It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blatant voter-suppression tactics at work in Wisconsin

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I always get a good chuckle out of voter-suppression stories.

If you're stupid enough to fall for stuff like this maybe it's best you didn't vote in the first place.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I always get a good chuckle out of voter-suppression stories.

If you're stupid enough to fall for stuff like this maybe it's best you didn't vote in the first place.

Yeah.

And your posts are always a chuckle.

Do you everr actually add anything to the conversation?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty
reply to post by Annee

So you heard something on the radio that's "apparently" a problem and you're asked the very questions you ask but you have nothing to prove there is a problem in the first place.

I'm not going to play "Twist n Shout" with you.

You know - - you can't answer the question - - so you turn it back on the original poster who asked you the question.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
I think we are beyond the point that we should worry about someone born and lives in some backwaters place where they have zero proof of anything.

So - you agree with disenfranchising a citizen of their constitutional right?

Not their fault when and where they were born.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

So you heard something on the radio that's "apparently" a problem and you're asked the very questions you ask but you have nothing to prove there is a problem in the first place.

I'm not going to play "Twist n Shout" with you.

You know - - you can't answer the question - - so you turn it back on the original poster who asked you the question.

Annee, I'm simply asking you about a subject you seemed concern about but you also seem to be using it as a. crutch to demonize people instead of doing any research or making a couple of simple phone calls and asking the local or state officials how they handle 90 year old people who don't have a birthcertificate or SS #.

What are you proposing?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Annee, I'm simply asking you about a subject you seemed concern about but you also seem to be using it as a. crutch to demonize people instead of doing any research or making a couple of simple phone calls and asking the local or state officials how they handle 90 year old people who don't have a birthcertificate or SS #.

What are you proposing?

I listened to the talk show discussion. You didn't.

I asked you a question from the show.

All you want to do is play "Twist n Shout" - - - and avoid answering the question.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well Well.

Let's think hear for a minute.

I know.

Why doesn't Acorn and other groups simply assist these disenfranchised people ????

Or have they been ????

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Well Well.

I know.

Why doesn't Acorn and other groups simply assist these disenfranchised people ????

Or have they been ????

Apparently not this 90 year old woman.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
So, the entire voting nation is to base their entire voting rules off of one 90 year old woman? One? Believe me, if there were two the left would go through hell and high water to have both on the show (but, wouldn't think of lifting a finger to help her get an i.d., cause then she'd be of no use)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

What are you proposing?

I listened to the talk show discussion. You didn't.

I asked you a question from the show.

All you want to do is play "Twist n Shout" - - - and avoid answering the question.

WOW!
OK Annee, I'll answer you again. I said I would make some phone calls to my local and/or state officials. That I would have taken care of the problem a long time ago.
The situtation you brought up isn't a crisis, it can be dealt with. I'm quite sure its been dealt with more than once already.
So if I understand you correctly, you would prefer no ID requirement whatsoever over ID requirement because there are elderly people living in the hills of a state who don't have a birth certificate?
Did it ever occure to you that they would have already taken care of the bc if they wanted to? Maybe they would prefer people like you to mind your own business and leave them alone. Maybe they choose to live under the grid?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Well Well.

I know.

Or have they been ????

Apparently not this 90 year old woman.

Can you confirm that the "90 year old woman" was in fact genuine ?

Radio shows use shills sometimes.

edit on Jun-07-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

WOW!

OK Annee, I'll answer you again. I said I would make some phone calls to my local and/or state officials. That I would have taken care of the problem a long time ago.

Well you do that. And when they ask you to prove she was born here - - let me know how you get that answer.

The situtation you brought up isn't a crisis, it can be dealt with. I'm quite sure its been dealt with more than once already.

Find the source of that "dealt with" for me.

So if I understand you correctly, you would prefer no ID requirement whatsoever over ID requirement because there are elderly people living in the hills of a state who don't have a birth certificate?

You have to be a registered voter.

Did it ever occure to you that they would have already taken care of the bc if they wanted to? Maybe they would prefer people like you to mind your own business and leave them alone. Maybe they choose to live under the grid?

Uh huh - - - and that's why she was interviewed for a Radio Talk Show.

edit on 7-6-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

"Dealt with" means I would or the person in question or whomever, would seek advice from local ans or state officials as to the steps needed to be taken in order to fulfill whatever requirments were asked.

Now please answer my questions.
As per what you stated earlier, ...Do you feel there should be no ID requirement to vote, if there are elderly people living in the back woods of a state, who have no birth certificate?
OR
Do you think ID should be a requirement when voting?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
You pay taxes.

Your name is on the rolls.

Why should you have to show an ID?

How does anyone know you are really that person who you say you are? There are very few things that anyone can do without ID.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

"Dealt with" means I would or the person in question or whomever, would seek advice from local ans or state officials as to the steps needed to be taken in order to fulfill whatever requirments were asked.

Now please answer my questions.
As per what you stated earlier, ...Do you feel there should be no ID requirement to vote, if there are elderly people living in the back woods of a state, who have no birth certificate?
OR
Do you think ID should be a requirement when voting?

I feel you just want to argue to argue. I don't do that.

I have already stated (twice I think) ALL have voter ID or none.

Everyone still has to be registered to vote. I don't believe there is any state you just walk in the door and vote - - without checking your name against your voting address.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword[/i ]

Even so, don't you think it's stupid for the Governor to go after the unions when he should be thinking about creating jobs, balancing costs and you know, actually doing something for the people of his state?

I don't like unions, some are good, but many suck the life out of companies and workers. In the case with the Governor he went after collective bargaining for public workers. I think it is redicious that public workers would have a union in the first place and I think it is insane they might have a collective bargaining tool.

BTW didn't he wipeout a 6 billon dollar deficit? Getting rid of the public worker collective bargaining tool will help Wisconsin in more way than you know.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
I think we are beyond the point that we should worry about someone born and lives in some backwaters place where they have zero proof of anything.

So - you agree with disenfranchising a citizen of their constitutional right?

Not their fault when and where they were born.

Well no, I just think it is a weak argument in 2012 to suggest that the requirement for a photo ID to vote is some how "disenfranchising a citizen".

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You asked another poster to solve a problem you presented so I asked you the exact questions you asked him. By asking your questions to you, you accuse me of "twist and shout". That's quite telling.

You speak about hearing an interview on the radio of a 90 year old black woman who was "born in the deep south of illiterate black share croppers", who claims to be an active voter but she has no birth certificate, SS card, and "no family member- no relatives- no living friends - - that witnessed the birth".

So I guess she would prefer to argue "voter suppression" as oppossed to spending her limited time seeking Social Security benefits?
After all, according to the little information you give, this lady is apparently and most likely living a very lonely existance and everyone has either died off or wasn't a witness to her birth.

Did she explain how she's able to survive without assistance from family or SS?

May I ask which radio station and name of the host and name of the show you're speaking about?
Did the host offer any assistance for this unfortunate woman?
I'd also like an approx. date and time of when the show broadcasts if possible.
Did the lady mention ever being married? Children?

I know voter fraud is alive and well but I seriously doubt there is "blantant" voter suppression in the case you you're presenting.
I will research this with the information you give.
edit on 8-6-2012 by sweetliberty because:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I called three different states. I gave the information of a 90 year old woman who has a history of voting but she has no Birth Certificate, drivers license, or Social Security Card. I asked if this woman would be allowed to vote in the November elections regardless of showing an ID or not. I also mentioned this 90 year old woman was supposedly interviewed by a talk radio show host.
The first call was to my state.

Lake County Supervisor of Elections
Emogene W. Stegall, Supervisor
(352) 343-9734
I was told due to the age of this woman, she would not have to appear in person to vote. She would receive an absentee ballot in the mail and her signature would be matched against her signature on file.
If in person, she would fill out a Previsional Ballot and her signature would be matched against the signature on file.

West Virginia Supervisor of Elections
(304) 728-3386
I was given the same information as Florida. The person on the other end of the call said she had not heard of such a thing as this. She hadn't encountered ANY person who claimed not to have a SS card or Birth Certificate.

Elections Branch of the Office of the Secretary of State of Kentucky
(502) 564-3490
The office personal forwarded me to the Secretary of State voicemail. I left a message so I hope someone calls me back.

From one Non Republican to another, I say you fabricated this story!
In one breath you claim Republicans commit voter fraud/suppression much more than Democrats do and in another breath you claim an interview of an elderly woman who's vote will be suppressed due to a lack of identifaction and then continue to argue that Republicans are neo cons who supress the unfortunate.
As a staunch advocate for children and the elderly, I had to find out for myself if an elderly persons vote would be refused. I'm satisfied (enough) with the answers I was given.
Had this 90 year old woman appeared for the first time to register to vote, I was told she wouldn't have been dismissed. They said they would have worked with her.
Unless you can show some kind of proof of what you claim, I consider you a disgruntled lefty who's still sore from the Wisconsin elections.
edit on 8-6-2012 by sweetliberty because: to complete a sentence

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

From one Non Republican to another, I say you fabricated this story!

In her defense there are a bunch of stories out there that they go on to say represents millions of like people in the same situation....

Thelma Mitchell

Thelma is a 93-year-old woman who cleaned the Tennessee Capitol for 30 years. She never received a birth certificate, however, because she was delivered by a midwife in Alabama in 1918 and there was no record of her birth. When she attempted to obtain a voter ID, she was turned away for lack of a birth certificate by a clerk who suggested she could be an illegal immigrant.

Sounds so made up...as I said I'm sure there would be some way to work this if it was true.

Virginia Lasater

Virginia is a 91-year-old woman who has been active in political campaigns for 70 years Because of her advanced age, however, she is no longer able to stand for extended periods of time. When she attempted to obtain a voter ID, she was confronted with lines that stretched for several hours and no place to sit while she waited -- forcing her to abandon her effort to obtain an ID due to her physical constraints.

Call in for an appointment? "I'm 91 so I need an appointment" I would bet 100 bucks they would do it...

Darwin Spinks

Darwin is an 86 year-old World War II veteran. He was told to pay a fee before he could obtain a voter ID in Tennessee, despite the fact that charging someone to vote is unconstitutional.

Well make it free...BTW what was the fee, 5 bucks?

Rita Platt

Rita is a Wisconsin resident who was turned away from her attempt to obtain a voter ID because she required either a birth certificate or a passport to obtain one -- both of which can only be obtained if the voter pays a fee. Worse, in Wisconsin, voters must fill out a misleading form that suggests that they cannot obtain the birth certificate they need to obtain a photo ID unless they already have a photo ID.

Make the form easier to read...BTW get a copy of your lost BC...that is just ignorance to think you never need it, well if you are 90 you might not...hehe

Jessica Cohen

Jessica is a Texas resident who lost her license and other identification papers in a burglary. She now must also pay an unconstitutional fee in order to obtain the birth certificate she needs to obtain a new voter ID. Because Cohen lives in Texas, she will likely be able to vote in 2012 because the Department of Justice blocked Texas’s law under the Voting Rights Act -- although there is a high risk that the Supreme Court’s conservatives will declare the Voting Rights Act unconstitutional.

So now she is going to spend the rest of her life without a single document...never going to drive again, never going to do anything that may require an ID since all hers got stolen...

Easy fixes all, and after the first year or so there would not be these issues anymore.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join