It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4,000 years ago, climate change caused massive civilization collapse

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

4,000 years ago, climate change caused massive civilization collapse

Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia may be the best known of the first great urban cultures, but the largest was the Indus or Harappan civilization. This culture once extended over more than 386,000 square miles (1 million square kilometers) across the plains of the Indus River from the Arabian Sea to the Ganges, and at its peak may have accounted for 10 percent of the world population. The civilization developed about 5,200 years ago, and slowly disintegrated between 3,900 and 3,000 years ago — populations largely abandoned cities, migrating toward the east.

"Antiquity knew about Egypt and Mesopotamia, but the Indus civilization, which was bigger than these two, was completely forgotten until the 1920s,"...

As many of you know, I've done a few threads on Ancient and Lost Civilizations. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on another thread on this topic. So, While researching I just came across this article on the subject this morning during my usual surfing on the topic, I'm not thoroughly convinced of the date and age of their estimates on how far back the civilization/culture in the area goes [I feel it is much much older] but, I'm leaning towards accepting their date on when it finally fell apart...

Many feel [as do I] that the areas cultural beginnings happened offshore in a now submerged location just off the coast where when at around 9,000 or 10,000 BC the Coastlines were flooded out by the last of the ice age melt off. The people simply moved inland up the river valley where they began again.

Your thoughts?
edit on 1-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because:
9,0000 or 10,0000 BC? Changed to the correct esitmated age LOL

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It does seem that the oldest cities are now under water, which is why archaeology comes up woefully short in their estimation of "how old" civilization is, and where it originated. I haven't read much on it, but I imagine that the cutting edge of archaeology is now occurring by divers in the oceans of the world.

Wasn't Mohenjo Daru featured on "Ancient Aliens" as the city where it appears that a nuclear holocaust took place?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

They found "Slightly higher than average" radiation and a bunch of human skeletal remains lying huddled together face down in the streets and which showed no sign of scavenger mutilation/molestation of the bodies.

So, what does one deduce from that?
edit on 1-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

They found "Slightly higher than average" radiation and a bunch of human skeletal remains lying huddled together face down in the streets and which showed no sign of scavenger mutilation/molestation of the bodies.

So, what does one deduce from that?
edit on 1-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

One would deduce that all of history is written by the victor, and has been manipulated to fit someones scheme?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I can deduce nothing more than something bad happened quickly enough to cause people to have enough time to huddle together, but not enough time to run away. I'm not sure if there is a natural phenomenon that would cause higher radiation rates (such as, naturally occurring radon / radiation in the soil). Supposedly, the rocks there show signs of being exposed to extremely high heat, turning them glass-like. 'Tis a mystery!

Back on topic, I can't help but wonder if the fever that overtook the western world in the 1800s over all things Egyptian put archaeology on the wrong track, placing that area of the globe as the cradle of civilization. I tend to believe that Egypt and its achievements is due to knowledge from much older civilizations. One can easily imagine that people, due to their cities sinking, migrated to other places that were safer....And how far back does that go? Egyptian records of kings supposedly goes back some 30,000 years.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Oh,

I don't want to give it away but, I'm almost finished writing something along those lines. The whole ancient world holds a much deeper mystery than many can imagine. We, the modern world really need to start thinking outside the box. The signs are all around us.

Sorry for being so cryptic.....

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Slayer, as always, great read/research!!!

As mentioned above, history is written by victors, and in many cases in the Middle Ages, the Church was the victor.

I've always believed if you wanted to know the truth about everything, you'd need full access to the US government's warehouses and the Vatican's archives... between those two entities, you'd surely find all kinds of eye-opening revelations.

Great links and thread thus far, thanks!!!!

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Humanity in its current form has been around some 200-250k years, civilization rose in the the last 10k... Something seems off about that to me...

Thats from the current smartest of us is no smarter than the smartest man 250k years ago, we may have more "knowledge" but actual brain powers the same...

So it took humanity 200k years to get off is ass and do something? I think not.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is intersting to me, does this mean that the Ice age occured long before all of this, giving time for a civilazation to start, build, then pick up and move when sea levels changed, I can see this happening again and again and again.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The demise of most ancient civilizations coincides with previous passages of Planet X, which has a 3650 year orbit.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
This is intersting to me, does this mean that the Ice age occured long before all of this, giving time for a civilazation to start, build, then pick up and move when sea levels changed, I can see this happening again and again and again.

George Santayana said it best...

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

We have failed to study and learn from our ancestors... for all of our technological prowess, we understand very little, if anything, of the world we live on. We're more preoccupied with "American Idol" and the Kardashian's than learning the workings of our own planet and species. If ignorance is bliss, we are in absolute nirvana.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I thought they showed that the last major climate change happened 5200 years ago? Not 4000 years ago? Not to say it didnt happen, only data suggests that a severe and abrupt climate change happened almost over night globally 5200 years ago.

I know, i know.....prove it right? I don't feel like scouring the net for something I read 4 years ago atm.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The best way to look at this possible explanation is to take an inventory of how many cultures, civilizations around the globe began or "restarted" at or around 2,000 BC which is 4,000 years ago...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Awesome thread, Slayer, thanks. (s/f)
I agree, and I'm looking forward to your new upcoming thread. It seems most logical to me that ours -- the linear continuity of this go-round of 'civilization' -- is only the last in a long, long series of built-up and then doomed/destroyed/displaced prior episodes of similar prowess.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I think the Egyptians were the only ones who held on to and continued [Albeit watered down and diluted through time] their ancient heritage/knowledge till recorded history.

That's all I'll say about that for now.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Between 5000 and 10,000 years ago Nevada went from a state with one of the largest lakes(8,610 square mile Lake Lahontan)in it to a desert.
en.wikipedia.org...:Wpdms_shdrlfi020l_lake_lahontan_b.jpg

the native Americans living there turned from a fishing culture to a desert culture.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Very good.

That's exactly the type of info that should be collected and considered.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Awesome thread Slayer...thank ya.

My thoughts actually swayed off topic a bit...
As I thought to myself...
"I wonder if the ancient civilizations thought they could TAX their way out of climate change."
You know, like todays "leading experts" want to impose a global carbon tax.
Because we all know that taxes prevent climate change!

As if taxes will stop the Earth from changing.

Great read!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

There are underwater constructions off Japan that are tentatively dated at 12 to 15,000 years from present. Google
Brian Noble 'The Third Explanation' and download. There you will find the very latest information concerning who we are and where we came from. Hominids/Hominin's are far far, older than the 200,00 years ascribed to us, and as a science journalist I can prove it!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
The demise of most ancient civilizations coincides with previous passages of Planet X, which has a 3650 year orbit.

If that were true, then why don't any civilizations record such an awe-inspiring event?

Not even the Sumerian culture mentions this, though that's where your mentor Sitchin claimed to have gotten the info.

Sumer rose sometime around 4000 BC during the Uruk period. That means that your planet X must have returned since then. Say around 400 BC.

I'm sure you know that there were plenty of literate cultures by then, so why no reports of this?

Harte
edit on 6/1/2012 by Harte because: fat fingers

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join