It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deny Ignorance - A term which Americans find hard to understand

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
reply to post by Flavian

Once you break it into fractions (ex: Americans) the number gets smaller. Does 50 stupid Americans = All American members?

No

If you decided to read the freaking thread properly mate, i didn't state that every American is ignorant or arrogant. I didn't say that 50 Americans equaled all the American members. I was pointing something out in which i was sick off. Truly, many Americans on here are arrogant, and that is indisputable. Many Americans on here are ignorant, and that is indisputable. Many foreign members also share the quality, but at least they learn.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I was thinking of witing a thread just like this. I did one similar before but it was poorly recieved

What I was thinking,is that Amerca has cognitive dissonance.

The phrase was coined by Leon Festinger in his 1956 book When Prophecy Fails, which chronicled the followers of a UFO cult as reality clashed with their fervent belief in an impending apocalypse.[

Perhaps the most famous case in the early study of cognitive dissonance was described by Leon Festinger and others in the book When Prophecy Fails.[7] The authors infiltrated a religious group that was expecting the imminent end of the world on a certain date. When that date passed without the world ending, the movement did not disband. Instead, the group came to believe that they had been spared in order to spread their teachings to others, a justification that resolved the conflict between their previous expectations and reality.

en.wikipedia.org...

See,the UFO,represents Americas delusion that they are the "greatest" and that they are superior.

It is clear that America is no better than anyone else. Third happiest OECD nation behind Australia and Norway. Just another country. They dont even have a AAA credit rating for god sake. Their country is a mess. They cant pay their debt and China is buying their government amongst other things. The are not the "greatest". And Americas history has been sold as freat propaganda to them. They (not all) fully believe they are gods gift to the world. Our saviours. What a joke.

This is clear to all but them. Even though its obvious,they refuse to accept it.

They believe in a false prochecy even when it fails. In fact,its failure only strengthens their belief.

Imagine if you had a mate,and all he ever did was take credit for everything,and he didnt appreciate your help. And then he ran around constantly shouting "I AM THE GREATEST!". I dont hang out with dudes like that. Who would?

And yeah,whats with the mods? Anti-australian? Must be by ATS logic. Because you and I are anti-american so they say.

Great minds think alike

But I wonder if its ignorance or delusion? Maybe both.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Germanicus because: lots of speling errors (:

edit on 1-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

I was thinking of righting a thread just like this. I did one similar before but it was poorly recieved

What I was thinking,is that Amerca has cognitive dissonance.

The phrase was coined by Leon Festinger in his 1956 book When Prophecy Fails, which chronicled the followers of a UFO cult as reality clashed with their fervent belief in an impending apocalypse.[

Perhaps the most famous case in the early study of cognitive dissonance was described by Leon Festinger and others in the book When Prophecy Fails.[7] The authors infiltrated a religious group that was expecting the imminent end of the world on a certain date. When that date passed without the world ending, the movement did not disband. Instead, the group came to believe that they had been spared in order to spread their teachings to others, a justification that resolved the conflict between their previous expectations and reality.

en.wikipedia.org...

See,the UFO,represents Americas delusion that they are the "greatest" and that they are superior.

It is clear that America is no better than anyone else. Third happiest OECD nation behind Australia and Norway. Just another country. They dont even have a AAA credit rating for god sake. Their country is a mess. They cant pay their debt and China is buying their government amongst other things. The are not the "greatest". And Americas history has been sold as freat propaganda to them. They (not all) fully believe they are gods gift to the world. Our saviours. What a joke.

This is clear to all but them. Even though its obvious,they refuse to accept it.

They believe in a false prochecy even when it fails. In fact,its failure only strengthens their belief.

Imagine if you had a mate,and all he ever did was take credit for everything,and he didnt appreciate your help. And then he ran around constantly shouting "I AM THE GREATEST!". I dont hang out with dudes like that. Who would?

And yeah,whats with the mods? Anti-australian? Must be by ATS logic. Because you and I are anti-american so they say.

Great minds think alike

But I wonder if it ignorance or delusion? Maybe both.

Excellent analogy there

Everything you said is the truth. It doesn't matter if you say 50 Americans or 1 American, they will all take what you said as an insult. Most of the members on here (not all) are exactly what you and i have described!

As for ignorance and delusion, they definitely have both

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Daas, I haven't read this whole thread. I didn't feel the need to. Up until now, I have read your posts and threads giving you the benefit of the doubt. But this thread clinched it for me.

You are the epitome of the accusations you make. And isn't it interesting you can see in others what you refuse to see in yourself?

You have annihilated any respect or credibility I was trying to vest in you. Something only one other member has been able to do since I've been here. I'm just glad the handful of your countrymen/women I've known personally aren't like you. Because then Australia would indeed be a sad country. But because of those from your country I have known, I don't blame all Aussies for the behaviour you have exhibited.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Daas, I haven't read this whole thread. I didn't feel the need to. Up until now, I have read your posts and threads giving you the benefit of the doubt. But this thread clinched it for me.

You are the epitome of the accusations you make. And isn't it interesting you can see in others what you refuse to see in yourself?

You have annihilated any respect or credibility I was trying to vest in you. Something only one other member has been able to do since I've been here. I'm just glad the handful of your countrymen/women I've known personally aren't like you. Because then Australia would indeed be a sad country. But because of those from your country I have known, I don't blame all Aussies for the behaviour you have exhibited.

If you had of read the whole thread, i would have made myself clearer...

I don't understand how i am the epitome of such accusations. When i do not know something, i research. I don't continue to argue my point with flawed evidence. I try not to come off as arrogant even though i may do sometimes.

Okay, well i'm sorry you feel that way about me. I have to ask though, how have i destroyed the remaining respect of yours? I don't mind how you perceive me, as obviously, many members have already voiced their opinions regarding myself, and indeed Australia. You must be blind if you can't see that many members here are ignorant and/or arrogant. I said many American ATSers are arrogant/ignorant, it doesn't mean all of them are. I also said other ATSers exhibit the same problem.

Good day to you.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Since you had to single me out I;m here,
That's what you wanted, yes?
You know you're quite right:
I should have never bothered reading Churchill's history of the Second World War.
Filling my head with anti-Australian propaganda.
Neither of you could refute my points so you whine about me bashing Australia.

By all means, post the quotes where I "bashed" Australia so everyone can see what you're ranting about.
If you can't then maybe the problem is with you, not others.

It's not my fault Australia had no navy left to defend against Japan from attacking in 1942.
(blame Churchill for using them all up on Greece and North Africa)
Or maybe the Japanese didn't think there was anything worth taking there.
Nor is it incorrect to state the US joined the wars (WW1 and WW2) of the British empire before Australia joined "our" (the United States) wars.

Nobody is going to rewrite history books to accommodate your slighted pride over facts that make you uncomfortable. There is a difference between denying ignorance and ignorantly denying but maybe they teach that Australia beat Japan single-handedly, I'm not familiar with Australian public education but listening to you that must be the case since there's 2 of you that concur. (No, you can't vote facts out of existence either)

So please find those quotes of mine that are so demeaning.
Post them here for all to see.
I'll be waiting.

edit on 1-6-2012 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

ok, I'm confused

...was this thread posted as some kind of "bait" or "slam"? If so, sorry to have taken part in it, that's poor form

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

I don't kno wat givz U teh idae us merikans iz stoopid.

edit on 5/31/12 by FortAnthem because:
______________ extra DIV

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Very disappointed. I always loved Australia and dreamed of going there and enjoying the culture, the history, the interesting population and learning more about it.... but if this is an example of the midset there, my dream is shattered.
I always admired the determination of Australians, the ability to overcome obstacles put in their way, praised them for becoming a respectable nation after being settled by... well.... prison inmates...
Going from a penal colony to a sovereign nation was something I felt was admirable... but now, now I'm questioning that.
Congratulations daaskapital for giving the entire country a bad name in the mind of someone who was very favorable to it with your actions

I've never heard anyone (here in real life America) speak poorly of Australia, EVER, but apparently you feel they do. Perhaps the problem is with you, not with them.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I really dislike these threads. No offense meant to you, OP. But all these threads accomplish is division and hate.

We should be buiding each other up in such a way that when one makes a mistake, he/she feels comfortable with being corrected and shown the truth. That doesn't happen on a lot of ATS threads. Indeed, if you post a dissenting viewpoint chances are great that you'll get lambasted very quickly.

Are there ignorant Americans on here? But lets change one word and make this sentence even more accurate.

There are ignorant PEOPLE on here.

From every country, every continent, every political idealogy, every thought.

Let's stop pointing fingers at certain countries, move past the segregation.....
edit on 1-6-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

well.... prison inmates...

This is exactly what we are talking about.

Australia was settled be free settlers. We are not a bunch of convicts. From the start,free settlers. And since we have had many from other nation come here because its awesome. We are one but we are many.

You just insuled my homeland and you dont even know what you are talking about. Look into it. It is arrogant and ignorant. And obnoxious. And if that is the way you are,we dont want you here. So its fine you dont want to come.

I could save slave owners too you know.......

And what did you do? Watch a simpsons episode? Also England sent convicts to America before they sent them to Australia. Australia was a 'penial colony' to start but it was not settled by convicts. Free settlers. And we have a proud history. Eureka Stockade we stood up to the Red Coats and Peter Laylor rose to power. One of the first of many great Australians from our proud history.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I would dare say you "foreign members" are ignorant of Americans.

Actually, you display the very behavior you "hate".

You know nothing of Americans and the US, yet you post post post like you do.

Or you would not be proud of another "American hate thread"

ATS, you need to start pressing ALL breaking of the T&C. That includes the popular "@!(() Americans" Cause if I put "(!*!& Chinese" or "(!!&& the Jews" this thread would have been gone within minutes.

In fact, maybe I should make a thread specifically pointing this stuff out. I have never seen bigotry promoted in such a manner.

"Don't talk about weed but you go ahead berrate and abuse a whole section of our membership, just because of where they live"

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

well.... prison inmates...

This is exactly what we are talking about.

Australia was settled be free settlers. We are not a bunch of convicts. From the start,free settlers. And since we have had many from other nation come here because its awesome. We are one but we are many.

You just insuled my homeland and you dont even know what you are talking about. Look into it. It is arrogant and ignorant. And obnoxious. And if that is the way you are,we dont want you here. So its fine you dont want to come.

I could save slave ownwers too you know.......

If that is what you wish to believe, then believe it, but it was originally set up as a penal colony just as the first American settlers were fugitives from the religious theocracy of their country.
I often tell students, it doesn't matter where you came from, it's where you're going that counts and I will apply it to you as well. If you wish to dwell only in your history, you will never experience your future. Don't worry about who settled the country, worry about who is going to move it forward.

And what did you do? Watch a simpsons episode? Also England sent convicts to America before they sent them to Australia. Australia was a 'penial colony' to start but it was not settled by convicts. Free settlers. And we have a proud history. Eureka Stockade we stood up to the Red Coats and Peter Laylor rose to power. One of the first of many great Australians from our proud history.

You do realize that your edit completely contradicts what you had originally said don't you?
It's fine, do as you wish, but don't expect others to adhere to your alteration of history.

and yes, the entire state of Georgia was set up as a penal colony early in our history, so that entire area was settled by convicts. I'm not ashamed of that in any way. It shows that all people are able to choose what direction they go in, what future they build regardless of what their past may be.
edit on 1-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
You have the right to feel this way. Generally speaking you are probably even right (on some points). I'm even glad you changed your tone to include the notion that it isn't exactly all Americans, just the majority.
However how many of the exact same thread do you need? What do you hope this accomplishes that the last handful of anti-America threads didn't? People don't always change for people they love, let alone someone far away they will never meet. You have said you piece (several times) and we all know you feel this way. This is a troll thread. All your doing is chasing flags and stars at this point.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. -Albert Einstein

edit on 1-6-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: I've got a lov-e-ly bunch of coconuts, deed-a-lee-dee

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I find all these American bashing threads hilarious
This whole my history is more correct than your history bickering is only found in places like Australia or UK backed threads. It's sad that your nation and any closely tied nation/allies teach you all the American stereotypes.. sad part is you believe most Americans are dumb.

Just because you're butt hurt from a previous thread, you think creating a thread that offends Americans will make everything better.. what a sad and bitter person you must be.

edit on 1-6-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

f that is what you wish to believe, then believe it, but it was originally set up as a penal colony

I clearly said,it was set up as a Penal Colony. But it was settled by Free Settlers.
Here is an answer from a less obnoxious,insulting International citizen. Odds are,not American. the question is asking why Americans mainly,think Australia was settled by convicts. The answer is not perfect and could be better,but he is not ignorant or arrogant like you.

au.answers.yahoo.com...

Texbecause they are Ashamed of the fact that 50,000 to 60,000 convicts started the USA History lesson the First fleet Had free settlers Convicts and a Military detachment and Governors which included Lawyers Priests Blacksmiths etc and as the colonies grew they sent more Convicts which were Mostly Misdemeanours offences and once the colonise Reached 1 Million the British decided that Australia was self sustaining and stopped sending Convicts during the late 18th and 19th centuries, large numbers of convicts were transported to the various Australian by the British government. One of the primary reasons for the British settlement of Australia was the establishment of small penal settlements was to alleviate pressure on their overburdened correctional facilities. Over the 80 years more than 165,000 convicts were transported to Australia and Not one colony was a Full penal colony the free settlers were as it says free Australia’s acceptance of its convict background had improved dramatically since World War II. "The phenomenal rise of Australian genealogy is proof of this," To be descended from a convict now gives one a sense of being authentically Australian. We once had the distinction of being the only country in the world that systematically destroyed its official census records, in order to conceal the skeletons in the closets of our oldest families. This longstanding practice was overturned by legislation in 2000, and a recent census suggested that more than 20% of Australians claimed possible descent from a convict. That percentage is impossibly high, but it shows that convictism has become synonymous with Australianness. so as you can see there is only about 20 % from convict stock so the rest Must be free setlers Or like Myself an Imigrant from the Sixties But still from the old Dart

Free settlers setted Australia.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 31Bravo
I find all these American bashing threads hilarious
This whole my history is more correct than your history bickering is only found in places like Australia or UK backed threads. It's sad that your nation and any closely tied nation/allies teach you all the American stereotypes.. sad part is you believe most Americans are dumb.

Just because you're butt hurt from a previous thread, you think creating a thread that offends Americans will make everything better.. what a sad and bitter person you must be.

Why should you take offence? It is constructive criticism.

Why are you intent on perpetuating the American idiot stereotype? We know not all Americans are like that. And WW2 is a perfect example of history being different. America tells a different story to the truth. Most of you people believe it.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

And its not just me and Daas. The whole world is against you guys. Are you all really so egocentric?

And do you really believe this American propaganda? Or are the Europeans right?

I like the last line- "it might be time to start."

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

So you're saying your version is right and ours isn't? Prove it. Know what? YOU CAN'T. What you are doing is reinforcing the British and Aussie stereotypes by claiming you are the say all be all of history.. but you are not. This thread is nothing more than a hate thread on America in hopes to bring on confrontation with American ATS members. ETA: You, among others, may dislike American culture but I love it (whats left of it anyway). Show me a thread where American constantly bash UK or Aussie or any other nation for that matter.. its always the typical butthurt Aussie or Brit. Yes Americans are A holes.. but guess what.. we have the right to be

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 31Bravo

So you're saying your version is right and ours isn't? Prove it. Know what? YOU CAN'T. What you are doing is reinforcing the British and Aussie stereotypes by claiming you are the say all be all of history.. but you are not. This thread is nothing more than a hate thread on America in hopes to bring on confrontation with American ATS members.

Yes I can prove it. I know all about Yamamoto and his naval strategy before WW2 started. I am guessing you know little of Yamamoto.

I am also guessing that you think America won WW2. Say it.

edit- and Im guessing you base this on little knowledge and little fact.

edit- i didnt read your entire post because you are obviously obnoxious. But I just did then. I was right

Americans are A holes.. but guess what.. we have the right to be

Why do you have the right to be obnoxious again?

Funny thing is,you guys attack daas when he is trying to help you.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

See what I mean? you are basing judgments about my
level of education without even knowing for sure.. please, continue to prove me correct
Yes I know who Yomamato is.. I took AmHist1041 last semester. History is my favorite subject.. but thats not what you want to argue, your objective is to reinforce a stereotypical dumb American isnt that right?

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join