It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An apology to the masons.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Erbal

Besides the ritual catechism and modes of recognition, Brethren learn Parlimentary procedure through participation in Lodge meetings. Sometimes Lodge and GL history is discussed at the Festive board after a meeting or with ones mentor. In AASR the Master Craftsman course is designed to teach more about the Scottish Rite. More esoteric subjects are taught or learned at lectures or sometimes brethren will form a study group to learn more. I am a member of a study group that was formed by Freemasons, Co-Freemasons, Martinists and Rosicrucians to learn about QBL, alchemy and other topics. This group is private but is open to all.

Does that answer your question?
edit on 30-5-2012 by no1smootha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by no1smootha

Technically, my question has been answered but my level of understanding remains the same... I just really do not understand Freemasonry exclusively using the information provided by good-standing Masons themselves.

Thanks for all the responses but honestly, it's exhausting to do a Q&A with Masons. New questions spawn from the ashes of any question that is answered, and then there are some things which simply cannot be answered. And I feel like I need to walk on eggshells if I dare resort to speculating despite the fact this entire subject is convoluted by design, and I just might get burned at the stake as an anti-Mason if I post the wrong kind of conjecture.

I'm absolutely missing a big enough piece of this puzzle for it to make sense to me, unless of course I speculate beyond the words of good-standing, living Masons.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
delete
edit on 30-5-2012 by bowtomonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
i dont know if this has any revelence, but the illuminate are everywhere i just learned and im so interested. i just want to talk forever about it. lol

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

ATTENTION!

This thread is out of control and it will get under control immediately!

Any future posts which are directed toward other members instead of the topic, are insulting toward other members, are concerned with staff actions, or contain any breach of the ATS Terms & Conditions will subject the poster to unpleasant consequences.

TheRedneck
ATS Forum Moderator

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Erbal

Why don't you read some of the books written by Masonic authors that are on Phoenixmasonry, sacred texts, or one of the other archives. This will give you a good overview of the Fraternity so you can better frame your questions. An inquisitive mind is a good thing, far better than one that asks nothing and receives nothing.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by protocolsoflove

That is an excellent site of information. I love their references so I can search myself.

reply to post by Erbal

Outside of the basic mentoring of a new candidate and Brother, it is dependent on each Lodge. I'm one of the Lodge Education officer and monthly I do a lecture on various things about Masonry. Like several years ago I did a lecture on why the Jr. & Sr. Deacon carry the blue rods.

The lack of education and standards is one of my belly-aches against my Fraternity.

Right now I'm working on a piece that is kind of a "charge to the officers which combines what they were charged with at installation, some duties pulled from the degree & lecture work, and some from my own opinion based on research.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason

That's the exact kind of thing that makes me interested. It seems like if the people performing a rite don't really bother to read about the reason or meaning that the rite could not be performed correctly. It is through the understanding of symbols and the history and meaning of things that you can begin to understand why people are using a blue rod and to also understand the purpose of the rite as a whole.

I mean some kid could pick up Merlin's staff and couldn't get anything to happen because he doesn't have the understanding and wisdom.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by enlightendperson
i dont know if this has any revelence, but the illuminate are everywhere i just learned and im so interested. i just want to talk forever about it. lol

You and me both. Some claim they were ended centuries ago yet curiously their symbols remain prevalent today! The masons say that the pyramid on the dollar bill is not a masonic symbol. I ask you then, whose symbol is it?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I agree with you. Geez, if we keep meeting like this, people are going to start talking.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I, too, would like to know the answer to this question.

Why is the pyramid so strongly connected with the Masons?

Is its significance and origin a subject that Masons are sworn to keep secret?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

The unfinished pyramid and all seeing eye on the top are not specifically Masonic in origin but its symbolism would fit in quite well, which is why it is commonly described as being such. Much as many other symbols seen throughout the world are similar in appearance but different in origins.

From what I understand the unfinished pyramid represents mans quest for ultimate knowledge (as an individual man, and or society as a whole), which of course why its unfinished. And what the eye is representing, according to who you ask, can mean a wide variety of things. God is the final answer, God is always watching, ect ect….

There are a lot of cool parlor tricks surrounding the emblem on the bill. My favorite one though is where you can draw the star of David between the lettering which spells the word MASON. Too cool in my opinion, and as much as I would like to think that was done intentional (in a national treasure sort of way) probably just a coincidence. Or not, don’t know.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

The pyramid is often associated with and used in modern Masonry due to the lodges origins themselves. The pyramids being built by operative masons (actual stoneworkers), which were considered traveling lodges, free to cross borders at will (hence FREEmasons), later birthing the speculative masons, which is the fraternal order you know today.

Speaking of the time of the pyramids…..

Most people outside the lodge don’t really understand the reasons for the handshakes and words, but it all comes from operative masons too. Back in the day, during the building of the pyramids and such, stone masons would travel from place to place (traveling lodges) building stuff, and would seldom speak the same language as in the areas they were working. Example, Egyptian masons travel to Greece to build a building or vise versa. So in order to receive their wages they would have to present proof of their level of skill, which was done in the form of different handshakes and words learned at each level (or degree) to be paid accordingly.

I know that’s really off of the question topic but though it would be interesting information.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Erbal

***I feel like I need to walk on eggshells***

I missed the last couple of post before they were removed so I am not sure what I missed, but I don’t think you should feel like you have to walk on egg shells. The questioning of anything you don’t understand is a good thing, just make sure you acquire your answers from as close to the source as possible, and be ready for a variation of interpretations and answers.

If you have any specific or general questions regarding the lodge I will try and answer as much as I know and without prejudice or judgment concerning the questions content.

I don’t claim to know everything about Masonic activities, but I am pretty involved in my lodge and I have been around the block, sort of speak. So feel free to ask.

I enjoy sharing the knowledge I have gained, and equally enjoy learning from others. No questions, if presented in earnest and have at least some level of respect, will be ignored.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join