It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mount St. Helens Erupts; Magma Eruption Expected

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I shall happily take pictures from where im at if it errupts, but yesters trip to chehalis was enough for me

If it goes, everyone will be able to see it up here.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
In the last week there have been over 1300 quakes in California in the last hour there have been around 10 stretching from the Imperial Valley in the south to San Jose. Most of them along the San Andreas at a depth of 5 km, the same as the Parkersfield event.
Standard USGS, blah, blah, blah, in the past has always been, "these are isolated events".
I don't think so!

TUT

USGS responds to Volcano Activity and New Unrest in Alaska, Washington, and Hawaii
Scientists are responding to several volcanoes in the United States that are erupting or showing signs of restless activity in order to provide up-to-date hazard assessments and warnings of potential eruptions to the public. See current updates for the latest.

continued here

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

[edit on 2-10-2004 by tututkamen]

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I live on the east side on the state and don�t expect much to happen over here. However, we did get slammed in the 1980 eruption so if something like that happens again I will be sure to get pictures.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I was watching MSNBC Time and Again yesterday.
They had all the footage and news stories from the
first surprise eruption May 1980. People were
incinerated in their cars 11 miles away .... people
were burned from the eruption heat blast 30
miles away.

I was living in CT at the time and I remember a thin
film of ash/dirt on the cars. I remember thinking about
the poor people who lived down wind from that
volcano. YIKES.

Now I have a daughter with Asthma. I can't help but
feel for the people with breathing problems. This is
REALLY going to mess them up. I sympathize. I hope
everyone is okay and the poor Asthma folks are able
to get out from under the ash cloud NOW.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I wasnt born yet, but I was told that in the Okanagan Valley in B.C. we had ash from that 1981 blast.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam is showing blank right now. Did it blow?

www.fs.fed.us...

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by neverfear
Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam is showing blank right now. Did it blow?

www.fs.fed.us...

working fine for me

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Image clear for me now too, and I found the problem.

"The problem resides with the Forest Service national web server" (below)

www.fs.fed.us...

Webmaster Update - October 02, 2004 at 7:30 pm PDT - The USGS issued a Level III Volcano Alert today, which included the evacuation of the Johnston Ridge Observatory. The VolcanoCam is now the closest operating camera to Mount St. Helens. It continues to function with no problem.

We captured all images of yesterday's eruption and plan to do the same for today's event. Watch for the update to the VolcanoCam web site in the next few days.

If you experience problems connecting to this site, please be patient. The problem is not with the VolcanoCam. It continues to function and transmit images. The problem resides with the Forest Service national web server. We are working with folks in Washington, DC, to correct this.

We remain in close contact with USGS/Cascades Volcano Observatory, in Vancouver, Washington and the University of Washington Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network.

For the latest information, check our our Special Conditions Report for any current activity.

BTW-I'm located down wind...

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by neverfear
Image clear for me now too, and I found the problem....

Yeah, a lot of people try to against it, overloads the server.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm watching cnn right now waiting to see if it will erupt big.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Sorry I don't have time to read all the posts this a.m. Hope this isn't a repeat, but thought it was interesting:

Mexico's 'Volcano of Fire' Spews Lava

Fri Oct 1, 2:27 PM ET

By GUILLERMO ARIAS, Associated Press Writer

YERBABUENA, Mexico - Western Mexico's "Volcano of Fire" unleashed a towering column of smoke and ash Friday, after ropes of burning, orange lava poured from its peak overnight.

AP Photo
Slideshow: Mexico's Colima Volcano

A light coating of ash dusted nearby communities that are home to about 600 people. Authorities were on heightened alert but said they had no plans to order evacuations.

"The volcano is very active but has not yet reached a risk level that would prompt an evacuation," said Melchor Urzua, director of emergency response teams for Colima state.

Known in Spanish as "Volcan del Fuego," the 12,533-foot-high mountain straddles the border of Colima and Jalisco states, 300 miles west of Mexico City.

Earthquakes (news - web sites) and explosions of hot rock within the volcano began Wednesday, provoked by the collapse of a dome that formed recently in its center. Small landslides tumbled down the volcano's northern and western slopes. Lava flowed Thursday night and early Friday morning.

"The incandescent material won't affect nearby communities because it's running off into valleys," said Jorge Sapien, a spokesman for Jalisco emergency teams.

A major eruption in 1999 sent glowing rock three miles down its slopes and fired a plume of ash more than 5 miles high.

In 1913, an explosion created a crater 1,650 feet deep, blasted fast-moving flows of hot ash down the volcano's slopes and rained ash on Guadalajara, 75 miles to the north.

Vulcanologists consider the Colima volcano to be one of the most active and potentially the most destructive in central Mexico.

It has erupted violently dozens of times since its first recorded eruption in 1560.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
*off topic*
These look like a decent size quake. Please note, I know very little about quakes, tremors ect.

Data from station TIXI (Tiksi, Russia)
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...
from
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Sanc'.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
CNN isn't saying much about the quake now . They did say they are evacuatign people within 5 miles of the area and it is now level 3 which means eruption is imminent.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm curious about a few things regarding the first erruption. Does anyone remember how large of an area was evacuated? Is it the same area that has now been evacuated? Also, does anyone remember how long after people were evacuated that the large erruption actually happened?

TIA for any info.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The safe area was outside 3 miles. It wasn't much of an eruption. Just some smoke and a few explosions.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Main story updated per USGS press conference at 12:30pm EST Sunday.

CO2 gas detected
What appears to be a new crack in the lava dome

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The harmonic data is not as steady as it was yesterday afternoon, but there are still plenty of "spikes" in it. USGS now has a page just for MSH quakes.

ufile1.u.washington.edu...

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
For all of you visual learners out there, this is my favorite place of the moment to check on the seismic activity for Mt. St. Helens www.pnsn.org...

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tusayen
For all of you visual learners out there, this is my favorite place of the moment to check on the seismic activity for Mt. St. Helens www.pnsn.org...

Yup, a very good one. Try this though.
www.pnsn.org...
The one your pointing to is just for this AM's activity. The above link will take you to a page that lists stations in the area. It has links to past and current data. So after 12P PST you can get the link to the newest data. Towards the bottom of this page you will find links for 3 stations near MSH. The most dramatic one is the one from the south-ridge

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Thank you much... will adjust my settings...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join