It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Real life Inception: Two mad scientists create sleep mask that lets people CONTROL their dreams

page: 1
26
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Real life Inception: Two mad scientists create sleep mask that lets people CONTROL their dreams


www.dailymai l.co.uk

In a twist straight out of the movie Inception, a duo of developers from Brooklyn, New York, have built a sleeping mask designed to allow people to have lucid dreams that they can control.

While it may look like a standard sleeping mask, Remee has been billed as a special REM (Rapid Eye Movement) enhancing device that is supposed to help steer the sleeper into lucid dreaming by making the brain aware that it is dreaming.

The goal of the product is to allow people to have the dreams of their choice, from driving a race car to flying to having lunch with Abraham Lincoln.

Read more: http
(visit the link for the full news article)


edit on 21-5-2012 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2012 by grey580 because: Had to fix the headline




posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This is very cool.
I always wanted to be able to do some lucid dreaming.
And now these guys have developed a way to do it.
And just with some light patterns.
Makes you wonder if you can do this with some other sort of input such as sound or something similar.

I'm curious also to know how does the device detect your REM?
And right now it's pretty pricey. I hope we get to see this sucker on tv for 19.99 soon. lol

www.dailymai l.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I have always thought ...

Are our dreams ... memories of another life we had/have?



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!


This is as close to a V.R technology as were gonna get right now. Heck, mabye even more so. This is awesome. We dont even really know where and how dreams are formed. We have theories.

EDIT: ONLY 95$ !!! I will be ordering mine next week. Will keep you posted on effectivness.
edit on 21-5-2012 by AaronWilson because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I thought "I don't care how much it costs. I want one!"
$1000... lol nope.
$95? Ehhh pushing it considering the materials are a few LED lights, a timing/sequence chip(not very technical term w/e fu), a few batteries, and probably the most expensive part, a comfy sleeping mask.

Incredible idea if it works though.

Now.. need to hurry up and patent a version that incorporates binaural sound....

Edit: Sitting here contemplating the story and I remember that I had my first lucid dream recently and unintentionally. I recognized I was in a lecture hall in a dream and I tested my theory by groping the girl next to me. She freaked out and I decided that I had just woken from sleeping in class, effectively tricking myself into thinking I was awake during my dream. It ended up being a fairly long dream I think and I was able to remember most of it when I finally woke up. Kind of a mind-f when I woke up but I'm still sane so...


Interesting implications.
edit on 5/21/2012 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Total Recall 2012. Madness, I'd try it!

I wonder if there's any danger in using such a device



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
Total Recall 2012. Madness, I'd try it!

I wonder if there's any danger in using such a device


YOLO!!!!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 22-5-2012 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580


This is very cool.
I always wanted to be able to do some lucid dreaming.
And now these guys have developed a way to do it.
And just with some light patterns.
Makes you wonder if you can do this with some other sort of input such as sound or something similar.

I'm curious also to know how does the device detect your REM?
And right now it's pretty pricey. I hope we get to see this sucker on tv for 19.99 soon. lol

www.dailymai l.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)


I'd read again the first two words of the first paragraph..... "The goal". It's not suggesting it will control the content of dreams as things stand, but allowing your mind to enter a state where you will dream. I think even then, assuming it works, it will have different results for different people even to get them into that dream state. It's not at anything like the stage where it will control - or at let you control - what you actually dream about.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I saw the article earlier, but read more about it. You can do the same with lucid dreaming, and I think this device is meant as an assist to lucid dreaming.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by something wicked
 


well the idea is that you'll be able to pick up on the pattern of the lights in your dream allowing you to recognize you are dreaming.
Or actually allow you to enter a state of lucid dreaming.

I bet it would work too.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I saw the article earlier, but read more about it. You can do the same with lucid dreaming, and I think this device is meant as an assist to lucid dreaming.

Correct - all these are supposed to do is let you realize that you're dreaming so your...conscious?...mind can take over and craft the dream.

What I'm not understanding about this is...I've seen pretty much identical products advertised before, years ago. Some using sound in addition to the lights. Not sure why this is showing up in the news now, unless those just tanked outright and society forgot that this isn't a new concept?

Either that, or I've popped in from an alternate universe or otherwise survived the trip down the memory hole...either of which is depressing, considering what knowledge they LEFT me with...
edit on 5/21/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Hmm, so you have to be sleeping for 4-5 hours before it turns on. I guess for people who wake up a few times during their sleep this will not be very effective, and according to the inventor who uses it himself its not guaranteed to work every time. Seems much more practical to just try and "coach" yourself into lucid dreaming without some unnecessary device, people have been doing it for centuries



The device will wait for four to five hours for the sleeper to get into the heavy REM stages before the red lights turn on.......Frazier said that he uses his Remee several times a week, but he admitted that reaching a state of lucidity can be 'hard' and does not happen every time.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well... you could keep on excersing daily with common actions like turning on the lights or touching walls while asking yourself "am I sleeping?". Do it enough times and eventually you'll end up asking yourself that question in a dream... to which the answer will be "yes..." hello lucidity.

But yeah... it's damn hard. So far I've gotten clear lucidity once, and I got so excited I flew right out of the dream!

I think I can get it again though, me dreams are pretty vivid and I've been training myself to remember the dream right after I wake up or atleast within the first 5 min.

95 dollars.... still sounds like a rip off for something that can be achieved for free :S

Hey, also try the two half table tennis balls; sit in a quite room with no disturbance, put the two halfs on your eye sockets and shine a lamp with a red bulb on yourself and sit with your eyes open. Should be a real treat



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Dailymail haz too many boobs and butts I cannot read!



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Inception, you got a motha dreamin' dreamin.




posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This was out in the 70s to enable you to reach Theta so you could control your thoughts as I recall.It was set in a goggle frame frame back then.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580
 


I want no part of it.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echotebarknwhale
Hmm, so you have to be sleeping for 4-5 hours before it turns on. I guess for people who wake up a few times during their sleep this will not be very effective, and according to the inventor who uses it himself its not guaranteed to work every time. Seems much more practical to just try and "coach" yourself into lucid dreaming without some unnecessary device, people have been doing it for centuries



The device will wait for four to five hours for the sleeper to get into the heavy REM stages before the red lights turn on.......Frazier said that he uses his Remee several times a week, but he admitted that reaching a state of lucidity can be 'hard' and does not happen every time.

The old masks they used to sell for this some time back used to claim to detect your REM directly, to trigger the lights at the right time.

Seems like we're taking steps backward with this technology? This definitely isn't the first time these have come up.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Lol can I just say that products such as these have been out for YEARS!



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Sweet! Now maybe I can quit having dreams of being at work, just to wake up and actually go to work. Do you know how exhausted that makes you? Its terrible. really!



new topics

top topics



 
26
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join