It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real life Inception: Two mad scientists create sleep mask that lets people CONTROL their dreams

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherHumanBeing
My most recent one included a zombie apocolypse which was soo cool, like being in my own movie!

I had a lucid dream one time that can only be described as a "hell apocalypse"; I probably played too much doom back in the day, but it is still the best game ever made. It is kind of weird how it wasn't so much scary as it was adventurous. I suppose our subconscious is growing less and less superstitious about things as time goes on, things that would have been horror movies a few decades ago are now adventure/survival films.

Or maybe we are vastly underestimating the reality of danger.
edit on 22-5-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Heck makes you wonder if the movie inception was science fiction after all.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Hmm, as someone who can regularly lucid dream when I want to and still quite often when I don't, I'm really interested in testing this too see how effective it is when you don't setup mental cues and such to ensure you can induce the lucidity you desire.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I preordered.

Ty OP

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by kickstart
reply to post by n00bUK

I can think of one, the danger of people never wanting to wake up to the real world. Dream control and vr would be great entertainment but like many things in society would become increasingly addictive and like most things moderation would be key.

Luckily it is impossible to stay lucid for longer than your REM periods. You are usually considered lucky if you get 30mins of lucidity without waking.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Nice technology but are you really in control?

Just because you've realized that you're dreaming, it doesn't give you 100% full control. I am speaking from personal experience.

I've tried to control my own lucid dreams when I was a teenager.

I tried for 2 weeks straight, following a few methods that a friend taught me. It's actually quite simple, just keep repeating that you're dreaming and keep thinking that you're about to enter a dream state, I kept thinking that I could fly. By the third week, it worked for me, I was able to control one of my dream sessions and I was able to "fly" like Superman

However, what came quickly after, was the experience of fear. Fear of everything. I can't really explain it but somewhere in the middle of my flying session, I started to freak out, suddenly realizing that I'm not supposed to be able to fly, this is not normal! So next thing you know, I started to fall, losing the ability to remain in air.

Right when I was falling down, I had another sensation. Somewhere from the dark corners of my eyes and felt like something was coming out of the abyss. Something scary, something monster like and I won't like it.

Suddenly, I scared myself wide awake.

The point I'm trying to make, is that you don't know what kind of affects this machine will bring. Controlling your lucid dreams perfectly, requires you to conquer your own inner fears. If you get fearful in a lucid dream, things could get real ugly real fast.

For instance, in a lucid dream state, you could probably manifest the most absolutely scariest thing you've encountered in your life time. Again, your brain/subconscious is playing the trick. Your brain knows exactly what you fear the most and if you're unable to conquer that fear and have nothing to be afraid for, your dreams can never be fully controlled.

Just my opinion, of course.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I've been able to control my dreams for the last 7 years, I find myself aware that i am dreaming when something doesn't quite add up, from that point on i'm aware i'm dreaming and in complete control, changing locations, spawning people and objects, giving myself funky powers, always found it odd no one else could do this

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I was able to lucid dream in about 10 days by doing the following.

Every 15 minutes of so say out loud (in a quiet voice if you're at the office) "Is this a dream?"

Get used to saying this about 50 times per day.

Then, when you're dreaming this will pop into your mind and you basically become completely conscience in your dream state. It's awesome!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wow, its kinda cool actually. If I could put myself into a lucid dream on my own schedule, I would be so excited!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
You don't Need a magical device strapped to your head to lucid dream.

You only have to train your brain to recognize when your dreaming, and its quite simples!

I first stumbled upon it when I was around 8-10 years old,

after heavy re-occurring nightmares about a large painting of a tiger we've always had in our house,

it always started the same, I'd be in my house just walking about and Id notice this paining but it was always different as in every time I'd look at it the tiger was in a slightly different position! and I knew something was wrong, every time I glanced at it, it looked more & more menacing, & eventually it jumps out of the picture and chases me down stairs! sometimes eating ,me or gnawing on my limbs.

Pretty traumatic!

had them for a long time, hundereds of times until eventually It just was not scary anymore! and thats when the Lucid dreaming started.

it was just the norm in ym dream now & the tiger looks different but it does nopt jump out or frighten me.
I soon became a

"dream sign" !!

I'd have a dream and occasionally this would manifest, I'd see the painting & at that moment I'd realize I was dreaming.

IT was like being awake, but I could change things/fly, manifest things. I was too young to put it to any really interesting uses.

I recommend the book " Exploring the world of Lucid dreaming" by Stephen LaBerge.

Its a step by step book of how to create your own dream signs for you to recognize, IT starts off telling you to create a dream journal,

that it when you awake, write down your dreams, and by doing that your conditioning your brain to remember your dreams more vividly each night, thats when you can start the next step of creating dream signs & things for you to recognize your in a dream.

However this device would still be a great help. but I think you'd still have to do exercises from a book like the above.

these devices are not new, I seen one 7 years ago I was going to buy.

I got bored with lucid dream practice, & focused on Astral Projection where I had a lot more fun & some really weird things started to happen asleep & awake! I'm actually a bit scared to repeat practicing that as I became very sensitive to "other things" things & doors that maybe are ment to be closed and not to open them.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Interesting!

I have seen products like this in the past, but they were much more expensive, but if i remember it was the same. LEDs triggering you to "remember" you were asleep.

The problem with most lucid dream attempts, is when you realize your asleep, it "yanks" you out of the dream. One important tip, rub your DREAM hands together. No idea why this works, but it helps keep you anchored in the dream.

Another cool thing, find a mirror and look in it in your dream. Its never what you expect, and in itself is a great way to open a new lucid dream. If you see a mirror look into it. The bizzare things you will see with tell you "im dreaming".

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I look forward to sleeping ever since i learned to do this. When i tried to explain it tto someone i would be looked at like i was weird.
I enjoy flying. When im aware of being in a dream i just take off. Im practicing breaking thru walls. The mind is a powerful tool. With that in mind, in a dream the only limit is the one you set.
With these goggles beginners might not enjoy it fully. Reality might sneak into their dream and ground them like....like.....gravity. lol fear and reality are the enemy.
edit on 22-5-2012 by Taino because: Fly on!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This is in no way new tech.

I saw a sleep mask that did the same thing in a Sharper Image catalog over 10 years ago.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
thank you Im ordering mine now!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I mentioned Calea Dream Herb (Calea Zacatechichi) there's also Xhosa Dream Herb (Silene Capensis) and African Dream Root (Entada Rheedi) I forgot to mention. I have't grown the latter two yet as the seeds came back out of stock during my seed purchasing last year and I'm waiting for my seeds to arrive this year finally (from different suppliers). Apparently they all do roughly the same thing.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by faryjay

i have always thought that to ever since i had a dream about giant genitalia walking round in suits and talking to each other..... it seemed so real at the time, maybe in a paralell universe this is happening, really makes you think dosent it nothing is beyond possible...........i believe

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Aw man I loved Doom
... I remember the back of the first Doom PC box said "Frighteningly realistic graphics" hahahaha!!

yes your right, my mum said that would of been her nightmare... to me it was more like playing a game

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
I had a lucid dream one time that can only be described as a "hell apocalypse"; I probably played too much doom back in the day, but it is still the best game ever made. It is kind of weird how it wasn't so much scary as it was adventurous. I suppose our subconscious is growing less and less superstitious about things as time goes on, things that would have been horror movies a few decades ago are now adventure/survival films.

Or maybe we are vastly underestimating the reality of danger

Are you sure it wasn't a 'mere' vivid dream? Lucid is supposed to mean youre aware you're dreaming and ultimately you take control of it and bend its reality to your will. My dreams are so warped I prefer not to dream really. Too crazy. Funny thing is I grow dream herbs, I guess most of all I like plants that have such profound interaction with humans. Just got my Silene Capensis seeds in the mail. Maybe later I'll post a photo of my massive Calea Dream Herb plant that I grow in dry FLorida without watering or anything else'ing it. PM me if you're interested in the plant.

Although I haven't gotten around to even trying the Calea over the past year I have a theory that the dreams might not be more intense as people say, but the 'effect' might simply be it seems more profound as you have total recall of it (a widely confirmed effect) where normally it'd be vague and fuzzy right when you wake up to become almost completely forgotten in short time. It's interesting to me that such profound occurance can happen every night and almost completely get phased otut of your long term memory by days ends. Its effects on human memory therefore warrant more intensive study than there seems to be. Its also interesting to note that long term memories from your day arent truly stored into yours synapses until you sleep that night. I haven't done '___' (other than when dreaming) either but my understanding is it rips you into another world beyond what the other 'head substances' ever could, even to the point so far a lot of people cant recall much of the experience (just like a dream).

BTW Doom was awesome, I was the Doom chieftan and promoter on my entire lake, but nothing trumps Perfect Dark: the perfect game with the perfect controller (N64, although UGLY) to play it. 4 player split screen on the big screen an actual social game. 1 player Call of duty with crap analog sticks (literally the same part as goes in PS2/3 controllers) might look and move nice but its not the same as having a group of friends over all playing and talking smack. 'Connectedness" is literally disconnecting everyone (dont get me started on TXT's).

edit on 23-5-2012 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I haven't done '___' (other than when dreaming) either but my understanding is it rips you into another world beyond what the other 'head substances' ever could, even to the point so far a lot of people cant recall much of the experience (just like a dream).

Had to comment here. Bit of a psychonaut myself (or was), and have done a lot of "experimenting", both with lucid dreaming and the other substances you mentioned.

Not sure how much we can discuss about '___' here, but if i might suggest, salvia is a great, even legal substitute. '___', depending on how you do it, can last a long time. Salvia lasts maybe 5 minutes, can be legally bought in Canada and most US states at headshops, and can send you quite literally out of you body and mind in a way similar, but yet profoundly different than '___'.

The reason i suggest saliva is simple. If you have not had one of these sometimes life-changing out of body experiences, they can vary from heavenly and uplifting to a hellish, seemingly never ending nightmare. Being locked into such an experience for hours can be (and was for me) the most terrifying experience of my life. You often feel like you will never recover and at times simply forget who you are or what you are. Total and complete ego death. If you do decide to do one of these things, have someone experienced with you to guide you.

At the end of the day, i do not believe these substances do anymore than allow our minds to spin out of control and kill our ego, if temporarily. I dont think there is any profound knowledge to be gained. Something you experience on one trip can completely conflict with experiences on another, further muddying the waters.

I am pumped about this product! Ill wait to read some reviews and see if it does in fact help induce lucid dreams. If so, ill buy one in a second. Ive only had limited success with lucid dreams, having only a handful of full on experiences, but what i did experience left me wanting more. Doing anything i want with full control and no guilt! Yes sir!

edit on 23-5-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Cool. I can already do this. Been lucid dreaming since I was 12. Meditation is another way to control and "prep" yourself for a night of lucidity. Neat that they improved upon the "small flashes of light at the correct times to induce lucid dreaming."

This can help people that naturally have trouble lucid dreaming achieve the state.

There are also a lot of "at home" ways to induce lucid dreaming that follow the same basic principle as the mask.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join