It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Pool, other OWS livestreamers raided, detained

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Lots of OWS coverage live streamers are being raided and detained tonight, including Tim Pool just minutes ago. They stopped a car of respected livestreamers who have never been in trouble or involved in any police confrontations, with guns drawn and cuffed them all, while simultaneously another group on CPD raided the apartment they were staying at. A cop was overheard saying "we found them" during the car raid, and all of their belongings were taken away to be searched before being returned, their credit card and health insurance card numbers *written down*
and they were let go after about 10 minutes.

Live stream of Timcast up now

Tim said they are not going to sleep tonight without multiple streams running.

Video of the raid from Timcast

Tim explains what happened, other video

WeAreChange (in the group with Tim Pool) livestreaming right now

OWS report on raid with more streams and links
edit on 20-5-2012 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Unbelievable that the cops just did that to them with guns drawn. Don't think it was just a "co-incidence."
edit on 20-5-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
They're on their way back to the apartment right now to pick up their gear.....

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by robhines

Liberate yourself!

Go march with your brethren!

After all, takes an ewe to know you!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
ahahah yes this is getting interesting.

its gonna be a fun day

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Reminds of Stanford in 1972. "We" pissed of the pigs pretty good too.
"Tam, Tam he's your man. Send him off to Viet Nam!" I remember this scary looking chick with gloves ripping open a telephone switching cabinet in the Admin building. Instigator.

Stupid stuff.
I got out when the getting was good.
edit on 5/20/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Reminds of Stanford in 1972. "We" pissed of the pigs pretty good too.
"Tam, Tam he's your man. Send him off to Viet Nam!" I remember this scary looking chick with gloves ripping open a telephone switching cabinet in the Admin building. Instigator.

Stupid stuff.
I got out when the getting was good.

Interesting. This seems like some 60's- early 70's hippy protesting stuff that many of us were not old enough to witness. I'm curious to know Phage, what do you think of OWS?
edit on 20-5-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I'm watching this Ustream all day tomorrow, straight up..

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
their credit card and health insurance card numbers *written down*
and they were let go after about 10 minutes.

I think this act is a very effective demonstration of the legality (or lack of) of this behaviour, on the part of the police.

The police won't risk attempting to charge any of them with a crime, because that would generate excessive, negative publicity; so they're targetting Occupy for covert economic retaliation, instead.

It's a strategy that could prove extremely effective. For all of Occupy's talk about being anti-corporate, I've never seen any of them yet who were willing to put down a mobile phone.

I would expect a reversion to CB radio, on the part of any organisation that was truly anti-corporate.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This is just ridiculous. This is basically a watered-down form, or infant form, of the police state that is talked about so much on ATS. They are now even taking away the one tool citizens have to show their dissent: protesting. That just goes to show that our rights mean nothing. The ideas and ideals that our Founding Fathers risked their lives for mean absolutely nothing to those who make decisions for us. They even tell us what we can or cannot put in our own bodies, or do to our own bodies.

We are owned and it is blatantly obvious once you start looking for it. The people who say that it isn't that bad just haven't been looking hard enough, probably as to not upset their pre-packaged belief system. I have always said there would come a time when peaceful protesting would be over, and more effective means of persuasion would be necessary, and it is drawing ever closer. I mean what other options do we have besides protesting? Now that they are passing laws to squeeze protests and protesters either off the streets for good, or squeeze them with so many rules and restrictions that the protest becomes pointless, because no one can join it, know about it, or it won't be in the significant place that would get the message across, etc...

I am beginning to think that even though many of our problems originate from lawmakers at the top echelons of government, the problems that affect us most are being perpetrated by lower levels of government, where we are supposed to be heard the loudest. That is another thing that is being taken away; states' rights. If it was hard for a state to hear the concerns of its citizens, it is even harder for a centralized, federal government to hear concerns of all citizens within the nation. 50 smaller, more active governments seems much more logical than one large government. This is why our government was created the way it was, but it is slowly being changed, and the states are losing much of their power. But as I said, state government is becoming just as corrupt as the federal government, and it will all come to a head eventually. Maybe soon, who knows...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

From what I know of it...I really don't understand the point.
1) "Occupy". Nothing is being occupied. OWS just seems to make messes, they don't disrupt anything.
2) What are they protesting? The Man? The Establishment? Rich people in general? They're mad because they borrowed money and have to pay it back?
3) What do they want to happen?
4) What do they expect to happen?

There's a pretty large divide between the 60-70s protests (it wasn't just hippies) and OWS. I don't see much similarity at all.

A difference I don't see that there is a difference between the provocateurs and the real protesters.

The biggest difference is off course the internet. The ultimate propaganda vehicle...for everyone.

But...I have to admit. I don't get it.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

Liberate yourself!

everyone around the world needs to stand together. Not just American citizens

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by knoledgeispower

Originally posted by The Sword

Liberate yourself!

everyone around the world needs to stand together. Not just American citizens

If Americans do it, the world will follow..

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Wookiep

From what I know of it...I really don't understand the point.
1) "Occupy". Nothing is being occupied. OWS just seems to make messes, they don't disrupt anything.
2) What are they protesting? The Man? The Establishment? Rich people in general? They're mad because they borrowed money and have to pay it back?
3) What do they want to happen?
4) What do they expect to happen?

There's a pretty large divide between the 60-70s protests (it wasn't just hippies) and OWS. I don't see much similarity at all.

A difference I don't see that there is a difference between the provocateurs and the real protesters.

The biggest difference is off course the internet. The ultimate propaganda vehicle...for everyone.

But...I have to admit. I don't get it.

Well, I agree with you there. I don't really know what they want either. I have heard some claim here on ATS that they have made it clear, but I honestly haven't seen it either. If they know the message, then it should be crystal clear to even the mainstream but it just isn't. To cut them some slack, we all know how un-fair the MSM is. The problem is, it's not even all that clear on alternative sites, even here on ATS. For all you and I know, they just want free hand-outs. It seems kinda mixed, actually. The organization is very lacking indeed.

I do support their right to protest, however. Even if we aren't clear what that message is, it's still their right to protest. I will say that I don't care for the way the police have conducted themselves with OWS. The live feeds have been informative with that. Oakland in particular has been mad-max style tactics from what I've seen..I don't care too much for the police state that has been emerging.

Anyway, thanks for the response. It's always nice to learn the perspective of those who were involved in the protests of the 60's and 70's.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Police states of America!

I don't care how you feel about OWS, just go ahead and accept America is slowly declining into the Fourth Reich.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I don't care too much for the police state that has been emerging.

That's where the propaganda comes in. You have to be careful about what you accept as "real".

I saw some pretty brutal stuff, way over the line (Remember Kent State. No, I wasn't there.). But cops are people, some are good people, some are not so good. They live (by choice) on a fine line. When things get tense, when things get beyond tense, it's shouldn't be a surprise that cops can go overboard. I don't condone it (hell no), but it doesn't surprise me. I saw provocation in action. When I saw it getting dangerous, I left. I didn't want my skull cracked. There is such a thing as prudence.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Meh. I've seen enough brutality and watched enough live streams to know that the general consensus of the United States does not have the peoples interest in mind, nor do they care about what the majority of people think about.

Oh yeah! I'm not one of the run-of-the-mill OWS people.

I work 40+ hours a week to support my education, and don't take loans.

So please, oh god please, don't sort me into that group(not directed towards you Phage(you're far too intelligent therefore we can emphasize the double parentheses), but the rest of the people who meander about ATS.)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

True, cops are people, but some things have been outright ridiculous. Just for example, when some students were having a "sit-in" on a sidewalk of a campus and the cops decided to pepper spray them all just for sitting there, that's crazy. It may not have caused deaths, but there is a fine line between upholding the law, vs enforcing un-warranted police tactics that prohibit the right to protest...This mentality by the police does seem to be getting more and more extreme IMO.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Police state? Fourth Reich? Lets trump up the sensationalism shall we? Furthermore, lets play the persecution complex and play the martyr. I am glad the CPD is staying on the ball, and if it means ruffling a few feathers to keep the peace? So be it! They were all released and their equipment returned to them. At least according to the OP?

Lets face it, these groups tend to pour on the sensationalism when they can, and more than often make mountains out of mole hills. In other words, they have never seen a camera they did not like. The police presence has been largely timid at the moment, and the Superintendent has gone on the record saying that is how they would deal with the protests during the summit.

McCarthy: Police Low-Key, But Ready To ‘Extract’ Troublemakers During NATO

McCarthy says he plans to employ a strategy based on surgical strikes rather than massive force. He says putting up the “right front” and dealing with protesters in a low-key way — sans helmets and riot gear — will encourage demonstrators to likewise be peaceful toward officers.

“You’re not going to see police charging wholesale into a crowd, you’re not going to see tear gas,” McCarthy says.

People act like all of these protestors are angels? There is a thin line between protestors and rioters. Some of them tend to be more interested in causing commotion and general disruption than actually protesting? I am not saying this particular bunch is like that, but there are some that are. Like so many others, I will be monitoring the chain-of-events this weekend. A few bad apples here and there have been plucked from the tree, but by and large; the protests seem to be orderly and under control. I hope they stay that way. By all means get out there and enjoy the summer weather and protest to your heart's content. Just do so responsibly with the welfare of your fellow protestors, city residents, and police/fire/emergency services in mind before engaging in disruption, violence, and damage to property.
edit on 20-5-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

NDAA...

enough said..

go underground or don't stream at all

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join