It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan mayor: I wouldn't hire tattooed stars Johnny Depp, Lady Gaga

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
worldnews.msnbc.msn.com... te

TOKYO -- Even Hollywood stars Johnny Depp and Lady Gaga would not be welcome to work for the Japanese city of Osaka because of their tattoos, its mayor said amid a backlash over his stance against body art. Mayor Toru Hashimoto this week said that public employees "should go to the private sector" if they want to keep their tattoos.

Oh my gosh, As much as I love Japan it's really annoying how controlling some of these old farts in power are. When Fukushima Daiichi reactors malfunctioned people in Japan were structured NOT because they are peaceful but because of the lack of individual expressions in Japan. People across the globe ignorantly believe Japan is a noble country of peaceful souls when that's not true. Truth is Japanese culture takes order over individual freedoms. In Japan one is not supposed to stand out or speak up from what society expects of you.

Good thing is the youths in modern Japan are starting to grow out of that close minded belief system. They are starting to question things about Japanese society.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
get a grip, not everybody likes your tacky art form.
They dont have to either. Feel free to get your tats but dont winge because others dont like them.
Your condescending attitude is as bad as theirs.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
They dont have to either

Refusing to hire someone based on having a few doodles on their body however is stupid. You could miss out on a good employee due to something entirely trivial.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

Maybe you should learn to accept that cultures are different and also, before writing crap, you should probably research why the people in japan react like that. I know it's difficult to use Google and research and easier to open a topic on ATS writing crap...but please, try it once in a while.

I've been several times to Japan and over this time i learned a lot about the japanese culture. The problem they have with visible tattoos is simple: In Japan tattoos are connected to the Yakuza and other criminal organisations (like Ainu). They use them as a clan sign to be identified to which group you belong or even what your rank is.
In fact, you can get into trouble with those criminals when you, even as a foreigner, wear a tattoo that looks to close to one of theirs.

That's the reason.

There are also enough examples in Japans history about foreigners and they getting problems with their tattoos. One that comes to my mind is the wrestler John Tenta (some may remember him as Earthquake from the WWF or Shark/Avalanche from the WCW). He went over there in the 80's to compete as a Sumo-Ringer. The problem was, that he had a huge tiger tattoo (something from his college afaik) on his arm. He was forced to put a bandage over it, so it won't be seen during the competitions.

I think Japan opened up to this a bit, but as seen here, they still have a problem with it.

Personally, i don't see what the fuss is about. Personally i think Tattoos in western societies are completely stupid and useless, because in 90% of the cases, people either get a stupid tramp stamp, some Tribal crap or ugly # which goes straight to the Ugliest Tattoos Website.
I can only accept them from a traditional standpoint, for example by Hindus.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
You don't have to agree with his stance but you should respect it. Especially if you want people to respect your stance on the issue. Tattoos, imo, seem to generate the same feelings as when people talk about homosexuality. I respect the fact that people may not agree with them or like them but I've never understood how people can get so emotional about OTHER people having tattoos.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Tatoos have a much deeper cultural signifigance in Japan than in the west. Even in the west (for want of a better phrase) a generation ago tatoos had a much more signifigant role in identifying what social class you belonged to. People are so brainwashed into thinking that no other culture is of value other than the globally sold western one. Would the OP be happy if their daughter came home with a guy sporting prison tats, signifying his incarceration, or how many people he has shot? tatoos have been so devalued and common so as to become meaningless in the west, not so elsewhere.
Basically sporting tatoos in Japan is a statement of belonging to a Yakuza clan and is a very serious matter indeed.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
In Most cultures, especially Asian Continent, tattoo is perceived as rebellious attitude.

Whats wrong with them banning tattoo'd worked in some areas, its their culture, why do you have to compare it to western culture? cause its so perfect?

Actually, even here in west, tattoo is not full welcomed, if you go to some high established rich company, they will look down on tattoo'd workers. If someone does have it, they try to hide it or have it in a place where is not easily seen.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I have nearly a full sleeve on my left arm, and a large tattoo on my right inner fore arm. I love my tattoos and plan on getting plenty more. But I am also wise enough to make sure they can be covered with a long sleeve shirt should I need to go to a job interview or a business affair.
Tattoos are a form of art and self expression. They are also, in the minds of many, a characteristic of thugs, gangsters, and trashy people. The wise thing to do should you want to get a tattoo is put it/them in a place you can cover. Dont tattoo your face, hands or neck.
I personally have never had an issue getting a job with my tattoos. But I work in the industrial field so tattoos are a common sight.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

I feel that it's safe to assume that neither Lady GaGa nor Johnny Depp would ever even think about working for this guy.

reply to post by borntowatch

They dont have to either. Feel free to get your tats but dont winge because others dont like them.
Your condescending attitude is as bad as theirs.
lmao. What the hell are you talking about?

edit on 5/18/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

They dont have to either

Refusing to hire someone based on having a few doodles on their body however is stupid. You could miss out on a good employee due to something entirely trivial.

Or possibly thousands of customers because they dont like tattoos, I think its stupid to employ people who dont portray the right image in the right scenario.

Where has common sense gone these days???

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

They dont have to either

Or possibly thousands of customers because they dont like tattoos, I think its stupid to employ people who dont portray the right image in the right scenario.

Where has common sense gone these days???

Yes and they could be kept covered up .Even the Yakuza tattoos are easily concealed with long sleeved shirts.

Though if we want to return to arguing for common sense then the Japanese mayors point is moot to begin with seeing as how both lady Gaga and Depp have more money than him and wouldnt have to work for him

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I think the point was tatts, not people.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

The Japanese is a very nationalist nation. Their mentality is that the good of teh whole is better then the good of the individual, it is a concept that westeners can't understand.

They also have a much higher standard of politeness.

A neighbor of mine works for a well known company and has problems with their tokyo office, because they japanese consider it rude to mention that the computers they were given are not working. So they try to work around it and say nothing. you just don't say anything wrong about a gift.

i think it is very quaint.

now while you may think that being nationalistic stomps on individual rights, they do things like make up jobs, just to give someone one. because people working benefits society. Which is why people have jobs like standing at the bottom of an escalotor to greet people, it is to give someone a job....

we could only be so lucky.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

that is pretty outdated thinking. i have only met one person who doesn't like tattoos and that is because they think they are too common now.

i understand not wanting to hire someone with a big tat across their neck, but people do get them where they can hide them.

and society accepts them now since they are considered art and not the mark of a criminal.

thousands of people?

get up to date.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

yes people get stupid tattoos but a lot of them have meaning, and i highly doubt that 90% are for the wrong reasons. if you actually ask people, they may have a deeper meaning for them.

my cousin is getting the scales of justice for making it through law school.

i am gettign a dragonfly because they represent change and the love of my bil who passed away.

many get them for beating cancer, honor a loved one.

my cousin has an octopus, becuase they are underappreciated but amazing, delightful, intelligent creatures.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Sounds like I need to move to Asia.

Tattoos are a "HEY LOOK AT ME" phenomenon like outlandish haircuts or slutty / unkempt clothing. Even if there were no correlation between crime and tattoo wearers (even though police photograph tattoos separately, because they are quite literally a convenient tag for criminals), even if there were no connection between drug/alcohol abuse and tattoos...

...lots of people associate tattoos with "attitude," specifically an attention-seeking or rebellious attitude.

That is not the attitude I need from my employees. I'm looking for productivity and team spirit, not drama and rebellion.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar
Sounds like I need to move to Asia.

...lots of people associate tattoos with "attitude," specifically an attention-seeking or rebellious attitude.

since when? So many people have tattoos these days the wearer doesnt even get a second look . If it was such a common mode of thinking why would you have to move to asia to find like minded folks?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by paganini

Actually, the recent trend of tattooing has crested, fewer young people get tattoos now than the same age groups did 5 years ago.

I don't need to move to Japan; but I might enjoy cultures where the long-term interests of the group come before the individual's need to express themselves artistically.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The Japanese are also know for being over the top racists. Repectful and racist - try being a Korean living there and see how respectful they are. Also, if your computer is broken and they get upset because you told them that just means they are plain stupid. Respect has nothing to do with denying a computer is broken. It is just stupidity.

CJ

new topics

top topics

join