It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Church is a Cult

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
I have several books on false religions, cults, and the New Age movement for starters. And from listening to lectures from Dr. Ron Carlson, one of the world's leading experts on cults and false religions.

What exactly is a False religion?

I already went to ReligiousTolerance.org - - - and did my own research - - without Bias.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2bfreeliberty
reply to post by thesungod

but the most annoying JW and Mormons -- come to your door, un-announced, bringing a friend or sometimes their kids -- dressed very nice (unless it's a return visit) .. can come Sat mid AM, Tues, tues aft. etc .. i once posted some stuff about JW outside my door and they stayed and awaited my return these women in their car below my 3rd floor apartment .. and they kept coming back .. until i had to say im not interested .. if you bring up a conversation you're asking for a non-ending tribulation !!!

not many other religions go door to door un-announced while your likely in the bathroom, eating or otherwise not expecting the annoying intrusion !!

The Mormon missionaries never bring family with them, but they do go in pairs for their own protection. If you tell them no, they politely leave. If you ask them to take your house off the list of places to stop, they do. They don't keep coming back over and over unless you just say "I'm not able to talk right now" or something else "just to be nice". Just say, "thank you, I'm not interested, please remove my address from your stops". Easy and effective and they don't hold it against you.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Not a JW. I know from study, how most people know things. I have several books on false religions, cults, and the New Age movement for starters. And from listening to lectures from Dr. Ron Carlson, one of the world's leading experts on cults and false religions.

HERE is the best book I have on the subject. For Dr. Calson you can look him up on youtube, search his name and Jehovah's Witness together.

So you are listening to one religious quack telling you another group is religious quacks?
Instead of trying to refute another group, why isn't he just promoting his own? Sounds very negative, spiteful and full of hatred to me

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
In all truthfullness, Romney being a Mormon is the thing that I DO like about him. Otherwise, I'd not give him a second look.
Mormons have excellent family values, they help their community, they reach out to those in need when others won't, they practice what they preach, they store food and supplies for emergencies, they stay away from caffeine and tobacco because it's bad for their body and their body is their temple. They are good, upstanding citizens who try to help others.
I choose not to be Mormon because, frankly, I like my caffeine and cigarettes and an occaisional beer or three. I feel they are just as Christian, if not more so, than the mainstream churches.
You don't have to believe, you don't have to support them, but don't deny them the opportunity to believe and to try to live up to the standards that are there. If they are not doing any harm, then why should we go against them? If they are not destroying lives, families, communities, countries and other religions, what's so bad about them?
You don't like what they believe, do and stand for? Fine, don't join them. Oh wait, that's my response for the homophobes... how bout that, whenever you disagree with ANY group, if they are not malicious, they are not bringing any harm to you or anyone else, then leave them alone and let them do what they're doing just like they let YOU do what YOU are doing. Pretty darn simple.

Couldn't agree anymore with you, In my opinion they are the perfect neighbors and wish I had more in the hood I currently live in. About Romney as well the ideals and morals that I've seen exist within the majority of Mormon families I know personally, it intrigued me to think if he was half as good as the people I know we might actually do alright with him at our command, but then I read about his ideas and he killed that thought.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procession101

In all truthfullness, Romney being a Mormon is the thing that I DO like about him. Otherwise, I'd not give him a second look.
Mormons have excellent family values, they help their community, they reach out to those in need when others won't, they practice what they preach, they store food and supplies for emergencies, they stay away from caffeine and tobacco because it's bad for their body and their body is their temple. They are good, upstanding citizens who try to help others.
I choose not to be Mormon because, frankly, I like my caffeine and cigarettes and an occaisional beer or three. I feel they are just as Christian, if not more so, than the mainstream churches.
You don't have to believe, you don't have to support them, but don't deny them the opportunity to believe and to try to live up to the standards that are there. If they are not doing any harm, then why should we go against them? If they are not destroying lives, families, communities, countries and other religions, what's so bad about them?
You don't like what they believe, do and stand for? Fine, don't join them. Oh wait, that's my response for the homophobes... how bout that, whenever you disagree with ANY group, if they are not malicious, they are not bringing any harm to you or anyone else, then leave them alone and let them do what they're doing just like they let YOU do what YOU are doing. Pretty darn simple.

Couldn't agree anymore with you, In my opinion they are the perfect neighbors and wish I had more in the hood I currently live in. About Romney as well the ideals and morals that I've seen exist within the majority of Mormon families I know personally, it intrigued me to think if he was half as good as the people I know we might actually do alright with him at our command, but then I read about his ideas and he killed that thought.

Yeah, he messes up his good Mormon foundation with all that conservative republican stuff

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Not a JW. I know from study, how most people know things. I have several books on false religions, cults, and the New Age movement for starters. And from listening to lectures from Dr. Ron Carlson, one of the world's leading experts on cults and false religions.

HERE is the best book I have on the subject. For Dr. Calson you can look him up on youtube, search his name and Jehovah's Witness together.

So you are listening to one religious quack telling you another group is religious quacks?
Instead of trying to refute another group, why isn't he just promoting his own? Sounds very negative, spiteful and full of hatred to me

Jump on the JW bandwagon if you wish, go for it.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I have several books on false religions, cults, and the New Age movement for starters. And from listening to lectures from Dr. Ron Carlson, one of the world's leading experts on cults and false religions.

I already went to ReligiousTolerance.org - - - and did my own research - - without Bias.

Everyone has bias. "Middle Ground" is non-existant.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

No thanks, I'm happy where I am and hope they are happy where they are as well.
Not sure why anyone would want to limit someone else's expression of their freedom to choose (or not choose) a religion.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Anyone can choose a non-bias position - - - no matter what they personally believe.

You choose not to - - - and judge every one else from your belief.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Sorry dude, that was the most foolish thing you could have ever posted on this thread.

I understand you believe all religion to be cult-like, i have to disagree though. Although i do not follow any sort of religion so to speak, and i do agree that religion is just a product of evolution, I MUST agrue the point that there are half that do operate in a non-cult like manner.

Thumbs down, sorry bud.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Not sure why anyone would want to limit someone else's expression of their freedom to choose (or not choose) a religion.

I'm not pro-limitation. I'm pro-information. People can choose that if they want to, it's a free country, but they will choose it with all the information available to them.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Anyone can choose a non-bias position - - - no matter what they personally believe.

Please tell what the unbiased position is then. Even the atheist position is biased. I don't know how much Philosophy you're familiar with, but the idea of there being an unbiased "middle-ground" is self-refuting. There is always a bias. Dr. Ron Carlson is one of the world's foremost experts in the field of cults and false religions, going to him in that area is like going to Einstein in matters of Quantum Physics.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Please tell what the unbiased position is then. Even the atheist position is biased. I don't know how much Philosophy you're familiar with, but the idea of there being an unbiased "middle-ground" is self-refuting. There is always a bias. Dr. Ron Carlson is one of the world's foremost experts in the field of cults and false religions, going to him in that area is like going to Einstein in matters of Quantum Physics.

Does he label himself as a cult leader? His own beliefs as a false religion? If not, then I question his authority based on what I've seen concerning him.
edit on 21-5-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I'm not pro-limitation. I'm pro-information. People can choose that if they want to, it's a free country, but they will choose it with all the information available to them.

And I choose where and who I get that information from.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

There is no false religion.

That's the part you are not getting.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I agree that ALL religions, including Buddhism, are a cult.

Additionally, I believe that NONE of the Christian churches (through all of the different types) we have today are true to what Jesus set up here on Earth, with possibly the exception of the Coptic Christians who segregated themselves from societal influence and were uniquely segregated from political biases for such a long time.

IMHO, the ONLY True Christian church is the intimate, direct spiritual relationship one has with Jesus the Christ himself.

Any (and all) religious institution existing on Earth today are corrupted and blinded to what Truth is. That makes it even more foolish for anyone to cast stones at which Christian Church has the "right" doctrine. In the end, the Lord Jesus Christ will judge each man/woman and his/her heart. I would imagine the ones that go around casting stones at everyone else, whether they be mormons or gays or whatever the prejudice of the day might be, are probably the ones that Jesus will punish most... even those that think they are washed by the Blood of the Lamb have not born fruit of salvation otherwise these haters would show fruits of love and trust instead. Because the whole point of Jesus was to Love God First, Love Your Neighbors Second *even your Mormon or gay neighbor.

Certainly, the religious institutions need to learn about this Jesus' Love thing, but more importantly, individuals need to understand what LOVE really is (it ain't hate or judging or comparing). Some of the greatest people I've met have been Mormons. I personally disagree with their theology choices, but it's theirs to make. Jesus alone is qualified to judge. All I see is all the Mormons I've met lead strong with their hearts and have relationships with a version of Christ that's probably as close to just about any organized church has to the real thing. Who am I to judge their intimate relationship with the Christ, which the ones I've met clearly have. In the same vein, there are horrible mormons just like there are horrible baptists and horrible muslims and horrible whatever. Human nature and organized religion politics and power plays always enter the fray. I choose the focus on the best that an individual can offer with their relationship with their God.

As such, I am a bit put off by the OP pointing fingers that the Church of LDS is a cult. Of course it is, but let's face the fact that all organized religions are by nature cults... and I would argue that they all have centuries/millennia of political biases and power plays that have made them poor reflections of their origins.
edit on 21-5-2012 by twoandthree because: typo fix

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by twoandthree

IMHO, the ONLY True Christian church is the intimate, direct spiritual relationship one has with Jesus the Christ himself.

I'll go with that.

Even if you believe he was a hi-bred benevolent off planet Energy Being - - - and Mary was artificially inseminated during an abduction.

edit on 21-5-2012 by Annee because: DAMN QUOTES!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Remember Jesus Christ Our Lord, is truly present in the most Holy Eucharist.

Remember Mary Our Lady, she is mankind's advocate.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by colbe

Not interested.

Please keep it to yourself.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by colbe

If that's your belief, feel free to start a thread about it, this thread is about discussing whether or not the Mormon Church is a Cult and the present score says No, it's not

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join