learn more

The Mormon Church is a Cult

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I personally think we are a created race - - but by beings more evolved then us - - that man interpreted as gods. And I think these beings are still amongst us - - and do contact people all the time - - for various reasons.

I agree with you 100% and since the topic of this thread is Mormons, I think you'll find that most Mormons iteration of this idea.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logmafia

I personally think we are a created race - - but by beings more evolved then us - - that man interpreted as gods. And I think these beings are still amongst us - - and do contact people all the time - - for various reasons.

I agree with you 100% and since the topic of this thread is Mormons, I think you'll find that most Mormons iteration of this idea.

I married a Mormon. Was Mormon for about 5 years. I did a lot of reading/research on it. I was never very religious - - but found the "whole of Mormonism" to be fascinating. There really is a lot to it.

Officially resigned because of Prop8.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

I married a Mormon. Was Mormon for about 5 years. I did a lot of reading/research on it. I was never very religious - - but found the "whole of Mormonism" to be fascinating. There really is a lot to it.

Officially resigned because of Prop8.

Prop 8 was a big mistake, and I hope church authorities realize before too long. Personally I find that it undermines the idea of a living prophet when the Mormon Church is the last to fall in line behind the rest of the Churches in the World.

You might be interested to know that BYU now allows openly gay but celibate students to attend the school. They even had a question and answer forum where gay students answered questions about themselves.

edit on 21-5-2012 by Logmafia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

You might be interested to know that BYU now allows openly gay but celibate students to attend the school. They even had a question and answer forum where gay students answered questions about themselves.

I am aware of that. Baby Steps - - but still pretty stupid.

Its time to get out of the dark ages - - as the reality of sexual orientation is a god given birth right.

Should we still chastise people who have seizures - because they are possessed by the devil?

I know there are Mormon's within the church fighting for LGBTQ equality. Just like there are in Catholic and other denominations.

Good for them. Staying with their faith and fighting from within.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb
10. They believe salvation is through Faith & Works not the truth that salvation is by faith alone and your works is a result of your salvation. No mormon knows if he is going to heaven or not. Christians are assured of their salvation from the beginning.

Ive always enjoyed that about mormons. they tend to be very hardworking people. unlike a lot of christians i know who think merely being christian makes them 'better'. Perhaps this is why.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

His point is valid, though. "Christianity" has to do with a particular religious understanding based on 'the bible'. Mormons dont really read the bible. nor is their religion based on what is recognized as 'the bible' by other churches. Catholics and Protestants might take exception with each others interpretation of scriptures and faith, but they acknowledge they are both reading the same, more or less, texts. The LDS arent. Their book and varied literature is more like Fan-lit, where certain characters from the bible are used in a re-imagining of events.

Although, as a relative outsider to all of these groups, i Do understand your perspective as well.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by PurpleChiten

NotYourTypical set him straight and told him there are a lot of posters on ATS making threads on this very topic.

You're not the only one. Not the first or will you be the last to proffer this info.

I did? Where?

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Obligatory second heretical 2nd line.

Re-read my postings. I wasn't disagreeing with the member. And I wasn't talking about this topic in that thread, that thread has it's own entirely different topic altogether.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by MrSpad

His point is valid, though. "Christianity" has to do with a particular religious understanding based on 'the bible'. Mormons dont really read the bible. nor is their religion based on what is recognized as 'the bible' by other churches. Catholics and Protestants might take exception with each others interpretation of scriptures and faith, but they acknowledge they are both reading the same, more or less, texts. The LDS arent. Their book and varied literature is more like Fan-lit, where certain characters from the bible are used in a re-imagining of events.

Although, as a relative outsider to all of these groups, i Do understand your perspective as well.

Mormons see themselves as the restoring Church of Christ to the way Christ established it when he was on earth. We believe that after the Apostles were martyred the authority of Christs Church was lost in what we call the Great Apostasy.

We believe in 4 standard works: The Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Pearl of Great Price and the Doctrine and Covenants. We spend two years out of every four reading and studying the Bible.

To say that Mormons don't know the bible just isn't true.

www.pewforum.org...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by MrSpad

His point is valid, though. "Christianity" has to do with a particular religious understanding based on 'the bible'. Mormons dont really read the bible.

Not true. They use the KJV.

It was the primary book used in the Mormon ward I was in.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Not true. They use the KJV.

It was the primary book used in the Mormon ward I was in.

The same KJV used by other churches? Or a highly modified and abridged one?

Not trolling you. Honest question. My understanding is their KJV is quite different. please correct if im wrong.

thanks

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

We use the same one, but with an addition at the end called bible dictionary and the Joesph Smith Translation.

Here is a link to the bible we use.

www.lds.org...
edit on 21-5-2012 by Logmafia because: link added
edit on 21-5-2012 by Logmafia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Logmafia

Interesting.

thx

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

reply to post by stanguilles7

We use the same one, but with an addition at the end called bible dictionary and the Joesph Smith Translation.

Interesting. Learn something new everyday - OR - I just don't remember that. I've never been a "god in a book" kind of person.

I was impressed by my 5 years as a Mormon - - because they actually act/behave as one thinks a Christ follower should.

They actually put it into practice. Mormon is not just a belief - - - it is a way of life.

---------------------------------------------------------------

My mom was disabled (polio '51). She took us to church sometimes - - but often different neighbors took us - - to various Christian churches. And my gramma was Catholic. I got to experience a lot of churches growing up.

Nothing compares to being Mormon.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

but the most annoying JW and Mormons -- come to your door, un-announced, bringing a friend or sometimes their kids -- dressed very nice (unless it's a return visit) .. can come Sat mid AM, Tues, tues aft. etc .. i once posted some stuff about JW outside my door and they stayed and awaited my return these women in their car below my 3rd floor apartment .. and they kept coming back .. until i had to say im not interested .. if you bring up a conversation you're asking for a non-ending tribulation !!!

not many other religions go door to door un-announced while your likely in the bathroom, eating or otherwise not expecting the annoying intrusion !!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2bfreeliberty

not many other religions go door to door un-announced while your likely in the bathroom, eating or otherwise not expecting the annoying intrusion !!

Yes it can be annoying.

But - with Mormons - - - you get mostly young - clean cut - well scrubbed young men - dressed in a white shirt/tie/black pants - - and an identifying name tag. You know exactly who they are - - and what they are doing. AND they are not suppose to be pushy. If you say No - - they are suppose to be polite - - say thank you and leave.

On the other hand - - I have found JW to be sneaky. First you don't know who they are because they don't wear "uniform dress". They first try to engage you in conversation without telling you why they are there. And they don't take No for an answer.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Not to mention the J Dubs are never at your doorstep out of any concern for you or your eternal destiny. They are only there because you are "commission" for them. They are trying to earn their salvation by converting you and as many others as they can. They teach that a person can never be assured of their salvation and must work as hard as possible to be accounted worthy. They don't love you, you're just another notch on their belt or brick in their pathway to heaven.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Not to mention the J Dubs are never at your doorstep out of any concern for you or your eternal destiny. They are only there because you are "commission" for them.

I don't know that.

They are trying to earn their salvation by converting you and as many others as they can. They teach that a person can never be assured of their salvation and must work as hard as possible to be accounted worthy. They don't love you, you're just another notch on their belt or brick in their pathway to heaven.

I don't agree with that.

No matter what you believe - - you are still an individual. There are god believers that truly believe in what they are doing - - and those who do what they are required for brownie points. I'd say that applies to all beliefs.

My problem with JW - - is not their proselytizing - - - but that they are sneaky about it. They try to engage you in conversation first. Then they bring out the "god talk".

If 2 clean cut well scrubbed young men show up at your door in white shirt/tie/black pants - - - you know exactly why they are there.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Annee because: DAMN QUOTES

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well, not to offend, but you don't know very much about the Jws then. They believe/teach that only the first 144,000 Witnesses get to go to heaven, and the others who "prove their worth" will get to live here on Earth in it;s glorified state. All others not worthy or who are not JWs will be annihilated. They never have assurance of salvation. And today when communion is offered, no one takes it because none today are part of the original 144,000. their only purpose for being at your doorstep is they are trying desperately to earn their ticket to live out eternity in the glorified state of the new Earth.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Well, not to offend, but you don't know very much about the Jws then. They believe/teach that only the first 144,000 Witnesses get to go to heaven, and the others who "prove their worth" will get to live here on Earth in it;s glorified state. All others not worthy or who are not JWs will be annihilated. They never have assurance of salvation. And today when communion is offered, no one takes it because none today are part of the original 144,000. their only purpose for being at your doorstep is they are trying desperately to earn their ticket to live out eternity in the glorified state of the new Earth.

Are you JW?

What is your expertise on JW?

Can you provide links for your statements?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just like any belief. What you read in black and white - - - may not be correct interpretation of actually being in that belief.

Example: there are over 3000 different traditional Christian sects - - - all interpreting the bible differently.

edit on 21-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Not a JW. I know from study, how most people know things. I have several books on false religions, cults, and the New Age movement for starters. And from listening to lectures from Dr. Ron Carlson, one of the world's leading experts on cults and false religions.

HERE is the best book I have on the subject. For Dr. Calson you can look him up on youtube, search his name and Jehovah's Witness together.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join