It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana is the world's prison capital

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
private prison industry should be outlawed

www.cca.com...

Correctional Corporation of America has been in business since 1983, and they took in revenue of like 1.7 billion last year. What do you think happens when stockholders decide they need to be more profitable? Of course, lobby congress for stricter laws so they can keep their beds filled. This article disgusts me, but thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I'm sad to say I'm kind of glad I don't live there anymore, nothing but sorrow with the French Quarter and the Tigers thrown in as diversion.

Anyway, in Louisiana, they are almost proud of the state penitentiary, Angola. It's legendary really. It even has it's own museum and a renown rodeo.

en.wikipedia.org...

Couple this with mandatory minimums, private prison contractors, extreme poverty and basically segregated everything and it's a recipe for even more sorrow.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

Don't do drugs and you won't go to prison, you are NOT going to outsmart the law.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

A total of 32 pot plants is manufacture with intent to distribute.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw
reply to post by Anonymous404

Don't do drugs and you won't go to prison, you are NOT going to outsmart the law.

Neither will bogus legislation prancing and preening as if it were law. The United States imprisons more people per capita than any other industrialized nation in the world. More so than China does today, and more so than the Soviet Union did at the height of their tyranny. Creating the prison nation the United States has become had nothing to do with the wisdom of the law, and everything to do with legislation that thought it could outsmart the law.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Don't do drugs, don't drink while drunk, basic stuff like this goes way over some people's heads and they end up in prison after getting too many warnings and giving cops bad attitude too many times. I know how the system works, it is by no means an unfair system.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Telling people to not drink drive or do drugs is great in theory,but as a society do we back that up?
Watch a teenager play Grand Theft Auto,see Gone In Sixty Seconds or Fast & the Furious & then listen to half the crap generated to catch the attention of a kid these days-what are we telling them?go shoot a cop,get high,become famous on MTV drink yourself stupid,catch STDs & do a couple of DUI's to stay in the spotlight.
Just Say No isn't what the Media & the entertainment industry sell these days.Is it any wonder things are going to hell?Wait & see how overcrowded the Prisons will become when the this generation gets going.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw

Don't do drugs, don't drink while drunk, basic stuff like this goes way over some people's heads and they end up in prison after getting too many warnings and giving cops bad attitude too many times. I know how the system works, it is by no means an unfair system.

Something is going way over someones head, that is for certain. The system is beyond repair, it is flat out entropic and "fair" has nothing to do with it. It is tragically ignorant to preach your preach of "don't do drugs" while prescription drug overdoses now outnumber traffic fatalities.

Legislation is not law. Law is law.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Tell that to the criminals on Wall Street that constantly break the rules and are only fined a pittance, which is looked upon as the cost of doing business.
Who does more damage to society? A person busted for a victim-less crimes of owning a few plants or the psychopaths on Wall Street, gambling with peoples futures and livelihoods?

Also, I find it ironic on some of the people I have come across that support these for profit labor camps, yet out of the side of their mouth, talk about the evils of the labor camps in Russia and North Korea.

Originally posted by wantsome
reply to post by rbnhd76

Don't break the rules and you don't have to worry about it. My freedom is more important then owning a few plants.

edit on 14-5-2012 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
If people always obeyed the law, even when they disagreed with it, then you'd never have heard of MLK Jr. or Ghandi. Slavery would still be a common practice. Women wouldn't be able to vote or own land. We would still be able to sell our children into slavery. Watergate would have never come to light.

Long story short, change would never happen.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
While comparing to China the article should have stated that China just executes people

We have more prisoners in this country than China, and no, they do not execute enough to make up the difference per the factoid below. Keeping in mind also, that China has over 1 Billion people as well.

In 2009, Amnesty International estimated 1718 executions took place during 2008 (which equates to 0.0001%, or 1 in 1,000,000 of the Chinese population[14]), based on all information available. Amnesty International claimed that the figure was likely to be much higher.[15]

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

its tough out here.

people forget its not even been a full lifetime since the civil rights act. the worst part about being in the south is the accepted nature of bigotry. even though there is resistance to accept the civil rights act; the fact that it being so recent and peoples fathers grandfathers children etceteros cultivate and breed discontent associated with color means that even if the laws change those people will either reinvent another way to address their problem or redress them with themselves and project.

louisiana is highly dysfunctional regarding criminal justice and/the civil rights/act. if southerners were still bitter over turmoil, did not politically agree with desegregation, and were forced to follow an act of congress. it would take an act of congress for one random southerner to not have a bigoted perspective on "black anything related", let alone how this will effect politics should that person enact/enforce/create laws formal or informal.
edit on 14-5-2012 by Ausar because: in other words it was only a few hours ago that they(louisiana) were forced to accept being racist but prohibited from such in fashion.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Louisiana has a very high black population.

This does not surprise me.

I think you're lost.
Stormfront is down the hall, second door on the right.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

but hes right though. the criminal justice system is a form of attempted legalized slavery in most parts of america and where blacks congregate.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
reply to post by Xaphan

but hes right though. the criminal justice system is a form of attempted legalized slavery in most parts of america and where blacks congregate.

Meaning that police single out African Americans?
I'm not denying that. That's already a well known fact.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

no im not saying that. correlation and tangent are not equal.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Gotta love capitalism in red states!!!!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Why would anyone allow the privatization of prisons?

This is disgusting and it is even more disgusting that very few care about it.

edit on 15-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

prescription drugs do a whole lot more good than harm, recreational drugs are the opposite. Your entire point has nothing to do with the current discussion anyway.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404
If people always obeyed the law, even when they disagreed with it, then you'd never have heard of MLK Jr. or Ghandi. Slavery would still be a common practice. Women wouldn't be able to vote or own land. We would still be able to sell our children into slavery. Watergate would have never come to light.

Long story short, change would never happen.

You disagree with drug and drunk driving laws? The world will not become a better place if everybody drives drunk or is a recreational drug addict. Humanity is fundamentally irresponsible so we have those laws, they did not come out of existence over nothing.
edit on 15-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join