It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana is the world's prison capital

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

I am actually a huge proponent of taking responsibility for our own actions, and I don't mean to be so hard on you. I do agree that criminals and thugs need to be held accountable, but I also understood that you were challenging the idea that the State of Louisiana is responsible for this alarming fact of owning the highest prison population in the world. The Louisana State Constitution begins with this Preamble:

We, the people of Louisiana, grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political, economic, and religious liberties we enjoy, and desiring to protect individual rights to life, liberty, and property; afford opportunity for the fullest development of the individual; assure equality of rights; promote the health, safety, education, and welfare of the people; maintain a representative and orderly government; ensure domestic tranquility; provide for the common defense; and secure the blessings of freedom and justice to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this constitution.

This is why the State of Louisiana exists to begin with. Take that with this:

§1. Origin and Purpose of Government

Section 1. All government, of right, originates with the people, is founded on their will alone, and is instituted to protect the rights of the individual and for the good of the whole. Its only legitimate ends are to secure justice for all, preserve peace, protect the rights, and promote the happiness and general welfare of the people. The rights enumerated in this Article are inalienable by the state and shall be preserved inviolate by the state.

The only legitimate end is to secure justice for all. New Orleans being the murder capital of the nation, and the entire state becoming the prison capital of the world is hardly evidence of securing justice, preserving peace, and protecting rights.

Perhaps a new paradigm needs to be looked at. I appreciate you staying with me in this discussion, and I don't mean to be so hard on you. Your concerns about personal accountability are valid and worthy of discussion.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Lobbying to keep the status quo or to get more inmates, this is capitalism so what's the problem? Rather crafty really, and they're making good money it looks like.

Kudos to the business owners, they got themselves a keeper.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
All the research I've seen shows that Baltimore, Maryland and St. Lois, Missouri have more murders than New Orleans.

EDIT: Philadelphia had the most in 2011
edit on 5/15/2012 by Anonymous404 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1
Lobbying to keep the status quo or to get more inmates, this is capitalism so what's the problem? Rather crafty really, and they're making good money it looks like.

Kudos to the business owners, they got themselves a keeper.

Running private prisons through government contracts is not capitalism, has nothing to do with capitalism, and everything to do with government. Private prisons are not on the free and open market and there isn't even a free and open market anyway.

Kudos to you for posting such ignorance!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

i visited my relatives in 2002, just after the wars began. I had the overwhelming feeling at the time that it was a good time to touch base with what is mine.

i also had the opportunity to live there for a year...i met their friends and in-laws and I will say this and I will never relent...Katrina was a gift from God; receive it well.

For writing what I just wrote, people will probably be upset...appalled even.

but if they are New Orleanians they'd be appalled with anything I have to say or do because their Vampire master has directed them along this course;

its not my fault that so many in NO have decided to travel the path that they freely chose, at this point i'm only concerned with my own life...i am not an idealist.

if you disagree or anyone else for that matter...go find yourself a good Voodoo woman and live happily ever after.

but Louisiana is the violent crime capital, the prison's are saving lives.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by Ausar

but if they are New Orleanians they'd be appalled with anything I have to say or do because their Vampire master has directed them along this course;

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. I can now disregard everything you say as a complete joke.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

besides all that stuff u said; i also disagree that your fit to decide where those lives should be spent.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

says the guy wearing the Guy Fawkes mask.

suit yourself.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

disagree all you want...to the man that thinks he's Osiris.

i'll continue to hold my position in any storm.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
i remember watching a press conference of Louisiana's and New Orleans' leaders after Katrina hit the city and nearly blew to top off the Superdome.

Mary Landreiu looked like she was doing everything in her power to keep from praising God for that storm right on national television. George Costanza's doctor would have probably described it as restrained jubilation.

i think they should go for a sustained World Record for locking up idiots that are too stupid to surrender.

edit on 15-5-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

i remember watching a press conference of Louisiana's and New Orleans' leaders after Katrina hit the city and nearly blew to top off the Superdome.

Mary Landreiu looked like she was doing everything in her power to keep from praising God for that storm right on national television.

i think they should go for a sustained World Record for locking up idiots that are too stupid to surrender.

That's the most Religio-Fascist thing I've ever heard.

And you can edit your posts to include new information instead of driving up your post count with your every thought and personal attack.

Aren't we talking about the private prison industry and not a hurricane?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404

Mary Landreiu looked like she was doing everything in her power to keep from praising God for that storm right on national television.

That's the most Religio-Fascist thing I've ever heard.

And you can edit your posts to include new information instead of driving up your post count with your every thought and personal attack.

Aren't we talking about the private prison industry and not a hurricane?

i think the increase in the prison population correlates directly with the hurricane.

katrina marked the day when the people of that state didn't have to be held hostage under the threat of senseless and relentless violence.

and its odd that no one lamented New Orleans' reputation as the Murder Capital of Earth, this accomplishment being reached on more than one occasion, and only now want to complain that it is now the Prison Capital.

enjoy the fruits of your harvest is my response.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

and its odd that no one lamented New Orleans' reputation as the Murder Capital of Earth, this accomplishment being reached on more than one occasion, and only now want to complain that it is now the Prison Capital.

That's because it's between Honduras and Juarez, Mexico competing for the murder capital of the earth, not New Orleans.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

so, I suppose when those mexican places have overflowing prisons...you'll start a thread condemning the Mexican authorities.

not the serial killers that necessitated the facilities.

at least we've both been able to establish a pattern.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

They won't have overflowing prison populations because the murders are never solved, and the drug cartels (created in response to the war on drugs [same as the overflowing prisons in America]) are more powerful than the state officials.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

that is an affirmation procluding thought.

i wont argue with you your beliefs.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

more powerful than the state? you sound like you have a future as a motivational speaker.

if drug cartels think they are more powerful than a state; they will be needing your services.

i think you should probably think a little harder about what is occurring in Mexico.

your two dimensional framework doesn't explain it. for a rational mind that is.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

in the bigger picture, specifically regarding death on the scale involved in northern Mexico since the beginning of 2007, ownership plays a major part.

the drug cartels are only killing the people that they owned. owned in a very legal sense.

there is nothing the Mexican government could or should do to save people from their legal obligations.

the cartels are being both wiped out and wiping themselves out.

Louisiana's prisons are probably saving lives.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Cartels kidnap wealthy people or their kids and hold them for ransom. They get the money and then usually kill them, always.

Sure cartel members kill each other, but they also kill innocent people.
edit on 15-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join