It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana is the world's prison capital

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

You must be from Louisiana.

Second line.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

corporations seek profit and profit only.If more prisoners means more money they will damn sure find a way to get more prisoners. Black people have been kept poor in the US. Financially, educationally,and politically.So they will be alot more likely to have to depend on public defenders who are part of the system than private attourneys who might actually try to defend them.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Sheriff = Lord
Guard = Vassal
Prisoner = Fief

You've got that right!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Gotta love capitalism in red states!!!!

This is exactly why I brought up race.

Is it the high number of Republicans in Louisiana that is causing this problem, or is it the high number of blacks?

Louisiana also has very low education numbers, suppose that is because of Republicans also.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

care to elaborate on your comments?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
THIS is why amerika must fall.

The meek shall inherit the Earth.....NOT corporations

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I am from Louisiana. Ever teenager in my neighborhood gets arrested at least once. Even me, once. Isn't this normal for every state?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

I suppose...but Wyoming and Montana and Dakota have prisons as well. places not much smaller than Louisiana which only has about 5 million people.

I wonder who's in those prisons and i wonder what they look like.

the posters comment suggests that the guys in louisiana's prisons are victims of a profit motivated system which punishes people based on their race as opposed to being people that really, really need to be locked up and kept out of society because they are a danger to themselves and others.

edit on 14-5-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

I live in Louisiana. You want to know why there are so many prisoners? There are 2 reasons.

#1. Drug charges.

#2. This State also houses a lot of Federal Detainees.

This has been a topic of Conversation lately at my work place. Our jails are so over crowded right now that if I were to be arrested for DUI. Take a breathalyzer and a fail with flying colors. I would be taken to jail, finger printed, booked, and released within a few hours with a bail of maybe $200. I would be sent on my way, without my car, and still be drunk.

I believe MA hit the nail on the head when he said Slavery is no longer racist.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

the low education numbers are associated. in one generation for blacks in Louisiana they had college they could go to for 30 bucks a semester to being forced to confront white racism by integration and the cost of education increasing by more than enough for it to be effectual as an attack on the predisposition of a black person. more black families associated with black churches where i live are making plans to begin home schooling and i think its a good idea. jindal just signed a law making it "easier" for parents to supposedly get vouchers to send kids where they want but there are ties (the opinion of some louisiana residents even myself) to destabilizing the schools blacks were forced to goto not even 25 years ago in some places for integration by taking the funding out of them. if a presidental candidate can say poor students should be janitors and a state defunds public schools in lieu of vouchers for private schools the intent is clear. white politics acts the way it does for a reason; most if not all blacks that i know view integration as a touchy subject, my perspective is that id rather have my own black schools like before that was affordable and based on providing a need for blacks to blacks with no direct interaction with a white just because theres not a white person there. i would rather legally have the right not to open up some aspect of my black culture to the scrutiny of white southerners be that a company in a black neighbor hood for blacks or a black school.

edit on 15-5-2012 by Ausar because: and whites here want to maintaining having the right to the same belief as my last comment thus.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

i grew up in a different generation...I remember and old timer explaining quite clearly if you want to live a life of crime you have to accept that prison is a part of the equation no matter how good you are.

i don't care who operates the prison. i've been to prison...not just city lockup, not just county...but DOC, make yourself at home, prison...and i didn't encounter one person that didn't belong there. and not one person acted as if they'd been treated unfairly.

everyone that is in there would just love to get out early and bleeding hearts are the ones that will make it happen. i've met people that when they are released will commit a crime just to be sent back and not a minor crime...serious # that involves home invasion and torture just to be certain no one tries to release them again.

if you don't want to end up in a privately run prison, don't fornicate with prostitutes and don't treat your wife like one.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Is it the high number of Republicans in Louisiana that is causing this problem, or is it the high number of blacks?

Louisiana also has very low education numbers, suppose that is because of Republicans also.

So when bad things happen, its not the Repub's fault.

When good things happen, it's because of the Repubs.

You sir have an interesting perspective.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

I suppose...but Wyoming and Montana and Dakota have prisons as well. places not much smaller than Louisiana which only has about 5 million people.

I wonder who's in those prisons and i wonder what they look like.

the posters comment suggests that the guys in louisiana's prisons are victims of a profit motivated system which punishes people based on their race as opposed to being people that really, really need to be locked up and kept out of society because they are a danger to themselves and others.

Up here we shoot you.

edit on 14-5-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Originally posted by LDragonFire
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Gotta love capitalism in red states!!!!

This is exactly why I brought up race.

All red states have poor education levels, is this the fault of the people or the ones governing them?

All red states have higher crime and prison incarceration rates.

Across the board red states have the worst roads and bridges, highest poverty rates, high unemployment, and this goes on and on in almost all measurable stats.

Why do you think they run on social issues? They can't very well run on there records.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

prescription drugs do a whole lot more good than harm, recreational drugs are the opposite. Your entire point has nothing to do with the current discussion anyway.

You quite obviously did not read the article I linked, nor have you done any research on the matter. Your entire point, from the very beginning, had nothing to do with this discussion. You shouldn't have brought drugs into the issue. You did so to defend an out of control prison culture in this nation, because that is the discussion! The discussion is that Louisiana is the world's prison capital.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

or maybe its an out of control crime culture.

where people decide that its in their best interest to think the people that will lock their asses down forever are sleeping or something.

from this point of view...its not that Louisiana is the prison capital, but the capital of incompetent criminals where the prison population as a fraction of the population is just a byproduct.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

There is an irony to your suggestion, given that you were so quick to accuse carseller for race baiting. While New Orleans remains the murder capital of the nation:

In New Orleans, murders follow a distressingly similar pattern. Almost 90 percent of the victims are young black males; more than 90 percent of the perpetrators fit the same profile.

The vast majority of assailants have a criminal record, and 40 percent have a prior arrest for illegal firearms possession. In about four of five cases, perpetrators and victims knew each other.

Of course, it is not just this that is a big problem in New Orleans, there is also this problem:

Amid a myriad of probable causes and theories, a major focus is the 1,353-person Police Department, long seen as riddled by corruption and violence. There is a concerted effort to reform the force. Yet it is a slow process. The city is negotiating with the U.S. Justice Department over a consent decree to curb police abuses.

A infamously corrupt police department, 90% of the murders in that city are black on black, but no, let's not call this an out of control prison culture, let's instead go along with your suggestion...of course, if I do, will you then take me to task for race baiting?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw
You disagree with drug and drunk driving laws? The world will not become a better place if everybody drives drunk or is a recreational drug addict. Humanity is fundamentally irresponsible so we have those laws, they did not come out of existence over nothing.
edit on 15-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

I agree wholly with drunk driving laws.

But, I believe prohibition has never worked, not since the first time it was employed.

No, not that prohibition, but the garden of eden.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

i called it race bait because he referenced the entire state of Louisiana...I suggested he was talking about the city of New Orleans, which yes is a murder capital and yes a lot of black on black crime...I call it ghoul on ghoul crime. I usually attribute it to all the Vampires in that city.

I don't consider the place a home but my mother lives there, along with brothers, cousins, nephews and nieces...and I spent some time down there years ago and even considered attending UNO and making it a home.

my original post was a statement against the idea that the State government was responsible for the prison population and that its actually a portion of the people that live there are the culprit.

find a way outside my reasons to criticize...i don't care. I know what New Orleans is and I know what Louisiana is and I know they are not the same thing.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
New Orleans must be the oldest City East/West of the Mississippi...

if you don't want to believe me, believe this man. he has a story to tell:

The prison population is a good sign.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

i disagree with you; although there are a confluence of events as to why louisiana is the worlds prison capitol and the majority of its complex as a business that functions are black peoples/ at the bottom: the state government has as much to do with it as do the local representatives judges laws mandates cops and citizens. to argue a polar identity as to the issue is foregoing the argument that "it" is taking place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join