It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Left-Handed People Equal To Right-Handed People? Apparently Not!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I would just like to point out the obvious: If left-handers make up 20% of schizophrenics... does that not mean that right handers make up 80%?

Other than that...

My brother is left-handed. He has been hospitalized for a serious condition: non-TB micobacterium. Basically it's a form of tuberculosis bacteria that doesn't actually cause TB or any symptoms. Instead, it sits in your lungs, slowly killing you. My brother was immensely lucky: he contracted bronchitis, which progressed to pneumonia. They did some x-rays and discovered a "mass", which they initially thought was cancer. After several days of testing, they finally discovered it was this "non TB micobacterium". He ended up being on several different medications for about a year.

So perhaps that aspect has some truth to it.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I am not a christian but how do you know that Jesus never existed?

How do you know that, I really want to know?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

... Even Jesus was left handed...

Proof?
Second

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I think people can be lefty's for two different reasons.

1) Genetic - maybe these are the brilliant unusual ones.

2) Trauma There were follow-up studies once on kids that had ultrasounds, showing that fetal ultrasounds cause more lefty's. I think somehow the fetus is damaged - the "safe" ultrasounds "everyone" does are unregulated as to voltage or even training required to give them - they can create a significant amount of heat at a cellular level- do some studies before you zap your kids, it's scary.

*There is also a disorder where all the internal organs are actually flipped, left side to right. This happens most often with mothers who are diabetic. Who 'coincidently' are most likely to have many and very early ultrasounds - starting at 5 weeks as opposed to the usual 12 weeks.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
When I was in school one kid was forced to use his right hand. Me I punched someone in the head for putting a saw to my throat in woodwork shop in school. I had to use my left hand to write for two weeks.I am ambidextrous in some things and not in others.My brother is left handed,my Aunt is left handed.I Think it is good and try to use your less dominant hand to access both sides of your brain. I can saw(hand saw not electric) with either hand but hammering a nail I will leave that to my right hand I like my fingers too much.When I play softball I can hit either side.A little bit better on my right.With football aka soccer I can use either foot equally well. I play hockey on my left and golf on my right.But I still throw like a girl with my left. I am right brained but right hand dominant if you can figure that one out.But personally I think the article is a load of hogwash.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Personally, as a left-handed person, I see very few issues regarding my left hand. Perhaps slightly more eccentric, yes, but prone to disease? Not really - I've been healthy practically my whole life, and I refuse the vaccines that are nowadays speculated/known to cause brain damage.

Still, S+F for you my friend on such a good post

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by kaylaluv
Well, if you are referring to using this analogy with how gays are treated, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Left-handers: born that way, about 10% of the population, deserve to be treated with the same respect, and given the same rights as right-handers.

Homosexuals: born that way, about 10% of the population, deserve to be treated with the same respect, and given the same rights as heterosexuals

Sure, but I didn't mean in terms of rights or anythign like that

edit on 14-5-2012 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

Well, I'm left handed but not an American or living in America which I guess is where your survey is based. The hand you write with isn't that important if you want to do surveys, what percentage of your country is classed as close to literate may be more interesting, regardless of the hand they write with
edit on 15-5-2012 by something wicked because: addition

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
That makes me wonder, when I was in the military I forced myself to learn to write with my left hand (for nefarious reasons). You would be surprised how easy it is when you have classes each night. Years later, I now have two children. When I taught them to write, I taught them using the left hand, however, both of them are VERY ambidextrous, as am I. Now I have to wonder would those same studies apply to us?

Edit: I also recall how difficult it was in the military trying to determine if I wanted to fire the M16-A1 left handed or right handed. Not many choices there,,,.
edit on 15-5-2012 by lance_covel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

So, what does that make ambidextrous people like myself? I do more with my left hand than I do with my right, yet I write right handed. I can also write with my left hand (not as well as with my right, but it's still neat and legible).

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

how can i prove it. I cannot prove you exist let alone jesus...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Strange... I'm left handed. Cannot remember the last time I ever had a cold or flu or any virus, but I do know that it has been at least 7 or 8 years... I've always had a good metabolism. Can eat like a horse and never gain weight. Miraculously heal quickly from seemingly disabling injuries with no hospital. Look 10+ years younger than I am. I barely have to work out to stay quite fit. Scored 136 on a college issue IQ test where 140+ is genius, but I was, well, under the influence of a medicinal vegetation that shall not be named here. I can't help but wonder if maybe there are different types of -handed people. Some were born that way, and some were forced from an early age, for one example... By the way, I punch, throw a football/baseball, shoot a basketball with my right hand. It's stronger. I write, pull a trigger, clip my nails, brush my teeth, masturbate with my left. It's more precise. Using my right hand/arm to do the above is all awkward and clumbsy! Just like using my left hand/arm to throw a punch or a baseball would be all awkward and clumbsy. Interestingly, when firing a pistol one handed with my arm outstretched in front or to the side of me, I prefer the right hand. When firing a rifle or shotgun, I would hold the gun's grip up near the barrel with my right but pull the trigger with my left. Anyway, to conclude: I love being lefthanded!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by newcovenant

That is a good list for the most obvious differences in left and right minded people and seems right on target. Explains a lot about me and all of us lefties, I bet.

Not only that but if the need should arise and trust me sometimes it does...left handers can do almost anything backwards easily, for example driving. Right handers need a lot of time to adjust to moving backwards but lefties can do it almost as naturally as forward.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

How do you know he did? WITHOUT quoting the a single letter from any fictional work (ex: bible)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I guess I'm in the 10%.... wow that explains why I'm here then!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearMitochondria

How do you know he did? WITHOUT quoting the a single letter from any fictional work (ex: bible)

Too much info to quote here, but there are several viewpoints discussed, some showing Greco-Roman/pagan writings that support his existance. Note that they don't state that he was a diety, but they do state that he existed.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

He'll just flip flop to whatever gets him elected.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien.
Oh yes, one important one that I feel has held me back over the years.. smudges.. yes, smudges..
Every time I write something, my left hand picks up the fresh ink and smudges it across the rest of the page as I write.

I was reading this thread wondering if anyone was going to mention this problem. I would come home from school with the side of my hand covered in pencil lead and ink. Any papers i wrote would get increasingly smudged as the ink/lead built up on my hand. Using a keyboard on a computer sure would have made things much neater.
Something else iv'e noticed is that, beneath all the smudges, lefties seem to have exceptional handwriting.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearMitochondria

I don't know if he existed or not and I would never claim to. This is my point.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Nature v. Nurture.

At what point could we extend your observation about "right-handed tools" to our society at large. A friend with one Chinese parent told me that when Chinese kids write left-handed (and I assume do other things that way) they get slapped.

What effect does that sort of social conditioning have on a person? I know, anecdotally, that kids here in this country up through my mother's generation, were discouraged and taunted for being left handed at writing.

The sample that shows these higher levels of issues in left-handers would most likely be drawing on adults and the elderly, as well as deceased records. If that is the case, we have to ask:

-What sort of effect does social conditioning have on left-handed people that might make them have mental issues that somehow lead them to take certain avenues in life (or discourage them from others) which then leads to esteem issues, taking the wrong life choices, etc?

Immune issues could stem from exposure to certain life styles - the places people choose or are able to live, for example, which affects how they eat and sleep, which of course affect the immune system.

Studies are tricky to analyze because there are always circumstances of bias - almost like the whole "when you look at an electron it stops being in two places" thing.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I Wouldn't be surprised if 95% of lefties ( Me being one ) are discriminated on a day to day basis without knowing it.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join