It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Left-Handed People Equal To Right-Handed People? Apparently Not!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Well i don't think i think less of any left handed people and the funny thing is that i didn't knew about the so called prejudice about them until i arrived at MIT from my country.
I just laughed when i first heard about the cultural and religious attitudes towards left handedness in western cultures.
But if others are silly enough to believe in some well... you know ,things, it doesn't mean they are less intelligent.
We all can act in that way at times but what i don't like is that when you think that if you are a minority in any aspect, you are special.
And i also don't want the majority to demean anyone.
The whole thing is silly IMO...
I restrict my so called bashing for others to just mild humour and nothing more.
When i think deeply, i can concur that we all as individuals are unique as i have yet to see two persons with everything in common.
In effect, we all are special and worthless at the same point.
Sorry if i offended you....

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PennyQ

My family is full of lefties, approx a third of us, no history of mental problems, no more learning difficulties than any other family and so far (touch wood) no early deaths. My father was a lefty, he missed his 100th birthday by a few months and never had a serious illness his entire life.

Similar story here as well.

The whole PTSD statistic seems like a load of crap. To me.... that has to do with how you grew up and how much you were exposed to and how strong minded you are and how sheltered you were... and what you were conditioned to think is bad or good.

I love being left handed...... except when I'm given spiral bound notebooks or wet ink pens.

edit on 15-5-2012 by dplum517 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2012 by dplum517 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Im a leftie too and think just like that, somtimes I think too hard and too fast that it almost feels like im running out of "breath" in my mind from the freight trains of concepts and ideas rushing by.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dplum517

Jesus god how I hated using those notebooks in school! Hurt my hands after writing a while. And the ink stains...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Are people equal? Apparently not, studies show some people are very different from other people. Some people have a harder time waking up in the morning than others, some are more prone to mental illness than other people. Surprisingly some people are often better at acting, playing instruments, math and science than others. We more often than not see some people on TV, becoming presidents and some people have even landed on the moon. Yet some people seem to suffer with asthma, neurological illness and depression, more so than other people. some % of some people even become serial killers.

Some people only make up some part of the population making some people extreemly odd and unconventional to other people. I really can not say that I understand some people. Don't let me even get started on some things___smh

I sincerely hope my child will not be some people and do some things :/

Oh let me get you a list of some people who do some amazing things just to prove that it's ok to be some people and that they can do some things well.

really???? I mean really???

edit on 15/5/2012 by IAmD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Your argument is based on inconclusive data and, at least, one flawed assumption: that handedness universally correlates to brain hemisphere lateralization- which is what I believe to be true the crux of this debate. Assuming no anatomical or physiological abnormalities, a subject has both a left and right hand, and a brain, divided by a corpus callosum, into a left and right hemisphere. The left hemisphere of the brain controls the right side of the body, and vice versa. Antiquated studies have suggested that correlation implies causation; that if a person is left-handed it’s because he or she a right-brained thinker, and that a person is right-handed because he or she is left-brained thinker, but this is not actually the case. In truth, 93% of people are believed to be left hemisphere-dominant thinkers. This leaves an estimate of 7% of the population as right-brain dominant, while the best estimates for left-handedness fall somewhere between 9 and 13%.

With two hands and two brain hemispheres, neither of which is necessarily a determinant for the other, we must conclude that the following 4 types of people exist: 1) right-handed/left-brained thinkers (majority), 2) left-handed/right-brained thinkers (minority), 3) right-handed/right-brained thinkers (minority), 4) left-handed/left brained-thinkers (minority). A separate argument and study should be made for ambidextrous persons, and those who use both hemispheres of their brain equally, as very little data exists outside of anecdotal accounts.
Thus, brain lateralization exists as a continuum with specific functionality of thought and brain activity, and by extension, visual-spatial skills, language formation, creativity, logic, sequencing, and a host of other static and g-related abilities and intelligence-related skills inherent to the each of the aforementioned four types of people. It is my belief that abilities and weaknesses exist in large part because of the amount of communication allowed between the left and right brain hemisphere, as allowed by the corpus callosum.

Because the corpus callosum allows for integration of both hemispheres, to a greater extent in some than others, it is my belief that the most severe issues of mental health occur when disintegration, due to genetics or injury, of communication between both hemispheres occurs, leaving the right-brained thinker without the ability to access the logical side of the brain. The right hemisphere of the brain, which is responsible for controlling creativity, imagination, visual-spatial reasoning, musical and artistic ability, if left unchecked and unbalanced by the influence of the left brain hemisphere would likely cause a subject to experience feelings of paranoia, and auditory/visual hallucinations. In the event of a damaged left brain hemisphere, where neuron-firing, and healthy-synapse-formation has been diminished, the right brain would be forced to over-compensate and with damage to the corpus callosum, this rapid-firing of right brain hemisphere neurons would exactly explain the symptoms experienced by paranoid schizophrenics. Damage to the left brain, or an impairment to the corpus callosum for a right hemisphere-dominant thinker, might also explain why schizophrenics experience difficulty with reality perception and language expression and comprehension, and It is my belief that, in time, these type of brain injuries will explain such conditions, especially in predominantly right-brained thinkers.

Conversely, I believe that the greatest minds of our time have a corpus callosum that allows for maximum integration between both brain hemispheres, coupled with the ability to use both hemispheres of the brain with higher-than-normal precision. I’ll save that argument for another time...

In short, bashing handedness really is not the best approach to "handling" this argument. If you have a problem with WE left-handed, right-brained thinkers, you should be more specific to identify the root of the perceived "problem".

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Left and Right handed people shouldn't be allowed to Marry eachother..

Let's have Obama weigh-in.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Studies have shown that the number of left-handers who make it to old age is drastically lower than the number of their right-handed peers.

lefties were 2.7 times more likely to suffer from immune disorders and 2.3 times more likely to have been hospitalized at some point.

www.cracked.com...

Well Immune disorders is very specific, accidents is something else though as most of the tools we use are made for right-handed people.

Although left-handed people make up only 10 percent of the population as a whole, they compose a full 20 percent of schizophrenics. If you like those odds, you should know that left-handedness is also associated with dyslexia, ADD and some mood disorders.

Studies have shown that, if you're left-handed, you're twice as likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

More surprising, left-handers actually tended to exhibit subtle symptoms of PTSD.

Now that's pretty serious
This is the first time that I actually have come to hope that I get a right-handed son/daughter when I have kids.

If lefties are more prone to mental problems as well as immune disorders it may very well be something gone wrong during the mother's 9months of pregnancy.

So I see alot of threads and people often use the analogy of left handed people and how they are equal to right handed people.... well apparently not!

They are not equal at all
Being a leftie means you may have had a glitch during the birth process
The end result is not at all equal to being right handed.

Thoughts ATS?

My thoughts are that you made something sound like a fact based on your opinion. You state that it 'may' very well be something gone wrong during the 9 months of pregnancy. Then you further state more factually that "being a lefty means you may have had a glitch during the birth process". Opinion does not equal fact, yet you speak as though it is.

MAYBE it's a glitch, maybe it isn't. Fact is, we simply do not know. There have not been enough studies to know one way or the other. That said, I'm still glad me and mine are not lefties.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
You know...

If left-handed people use the right side of their brain, and right-handed people use the left side of their brain...

...then it can stand to reason that the left-handed people are the only ones in their right mind!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
You know...

If left-handed people use the right side of their brain, and right-handed people use the left side of their brain...

...then it can stand to reason that the left-handed people are the only ones in their right mind!

right! I mean left...Oh I'm confused

edit on 15/5/2012 by IAmD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs
I am left handed, like 50% of our U.S. presidents in the last 80 years.. and 50% of The Beatles (The two that are still alive.. just sayin').

The only thing I don't do left handed is use a mouse, which I was trained to do with my right. Being an artist it has helped my transition to CG art since I have the ability to sketch with my left hand while I mouse with my right.
edit on 15-5-2012 by Furbs because: (no reason given)

Being left-handed, I often wondered why I can only use the mouse with my right hand. I too am an artist (currently going to school for design).
My elementary school (this is going on thirty years now) actually did an experiment and separated the lefties from the righties (this was really based on left vs. right brained learners, not handedness) and altered the curriculum to enhance our learning abilities. We learned to read faster, excelled in the arts and were abysmal with math skills. The right brained thinkers and learners did extremely well with this curriculum...until the study was over and they put us into the regular curriculum where we started to have a lot of difficulties. All in all, I'd have to say that right-brained people learn differently than left-brained people, I really can't say that left-handed people are smarter...we're just different and suck at math...but you can put any musical instrument in front of me and I'll teach myself how to use it within weeks. I can play any song by ear and can write my own music as easily as people can breathe...but...I can't read music and I can't solve an equation and I can't drive a stick...go figure.
Right handed and left handed people are needed in society...they work with each other...imagine our world without left-handed people, there would not be great music and great art. WIthout right-handed people there would be no advances in mathematics and science.
Both are different...both are equal.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe
reply to post by Sigismundus

Actually, you're wrong.

Mozart was left-handed, according to many sources.

answers.yahoo.com...

Just google it...Many sites specify that he was indeed a lefty.

Thank you for backing me up on that.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Just to put a humorous equalizer on this thread:

According to researchers, left-handed people use the right side of their brain, and right-handed people use the left side of their brain.

Conclusive analysis from this study states that according to the anatomical quirks observed above, left-handed people are the only ones in their right minds.

Have a great day.

edit on CTuesdaypm030320f20America/Chicago15 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
My little sister was left-handed.
She was also dyslexic, had ADHD, and suffered from severe psychosis as well as addiction and many other things.

She shot herself on March, 3rd 2011 and she was 16.

I guess I can see where there's some differences.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't know if I could be considered a complete left-hander.

As I write, draw (yes I'm artistic, I hear lefties are creative?) and eat left handed.

Everything else I do right handed. Throw, swing a bat. So for intricate stuff I'll use my left, but for things requireing power, I'll use my right hand.

Anyhow on to the point of the OP. I do suffer from PTSD, and anti-anxiety disorder.

Also I believe there have been studies about Left handers being more succeptable to addiction. Myself included. I can testify, that there always was an unusually high percentage of lefties in the few Rehabs I've been in.

You can change your childs dominant hand if your really fixed on this idea.

I know in Canada they will make naturally born right handers into lefties, because supposedly lefties are more sought after in Hockey. So I'm sure changing your left handed child to right wouldn't be that much trouble if your afraid of this. but really I think that's going overboard, and causes uneeded relearning.

Interesting topic either way.
edit on 15-5-2012 by Nola213 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

According to Alan Searleman of the St Lawrence University in New York there are more left-handed people with IQ's above 140 (genius bracket) than right-handed people though we are only 10 percent of the world population.

That's pretty consistent with what I've experienced. If you think about it, us lefties are the largest unorganized minority group in the world.
edit on 15-5-2012 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Rathyas

Sorry about your sister.
Doctors tried sticking me with ptsd, adhd, bipolar before they got my test results back for a positive Lyme test.
I'm the black sheep in my family. Only lefty out of 5 girls. I have most of the creative artistic traits but yet I love science and math. I have difficulty with foreign languages and associating dates in history.
Irons - the cord points the wrong way
same for most power tools- I used to fix tools at my dad's shop - fixed a lot of cut cords
Field hockey - was great being lefty, held stick better and could slam the ball harder than any other girl
top spiral flip notebooks - only ones to use
Best revenge for someone not letting you sit on the left at dinner when it's a large gathering - time a good knock with their elbows just as they're about to put their fork in their mouth.
We get creative like that especially when I learned how to drive in a pick up truck with a stick and without power stearing. Never spilled my coffee while driving either.
And I am cancer/leo cusp with gemini rising.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Thoughts ATS?

Umm. what? a glitch? Left handedness routes back to the right hemisphere of the brain.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumbleHelper

Thoughts ATS?

Umm. what? a glitch? Left handedness routes back to the right hemisphere of the brain.

I agree. That statement by OP is the dumbest thing I've ever read. It's like saying that someone developed blue eyes on the way out of their Mama, or that someone was born with pierced ears.
I think OP had a lack of oxygen during birth. *Intimidated much?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
And I always thought I was special for being left handed...now i'm just freaked out.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join