It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insider tells why Anonymous ‘might well be the most powerful organization on Earth’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
People always try to paint Anonymous as the bad guys or the good guys. Myself, I think they are both. The very nature of anonymity allows for a large amount of non-accountability and as humans I doubt there are many who can resist that kind of temptation. The fact of the matter is that the type of knowledge this group shares with itself could pose a real threat to a lot of innocent people. That said I also believe Anonymous has some genuine full blown heroes, they just happen to be criminals.

Catherine Solyom of Postmedia News interviews Christopher Doyan aka Commander X who is now a fugitive on the run from the FBI.
link

Doyon, who readily admits taking part in some of the highest-profile hacktivist attacks on websites last year — from Tunisia to Orlando, Sony to PayPal — was arrested in September for a comparatively minor assault on the county website of Santa Cruz, Calif., where he was living, in retaliation for the town forcibly removing a homeless encampment on the courthouse steps.

The “virtual sit-in” lasted half an hour. For that, Doyon is facing 15 years in jail.

Or at least he was facing 15 years in jail, until he crossed the border into Canada in February to avoid prosecution, using what he calls the new “underground railroad” and a network of safe houses across the country.

Thanks to his indictment, Doyon is one of the few Anonymous members whose real name is now publicly known.

I'll paste a few q&a's that I find really interesting below.

Q: What do you say to people who believe Anons are just cyber-terrorists?
A: Basically I decline the semantic argument. If you want to call me a terrorist, I have no problem with that. But I would ask you, “Who is it that’s terrified?” If it’s the bad guys who are terrified, I’m really super OK with that. If it’s the average person, the people out in the world we are trying to help who are scared of us, I’d ask them to educate themselves, to do some research on what it is we do and lose that fear. We’re fighting for the people, we are fighting, as Occupy likes to say, for the 99%. It’s the 1% people who are wrecking our planet who should be quite terrified. If to them we are terrorists, then they probably got that right.

“Information terrorist” – what a funny concept. That you could terrorize someone with information. But who’s terrorized? Is it the common people reading the newspaper and learning what their government is doing in their name? They’re not terrorized – they’re perfectly satisfied with that situation. It’s the people trying to hide these secrets, who are trying to hide these crimes. The funny thing is every email database that I’ve ever been a part of stealing, from Pres. Assad to Stratfor security, every email database, every single one has had crimes in it. Not one time that I’ve broken into a corporation or a government, and found their emails and thought, “Oh my God, these people are perfectly innocent people, I made a mistake.”

The paradox here is that while Anonymous is criminal according to most national laws, typically they expose criminal behaviors and actions of members of "the elite". It's very difficult not to romanticize that, I admit.

Q: Anonymous started out as online pranksters but has gotten a whole lot more serious in the last two years. What happened?
A: I believe Egypt was really a turning point for us emotionally in Anonymous. Obviously there was always that sort of prankster edge to us. But people often ask me, “Why are you so mean nowadays?” It started in Egypt – when you work for days to set up live video feeds and the first thing you watch through those feeds is people killing your friends with machine guns – that becomes personal. And then it’s not just Egypt, it’s Libya, Tunisia, over and over again these Freedom Ops are really what gave us a sort of take-no prisoners attitude. We get to know these people. It may not be the same as you and I sitting here, but when you Skype with people and spend hours and hours talking with them on IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and they share their hopes and their dreams with you for their country, their future, when they tell you how they’re risking their lives so their children can have a better future in some far-off land, you bond with those people and they become your friends and family.

I feel that way often myself about the friends I have made online, sometimes it just happens...I can only imagine that it happens more frequently with a group such as this. Hopefully those bonds keep the majority from getting drunk on power. It gives me hope that what pushed them to getting serious are the same things that snapped me awake.

Q. What’s next for Anonymous?
A: Right now we have access to every classified database in the U.S. government. It’s a matter of when we leak the contents of those databases, not if. You know how we got access? We didn’t hack them. The access was given to us by the people who run the systems. The five-star general (and) the Secretary of Defence who sit in the cushy plush offices at the top of the Pentagon don’t run anything anymore. It’s the pimply-faced kid in the basement who controls the whole game, and Bradley Manning proved that. The fact he had the 250,000 cables that were released effectively cut the power of the U.S. State Department in half. The Afghan war diaries and the Iran war diaries effectively cut the political clout of the U.S. Department of Defence in half. All because of one guy who had enough balls to slip a CD in an envelope and mail it to somebody.

Now people are leaking to Anonymous and they’re not coming to us with this document or that document or a CD, they’re coming to us with keys to the kingdom, they’re giving us the passwords and usernames to whole secure databases that we now have free reign over. … The world needs to be concerned.

If this isn't all boast and hype from a group of kiddies that are capable only of brief DoS attacks then I pray they don't lose sight of who they claim to be, for now they mostly have my support. The criminals in control of the world need to be brought to justice. The problem is they have bought justice so it isn't through our current systems that we the people will see justice, but apparently there is another way.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I've said it many many times. But it is unnerving that so many people assume and judge Anon to be a bunch of kiddies who don't know whats going on or what they're doing. They know what they are doing and regardless of some of the things they have done, they will bring truth to the forefront for us, because they are the only ones who truly can.

Think big business and big banks and big government are ever going to give up information willingly? Hell, even FOIA requests don't work half the time, or take forever and a day. It makes sense that there are people on the inside of the alphabet agencies, handing over keys and passwords to anon to databases with information that the public should know.

One of the main excuses i hear is "Anonymous shouldn't have released all those police e-mails and names and numbers", yet what most people don't know is this data already exists on the internet, its allll there in plain text for those willing to see. The darknets hold so much that it would boggle your mind. That information is already accessed by those that need to access it (likes hells angels for example, they've had that information for 10 - 20 years.)

I cannot wait to see what they have found for us

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

I still think they are being given free reign to wreak havoc as a reason to enact internet Id and a killswitch. A lot of people say they have been infiltrated, but what's the point in wasting the money if they can just leave the defenses down and let them in the back door. It's a way to turn them to your will without them being any the wiser.

Very simple, very cheap, and the majority don't pay attention anyway. They only know anon as "that hacking group"
Who better to use as a scapegoat once everything (censorship) is in place?
edit on 14-5-2012 by Monsatan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Excellent post man, thanks for taking the time to make it, i get the impression that there is a veiled threat amongst the answers, saying they have the "keys to the kingdom" and they will be leaking it, not if, but, when.
The nature of infosec and massive databases that are not stand alone systems with no outside contact only available to those in a specific location, requires very careful consideration as to what is held, anybody who views security as a challenge to be overcome are the special operatives of the digital world.
When the system is so corrupt that even those inside it, will not defend it, and work hard to ensure it's availability to those who would attack it and ensure everyone sees how corrupt it is, maybe it is time to start again.

The spy in the bag in london, maybe he had contacts with anon and passed info out that he had seen, if he did, i hope that information or logon info he provided does his death a justice at some point.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses. I meant to add this to the OP but got caught up writing my thoughts...

Recent attacks by Anonymous

May 9 – Anonymous brought down Russian President Vladimir Putin’s website and the Kremlin’s website to support the country’s protests against alleged vote tampering during the March elections.

May 9 – Anonymous attacked the UN’s official website, accusing it of ignoring the plight of Palestinian hunger strikers protesting their detention without trial in Israel.

April 24 – Anonymous attacked the Greek finance ministry website to protest its plans to fight tax evasion by tracking citizens’ bank, telephone and credit card data.

April 20 – Anonymous takes down the Formula One website, for holding the event in Bahrain, and to support local protesters fighting against the continued government repression of activists and opposition politicians.

April 5 – Anonymous hacks into hundreds of Chinese government websites, taking down the “Great Firewall of China” and offering tips on how to bypass government censorship.

From the linked article.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
All Anonymous is doing,is helping those in power,limit what can be said or done on the internet. That's my take on it Kali. In the end,those who control the internet,are not me or you ,but Governments,and ISP service providers. For all the good anyone can accomplish,all it takes is a few to spoil it for the rest.That would be Anonymous.

S&F

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

They already can't control the internet. Any id system would just be a joke. I don't see them stopping an underground hacking group without cutting every wire, and they're keeping those because billions of dollars are tied to them.

I'd personally thank these people if I could. These scum bastards in office need to be dealt with and get what they've had coming to them. Where is damn karma? Does that even exist? Plenty of reasons to believe it doesn't until we take things into our own hands. These murderous thugs get away with everything, but you and I can't even drink raw milk, but we can buy cigarettes and alcohol! They're death dealers out to sell treatments. I could go on and on, as could any of you.

Rise up America! Treasonous traitors and murders deserve justice!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Thanks Sonny. I understand your point and I agree that the government uses such to introduce bills such as CISPA, however it is on you, me and everyone else to see it for the garbage it is. Same as them using Black Bloc and the "cost" to cities to manipulate us into saying, "we gotta get rid of those guys". The same as we welcomed the Patriot Act with open arms..."as long as we're safe".

The laws and methods for dealing with Anonymous are already in place or for that matter any other "threat", we don't need new ones, and we the people have to tell our elected officials as much. The noose only gets tighter if we allow them to place it around our necks to begin with.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction...

Look at me, Look at me, I'm Anonymous....

Too many IMO take on this persona and carry out actions and activities under it whether they are truly part of it or not. Some stories and threads posted here and elsewhere regarding "Anonymous" I applaud while others I just facepalm, not because of what their actions were but because Anybody can claim to be a part of it and run with the ball. Good, Bad or indifferent.

I'm not impressed with "Attacking Websites" how about trying to feed the hungry? Clothe the naked... etc etc etc. Whats the real message? Life sucks so lets hack some websites? Exposing corruption is good. I see, read and hear about it all day everyday 24/7. What are they proposing to do to correct the issues of our day?

In time this will just give TPTB the fuel they need to clamp down further IMO.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
They need to grow up and realise their actions don't just affect the "1%", it affects everybody.

Taking down sites like Paypal and Visa/Mastercard etc affects us all, and in some cases can cause a dangerous/harmful situation.

TPTB don't care, and if they wanted to they could use these pricks actions to further clamp down on the web.

They need caught and punished. (IMO)
edit on 14/5/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

You said:

I've said it many many times. But it is unnerving that so many people assume and judge Anon to be a bunch of kiddies who don't know whats going on or what they're doing. They know what they are doing and regardless of some of the things they have done, they will bring truth to the forefront for us, because they are the only ones who truly can."

Unfortunately, those kids have never gotten that message--even if they are mid-thirties ginks--and they still show themselves as smartassed, rebellious, misfit kids. Let them appear as a real thinking, caring and constructive group and people will consider them in a better light. In short, they have not established themseleves with any credibility that much better than those/that they oppose.

Let them discard those stupid sayings such as "We do not forget. We do not forgive..." Let them dispense with their super hero capes and masks. As they present and operate themselves at this stage, many onlookers wonder if they really care about anything other than their own self-amusment, self-adolation and self-righteousness. They must prove themselves...simple as that.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

They must prove themselves...simple as that.

Just curious here... because proof is subjective, what would Anon have to do in order to prove themselves to you? Not being combative, just curious is all.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
You are right anon terrorist isn't the word to describe you

Tyrant is... You just said yourself you are "judge jury and executioner"

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
In 1775 , 3% of the population were considered Terrorist.

We no longer use horses or have weapons depots.

Today we have the internet to fight Tyranny.

Lots of room in the rear with the gear, for the other 97%.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

heres the answere to the question about their "power" - for the short-attention-span-people just listen to the guy at 4:15

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42
reply to post by sonnny1

They already can't control the internet. Any id system would just be a joke. I don't see them stopping an underground hacking group without cutting every wire, and they're keeping those because billions of dollars are tied to them.

I'd personally thank these people if I could. These scum bastards in office need to be dealt with and get what they've had coming to them. Where is damn karma? Does that even exist? Plenty of reasons to believe it doesn't until we take things into our own hands. These murderous thugs get away with everything, but you and I can't even drink raw milk, but we can buy cigarettes and alcohol! They're death dealers out to sell treatments. I could go on and on, as could any of you.

Rise up America! Treasonous traitors and murders deserve justice!

Theres a very simple way to stop an underground hacking group-infiltration.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Maybe the government is working with them by now, and using the group to their advantage. Who really knows. We can comment all day and in the end, we're all fools who have no idea what could really be going on behind the scenes. I don't even think certain people within the government know what the hell is going on, who it is, if it isn't them.

"They're going to ruin the internet for us!" They've already practically crashed the entire damn economy. What the hell could be worse than that? And people are worried about the internet. You'll be lucky if you can get some soup down the street if things keep going like they are. Let the internet go. That would wake the idiots up to the seriousness of what's going on. You can't run a country without internet, though. Makes zero sense. Internet will stay, and the nations of the world will just have another war to wage -- this time, online. And there are people out there who can take them on, maybe. They run fricken everything, but the net is one place they may have a weakness. If it were our weakness, they'd kick us right where it hurts.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I seriously have my doubts about the claim that they have access to every classified military or government database, the keys to the kingdom as he put it. If they did, I would think they would be transferring and backing up data 24 hours a day, nonstop, just in case those keys to the kingdom stopped fitting the lock. If I had that much classified information, I would be looking for the "criminal" stuff done by the military or government and be leaking that to the press on a large scale...

The problem would be, of course, that it would take an army to process that much information, because a human would have to look at every single entry to understand what it is and how it ties in to other information...And there is no way, if you were in that position, that you could trust enough people to go through it all. So the question is: do you release those databases wholesale to the public, or what?

That could be dangerous, because some of the stuff will be information that could be used against people and nations. Actual national security stuff, and not just the stuff the government says is national security stuff so they don't have to have their dirty laundry aired to the world. That is quite a quandary. But like I said, I seriously doubt they have THAT much classified information. And if not, why hasn't what they do have been processed and released?

If they do have that much stuff, like I said, they are in quite a mess. Why even let the government suspect you have that much access, since all it will do is increase the priority in catching you? Something just doesn't seem right about that claim. Hmm. I don't know.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

That's very pretentious. Assuming it's merely a handful of average-intelligent folks intercommunicating with each other, sure, it could be that simple. But if it's exceptionally intelligent folks on a bigger scale, they could have a cell system set up with limited communication and practically fool-proof against infiltration or traitors.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jlm912

And really it doesn't even take exceptional intelligence, just a well-read sci-fi geek who's familiar with literature of the past century that lay out many different set ups.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join