It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somebody with computer imaging analyzis skills please tell me what this is

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Timical

Tried to find something, but the original image size was something like 115 x 123, and even after scaling it up and zooming to 200%, there is nothing to identify.

Will wait for better pics. OP, if you still have those on your phone, can you upload something with a bit higher resolution? Your 3.2 MP camera should save as something like 800x600, or higher.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

The first picture is the one I am most interested in as it clearly indicates multiple light sources around the object while the other pictures seem to show it rotating. I can see it on my phone, so I do not understand how someone can not see it zoomed in. Then again I am certainly no expert in the matter so I will have to take everyone's' word that it just can not be done.

As for uploading the pictures with better resolution, I have no idea how to do this. Is something I do with my phone or on Photobucket?

No worries though, this object is out several times a week so I am certain that I will be capturing a better picture shortly. Here's to hoping I can get a more clear picture to help me identify it. Thank you everyone else for your advice.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by explorer14

The special occasion arose after recently taking an Earth Science class that covered astronomy. From this class I learned how this object does not fit the criteria of any astral body. The closest thing to help explain it would be retrograde motion(this does not really explain the movement, it is simply the only thing I can relate to), but even this does not explain the flashes or sudden appearance/ disappearance of the object. I have always noticed the object but had never stayed out long enough to see it move across the sky, that is until recently. I have been having problems sleeping so I would go out randomly throughout the night to have a smoke and began taking notice of thinks such as the Big Dipper and Orion's Belt move across the sky over several hours yet this object would remain in the same part of the sky. So I figured that I would take a picture of it and compare it to others to see if it magically is moving in respect to the other astral bodies, but once again I state it clearly does not.

The movement of the object, smaller lights encompassing the object, bright flashes of light, the sudden appearance/ disappearance, and the new found knowledge of astronomy are all the things that have led me to finally ask for help. I can not figure it out, so maybe someone else can.

Almost forgot, the simple fact that my phone can not capture a single star in a picture yet can capture this object tells me that this object is relatively close to my area as opposed to outer space. I can also capture airplanes, but this object does not move in the same manner as an airplane.
edit on 13-5-2012 by Timical because: Eat your wheaties

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Sorry folks, no dice tonight. There is a cloud overcast in my area and it has been around all day. I was hoping it would have cleared up by nighttime but I am afraid that has not happened. I will update tomorrow if anything changes.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Timical
Almost forgot, the simple fact that my phone can not capture a single star in a picture yet can capture this object tells me that this object is relatively close to my area as opposed to outer space.

Venus is very bright, bright enough to cast faint shadows, and as I took some photos of Venus some days ago I know that it was so bright that I had to use the same camera configuration as if I was taken a photo on a sunny day.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Well, I hope your pictures come out nice. However like I said earlier, I just finished a class that incorporated astronomy. From my location Venus would be West of me not NorthWest with Jupiter hanging overhead. I have already looked into that(for obvious reasons) and due to things I have already stated about this object I know it is not Venus. I would not waste everyone's time with something that I have not yet researched myself. Once again, hope you caught some cool pictures and also thank you for yout valued input good person.

Furthermore, what would the faint shadow of Venus be cast upon?
edit on 14-5-2012 by Timical because: He went that way

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Timical

From your location, Venus should be west-northwest, and Jupiter is below, in fact, it (Jupiter) is so close to the sun (from our perspective) it's probably is no longer visible.
edit on 14/5/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Well let me tell you something there GUY! That is my fault, I see I did not clarify that those positions were from when I was taking the course thereby being a past tense reference. I see how I messed that up. While covering astronomy in the class those were the positions given to me by my professor and verified from an astronomy seminar I went to for extra credit. Those were the positions of Venus and Jupiter at the time, which I was able to clearly identify with the help of the seminar. Also if you have not been to one, I would recommend it as it was very informative. Now for clarity, it was after the seminar when I took note of the object and Venus(as pointed out by the two professors) were separate astral bodies. I know, I know why did I not ask the professors about the object right? Honestly, I was in awe of everything and failed to remember. I am lame, I know. But because I missed that opportunity for clarity, that is why I am I here. It is not Venus, this I know. Venus was identified by two separate professors so I am trusting them that they know what they were talking about. If somehow after everything is said and done and it magically turns out to be Venus, I will be very ('
') and ('
'). Highly unlikely, but I will keep an open mind.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Timical

Just trying to help you get to the bottom of it pal, I like to think I'm a keen amateur astronomer, and it is very easy for a lot of people to mistake things up there for something else.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Well, I hope your pictures come out nice.
They did, as you can see below,thanks.

Furthermore, what would the faint shadow of Venus be cast upon?
I wasn't talking about Venus' shadow, I was saying (or at least trying) that Venus, sometimes, is so bright that it's light is strong enough to cast shadows, like what happens with the moonlight.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Getting to the bottom of this what I am all about so I appreciate your support, especially with you being a "keen amateur astronomer". I am glad to know there is someone here that knows more than I do regarding the subject and I understand how people make mistakes(being human and all).

Just an update, today has been cloudy all throughout but I believe it is starting to clear up so I will be back and forth between the computer and outside looking for any signs.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I can dig it. Nice picture indeed, however I am no expert so it could be anything but I believe you. That sounded a bit sarcastic, but that was not intended and am in no way trying to be sarcastic.

For all of the questions I have asked so far, you gave a very good response to clarify what you meant and I really appreciate it. Many people on ATS do not seem capable of giving clear, concise answers. I know you do not need it, but I am going to star that anyways.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The object is visible right now and I have taken photos using an ipod(do not know why I did not think of this earlier) so even if it disappears before my wife returns from school I at least have something to show. Now I know this sounds ridiculous but I can not locate the cord to plug the ipod into the computer to retrieve the photos but at least I do have current photos in my possession. I took about five pictures in a period of ten seconds in hopes of catching it in rotation. When my wife returns home in roughly an hour, I will have the pictures uploaded for critique. Thank you for everyone for hanging in there with me while I get this situated and I apologize for not being better prepared.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Timical

Waiting, waiting, waiting. Lots of lurkers on this thread, myself included. I am surprised ATS has been so patient on this one.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I am losing my marbles right now. My wife just came home and gave me the camera so I went outside to a picture and the darn thing died so now it is charging. However, I did just witness it drop from where it normally is in the sky to right next to a tree line(respectively) which I believe is a huge drop in elevation. Before I took the picture I could tell through the camera that this object has blinking lights and is in fact rotating just as I suspected. Now for the bad news. I have the ipod plugged in the computer but the computer is not recognizing the device. I tried to pull up the computer tab and it is not listed. So someone PLEASE HELP ME! I even tried reconnecting it and nothing... stand by.. I will just ask my wife.. duh.

HUZZAH!!! It was the wrong cord!! Anyways I got the ones up from the ipod and you should note that one of them is blurry. This was the first picture I took and I was maybe a little bit too excited. Now hopefully I can get a actually camera picture up tonight as well.
edit on 15-5-2012 by Timical because: Ipod pictures uploaded to the original link

Let me guess, these are too blurry also??? I think I am gonna cry... this sucks. But do not give up on me I am still trying

edit on 15-5-2012 by Timical because: I am trying my best, but I do not think it is good enough.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Timical

You are testing our patience. However, I can safely say that after all the fumblings you have presented us with, that what you are seeing is not extra-terrestial in nature. As soon as you post a decent pic, we'll be able to tell you what it is.

Till then, and after all the excuses, I'll be a lurker on this thread.

Waiting for a decent pic, (aka Sincerely,)
Druid42.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

"Till then, and after all the excuses, I'll be a lurker on this thread." Thank you, you gave me a chuckle. Most, if not all, of the excuses/ problems I have been encountering I have also rectified fairly quickly. Have I not already posted the pictures I took from the Ipod and the one from the camera? How is this not good enough for you, yet you can already claim it is not extraterrestrial? Everything I have already mentioned about the object are clear indications of it not being a planet or star. What type of craft can mimic the actions of the object that I have already listed? What in the crap stays in the same area for hours on end and at other times is gone in less than an hour? The only thing I can think of is either a harrier or an osprey. Both of which do not seem likely to be in my area and would be burning a ridiculous amount of fuel in the process. Five years in aviation while serving in the Marines is what I base this on in case you wondering. I am in no way falsifying any thing that has occurred. However I am human, so I will forever keep my mind open to me making a mistake based on perception. No one is immune to this.

I took a picture with a phone, Ipod, and camera. The camera was zoomed in as much as it could, but that may be a problem for you? If you could not tell, I am in no way "tech savvy", hence why I ask so many questions. However in the quest to deny ignorance, is that not what I am suppose to do?

I do hope that someone can help me, but after already using all my resources and no one really giving any clues as to what it may be other than Venus, what the flip is left for me to do? I need answers, not ridicule. Please do not misunderstand me, I have no hard feelings against anyone, it is simply frustrating that I am not getting anywhere with this. How would you like me to take a better a picture to better suit the need for analysis?

I sincerely hope that I have not offended you or anyone else.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Even if it were a perfectly clear picture no one would be able to say what it was, the photos are soo unbelievably tiny they aren't really even worth even looking at. :/

eta: but just judging by your words alone, I'm thinking a planetary body.

Good luck on getting better photos though! Hope you do.

edit on 16-5-2012 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

reply to post by Druid42

I am losing my marbles right now. My wife just came home and gave me the camera so I went outside to a picture and the darn thing died so now it is charging. However, I did just witness it drop from where it normally is in the sky to right next to a tree line(respectively) which I believe is a huge drop in elevation. Before I took the picture I could tell through the camera that this object has blinking lights and is in fact rotating just as I suspected. Now for the bad news. I have the ipod plugged in the computer but the computer is not recognizing the device. I tried to pull up the computer tab and it is not listed. So someone PLEASE HELP ME! I even tried reconnecting it and nothing... stand by.. I will just ask my wife.. duh.

HUZZAH!!! It was the wrong cord!! Anyways I got the ones up from the ipod and you should note that one of them is blurry. This was the first picture I took and I was maybe a little bit too excited. Now hopefully I can get a actually camera picture up tonight as well.
edit on 15-5-2012 by Timical because: Ipod pictures uploaded to the original link

Let me guess, these are too blurry also??? I think I am gonna cry... this sucks. But do not give up on me I am still trying

edit on 15-5-2012 by Timical because: I am trying my best, but I do not think it is good enough.

But where are the pics? Not seeing a link anywhere, save for the first few.

Perhaps it'd be best if you can re-link all the sample pics you have, in a new post, so we have a side by side comparison.

Oh, and I am hard to offend. I have been here too long, and have grown a thick skin.

What we want from you: A hi-res pic or pics. That's all.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Regarding your ipod not connecting to PC (common with ipods) lol
Stay away from anything "apple"..

Anyway., if you can connect your ipod to wifi..
just install the dropbox app, then upload your pics to that, Then you can access them from your PC's web browser and hook us up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join