It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed to cut funding to states with self defense laws

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Looks like one of the conspiratorial angles regarding the overhyped and overblown Martin/Zimmerman circus has some weight to it:

House Democrats said Tuesday they will offer an amendment to push to overturn stand-your-ground self-defense laws in states like Florida.

The amendment, which would withhold some grants from states that have such laws, will come as part of the House's debate on the Commerce Department spending bill.
Link

As we all have seen and we all know money talks and the fed gets pretty much anything it wants by threatening the gravy train.

As a bonus we get this gem:

"...deaths due to self-defense have tripled since the law was enacted"...said Reps. Raul Grijalva of Arizona and Keith Ellison of Minnesota

Better to be a victim than a killer. How about citizens stop funding a government that would rather see them beaten, robbed, raped or murdered than have to kill in defense of self?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

"...deaths due to self-defense have tripled since the law was enacted"...said Reps. Raul Grijalva of Arizona and Keith Ellison of Minnesota

I'm betting this line was delivered without any supporting data.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

I'm betting this line was delivered without any supporting data.

Smith said that since "stand your ground" passed in 2005, deaths due to self-defense have jumped over 250 percent. When we calculated the average for five years before the law passed and five years after it passed, we found an increase of 200 percent. That’s short of Smith’s claim, though the numbers largerly support the idea that self-defense deaths have increased since 2005. As for whether "stand your ground" is the reason self-defense deaths are up, experts either disagree or say it’s difficult to determine without examining the specifics of each case.

We rate this statement Half True.
Link

It's one of those great sound-bite lines that has little to no ability to measure given all the variables involved.

Politicians are full of them and their constituents love to hear them.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Interesting. I live in Florida. I see lots of people who get killed committing crimes against those who are armed. I see very little of people getting killed by intruders who enter their armed homes.
I see lots of unarmed people getting injured and killed by intruders tho.
Another attack on the Second Amendment.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Great so instead of the criminals that are putting your life in danger getting killed its you getting killed. They NEED to have someone to put in jail so they can get their money. SOOOOOOO if you protect yourself against the lunatic then you are now a criminal and are going to be taken from your family and thrown in prison.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

if deaths due to self defence tripled, then that means the amount of murders committed decreased by 3x.

isn't that what society wants, less murders and murderers walking free.

a successful self defence means one less murder was committed.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I just love how the crooks at the fed level want to try and dictate law to the states when they are the biggest law breakers in the US.
Eric Holder, in the process of having contempt charges brought against him for Fast and Furious probe, yet he still makes a speech calling for justice in the Treyvon Martin case, before its even gone to trial.

Texas has already seen how childish this administration can be last year, when we pissed them off and they refused disaster aid during the massive wildfires that consumed most of West Texas.

+3 more 
posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This is, of course, extortion and inexcusably extortion used to minimize the protection of unalienable rights. It is high time states began taking advantage of the RICO Act and went after these racketeer's we call the federal government.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

US to Okay $1 Billion for Israeli Missile Projects

zen-haven.dk...

but its OK to give Israel (the king of self defense rational) a billion dollars for self defence?

America you bin pwned baby
saddly, you bin pwnd
edit on 8-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It really does not surprise me anymore, the level of idiocy in D.C. anymore.

If I am not mistaken, the "stand your ground" bills were multi-functional.

The "Stand your ground" bills, weren't simply just to allow people to not have to flee their homes before "defending" themselves. They were also there to make it so that someone who does defend them self, did not get sued by the offenders family. (This is depending on the state, some were rolled into one bill, others have a seperate bill for this.)

Oh when oh when, will this idiocy end!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
This is, of course, extortion and inexcusably extortion used to minimize the protection of unalienable rights. It is high time states began taking advantage of the RICO Act and went after these racketeer's we call the federal government.

It would be quite interesting to see the Federal government be charged / convicted with their own laws.

Sadly, I don't think it would be possible. Some form of Shnanagins would be in play. If they just didn't outright toss it out of court.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

US to Okay $1 Billion for Israeli Missile Projects

zen-haven.dk...

but its OK to give Israel (the king of self defense rational) a billion dollars for self defence?

America you bin pwned baby
saddly, you bin pwnd

Yea and the US is also giving or has given, 1.5 Billion to Egypt, the country that is very close to being ruled by the Muslim Brotherhood and have declared Israel their No1 enemy.
Hows that for playing both sides of the fence.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

Anything is possible, much is probable. The federal government is bound by a Constitution that happens to be a profound indictment on government. Further, that Constitution guarantees each state a republican form of government. Of course, this matter at hand is really only an issue because the federal government actually has revenue to withhold from states, and conversely revenue to bribe states with, most of which is generated through income taxation. If We the People had any balls at all we would cut funding to the federal government, but here we are a bunch of Castrato singing high pitched hymns to the pope and exploding archbishops of Washington D.C.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

If they were "Bound by the Constitution, JPZ, we wouldn't be in nearly the mess we are in now. Would we? /grin

Hmm, I don't think everyone is a Castrato, I believe it's just a matter of people being suspect of each other (See something, say something), and lack of organization, too much division, and short-sightedness to organize the necessary "pink slips" to these leeches.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

It isn't because they are not bound the Constitution that has caused this mess, it is because We the People have no interest in holding that Constitution as the Supreme Law of the Land. We go along to get along, and cannot be bothered fighting for rights when we are so obsessed with taking federal bribes ourselves.

No, not all are castrated bitches to government, but those few with balls are surrounded by whiny little bitches that find it unfair that some still have balls demanding they be cut off immediately.

Hell, there is an inordinate amount of people who will vehemently defend income taxation and insist anyone who is against it is unpatriotic, without a hint of irony to that accusation.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

The level of ignorance and stupidity is mind-boggling.

The Fed trying to regulate inalienable rights, is just silly, but a serious issue.

Power-hungry wanna-be dictators in suits, elected by the people.

May what ever higher power there be, have mercy on us!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
So this is the federal goverments way of pretty much forcing states to change their laws so that the average citizen has no right to defend themselves. What a load of BS. I would love to see some of those states tell the feds to go pound sand. Unfortunely, I live in NJ the "roll over and take it" state.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Time to equip up.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Well, I hate to say I told you so buuut.

I told you so.

People get murdered EVERY DAY!!!!!
ALOT OF PEOPLE!!!!
INNOCENT PEOPLE!!!!!

Do you get THIS PISSED OFF at every single one of them????

Let it go people.
You are being played.
Reclaim your humanity.
Don't let the MSM continue to controll your outrage!

What we need to be asking ourselves is, what are they trying to distract us from or what are they trying to achieve
by blowing this case this far out of proportion??

Which rights are we getting ready to lose this time?

Can you people see past the nose on your face???

link
edit on 8-5-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

So much of government at all levels is extortion, bribery and kickbacks. Any RICO case should be a slam dunk.

But you're asking the system to police itself with it's arbitrarily applied legislation.

I've heard of a handful of RICO's against the fed but to my knowledge they were all thrown out or dismissed before they ever got any traction.

How can a corrupt system be used to clean up a corrupt system?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join