It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The RIGHT Question About Same-Sex Marriage Legislation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This is a sermon from Rev. Dr. William J. Barber about North Carolina's upcoming vote on Amendment One about same-sex marriage.

For those without YouTube access:

He goes on to compare the equality for gay marriage with previous milestones we now take for granted. For example, interracial marriage. He asserts that the wrong question is whether or not we want to allow same-sex marriage and the right question is if we want to allow a majority to dictate the rights of the minority and what would actually happen if we screw with the 14th amendment. Not only this, but gives examples of what would have happened in the past if peoples' personal liberties weren't protected.

It's been a while since I've seen a point so succinctly stabbed into my intellect. Been even longer since I've seen that from the church. Brilliant.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Realistically, if government is going to treat the issue "equally," then the government should not be involved in any marriage, gay or straight.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cuervo

Wow.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

There are a few members on ATS that need to see this

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Let me first say that I absolutely agree with you.

However, I am presently on a mission to point out to as many people as possible that the 14th Amendment is not what you've been led to believe--and it is not your friend:

First:

The 14th Amendment Clarified

And second:

Legal Fraud Caused by the 14th Amendment

A Google search will bring much more enlightenment....

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cuervo

Hells Yes! I'm sending this to all my contacts - thank you!

xox

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by afeent1
Realistically, if government is going to treat the issue "equally," then the government should not be involved in any marriage, gay or straight.

This absolutely correct. Marriage is a religious institution and we are going down the road of destroying the 1'st amendment.
As this clergyman staes correctly, we are asking the wrong questions. This guy is putting the cart (14'th am.) before the horse(1'st am.)

And the other poster is correct about the correct 14'th amendment. What a different world we would live in if the original was in practice.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Using states rights to undermine the rights of individuals and consumers alike.
There seems to be a trend with this attitude, it is always employed to fawk people
over more often than not... Liberty indeed...
edit on 8-5-2012 by braindeadconservatives because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

it never fails to dishearten me when I hear people talk about how the 14th amendment emancipated us, particularly here on ATS, when in fact it did NOT free the african slaves, but enslaved us all.
Our fine public education has done their job well of making sheeples.
There was a time back in the day when it didnt have to be spelled out and pointed out and people did the hard research for themselves.

edit on 8-5-2012 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

This absolutely correct. Marriage is a religious institution and we are going down the road of destroying the 1'st amendment.

The part of the 1st Amendment you are referring to protects us from government endorsing, favoring, or requiring a specific religion. Also, marriage is NOT a religious institution, it's a socioeconomic state of being. In reality, marriage has always been a financial contract.

If you believe your marriage is a holy union endorsed by god, that's fine. You are certainly free to believe that, and I won't tell you that your wrong. I just personally believe that any person should be able to marry any other consenting adult if it makes them happy.

If you personally believe that same sex marriages are wrong, my only advice to you is to not marry someone of the same gender.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

Marriage is a legal contract that creates kinship and has nothing to do with religion. A wedding or other marriage ceremony is a (typically) religious institution. I realize the two concepts are hard to separate in some people's minds. If marriage was solely a religious institution in any kind of meaningful legal sense, then I wouldn't be married in the eyes of the state -- my wife and I were married in a secular ceremony.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by cuervo

Excellent! I agree completely. The current "states rights' push is actually a push to limit the rights of citizens and that's ALL. The right wing wants to limit the rights of the people (women, racial minorities and gays) so that they are more in line with their biblical beliefs. They are using the law to advocate for legislating morals...

I can't believe people are so blind that they think this states rights push is actually for "freedom"...
Yeah, the freedom to discriminate.

Originally posted by manna2
Marriage is a religious institution

Marriage CAN be a religious union, but religion is neither necessary or even desired by some married people, so we really cannot make the statement that all marriages are religious institutions.

If you get a "Marriage License", then you are getting a legal (secular) marriage. If you wish to add a religion component to it, that's your choice. But not all marriages are religious. Marriage is a legal contract by the state.

I would agree that the state SHOULD have nothing to do with it, but until we get there, all people should be treated equally.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

you simply have to read it to see that it is restricting congress from interfering with religious practice and worship.
Yes, it was meant to prevent a recurrence of what took place in England with a state sanctioned church.
It is in this respect you should be able to see where government is prevented from mandating to the church and not the other way around.
iT IS A NEAT TRICK TO MAKE CHURCHES FILE AS 501C3 AND GET THE STATE TO BECOME THE HEAD OF THE CHURCH.
aS IN YOUR EXAMPLE WE CAN SEE THE SLIPPERY SLOPE WHERE GOVERNMENT CAN TAKE OVER RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS AND CALL THEM SECULAR UNDER THEIR RULE.
wHAT YOU SEE NOW IS A STATE RUN SECULAR RELIGIOUS RULE UNDER THE GUISE of protecting the state from religion where the 1'st amendment is there to prevent government intervention. You simply accept that they have spun it 180*
Again, just read it.
It is specific and clear using simple language, commas and all.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

*sigh*
Individual sovereignty rules local sovereignty that rules over state sovereignty that is there to keep federal rule from individual sovereignty.
You have put the cart before the horse. It is ridiculous to say that the federal government has sovereign rights over the individual unless slave rights are your mandate. Do you really, REALLY believe that the fed government cares about minority liberties? seriously? They use this to make us all slaves to the bankers rule. How can you miss that?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

yes, they have changed it from a covenant between a man and woman and yah to that of a man/woman and the state. This is for commerce. You got it.
It's all in changing definitions and the present generation accepts the present and ignores the past.
As C.S. Lewis wrote in "The Abolition of Man", changing definitions makes people ignorant of their past.
That is the goal in doing it.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by manna2

yes, they have changed it from a covenant between a man and woman and yah to that of a man/woman and the state. This is for commerce. You got it.

Or is it to make sure that it's recognized regardless of which religion happens to be in favor in the United States at a given moment?

It's all in changing definitions and the present generation accepts the present and ignores the past.

If you're so concerned with the past, then you should be railing against laws against polygamy and laws for women's rights as well. After all, polygamy was the prevalent form of marriage in Biblical times and a woman was just a possession of her husband.

Stop only paying attention to the parts of the past that are convenient to you.

As C.S. Lewis wrote in "The Abolition of Man", changing definitions makes people ignorant of their past. That is the goal in doing it.

Any particular reason why I should value the opinions of a British Christian apologist/author of hack allegorical fiction as they are applied (or misapplied) to the laws of the United States?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

lol.
CS Lewis, one of the most celebrated literary geniuses of any generation?
A former outspoken atheist? Someone with the ability to take very deep and complex thoughts and present them in a way anyone can understand?
nope, I cannot think of what makes his thoughts relevant to you.

All I can say is wow!
Someone comes across something they are obviously ignorant of, does a google and makes a swarmy statement trying to elevate themselves over their betters.
I add this for the sake of quashing anymore ignorance in an attempt to misdirect attention to an individual instead of the point that was made.
Primary Sources

This page has received a Top Site Designation in its category by the Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning in Theology and Religion

Monographs and Essay Collections
•Spirits in Bondage: A Cycle of Lyrics. Heinemann, 1919 (full-text; also e-audiobook. This Lewis's first book, published under pseudonym "Clive Hamilton").
•Mere Christianity. 1955 (full-text; also copy and e-audiobook download)
•The World's Last Night, and Other Essays. Harcourt, Brace and Co, 1960 (full-text).
•Studies in Words. 2nd ed. Cambridge Univ., 1967.
•Grief Observed. Blackstone, 2006 (Netlibrary e-audiobook for Tyndale community only).
•The Discarded Image. An Introduction to Medieval and Renaissance Studies. Cambridge, 1962.
•Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Studies. Cambridge Univ., 1966.
•Selected Literary Essays. Ed. W. Hooper. Cambridge Univ., 1969.
•An Experiment in Criticism. Cambridge Univ., 1961.
•The Abolition of Man. 1944 (full-text; compare HarperCollins edition, 2000).
•Preface to Paradise Lost. Atlantic, 2005.
•The Personal Heresy: A Controversy (with E.M.W. Tillyard). Oxford Univ., 1939 (full-text pdf.).
•Spenser's Images of Life. Ed. A. Fowler. Cambridge Univ., 1967.
•Fern-seeds and Elephants and other Essays on Christianity. Ed. W. Hooper, 1975; also copy; originally entitled: "Modern Theology and Biblical Criticism," Christian Reflections, 1981.
•Letters to an American Lady. Ed. C.S. Kilby. Eerdmans, 1978.
•Christian Reflections. Ed. W. Hooper. Eerdmans, 1994.

Lectures and Articles
•"De Descriptione Temporum" (Lewis's Inaugural Lecture from The Chair of Mediaeval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University in 1954; full-text).
•"Beyond Personality, 1944" (Audio; BBC C.S. Lewis broadcast radio show)
•"We have no 'right to happiness'." N.d.
•"Miserable Offenders": An Interpretation of Prayer Book Language." N.d.
•"Screwtape proposes a Toast." N.d.
•"On Three Ways of Writing for Children." From Of Other Worlds, 1963.
•"The Literary Impact of the Authorized Version" (pdf). Athlon Press, 1950.
•"Three letters by C.S. Lewis to Sheldon Vanauken," 1950-51; other personal correspondence (samples).
•"Introduction." Athanasius: On the incarnation: the treatise De incarnatione Verbi Dei. St. Vladimir's Press, 1996. Pp. 3-12.
•"Reluctant Convert." In: The Spirit of Man: Great Stories and Experiences of Spiritual Crisis, Inspiration, and the Joy of Life. W. Burnett, ed. Ayer, 1958. Pp. 326-346.
•"The Inner Ring." 1944.
•"Is Progress Possible? Willing Slaves of the Welfare State." The Observer, 1958.
•"Friendship" (and copy). In: On the Contrary: Men and Women. Ed. M. Rainbolt and J. Fleetwood. SUNY Press, 1984. Pp. 43-50.
•"Priestess in the Church?" 1948. 5 Pp. (pdf). Later published in God in the Dock (Eerdmans, 1970).
•"Meditation in a Toolshed" (pdf). Later published in God in the Dock (Eerdmans, 1970).
•"On the Reading of Old Books" (pdf). Later published in God in the Dock (Eerdmans, 1970).
•"Man or Rabbit?" (pdf). Later published in God in the Dock (Eerdmans, 1970).
•"What are we to make of Jesus Christ?" (pdf).Later published in God in the Dock (Eerdmans, 1970).
•"Bulverism." Later published in God in the Dock (Eerdmans, 1970).
•C.S. Lewis: Poems. 13 selected poems by C.S. Lewis, 2004.
•"Last Will of C.S. Lewis." 1961.

Other
•The Quotable Lewis. An Encyclopedic Selection of Quotes. Ed. W. Martindale and J. Root. Tyndale House, 1985.
•An Interview with C.S. Lewis, with Sherwood E. Wirt. 1963.
•The Business of Heaven: Daily Readings from C.S. Lewis. Ed. W. Hooper. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 1984.
•A Year with C.S. Lewis. Daily Readings from his Classic Works. Ed. P. Klein. HarperCollins, 2003.

Adaptations
•Narnia: The Short Musical Version. Dramatization based on the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe). Adapted by J. Tasca. Dramatic Publishing, 1995.
•The Screw Tape Letters. Dramatization. Adapted by J. Forsyth. Dramatic Publishing, 1961.
•The Magician's Nephew. Dramatization. Adapted by A. Harris. Dramatic Publishing, 1984.
•Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. Dramatization. Adapted by Don Quinne. Dramatic Publishing, 1968.

Secondary Sources

Introductory Articles and Essays on C.S. Lewis
•Annotated Bibliography of Selected Works by C.S. Lewis, Montreat College, 1997.
•Dorsett, Lyle. "C.S. Lewis: A Profile of His Life." Christian History 7 (1985).
•"C.S. Lewis." In: The SCM Press A-Z of Evangelical Theology. Ed. R. Olson. SCM, 2005. Pp. 119-122.
•Stackhouse, John. "C.S. Lewis: The Christian Individual." In: Making the Best of it: Following Christ in the Real World. Oxford, 2008. Pp. 45-80.
•Tolson, Jay. "God's Story-Teller. The Curious Life and Prodigious Influence of C.S. Lewis." US News, 2005.
•Selected encyclopedia and dictionary entries for C.S. Lewis (Gale Reference Library; Tyndale community only).
•... under construction

Introductory Books and Biographies on C.S. Lewis
•Adey, Lionel. C.S. Lewis: Writer, Dreamer, Mentor. Eerdmans, 1998.
•Bramley, Perry C. C.S. Lewis: Life at the Center. Peake, 1996.
•Cort, Wayne A. C.S. Lewis Then and Now. Oxford Univ. Press, 2001. (Also full-text in ebrary; for Tyndale students only).
•Como, James. Remembering C.S. Lewis: Recollections of Those Who Knew Him. Ignatius, 2005.
•Edwards, Bruce. C.S. Lewis: Life, Works and Legacy. Vol 1 (and copy); Vol. 2; Vol. 3; Vol. 4. Praeger, 2007.
•Gilbert, D., and C.S. Kilby. C.S. Lewis: Images of His World. Eerdmans, 2005.
•Gormley, Beatrice. C.S. Lewis: The Man Behind Narnia. Eerdmans, 1998.
•Gresham, Douglas. Jack's Life: The Life Story of C. S. Lewis, Vol. 1. B & H, 2005 (and copy).
•Harwood, Laurence. C.S. Lewis: My Godfather. Intervarsity, 2007.
•Kilby, Clyde S. The Christian World of C. S. Lewis. Eerdmans, 1964.
•Kort, Wesley. C.S. Lewis, Then and Now. Oxford Univeristy Press, 2001 (full-text Netlibrary ebook for Tyndale community only).
•Kreeft, Peter. C.S. Lewis for the Third Millenium. Ignatius, 1994.
•MacSwain, Robert, and Michael Ward, eds. The Cambridge Companion to C.S. Lewis. Cambridge Univ. Press, 2010.
•Peters, Thomas C. Simply C.S. Lewis: A Beginner's Guide to his Life. Crossway, 1997.
•Root, J., W. Martindale, L. Washington. The Soul of C.S. Lewis: A Meditative Journey Through Twenty-Six of his Best-Loved Writings. Tyndale, 2010.
•Sims, John A. Missionaries to the skeptics: Christian apologists for the twentieth century : C.S. Lewis, Edward John Carnell, and Reinhold Niebuhr. Mercer, 1995.
•Sayer, George. Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis. Crossway, 1994.
•Vander Elst, Philip. C.S. Lewis: A Short Introduction. Continuum, 1996.
•White, Michael. C.S. Lewis: Creator of Narnia. Da Capo Press, 2005.
•Wilson, A.N. C.S. Lewis: A Biography. Norton, 1990.

Monographs and Collections on Aspects of C.S. Lewis's Work
•Aeschliman, Michael D. The Restitution of Man: C.S. Lewis and the Case Against Scientism. Eerdmans, 1998.
•Baggett, David, et al., ed. C.S. Lewis as Philosopher: Truth, Goodness and Beauty. InterVarsity, 2008.
•Bassham, G., and J. Walls, ed. The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview. Open Court, 2005.
•Bloom, Harold, ed. C.S. Lewis. Bloom's Modern Critical Views. Infobase, 2006 (also copy). Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations: The Chronicles of Narnia. Infobase, 2006.
•Brind, Ronald K. A Guide to the C. S. Lewis Tour in Oxford. Janus, 2006.
•Burson, S. and J. Walls. C.S. Lewis and Francis Schaeffer: Lessons for a New Century. InterVarsity, 1998.
•Conn, Marie A. C.S. Lewis and Human Suffering. Paulist, 2008.
•Connelly, Sean. Inklings of Heaven: C.S. Lewis and Eschatology. Gracewing, 2007.
•Dickerson, Matthew T., and David O'Hara. Narnia and the Fields of Arbol: The Environmental Vision of C.S. Lewis. Univ. Press of Kentucky, 2009 (also full-text in ebrary; for Tyndale students only).

•Downing, David. Into the Wardrobe: C. S. Lewis and the Narnia Chronicles. Wiley & Sons, 2008; Into the Region of Awe: Mysticism in C.S. Lewis. InterVarsity, 2005 (also Netlibrary e-audiobook for Tyndale community only); The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith. InterVarsity, 2004; Planets in Peril. A Critical Study of C.S. Lewis's Ransom Trilogy. Univ. of Massachusetts, 1995.
•Duriez, Colin. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of Friendship. Paulist, 2003.
•Edwards, Bruce. Further Up And Further in: Understanding C. S. Lewis's the Lion, the Witch, And the Wardrobe. B & H, 2005 (and copy). See also Edwards, Sundry Essays on C.S. Lewis (personal website); Not a tame lion: unveil Narnia through the eyes of Lucy, Peter, and other characters created by C. S. Lewis. Tyndale, 2005.
•Gilchrist, K. J. A Morning After War: C.S. Lewis and WWI. Peter Lang, 2005.
•Glaspey, Terry. The Spiritual Legacy of C.S. Lewis. Cumberland House, 1996 (copy with title: Not a Tame Lion, 2005).
•Hardy, Elizabeth Baird. Milton, Spenser and the Chronicles of Narnia: Literary Sources for the C.S. Lewis Novels. MacFarland, 2007.
•Hinten, Marvin D. The Keys to the Chronicles: Unlocking the Symbols of C. S. Lewis's Narnia. B & H, 2005.
•Kawano, Roland. C.S. Lewis: Always a Poet. University of America Press, 2004.
•King, Don W. C.S. Lewis, Poet. The Legacy of his Poetic Impulse. Rev'd ed. Kent State, 2001.
•Kreeft, Peter. Between Heaven and Hell: A Dialog Somewhere Beyond Death With John F. Kennedy, C. S. Lewis & Aldous Huxley. 2nd ed. InterVarsity, 2008 (and 1st edition, 1982).
•Lindsley, Arthur. C.S. Lewis's Case for Christ: Insights from Reason, Imagination, and Faith. InterVarsity, 2005.
•Lindskoog, Kathryn. Sleuthing C.S. Lewis: More Light in the Shadowlands. Mercer University, 2001.
•Lobdell, Jared. The Scientifiction Novels of C.S. Lewis: Space and Time in the Ransom Stories. McFarland, 2004 (and copy).
•Meilaender, Gilbert. The Taste for the Other: The Social and Ethical Thought of C.S. Lewis. Rev'd ed. Regent College, 2003.
•Mills, David. The Pilgrim's Guide: C. S. Lewis and the Art of Witness. Eerdmans, 1998.
•Mühling, Markus. A Theological Journey into Narnia: An Analysis of the Message Beneath the Text of "The lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2006 (also German original).
•Myers, Doris T. C.S. Lewis in Context. Kent State University Press, 1998; Bareface: A Guide to C.S. Lewis's Last Novel. Univ. of Missouri, 2004. (Also full-text via ebrary; Tyndale students only).
•Nicholi, Armand M., Jr. The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life. Free Press, 2002.
•Pearce, Joseph. C.S. Lewis and the Catholic Church. Ignatius Press, 2003.
•Purtill, Richard. Lord of the Elves and Eldiles. Fantasy and Philosophy in C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein. 2nd ed. Ignatius, 2006; C.S. Lewis' Case for the Christian Faith. Ignatius, 1981.
•Reppert, Victor. C.S. Lewis's Dangerous Idea: A Philosophical Defense of Lewis's Argument from Reason. InterVarsity, 2003.
•Rogers, Jonathan. The World According to Narnia: Christian Meaning in C.S. Lewis's Beloved Chronicles. E-audio Book. Blackstone, 2007 (available as Netlibrary e-audio book to Tyndale community only).
•Ryken, Leland, and Marjorie Lamp Mead. A Reader's Guide Through the Wardrobe: Exploring C.S. Lewis's Classic Story. IVP, 2005.
•Samons, Martha C. War of the fantasy worlds: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien on Art and Imagination. ABC-CLIO, 2009.

•Schakel, Peter J. Imagination and the Arts in C.S. Lewis: Journeying to Narnia and other Worlds. Univ. of Missouri, 2002; The Way into Narnia: A Reader's Guide. Eerdmans, 2005.
•Schwartz, Sanford. C.S. Lewis on the Final Frontier. Science and the Supernatural in the Space Trilogy. Oxford Univ. Press, 2009.
•Valarde, Peter. Conversations with C.S. Lewis. Imaginative Discussions about Life, Christianity and God. Intervarsity, 2008.
•Vaus, Will. Mere Theology: A Guide to the Thought of C.S. Lewis. InterVarsity, 2008.
•Walsh, Milton. Second Friends: C. S. Lewis and Ronald Knox in Conversation. Ignatius, 2008.
•Wielenberg, Erik J. God and the Reach of Reason: C.S. Lewis, David Hume, and Bertrand Russell. Cambridge, 2008 (full-text Netlibrary ebook available to Tyndale community)
•Williams, Donald T. Mere Humanity: G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, and J. R. R. Tolkien on the Human Condition. B & H, 2006.

Articles, Essays
•Abraham, William. "C.S. Lewis and the Conversion of the West." Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity (March-April 1998).
•Albu, Rodica. "C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man." Journal for the Study of Religions and Ideologies 15 (2006) [pdf].
•Christian History and Biography 7 (1985). [The entire issue focuses on C.S. Lewis].
•Clasper, Paul . "C.S. Lewis's Contribution to a 'Missionary Theology': An Asian Perspective." The Bulletin of the New York C.S. Lewis Society 141 (1981).
•Cole, Darrell. "The Problem of War: C.S. Lewis on Pacifism, War and the Christian Warrior." Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity (April 2003).
•Dodson, Mary. "Capturing C.S. Lewis's 'Mere' Christianity. Another Look at Shadowlands." Journal of Religion and Film 6, no. 1 (April 2002).
•Ferngren, Gary. "C. S. Lewis on Creation and Evolution: The Acworth Letters, 1944-1960." Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith 48 (March 1996): 28-33.
•Fowler, Alastair. "C.S. Lewis: Supervisor." Yale Review 91, no. 4 (2003), 64-80.
•Haldane, J.B.S. "A Scientist Strikes Back: Two Attacks on C.S. Lewis." From: Everything Has a History (1951): 249-267.
•Hall, Douglas John. "Appendix: The Problem of Pain, by C.S. Lewis," in: God and Human Suffering. Fortress, 1987. Pp. 158-169.
•Houston, James. "The Prayer-Life of C.S. Lewis." Crux 24, no. 1 (March 1988): 2-10 (and copy); "C.S. Lewis's Concern for the Future of Humanity." Knowing and Doing (Spring 2006).
•Jeffrey, David L. "Reading Wisely, Reading Well" and "Reading the Bible with C.S. Lewis," in: Houses of the Interpreter: Reading Scripture, Reading Culture. Baylor, 2003. Pp. 173-180; 181-194.
•Jordan, Gregory E. "The Invention of Man: A Response to C.S. Lewis's The Abolition of Man." Journal of Evolution and Technology 19, no. 1 (September 2008): 35-41.
•LaBar, Martin. "A World is not Made to Last Forever. The Bioethics of C.S. Lewis." JASA 35 (June 1983): 104-107.
•Lindskoog, K., and G.F. Ellwood. "C.S. Lewis: Natural Law, the Law in our Hearts." Christian Century (Nov. 14, 1984): 1059.
•Linzey, Andrew. C.S. Lewis's Theology of Animals. Anglican Theological Review (Winter 1998).
•Loades, Ann. "The Grief of C.S. Lewis." Theology Today 46, no. 3 (Oct. 1989): 269-276.
•Lutheran Theological Review 19 (2006-07). [pdf; the entire issue focuses on C.S. Lewis].
•MacDonald, Michael H. "In Defence of Permanent Things." Lecture, Seattle Pacific University, 1986.
•Manlove, Colin N. "C.S. Lewis (1898-1968) and Perelandra." In: Modern Fantasy: Five Studies. Cambridge Univ. Press, 1978. Pp. 99-151.
•Markus, Louis. "Myth Matters. Why C.S. Lewis's books remain models for Christian apologists in the 21st century." Christianity Today, April 23, 2001.
•Martindale, Wayne. "C.S. Lewis, Reluctant Churchman." Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity (Summer-Fall 1988); "C.S. Lewis on Gender Language in the Bible: A Caution." Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity (Summer, 1990).
•Meilaender, G. "Theology in Stories: C. S. Lewis and the Narrative Quality of Experience." Word and World 1, no. 3 (1981): 222-229; "Psychoanalyzing C.S. Lewis." Christian Century (May 16-23, 1990): 525-529.
•Mitchell, Chris. "Mere Christianity: The Book, the idea and the legacy." Five [e-audio] lectures, presented Feb. 19-20, 2010.
•Northey, Wayne. "Failure of the Non-Violent Gospel." Catholic New Times (Oct. 24, 2004).
•Paulsell, Stephanie. "Indoor Exploration: Reading as Spiritual Practise for Children and Youth;" "Tell them Stories." Lectures given at Princeton Seminary, 2005.
•Quinn, Dermot. "Chesterton, Lewis, and the uses of Enchantment." The Chronicle of the Oxford University C.S. Lewis Society 3, no. 2 (May 2006):4-10 [pdf].
•Simonson, Martin. "The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings: Similarities and Differences Between Two Children of the Great War." E-F@Bulations (June 2008).
•Smietana, Bob. "C.S. Lewis Superstar: How a Reserved British Intellectual with a Checkered Pedigree Became a Rock Star for Evangelicals." Christianity Today, Nov. 23, 2005.
•Townsend, James. "Grace and the Arts: C.S. Lewis's Theology." Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society 13, 24 (Spring 2000).
•Wright, N.T. "Simply Lewis: Reflections on a Master Apologist after 60 Years." Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity (March 2007).

Other

See large database of papers presented at Taylor University's C.S. Lewis Society Colloquium, including the following pages: Resources, Inklings Forever, vol 7 (2010), vol. 6 (2008), vol. 4 (2004).

See the "Into the Wardrobe" site's collection of academic papers.

See the C.S. Lewis Institute's Reflections Archive and Legacy Recordings (e-audio lectures)

C.S. Lewis: 20th Century Christian Knight (website with extensive links by Dave Armstrong)

See Tyndale's eJournal Database (note: for Tyndale students and faculty only); see both EBSCOhost database and JSTOR. See also list of Tyndale's academic ejournals with full-text articles for download.

C.S. Lewis on the WWW
•The Centre for the Study of C.S. Lewis and Friends (Taylor University)
•The C.S. Lewis Institute
•The C.S. Lewis Society of California
•C.S. Lewis Foundation (Oxford)
•Lewisiana (Netherlands), with Bibliography of C.S. Lewis, and Bibliography of C.S. Lewis's Essays, Short-Stories and Other Short Prose as published in collected edition, 1939-2002 (Lewisiana.nl)
www.tyndale.ca...

Now, this guy wrote more articles, essays and books than I bet you even read in your lifetime.
edit on 8-5-2012 by manna2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This whole thing has been spun so hard it's ridiculous.

Government has no place taking any position whatsoever on the interpersonal relationships of adults.

The fact that so many imbeciles can carry on about "equality" and "fairness" and even cry "disenfranchisement" and "discrimination" over a wholly imaginary construct is absolutely shocking to me. As if people arent even thinking.

I got myself kicked out of a lesbian wedding for making that point. How dare I pose people take the side of liberty. How dare I suggest perhaps the bond these parties felt for each other is just as strong without government approval and could be stronger without the bureaucratic adulteration of having to stand in line at the DMV and ask your overlords for permission to pair up.

I cannot think of a more obvious non-issue than government recognizing your relationship equally.

Likewise I cannot think of a better illustration of how far government has gone in its habit of meddling with our lives and intruding into our personal affairs.

If half the idiots crying for "equality" stopped paying attention to this pseudo-cause and turned their attention to the fact that government has the audacity to form an opinion of your relationship, demand you be licensed for the privilege of establishing that relationship in front of your friends, your peers and your god, and holds the power to deny that license we could get some real change for a change.

Stop screaming for equal chains and help break the chains that bind us all. For #s sake.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

^^^
||||

This is what the mentality should be.

The government had no business creating a legal institution around a religious event. Now that they have, they must, under the law, provide equal rights to all consenting adults to have those same rights.

~Tenth

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If I was a homosexual, I would have a giant wedding ceremony and have my partner and I legally change our last names to match and just tell everyone we were married. All these public demonstrations are for show.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by manna2

Do you really, REALLY believe that the fed government cares about minority liberties? seriously?

Sure the government does. The same government that forced segregation. The same government that forced Jim Crow. The same government that banned homosexual business. The same government that sent storm troopers to bash in gay heads for attending illegal (by government decree) gay bars. The same government that has been repeatedly fighting to disarm the poor and the minority populations of this country for over a hundred years.

The government loves minority liberties.

Government is great at creating a problem then swooping in as the savior to the very problem it created.

And people buy the government load everyday.

It's never Steve down the street who imposes restrictions on your life. It isnt even First Congregational Bigoted Homophobe Church downtown that does it. It's government. Government likes to point to racist Steve or Homophobe Church but whens the last time Steve sent 500 cops to drag you out into the street? When's the last time Homophobe Church came into town rounded up all the Irish and took all their property? When's the last time any private person or group banned Chinese people from immigrating?

Nobody hates quite like government. And nobody has the power to force that hate down throats the way government does.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join