It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: 3D TV's Possibly Causing Strokes and Vision Loss

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I understand that seeing films on the big screen in 3D can be quite an experience,
hell, i would gladly pay myself sore to see the beach scene in "Saving private Ryan" in 3D,
but 3D TV? Sounds kinda lame.
Yeah, i´ll pass.
edit on 8-5-2012 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I can not watch HDTV, never looked at a 3D tv but if it is anything like a HDTV then I can understand. I do not know what it is, despite the excellent picture there is something about it that has a negative affect on me. It looks fake, green screened or even like a soap opera, something is not right about it. People have told me that this the way we see the world. I am sorry, what I see on those is not the way I see the real world. After about 20-30 minutes of watching it, I begin to get a headache.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Thank you for this thread and for raising awareness about the possible dangers of 3D TV. I did not realize that this type of viewing may cause strokes. I have a close family member who had a stoke in his eye, that led to blindness, so I will not be watching any 3D television.

It is all about profits, and it seems that many people just disregard warnings, unless they are on the mainstream media or in the newspaper. Many people think that "they would not sell us something dangerous, would they?". Nowdays, one really has to make sure they are informed and do their own research, glad that you shared yours.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Samsung Warning:

Warning

Some viewers may experience discomfort while viewing 3D TV such as dizziness, nausea and headaches. If you experience any such symptom, stop viewing 3D TV, remove 3D Active Glasses and rest.

Watching 3D images for an extended period of time may cause eye strain. If you feel eye strain, stop viewing 3D TV, remove your 3D Active Glasses and rest.

A responsible adult should frequently check on children who are using the 3D function. If there are any reports of tired eyes, headaches, dizziness, or nausea, have the child stop viewing 3D TV and rest.

Do not use the 3D Active Glasses for other purposes (such as general eyeglasses, sunglasses, protective goggles, etc.)

Do not use the 3D function or 3D Active Glasses while walking or moving around. Using the 3D function or 3D Active Glasses while moving around may result in injuries due to running into objects, tripping, and/or falling

Read another warning saying that children under 6 should never watch 3D T.V.
They stop just short of saying it's burning holes in our brain.
Like this part "A responsible adult should frequently check on children who are using the 3D function." A responible adult wouldn't let there kid watch something that could cause perminent damage.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

www.trustedhealthproducts.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Link one is good info. Link two is a better known source. This news you bring us is at least two years old and has been warned about. And you have to admit that your second friend who had the stroke probably watched too much tv at that point. He didn't follow instructions and he got hurt because of it. You said yourself he started watcing his 3dtv a lot whe he got it, and that he wasn't much of a tv watcher before that. It's like a sloth trying to run a marathon after being warned his heart could give out.

Also, I thought namatse was supposed to be rarely used, but I could be mistaken.

So, no conspiracy, not even any news. Everyone go home.
edit on 5/8/2012 by Adlai because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Just like drugs, they want them all, the drug dealers know the effects of drugs yet still keep peddling the powder.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I actually read that in an article regarding why the 3D tvs were unsafe... Cant for the life of remember the site. What it went on to say, the screen is the one focus point the 3D special effects that fly out at you are a second..
Causing nausea etc as the eyes used to strain on the earlier models.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
When the whole 3D craze began, I just knew eventually we'd start hearing about seizures, strokes, etc. I kept telling my friends that we're going to start seeing lawsuits against the 3D TV manufacturers. I just don't think our brains are built to be able to process images in that way.

I went to see Avatar in 3D, and experienced the worst headache. I get migraines, and this headache was horrendous. I also experienced eye pain and felt like I was going to throw up. Needless to say, I never care to see a 3D movie again. I just don't trust the technology.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

edit on 8-5-2012 by alien because: ...off-topic removed...benefit of the doubt that you were just being sarcastic...

XL5

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I think the 3D active glasses are more to blame then the 3D passive glasses. The 3D active glasses let the image through on one side and then alternate to the other side causing a flicker that you can't see but your brain does. Its the flicker that does it, you brain is getting over worked trying to remove the flicker and make it seem smooth.

Honestly, I wish people didn't sue if they are not permanently harmed and only if it was something unexpected, coffe is hot, we should all know that and expect it. I would imagine the next warning for 3D to be: WARNING DO not use your 3D active glasses on a date, the other person may think you're a nerd and you will not get any 3D action tonight (note: 3D glasses will not make her lady parts seem to jump out at you).

That said, if anyone wants a stroke, play slamscape for the ps1 for 3 hours with no breaks. That game was the all time worst headache, sickness inducing game ever. Made me want to go into a dark room and sleep! Youtube vidoes of it "should" work just as well.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I have gone to see a couple 3D movies, and Avatar was the only one that didn't give me a headache. I am happy with my LCD tv, until 3D technology is improved I don't plan on buying one.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I have a 3D-tv and a 3d computer and it doesn't hurt my eyes.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by wmd_2008

I have 2 3D tv's (one for almost 2 years) at home NO problems to report, Sony give a warning on the PS3 if you are going to play a 3D game so I would assume any 3D tv manual will give a warning.

YOU have NO real proof for the statement you make, it's YOUR opinion NOT FACT

You criticize others for having no proof of the statements that they make, while in the same post you say that you "assume that any 3dtv manual would give a warning" ?

Well lets see I have 2 3D tv's at home and actually 3 PS3's do they all have or give warnings YES a quick google and it seems since 3D tv's were announced warnings have been given by manufacturers so

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

This is a classic example of flawed post hoc reasoning. What you're saying is that you know two people with 3D displays and they both had a stroke, so therefore the TV must be the cause. I bet they also both had a sofa. Does that mean that LazyBoy is possibly to blame? The argument that the 3D display was connected to their impairment further crumbles when you consider what a stroke is and what causes one. A stroke occurs when there is either a narrowing of the arteries carrying oxygenated blood to the brain, or a blockage or clot. The lack of oxygen and glucose flowing to the brain leads to the death of brain cells and brain damage. Depending on which regions of the brain are effected, speech, vision, hearing, and motor functions can be permanently lost or impaired. Neurological distress induced by visual stimuli cannot cause a stroke. Certain visual stimuli can potentially induce a seizure in certain people, but a seizure and stroke are two very different things. I think it's a little irresponsible to sound the alarms based on these coincidental correlations. Next time, do some homework before yelling that the sky is falling (that doesn't happen until Dec. 21).

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Apple has already obtained the copyrights for glasses-free 3D television. I expect these types of problems to be a temporary thing. Not so much a conspiracy as just bad tech.

Though you're likely going to be paying a TON of money for anything that is new and Apple branded.
edit on 8-5-2012 by yourignoranceisbliss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I guess it does not surprise me that 3D tv's cause seizures there probably wasnt enough tests done to see what the effects on people were going to be. Now I have a good excuse not to buy one. Then again I still don't own a flatscreen either my TV is like 100 lbs!!

Its funny if my daughter hadn't given me the TV we have now I would not bother to have one at all. Some people cant seem to live without it, when mine broke and I didnt bother to get a new one everyone thought I was nuts.

But its kinda like the look I get when people find out I don't own a microwave LoL!!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hi People,

Topic of this thread: 3D TV's possibly causing strokes and vision loss.

Not Topic of this thread: Greetings, languages, countries you may or may not come from.

Cheers.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by F4guy

You have fallen into the same trap as a lot of untrained lay people - that of conflating correlation with causation. I would imagine that your 3D watching friends also used a toilet daily. Shall we then announce that going potty causes strokes? Causation requires a mechanism or mediating influence. Many people think that strokes are caused by neurologic problems. They are not. While a stroke causes neurological problems, a stroke is caused by vascular issues, either ischemic or hemorraghic. So, while watching TV can cause neurologic stimulation, there are no studies at all showing a vascular response to television.

I'm the last person you need to explain correlation over causation to my friend. There is a reason I said "possibly"...

And to correct your ill-informed statement, the DOCTORS explained it very simply... the increased strain to the eye muscles causes increased blood flow to those muscles and in turn, increases the pressure on the eye. The changes in pressure around the eye and it's blood vessels is significantly increased due to the strain that 3D glasses put on the eyes by forcing them to work harder. This can cause the blood vessels to burst or hemorrhage, which is why they had an ocular stroke and not a full blown stroke, but it was not removed from the realm of possibilities.

As far as your reference to "studies", please show me some long-term study that has been done for or against 3D TV being harmful. If it was completely harmless, and there was no causation as you claim, there would be NO warnings on 3D games or televisions.

And one more thing.... going potty most certainly DOES cause strokes when people have to force it out, which can cause blood vessels to burst in the brain.

The way some people go to the toilet could be a matter of life or death.

Squatting may increase the risk of stroke, particularly if a person is defecating, researchers suggest.

Doctors in Calcutta, India found a third of stroke deaths occurred while people were squatting.

Source

~Namaste

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adlai

www.trustedhealthproducts.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Link one is good info. Link two is a better known source. This news you bring us is at least two years old and has been warned about. And you have to admit that your second friend who had the stroke probably watched too much tv at that point. He didn't follow instructions and he got hurt because of it. You said yourself he started watcing his 3dtv a lot whe he got it, and that he wasn't much of a tv watcher before that. It's like a sloth trying to run a marathon after being warned his heart could give out.

Also, I thought namatse was supposed to be rarely used, but I could be mistaken.

So, no conspiracy, not even any news. Everyone go home.
edit on 5/8/2012 by Adlai because: (no reason given)

I don't know what post you are reading, but it wasn't my friend, it was a family member and I never said he watched "too much tv", nor that he didn't follow directions. What directions are you referring to? I never said how long he was watching something or anything of the sorts. Get your facts straight before you warp them. What I said was that when he got his 3D TV, he started watching a lot of the things he had already seen but never in 3D.

He didn't sit down and do marathon watching. He was in good health. The manufacturers don't warn of 3D TVs causing problems unless you already have problems, which he did not.

If you can't even bother to read the post, then don't bother replying and wasting other people's time.

~Namaste
edit on 8-5-2012 by alien because: ...off-topic commentary removed...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourignoranceisbliss

Apple has already obtained the copyrights for glasses-free 3D television. I expect these types of problems to be a temporary thing. Not so much a conspiracy as just bad tech.

Though you're likely going to be paying a TON of money for anything that is new and Apple branded.
edit on 8-5-2012 by yourignoranceisbliss because: (no reason given)

I agree... I think it's mostly bad tech, but there have been no studies to confirm. I think that's the next logical step once more people start filing lawsuits, which is already occurring.

~Namaste

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join