It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Weight...weight I can't believe anything about it"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by ArMaP

It's very possible that they smoked all the leaves off the plants used to make that mile long hemp rope and then since they were as stoned as the stone they talked it into moving there on it's own.

Best explanation in the whole dang thread by far! lmao.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I just want to say. This thread wa smeant to re-think the accepted theory. I never said dino's done it. I said look at what 100 tons looks like. Do you really see when we see the compariosn chart. Indians on a mountain top pulling a dino up a mountain with hemp rope?

If you didn't know I was talking about megalithic structures you would say hell no!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Simple answer is that the ancient peoples used technology that is no longer available to modern humans to move these stones.

Whether it was terrestrial or extraterrestrial technology remains to be seen.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manunnaki
I just want to say. This thread wa smeant to re-think the accepted theory. I never said dino's done it. I said look at what 100 tons looks like. Do you really see when we see the compariosn chart. Indians on a mountain top pulling a dino up a mountain with hemp rope?

If you didn't know I was talking about megalithic structures you would say hell no!

100 tonnes of stone is a lot smaller in actual size than 100 tonnes of dinosaur.

Same weight, different sizes.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
100 tons is only the weight of two D9 bulldozers. They can haul both dozers on a trailer at one time with ten elephants pulling it. All we have to look for is some big stone wheels incorporated into some building built long ago. Some steel axles would be needed also and they may have been hauled to a jobsite that's under water now.
edit on 8-5-2012 by rickymouse because: period

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Watch for the dragons triangle. Tell us how those stones were moved.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic
Watch for the dragons triangle. Tell us how those stones were moved.
Could you tell us at what time that appears in the video? It would help.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Why does everyone automatically jump to Aliens when they cannot understand how things were done. There could have been very advanced HUMAN cultures who passed on and took their technology with them.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manunnaki

Are said to have stones that weigh 100 - 200 ton stones.
So I ask ATS. Can humans move something as large as a 100 ton dinosaur with hemp rope?

The answer to your question is staring you right in the face. See those bumps on the sides of the rocks? Well, those are pivot points. See, the people you're talking about may have been "simple," but they weren't stupid. They understood that there's a lot of friction if you drag a flat rock along the ground. So what you do is minimize the amount of surface touching the ground. You leave bumps, and then you use the bumps to pivot and "walk" the large rock from place to place by shifting or spinning the balance from one bump to the other, and so on. Have you ever moved a refrigerator without a dolly? Tilt on a corner, pivot, tilt on the next corner, pivot, etc. Same kind of thing.

It takes a lot less effort and manpower. It also helps if you sing or chant while you do it, to keep the rhythm going. It takes some practice, but these guys had centuries to refine their techniques.

The tricky part is standing them up once you get them where you want. Fortunately, that shifting and walking technique works whether the rocks are lying down or standing up. Standing up, you just need a faster chant for the shorter steps the rock has to make.

First, you walk the rock to a short distance away from where you want the rock to eventually stand. Then chisel some "feet" into the short bottom end of the rock. The end you want it to stand on. You might not even need to do this if it's relatively narrow, and you can just use the edges of the rock. Then you dig a hole under one end of the rock so that it will pivot at the center and fall standing into the hole. Hopefully it won't break in the process. So you have a rock standing in a hole. Next, you dig a ramp up to where you want the stone to eventually stand, then slowly (quickly, actually) walk the standing rock up the ramp using baby steps. Once you get the rock where you want it to be, you can fill in around it, shape it, and maybe even knock the bumps/feet off it to make it look pretty.

If it's too rocky where you want to stand the stone, and you can't dig a ramp there, you do it someplace where the ground is easier to dig. Once you get the stone standing up, you can walk it for miles. That's the way the Easter Islanders did it.

It's simple, elegant, and takes more finesse and rhythm than brute force. Give people some credit!

edit on 8-5-2012 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Why does everyone automatically jump to Aliens when they cannot understand how things were done. There could have been very advanced HUMAN cultures who passed on and took their technology with them.

Why does everyone assume everyone is assuming aliens? I keep seeing this question coming up once and again, but without any real participation or effort at **suggesting** alternatives, which is the POINT of the thread.

-rrr

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Manunnaki

Here is a suggestion: Suppose that they traded effort for time at an ASTONISHING scale.

Suppose the technique they used was something along the lines described here:
drag the rock without any lubrication or rollers along the ground by pulling using a massively thick (or several thin) ropes in TWISTED PAIRS.

The pairs are twisted by rotating the pair at the top using an assembly that is firmly anchored.

After twisting for hours every day they rest, watch as the rock has displaced 3 mm's up. Untwist ropes, re-tighten the assembly. repeat.

50 years later the rocks are up.

I don't know if my description makes sense, hope it does.

-rrr

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I don't think it's as complicated as some people make it out to be. Using logs as "conveyor belt style" rollers is the hard way.

Now if I wanted to move a big stone block with wood here's how I'd do it: Draw a circle. Draw a square inside a circle. That square is the block of stone being moved. The remaining portions of the circle is where you put the wood. Use ropes to tie it on around there. Your block is in a casing that lets you roll it like a big wheel. Easy peasy, or so it seems.

Advantages: You just saved a whole lot of wood not needed for unnecessary rollers, as the thing you're moving rolls. If some areas are left open, you can put something resembling a big wrench on the block to turn it. Nice mechanical advantage there. Likewise gaps intentionally left in the circle part could allow for a less complicated lever to be inserted. Pull end of lever with ropes, even more mechanical advantage. How torque works shouldn't be too hard to understand, even without the modern math. (Stick lever on, pull lever to move big round thing in desired direction, remove lever after half a turn, repeat. Anyone familiar with a wrench should understand the idea.)

Other thoughts: You might need some planks to roll this "block in a roller" across various terrain which is too soft or uneven. But once you roll to the end of a set of planks, you move the planks from the back to the front. Still a lot cheaper than rollers for the whole path. For inclines, ramp planks and the outside of the block moving casing could be cogged or toothed. This would allow you to lever a block-in-roller uphill without it slipping (thus keeping your mechanical advantage of torqing a wheel from the outside), as planks going uphill would be anchored ahead of time. Throw a chock or tie-downs in there somewhere, and it shouldn't roll back as everyone gets ready for the next heave-ho uphill.

People back then weren't exactly stupid. And I think the thing I described could be fabricated with fairly simple tools. I just feel that some contemporary people may overlook certain ways of engineering things because it seems too simple. (BTW, I think that guy from Ohio mentioned earlier is on the right path.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join