It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Carnivores Tell Us Why It’s Ethical to Eat Meat: A Contest, A Summary, A Winner

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RandomEsotericScreenname

Aye But couldn't you flip that and say the reason we have evolved to think about it and in some cases feel bad about it is because we now don't need to hunt it and eat it?

None meating eating is the way forward in evolution I think. Our planet wont last for ever, some day we will need to move and its not going to be easy farming in space. Growing meat in labs on the ships maybe but not the way we do it now. and if we did find some where to settle it would be easier to grow plants than raise and farm animals on another world. imo. That said. I don't know what the future will throw at us. Maybe when the time comes in 100s 1000's millions of years time it will be just as easy for us to take cattle to other worlds as it is to move em from farm to slaughter house.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Your thread title is irritating, regardless of which side of the fence you're on.

There is no need to justify eating meat. Period. Until at some point it is deemed illegal to do so, your question is insulting, implying those who eat meat are lacking ethics.

If someone has a problem with meat-eaters, the burden is upon THEM to argue against it. We need not ask why we eat it or if we need permission to do so, because as anyone with a shred of common sense will tell you, it's always been about survival.

This thread is 100%

edit on 6-5-2012 by yourignoranceisbliss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

Have you ever seen a vegan, pale and skinny :S
edit on 5-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

Yes, my wife is a vegan and she'd whip your arse.
Pale and skinny my foot. She's a healthy tan and sexy curvaceous figure without being a fatty. She's fit and healthy.

It's her choice to be vegan, it's your choice to eat meat. Don't judge all books by their cover.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I have a question. Is it wrong to eat the womb and offspring of another life form? Well every time you eat a fruit or vegetable that is what you are doing. Sems kind of wrong when you say it that way. So lets all protest this evil act of eating the unborn children of another life form. Its horrible and grotesque barbarian acts. Theres no place for that in a loving world.

edit on 6-5-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

I see no reason at all to change a practise we have thrived on for ages. and that got us here in the first place. We can only evolve positivily to non meat eaters if one has the notion that is is somehow fundamentally wrong to eat meat.

I see no reason whatsoever to assume such a standpoint. Naturally every animal dies of old age anyway, and when that happens it usually suffers for days because it can't fend for itself anymore.

So I see nothing wrong with killing animals for food. It's natures way.

Off course, the way we farm our meat nowadays is not ethical. But the concept of eating meat is not unethical at all.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourignoranceisbliss
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Your thread title is irritating, regardless of which side of the fence you're on.

There is no need to justify eating meat. Period. Until at some point it is deemed illegal to do so, your question is insulting, implying those who eat meat are lacking ethics.

If someone has a problem with meat-eaters, the burden is upon THEM to argue against it. We need not ask why we eat it or if we need permission to do so, because as anyone with a shred of common sense will tell you, it's always been about survival.

This thread is 100%

edit on 6-5-2012 by yourignoranceisbliss because: (no reason given)

There's every need to justify eating meat. Since those being eaten don't have any say in the matter, those doing the eating have a clear moral duty to justify their actions. The fact that something may or may not be legal has no bearing on whether it is morally justifiable.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by thoiter

There's every need to justify eating meat. Since those being eaten don't have any say in the matter, those doing the eating have a clear moral duty to justify their actions. The fact that something may or may not be legal has no bearing on whether it is morally justifiable.

This is La La land reasoning. Is it ethical for a bear to eat salmon?

Suggesting that it matters that the eaten animals don't have a say in it is just blatant disregard for natural systems and hierarchy.

It is projecting human values and feelings onto animals which is ridiculous..

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
A healthy diet on veg can only last so long.We need meat.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DevineWisdom

If you think that evolution happens over night, then, yes, it does look pointless.I don't think that your teeth are considerably different than carnivores' teeth because of your ability to use tools, I see it as a hint that evolution is going in a certain direction. It is possible that you're in an evolutionary intermediate state, I don't know how you can be 100% convinced that you're not.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
blogs.sundaymercury.net...

Scientists from UC-Davis in America say plants "engage in self-recognition and can communicate danger to their 'clones' or genetically identical cuttings planted nearby", according to a report at the Examiner.

Plants have consciousness. There goes the whole moral argument for being a vegetarian.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RandomEsotericScreenname

Why would you mention anthropomorphism when you begin your post with "Is it ethical for a bear to eat salmon?" Or maybe you think that bears, too, like humans, have consciousness.
That's the whole point, bears are not aware that they are inflicting pain on other beings (or at least not to the degree we are), whereas humans are perfectly aware of what they are doing.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

That's the most pathetic argument employed by people who eat meat.
It amazes me every time in the worst possible way. Like they really care about the fact that plants have self-awareness, when they have no qualms about eating animals.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Yes, my wife is a vegan and she'd whip your arse.
Pale and skinny my foot. She's a healthy tan and sexy curvaceous figure without being a fatty. She's fit and healthy.

It's her choice to be vegan, it's your choice to eat meat. Don't judge all books by their cover.

Hunter gatherers is our best diet, and the main reason is because our bodies evolved with it. There is a reason why our bodies freak out on carbs and we get insulin/sugar spikes that we do not get from meats and fats. We were hunters long before we were farmers and grains and sugars are what is killing us. Grass fed meat without the chemicals, hormones and extra fats is the perfect food to be balanced with veggies, nuts and fruits.

We do not ever need extra carbs that we get in grain.

edit on 6-5-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname
reply to post by thoiter

This is La La land reasoning. Is it ethical for a bear to eat salmon?

Suggesting that it matters that the eaten animals don't have a say in it is just blatant disregard for natural systems and hierarchy.

It is projecting human values and feelings onto animals which is ridiculous..

Well I would consider the suggestion that animals have no values or feelings is a better example of La La land reasoning. I presume you've never owned a dog, or watched a gorilla.
If I prevent a lion from eating a child, am I blatantly disregarding natural systems and hierarchy?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I know I am late to the party here but this is what I feel about this.
Not eating meat is not natural, it is akin to telling a male and a female couple in love not to copulate.

It is ingrained in our brains and always has been.

This makes me think of the big push to make males more submissive and wear pink.
It is a media thing in my opinion.

I will take a top sirloin 1 inch thick done slow please.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I eat meat because its tasty.

Lions do not ponder if its ethical to eat a gazelle. It would not ponder the ethics of eating a human if it could and found us delicious.
We are the only species that considers such questions of ethics, and that very same process (higher thinking) has allowed us to dominate the food chain.
I find our higher thinking is exactly why we can ethically eat animals. We contemplate our consumption, we understand it, and the choice to eat meat is already giving the animal far more honor in its place in the world than my dog gives a chicken when I toss it a bit of chicken meat or any other animal that rips apart and consumes the other animal.

The fact that I can demand cows get treated better rises me above other animals whom wouldn't care at all. The fact that I want chickens to be free range gives me a level of ethics unprecedented compared to any other animal on earth.
We can do it, so we do do it. We accept our biology, but even here we accept it only when it suits us, and when it doesn't we alter it...again, another thing the homosapian animal only can do. We rule, both figuratively and literally.

Should you get trapped in a bear cave, I do hope the bear stops and ponders the ethics of eating a human before it has a manwich....but biology says it won't...so, you better rely on your bad tasting body and your sharp mind to get you out of that situation.

Mosquito's never ponder if its right to drink blood from animals. Could they get their nutrients elsewhere? maybe, but animal blood is much sweeter.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Followup:

I do not personally enjoy the concept of animals dying to feed me. I eat meat for taste and texture alone. I am all for labs growing meats that taste/feel like the real counterparts.

I am also pro-vegatarian message. It may work for some, and the more leaf eaters we have on earth, the less farms required, and the higher the population we can have without impact on the environment.

If everyone on the earth ate like the average american meat eater, the planet would be in red crisis now due to endless farms, forests chopped down to raise cattle and pigs, etc.
A farm of veggies and wheat takes...1 acre for of food. a ranch requires 8 acres to feed 1 cow. if we all just ate fruits and veggies, we could supply the world with farmland about the size of ohio. Meat consumption is a environmental destroyer with our current farming methods. This can be improved dramatically, but for now, how we do things is obscenely consuming on our natural resources.

And in my opinion, to the techs and intellects, this argument is the only really valid argument to present.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Plain and simple, it's 100% perfectly natural for humans to eat meat. Those ignorant, condescending vegetarian nitwits are the most annoying and ignorant group of people to even bother trying to reason with. Just about as bad as the moon landing hoax believers, another impossible group to deal with.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by gameisupman

But the fact that it's natural doesn't make it ethical, which is what we're discussing here. Even if it's 100% natural, who says that we shouldn't change our behaviour if we become aware of a flaw in it? But I suppose you don't see anything ethically wrong in eating meat and that ends the debate.
edit on 6-5-2012 by Isayeva because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
You mean omnivores.
If people didn't eat meat, there would be too many of the animals we eat assuming we all went vegan over night. I want to see someone yell at a cat for eating meat.
edit on 1/7/12 by Avalessa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join