It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else feel trapped

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Sometimes I find myself just looking up at the night sky and see all those stars and then I imagine what it must be like on the planets that are orbiting around them.

Does anyone else feel trapped here? I would give it all up to just get on a ship and go explore the vastness of the Universe. as long as I got to take my dog with me

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Sometimes I find myself just looking up at the night sky and see all those stars and then I imagine what it must be like on the planets that are orbiting around them.

In most cases you would either freeze or overheat slowly until you are dead, if the lack of oxygen/atmosphere doesn't kill you first. I'm quite happy here on earth.

edit on 11/27/10 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I agree...for a moment, until you realize you'd be travelling till you died, before you even got to anything.

even going the speed of light. there are near by stars around 10-20 light years or so but what are the chances there is any life around them? you'd spend all of your time searching and never finding much.
unless you became a cyborg, yes that's my solution, then you could search endlessly.

Earth is okay when you get away from everything and everyone. best planet in the universe as far as i'm concerned

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Well if there was ever the possibility of becoming part cyborg then I'd do it!

I'd love to volunteer to go on the first mission to another star...even if it means that there's a possibility of me not coming back.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
eventually manned missions to mars will take place, they are developing biosuit prototypes for the mission right now.

NASA is planning a manned mission to Mars by the 2030s, but preparation for this long-term discovery has already begun.

Members of the K-State kinesiology and electrical engineering departments are participating in several research projects that need to be done for this Mars mission to take place.

“They [NASA] told us there is no other laboratory in the country, no other school, that’s collecting the kind of data that we are collecting. In that sense K-State and our project are unique,”

When a human being goes to space, virtually every part of the body deteriorates. This is the reason why Barstow’s students also work on defining the minimum level of conditioning necessary to perform tasks in space.

also

Vladimir Popovkin, head of Russian space agency Roscosmos, said this week that the agency plans to repeat the Mars500 experiment that ended late last year.

The 520-day Mars500 experiment simulated a manned flight to the Red Planet on Earth, testing how astronauts might handle the endurance of a long mission like a trip to Mars.

Popovkin said Roscosmos wants to repeat the experiment, but simulate the mission to Mars on board the International Space Station so that scientists will be able to see the effects of the long-term mission while in space. In a real space flight, people will be facing factors like radiation and zero gravity. Radiation damages DNA and eye lenses and retina, which can lead to making mistakes in flight control.

Zero gravity is an important factor because it can cause a loss of calcium that weakens the cosmonaut’s bones.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I think it would be pretty awesome to have the opportunity to travel to outer space. I'm not even all that interested in going personally but I feel like I would have to just for all the other people in the world who dream of it but won't ever get the chance to go. Every once in a while I go to a bar out in the country where the sky is wide open. When I have a smoke outside I always look up and I get to thinking about things like this... at the same time, if there is a God then I doubt he would have made it so hard for us to get there if he really wanted us meddling with things that we don't fully understand.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I don't think we should do this until we have a better way of travelling in space.

At the moment we put some people in a rocket, fill it with fuel, light it and hope for the best.
Expensive, inefficient and dangerous.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Well if there was ever the possibility of becoming part cyborg then I'd do it!

I'd love to volunteer to go on the first mission to another star...even if it means that there's a possibility of me not coming back.

Heck, I'd volunteer for that mission. Why not? No one gets out of life alive, and I can think of a thousand bad reasons to die. Not many good ones... That one though? Well, that is a way I suppose would feel worth it at the end of the trip. What a wonder to see and be the first. Someday, that'll bound to be a question. Maybe decades from now?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
count me in i want off this rock as soon as.
just need to find a way of travaling faster than the speed of light,
or some other travel method.

imagine seeing all the diffrent planets, yes you might need a space suite
but i dont mind that and the possability of meeting aliens

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I mean instead of spending 400 billion dollars per year fighting each other...we could be building telescopes with 30 meter mirrors and launching them into space...they would give us high resolution images of stars and planets up to 100 million light years away.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The same kind of ideas and "facts" get thrown around about how far the stars appear from us, it often sounds like the thought process that proclaimed that sailing beyond the horizon would cause one to sail off the edge of the world, same concepts it seems to me but different belief systems making the similar statements about certain death if that action were attempted before one came upon a life bearing planet. Appearances can seem deceptive, just take a magicians trick as a possible example. Also don't forget the likelihood that 99.998% of the planet has no actual experience of leaving the orbit of earth into outer space and we seem stuck at the same point in terms of experimental data that we were at prior to intercontinental sailing.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by slaine1978
just need to find a way of travaling faster than the speed of light.

If you did this, time from your point of view will almost be at a standstill.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Take some shrooms, i swear they will unleash you and your mind to travel faster than light (speed of thought) and you will see the true nature of the universe all in your mind, this can be done in lotus or lying down, no traveling required (maybe into nature first).

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I'm in my early sixties, and have always felt I just don't belong here. Even now the night sky invokes the same feelings of lonliness, awe, and wondering where we all came from, that I had as a young lad. Lately these emotions have been added to by a sort of knowing that I'll soon be going home, wherever that might be.
I just can't get my head into all the hype concerning stuff that's supposed to happen later this year, and as far as I'm concerned this year will end like most others, unless one of our idiotic leaders and those who control them, decide it's a good time to start another war. With there being so many folk expecting something drastic to happen, the last couple of months of this year would also be a good time to put into play a false flag alien invasion, or whatever else it would take that would cause humanity to beg all major powers to band together and form a one world government.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

@Does anyone else feel trapped .

No, but it would be nice to see the universe from an interior Universal inhabitants point of view instead of artist depictions..

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
By the stupidity of society. Not by the Earth. I too however love star gazing, it makes me feel both alone and not at the same time. I feel cosmic like i'm part of a vast maginificant community. But everything is so so far away.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Sort of.

We stay here too long and we'll get cabin fever.

We instinctively always expand.

We can't expand at the rate necessary if we stay here.

Space is so big that it's easy to feel trapped.

And cosmology says the universe will just keep on expanding.

We can only see some 46 billion lights years in technical terms. If we were 10 billion light years closer to the edges of hte observable universe, how much further would we see? Tough to say since we know that expansion is not uniform. And we're unsure exactly when they occurred. But it's very possible that if we were 10 billion light years closer to the edges that our observable universe would be equal in size to this one. All of this is a consequence of the expanding universe being greater in size than the speed of light can transmit to our telescopes. It truly is a big universe. But this doesn't tell us what the concentration of matter or life would be (it just tells us about the size). I think that life needs enough time. So this means that stars have to supernova and so on. There has to be enough of the right elements. This isn't the case in the very very very young universe.

Of course, what I just said is a review of something I read the other day. I'm not a professional scientist. All I know is that the actual universe is bigger than what we can possibly see with light.

This is a nice link:
en.wikipedia.org...

I love that comment someone made about the age just before/after sailing. How there were maps that showed that the world ended in a bottomless abyss. We haven't yet ventured out past the orbit of the moon (manned). And yet we're already claiming to know about the probabilities of going out further beyond into the universe. It's kind of funny, if you have some humor. We know so little.
edit on 3-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Perhaps I'm a little unusual, but I'm glad that we're confined to Earth. I don't think we're old enough to go out and play nicely yet. I'd rather that the Universe not know about us for a long time. I'd be ashamed.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I'm not a scientist lol but you know what i meen some other method of travel,
wormhole or something.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The surface area of the Earth is roughly 510 million square kilometers.

If we say that 80% of it is inaccessible due to it being water or otherwise, we are still talking about 102 million square kilometers.

Being confined to the Earth is really the least of one's worries.

Perhaps one is looking for an excuse to ignore the more... immediate problems which plague us?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join