It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima on Steroids: "Japan is in the Process of Contaminating the Entire Pacific Ocean"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

yes.It provided russians will excellent data on behaviour of living organisms in a radiological environment.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Why Fukushima Is a Greater Disaster than Chernobyl and a Warning Sign for the U.S.

With a half-life of 30, years, Cs-137 gives off penetrating radiation, as it decays. Once in the environment, it mimics potassium as it accumulates in biota and the human food chain for many decades. When it enters the human body, about 75 percent lodges in muscle tissue, with perhaps the most important muscle being the heart. Studies of chronic exposure to Cs-137 among the people living near Chernobyl show an alarming rate of heart problems, particularly among children. As more information is made available, we now know that the Fukushima Dai-Ichi site is storing 10,833 spent fuel assemblies (SNF) containing roughly 327 million curies of long-lived radioactivity About 132 million curies is cesium-137 or nearly 85 times the amount estimated to have been released at Chernobyl. The overall problem we face is that nearly all of the spent fuel at the Dai-Ichi site is in vulnerable pools in a high risk/consequence earthquake zone. The urgency of the situation is underscored by the ongoing seismic activity around NE Japan in which 13 earthquakes of magnitude 4.0 - 5.7 have occurred off the NE coast of Honshu in the last 4 days between 4/14 and 4/17. This has been the norm since the first quake and tsunami hit the site on March 11th of last year. Larger quakes are expected closer to the power plant.

Yeah time for action!

Senator Wyden finds that TEPCO's plan for remediation carries extraordinary and continuing risk. He sensibly recommends that retrieval of spent fuel in existing on-site spent fuel pools to safer storage in dry casks should be a priority. Given these circumstances, a key goal for the stabilization of the Fukushima-Daichi site is to place all of its spent reactor fuel into dry, hardened storage casks. This will require about 244 additional casks at a cost of about $1 mllion per cask. To accomplish this goal, an international effort is required – something that Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) has called for. As we have learned, despite the enormous destruction from the earthquake and tsunami at the Dai-Ich Site, the nine dry casks and their contents were unscathed. This is an important lesson we should not ignore.

edit on 3-5-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

That was a great video. It proves how strong nature is. The Animals look so healthy. Is it that they don't have the life span that we humans do, or is it something else? I would love to know the mortality rate of all of the species that seem to be thriving there in a so-called radio active waste land. Very interesting. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

I don't know everything. The other videos I mentioned at the beginning of the thread showed a lot of the same but they were following the scientists who work there everyday and delt more with the specifics you're interested in. Every animal that lives there eats craps and dies radiation. Their entire lives. Everything there sets off geiger counters: the grass, live animals and their carcasses. Kittens & cats, puppies & wolves, fish, birds, horses, trees, dirt, snakes, bugs... everything. Erie stuff!

That's what got me to finally comment on one of these threads. Before that I could see the plants surviving out there, and I've seen Chernobyl shown before in the series "Life After People" where vegetation was reclaiming everything, but they didn't talk too much about the fauna there. I was floored when I saw the animals suriviving like that the other night.

Apparently mammals adjust to raised levels of radiation. One excited researcher believes that cancer chemo/radiation patients can have a far less horrific treatment processes if they're first acclimated to higher levels of 'radiation' similar to the animals at chernobyl, because when the treatments normally come at people its a total shock to the system. They got this idea because they took rats not previously exposed to radiation and put them out there in cages. After a while they brought them back and exposed them to massive amounts of radiation. The rats that had been out in the field for months or whatever barely reacted to it, but control group rats not exposed at all they reacted very poorly to the same mass blast treatment as we would expect, what all this tissy about radiation is about.

It makes sense because radiation is EVERYWHERE and here all this life is thriving on earth.

They keep catching mice and rats out there and no tumors. The big mammals seem fine.

Birds show different results tho. Not quite 2 headed birds, but they do find slight oddities and defects in some species of them. A lot of it might have to do with birds and come and go, fly right out of there, or migrate in. Quickly go from 'no' radiation to Chernobyl radiation. Plus different areas have different levels. But it still looks like they're not as built for it like mammals, as maybe they dont have to be they don't live on the ground like mammals: they can fly away. But the other films show there are endangered storks that nest there that wouldn't anywhere people are, and I don't recall them saying that the raptors whom eat field mice and toil in the soil have those problems.

Of course an ideal world wouldn't have meltdowns. Better yet we wouldn't get raped every month on electric bills. The days are coming we will get both. We can only be held down for so long, and the sooner the public gets educated and gets some solidarity the sooner that can happen. People losing their minds and being hysteric, and blowing their brains out isn't the way to get there. The people most directly impacted by things are the ones we should build up strong for the front lines, not push them to the back and over the edge.
edit on 3-5-2012 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Well, things did get heated last night, but I appreciated your posts. You and I may disagree on a few points like if bringing this issue up is good or bad for the Japanese people, but that's ok. I believe that both of us have good intentions.

Yeah it really is amazing though. It's almost as if those animals adapted to their environment, or like you suggested it's a come and go situation where those who stay seem to do better than those species who migrate from in and out of the infected area. I think we humans can learn alot from places like this, as well as Fukushima in regards to treating Cancer. Anyway again, good video bro. ~$heopleNation

<< 8  9  10   >>

join