It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Nothing he said was really that shocking besides saying "bull#". He could have said "nonsense" but it'd still have the same effect.

All he was pointing out in effect was, "Hey Christian girls, how is it right that you don't have to be a virgin on your wedding night while gays can't have sex at all?"

Like he said, they ignore the stuff that is inconvenient to their "modern life" but hold others to a standard back 2000 or so years ago, whether or not they believe. I'm sure they know the double standard which they'd rather not pay too much attention to.
edit on 4/28/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1
Nothing he said was really that shocking besides saying "bull#". He could have said "nonsense" but it'd still have the same effect.

All he was pointing out in effect was, "Hey Christian girls, how is it right that you don't have to be a virgin on your wedding night while gays can't have sex at all?"

Like he said, they ignore the stuff that is inconvenient to their "modern life" but hold others to a standard back 2000 or so years ago, whether or not they believe. I'm sure they know the double standard which they'd rather not know about.

Dan Savage attacked the Christians because they are against gay marriage.

Pick up the phone and ask him.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

That wasn't where he lost it. It was just a vid someone posted as an example.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by graphuto

Originally posted by jimmyx

i guess it's alright if your son was called a "f-in" faggot by christians, or beat up, or tied to a barb-wired fence and left to die...those things have happened...but woah!! don't insult the christian faith, that would make you furious.

Irrelevant to the current situation. Of course it wouldn't be all right if her son was called a "f-in" faggot by Christians, or beat up, or tied to a barb-wired fence and left to die. According to Jesus, we know them by their fruits. If people are doing this, they just clearly aren't Christian, no matter what they say, and can be written off as such, leaving no foul mark against real Christians.

So, you're trying to illicit some sort of similar response from the people here, but you don't even understand what you're saying. Fail.
edit on 28-4-2012 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

please study the "dark ages" in europe, christians tortured and killed non-believers for centuries...or how early god-fearing and religous zealots in the early days of america burned "witches", flogged and tortured "sinners" in the new colonies...and...THE PEOPLE THAT DID THIS WERE CLEARLY CHRISTIAN!!!

No, they weren't. They claimed to be. True Christians are tolerant. I am not Muslim, Jewish or any other faith, yet I have no problem with them. I'm not homosexual, yet again, I have no problem with homosexuality, I am angry at some churches and how they cover up sexual abuse. If anyone should know,
New International Version (©1984)
Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Matthew 18:3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

It would be the churches. Like apples, some are good, and some just are rotten to the core.

edit on 4/28/2012 by happyhomemaker29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Pointing out a double standard to a less-than-bright person isn't an attack, as much as it might feel like that to the person on the receiving end.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
reply to post by graphuto

The christians in the OP took offence to the victim and the exposer of christian gay bullying
instead of dealing with the so called fake christians that do it

so again another proof your arguement is a non contender

What would you have us do? Denounce them and the evil they spread? We do that. And unless it happens directly near us, it's not like we can go up the individual and tell them to stop spreading hate. When it happens near us, we do. When we see it, we speak up. We are the minority in terms of spreading love, not hate. I'm sorry if you came across those that do spread hate. But being sorry for someone else's actions doesn't mean I can stop them personally in the future.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Regardless of what each of our opinions may be (and they will obviously differ), the moral of the story is when you are the spokesman for a cause, you need to be above reproach in your behavior.

This man was nothing of the sort. If you are for or against the students that walked out, he still should not have resorted to insulting them (even if you considered it not that bad). If you are a figurehead for an anti-bullying campaign, you should not do such things yourself.

You should be a model of what your campaign is.

His point wasn't one of intentional insult, but rather irony. In which case his remark was fair.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Pointing out a double standard to a less-than-bright person isn't an attack, as much as it might feel like that to the person on the receiving end.

Calling teenagers names as they flee the scene of an ambush is immature and hateful.

Dan Savage attacked / ambushed the Christian high school students because Christians

are against gay marriage.
--------
BTW, do you really think Dan Savage helped the Pro Gay Marriage effort?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Would you turn to the bible to help you figure out what to do if your daughter wasnt a virgin on her wedding night?

Is the bible all pure truth that should be taken literally from front to back?

Whenever you cite from that book something that is supposed to be taken seriously you open up the entire book to critique in order to determine whether its solutions have merit at all. Either its infallible (obviously not) or its flawed (obvisouly), and those who follow the good book should exhibit traits leaning more towards infallibility, rather than exhibiting signs of worshipers of a flawed book.

Placing more importance on a few lines of words (in an old ass book that was rewritten over and over, whos good message was hijacked by the people at the top of an organization of power) than on human lives is the hieght of irresponsability, and the mark of a good sheep who will follow the shepard.

Organized religions opperate on peer pressure, which loosely translates to follow the leader, or shepard, making the followers sheep, which your leaders understand perfectly you see, they refer to you as their flock (of sheep and they are the shepard).

Let the mental gynastics continue!!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Calling teenagers names as they flee the scene of an ambush is immature and hateful.

Dan Savage attacked / ambushed the Christian high school students because Christians

--------

They walked out before he even got to that part. The problem is they felt it was an attack on Christianity, when he was pointing out Christians don't follow all parts of the Bible as well, which is a fair assessment.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Your OPINION is a follower of Jesus wouldnt act like that. Its a FACT that they have.
Believing otherwise is a sign of mental illness.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

--------

They walked out before he even got to that part. The problem is they felt it was an attack on Christianity, when he was pointing out Christians don't follow all parts of the Bible as well, which is a fair assessment.

I watched the entire video. i know exactly what Dan Savage was up to.

For some reason he feels empowered to smear the Holy Bible and swear like

a demon.

In his mind it's payback for being against gay marriage.

All he did was show us his true colors.

There are many words in the dictionary to express yourself.

He chose all of the wrong ones during that speech. Watch the whole video again.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The only actual problem was his language (which he seems to use everywhere he goes). Everything else he said was spot on. People ignore a lot of stuff in the bible that is wrong, and yet still follow the homophobic verses. He wouldn't be criticizing the bible if people did use it as an excuse to hate gay people (which I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people calling him a bully did).

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
A few things come to mind.

Forgiveness.
Love thy enemy.
Turn the other cheek.

That should about sum it up.
Hopefully my neutral and diplomatic approach can aid in resolving such conflicts, albeit in a marginal fashion.
edit on 28-4-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

How about move forward and change history, you know, like you believe Jesus did!!

How can you argue against the greater good of equal peace and love for all?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Whether he used to right words or not is debatable. That can go for any of our speech. But if you focus on that without looking at what was meant, you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
By the way did you guys see South Park a few weeks ago?

It was about a high school circuit speaker promoting anti-bullying.

And he was the biggest bully of all.

Just found it ironic, and the timing impeccable.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by technical difficulties
The only actual problem was his language (which he seems to use everywhere he goes). Everything else he said was spot on. People ignore a lot of stuff in the bible that is wrong, and yet still follow the homophobic verses. He wouldn't be criticizing the bible if people did use it as an excuse to hate gay people (which I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people calling him a bully did).

Just look at his body language.

He smeared the Holy Bible, cursed like a demon and enjoyed himself doing it.

He gave a meaningless apology at the end but nobody believes him.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname
reply to post by longjohnbritches

Thanks for proving my point. Intolerance after a little bit of well founded criticism and an honest observation.

Where did I say I am anti Christian? Just told it like I saw it. Were Christians not walking out after the first word of criticism because they would not tolerate it?

And anti American, where did you get that from?

This is funny, I just made an observation and you are already showing your intolerance and try to demonize me.

That's pathetic.

edit on 28-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

Criticism?????? Ummm no he called the bible BULLSH**

He could’ve made his point in a respectful professional way, but his own hate and “intolerance” of a book which has views opposite his! So he made a very offensive and rude comment.

In my opinion he just wanted to attack with a quick stab anybody who believes being gay is bad and unnatural!
He wants people to be tolerant of his way of life , but he cant be tolerant of other peoples beliefs?

edit on 28-4-2012 by Sippy Cup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup
reply to post by RandomEsotericScreenname

Criticism?????? Ummm no he called the bible BULLSH**

He could’ve made his point in a respectful professional way, but his own hate and “intolerance” of a book which has views opposite his! So he made a very offensive and rude comment.

In my opinion he just wanted to attack with a quick stab anybody who believes being gay is bad and unnatural!
He wants people to be tolerant of his way of life , but he cant be tolerant of other peoples beliefs?

The Dan Savage performance was disrespectful and selfish.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join