It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
This government-wide anti-bullying campaign has a hidden agenda.

To silence, supress freedom of thought, of expression excluding the more politically correct ideologies.

I couldn't agree more. Very similar in nature and purpose to the story running today about MoveOn.Org pushing hard for the banning of 'illegal' being used as a term for ILLEGAL immigrants.

You're right on. It's become a fight for language, terminology and how the meaning can be entirely redefined by it.

You'd think a hateful troll of a man would find something other than 'anti-bullying' as a personal crusade. What interesting times we live in. (curses all fortune cookies forever)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Looks to me it is just another way to divide the people. Black/White, religious/athiest, gay/ not gay. They are very much succeeding in putting us all into catgories. Perfect little boxes that define who we are.

I am not gonna be put in a box. Unless the box is full of other people that feel everyone should be who they are, and no one should try to change them.

This guy is not helping anyones cause, he is hurting everyone. There is no need to bash anyone in regards to their beliefs and/or values. It was wrong. If you can't get your point across with intelligent, unhurtful remarks, your not gonna change anyones opinion. And isn't that what he is trying to do? Change the opinion of others so we can all live in harmony. But how do you accomplish harmony if you give a speech of disharmony?

Just once I would like to hear someone give a speech or say something alongs the line of "It's o.k. that you are who you are, please, just let me be me too." Then maybe I would listen. As soon as you start to bash another person to make your point, I tune out.

I can not understand why we still need to belittle other people in order to make ourselves look better. I still keep hoping this will change, but with every passing day, I feel like it just keeps getting worse.

Sorry, I just don't understand these things and if someone can explain to me how these types of speeches benefit your cause, I would gladly listen.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
it appears to me that the speaker was trying to show how religion can be used as a weapon by a bully. dan savage is right, if one part of the bible is true then it all has to be true. if one part is false then the rest comes into question. picking and choosing what you believe from the bible can be hazardous.

-subfab

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

The thing that I guess bothers me is, up to a hundered students walked out and good for them, I would've done the same thing. And here's the part that bothers me, how many stayed to listen to this idiot speak? How many stayed gobbling up the garbage this bully was spewing?
Then we have this:

The executive director of the National Scholastic Press Association provided Fox News with joint statement from the Journalism Education Association that was sent to members – after a number of people complained about Savage’s remarks.
“We appreciate the level of thoughtfulness and deliberation regarding Dan Savage’s keynote address,” the NSPA wrote. “some audience members who felt hurt by his words and tone decided to leave in the middle of his speech, and to this, we want to make our point very clear:

Maybe I'm interperting this wrong, but it sounds like the director is giving a little dig at the students and advisers that walked out with the crack "While as a journalist it’s important to be able to listen to speech that offends you, these students and advisers had simply reached their tolerance level for what they were willing to hear.”
Like they were supposed to just sit there with smiles on their faces and let someone bash them.
Anyways, I'm, glad that there are some people that have a back bone and will stand for what they believe is right.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Huh.....does this remind anyone of a certain South Park Episode?

I didn't see it.
Who played the speaker?
Mr. Hankey??

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I've just watched the video. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see anything particularly disturbing. Yes, the guy is an arrogant, condescending jerk with an attitude problem, but from everything I've ever seen, that's actually fairly standard for the gay movement, or their advocates.

The procession of students walking out was the source of a good belly laugh, however. I admit that I didn't know there were that many people left of that age group, who still cared about Christianity all that much.

I understand, on a very deep, visceral level, why some people hate Christians. I really do. Yet my understanding it, does not change the fact of the matter that, as far as I am concerned, hating them is wrong.

If we hate them, all it does is make their condemnation of us justified.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
-- John 13:34-35

If they don't adhere to this themselves, then that is all the more reason why we should. If we are granted the one grace of being able to communicate with each other in Hell, and we are able to give each other even the memory of love, then Hell will be no Hell at all.
edit on 28-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

If this thread is about the vid Holodomor posted then I see nothing wrong with the speech. It just shows that Christians walk out (like sheep after the first one) as soon as one word of critique is uttered about the Bible, wich only shows their intolerance.

Well founded critique that is.
edit on 28-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

edit on 28-4-2012 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname

If this thread is about the vid Holodomor posted then I see nothing wrong with the speech. It just shows that Christians walk out (like sheep after the first one) as soon as one word of critique is uttered about the Bible, wich only shows their intolerance.

Well founded critique that is.

So you are Anti-American Anti-Christianite.
What else ya got.

Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States - Similarto Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to recent surveys, 83 percent of Americans identify with a religious ... The majority of Americans (60% to 76%) identify themselves as Christians, ...

History of religion in the United ... - Freedom of religion in the ...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

Thanks for proving my point. Intolerance after a little bit of well founded criticism and an honest observation.

Where did I say I am anti Christian? Just told it like I saw it. Were Christians not walking out after the first word of criticism because they would not tolerate it?

And anti American, where did you get that from?

This is funny, I just made an observation and you are already showing your intolerance and try to demonize me.

That's pathetic.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Thanks for proving my point. Intolerance after a little bit of well founded criticism and an honest observation.

Where did I say I am anti Christian? Just told it like I saw it. Were Christians not walking out after the first word of criticism because they would not tolerate it?

This is funny, I just made an observation and you are already showing your intolerance and try to demonize me.

That's pathetic.

There is a difference between being tolerant of ones beliefs and just sitting there while they # talk you. You can't even make that comparison. Fail.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

He had only said that the bible was wrong on some issues and they started walking out.

It clearly is wrong on some issues.

They are free to walk out, but what he said was not bad or disrespectfull at all, definately not in the way the OP is suggesting, anyway.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

Thanks, ILikeStars, funny, and sounds a lot like myself. I was beginning to feel alone, but now I see I am in good company.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Obviously you did not read the link.

That's pathetic.

Perhaps not so funny when you read it like you type it.

Text Like sheep after the first one

Do you not see your spin deceit here. Americans are a majority of Christians.
They are not sheep following each other around with out purpose.
Their purpose is to preserve the Republic. Christians are way more smart and united than you can imaging. Or maybe you can and that's why you are here bashing. Grow up and stop lying to yourself.
BTW the bible was not Christian. They merely have a version of it.
Did some one point out what religion the speaker was???
Another BTW how do you know all the folks that walked were even Christian?
pa fooey ljb

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
A lot of Christians are some of the most judgmental human beings I have ever met. It's actually rather scary.

They act like pharisees yet claim Jesus

edit on 28-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Yes like sheep, I could see it on their faces. "....ooh, we need to get out of here cause .....did so too, it's probably the Christian thing to do".

I'm not implying that Christians are sheep, I'm saying that these kids acted like sheep out of peer pressure.

BTW the bible was not Christian. They merely have a version of it.

So what was the problem then buddy? He was talking about the bible, not Christians. Another reason to not make a problem out of this.

Christians are way more smart and united than you can imaging.

I don't think you can generalize a group of a certain religion like that, I am sure there are smart ones and dumb ones, just like people in general. I also don't think you should assume what my imagination is capable of.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Only going to get worse partygirl. You know the time we've entered into. You can expect to see alot worse stuff than this. I applaude the kids who walked out on that bozo, he was grandstanding ontop of attacking christian beliefs.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Yes like sheep, I could see it on their faces. "....ooh, we need to get out of here cause .....did so too, it's probably the Christian thing to do".

I'm not implying that Christians are sheep, I'm saying that these kids acted like sheep out of peer pressure.

Unless you are a Christian you are ignorant beyond ignorance.
Fess up you just don't know. Actually you are a bigot at the minimun.
People that look like sheep???
What stupid school did you go to?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The school called life that tought me to pick up on peoples' behavior.

Good call on the name calling, what ever happened to turning the other cheek?

Obviously you did not read the link.

Because it is complete bs and stretching my comment beyond logic.

People that look like sheep???

I clearly said acted like sheep, buddy.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

“Judge not, that you be not judged.
2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
3 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Bible doesn't say that you can't be judgemental, just make sure you have your own self straight before you try to help someone else, and accept that the degree of judgement you dole out will be returned to you.

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
16 You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
17 So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.
18 A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.
19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
20 Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.

How would we be able to recognize anyone by their fruits unless SOME sort of judgement was passed in our minds?

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’
23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

This speaks towards the "Pharisees" so rest easy, sir.

edit on 28-4-2012 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join