It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone here believe they are a sort of Christian Agnostic?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
When I told my mother that I thought I was agnostic, she looked at me and said "So? Who isn't? Everyone wants proof honey, but that makes a mockery of faith and should God indeed exist, makes a mockery of Him also."
edit on 27-4-2012 by CirqueDeTruth because: spellling

edit on 27-4-2012 by CirqueDeTruth because: finished sentence.

What a beautiful saying.

2nd

Thank You. She is a wise ole' crone....

I mean a beautiful mother full of support and love.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

You cannot be christian and agnostic. You are agnostic. We know who our God is and that he exists. Agnostics do not know if there is a God or not and for you to claim you do not know who your God is, is tantamount to rejecting him. I was agnostic for 14 years.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Ok? Sorry but unicorns are mythical as are dragons, worldwide floods, deities who make bets (see Job), oh and talking snakes.

Jesus however is the door through which in my belief salvation is granted. Stop trying to convert the converted.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I've put on my trickster hat today.

So, who is to say there are not mythical creatures? Perhaps we simply cannot see them because we can't perceive their vibrational energy? Hmmmm????

Who is to say dimensions don't exist, barred from us I hope, so that they can exist in peace and love and escape our barbarism and penchant for hatefulness and deceit?

Perhaps, we have only just scratched the surface to the existence of what might be?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'm an Agnostic Theist with "Christian" tendencies.

There is nothing contradictory about the term "Christian Agnostic", though it may be contadictory to certain individuals perception, or interpretaion, of Chrisianity. Most Christian Agnostics practice an Agnosticism as to the properties of God. A Christian Agnostic is someone who believes: in the one all powerful God, that Jesus had a special relationship with Him and is in some way divine, that God should be worshipped, we should follow the two most important commandments. Beyond the basic tenents, love God with all your heart and your brother as yourself, they believe it is pretty much impossible to "know" anything about God.

If you want to know more about this belief system check out The Christian Agnostic by Leslie Weatherhead
edit on 27-4-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: clarity

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Well said, and agreed.

Not sure which of you I'm supposed to agree with overall, but I can entirely get behind what you've said here - I think there's a lot we don't know, haven't witness or pinned down with widely-known evidences, or otherwise opened ourselves up to acknowledging.

Additional, as to dragons, I find it telling that a lot of the accounts of dragons throughout history describe some well-known dinosaurs quite sufficiently, and to this day we still have the occasional report of dinosaur-like creatures in diverse areas (Pennsylvania, the Congo, and many many others) with the indigenous readily IDing, consistently and across various languages/cultures, the same dinos when presented drawings/dino art.

Worldwide floods? I'll consider that one very much up in the air as well, seeing as how floods have shown the ability to lay down stratification and sorting quite nicely, fossils can form quickly (and as a rule depend on flood-like or other such conditions, being quickly secreted away from atmosphere), and large geological formations can be formed in what is essentially a heartbeat as compared to gradually. The common view is that there's no evidence, but especially coupled with the global-consciousness 600+ flood myths, I think the evidence is all around...

And abaverage mentioned talking snakes, but if you dig into the language - as well as some other global consciousness mythos - Genesis doesn't really refer so much to a snake as it does a trickster, enchanter, the bright and shining, and whatever other descriptors you choose to employ.

Love the weird!

edit on 4/27/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Well I am no trickster - though I love to wear the hat whenever I feel it necessary.

No, my wisdom comes from somewhere surreal - something my mother taught me.

The truth is within thyself - never without. If you don't identify - it just plain isn't truth.

That is our gift. Intelligence. Discernment. Remembered wisdom. It's locked within our DNA.

When we begin to doubt these integral truths within ourselves, then, and only then - does darkness descend.

So our best bet is to struggle on, with everyone's best intentions at heart.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

I'm an Agnostic Theist with "Christian" tendencies.

There is nothing contradictory about the term "Christian Agnostic", though it may be contadictory to certain individuals perception, or interpretaion, of Chrisianity. Most Christian Agnostics practice an Agnosticism as to the properties of God.....If you want to know more about this belief system check out The Christian Agnostic by Leslie Weatherhead

Beautiful... perfect. I will definitely check out your source....

Why -- oh, why?! -- do people not check out these ideas?? We are so far beyond archaic understanding. Jesus was a master, a great guy......now the task is to isolate his teachings from the "chronicles of Jesus"....

Cheers!!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Your post raises points that were never relevant to this thread. I said that the New Testament is what Christians subscribe to, and mentioned only the book of Genesis as a book that an intellectually active 'Agnostic Christian' could take issue with. ETA - this is one of the examples of 'matters of faith' that Praetorious refers to at the foot of page 1

What should have been clear from my post (apologies if it was not) is that the literalist interpretation of Genesis is quite possibly a misinterpretation by people who have otherwise strong identification with the work of God through belief in the atoning sacrifice of Jesus and the gifts of the Holy Spirit, etc.

I am agnostic only in the sense that I believe there is 'more to be known' than that which is in the Bible - the fact that only one sentence in Genesis is devoted to the presence of Nefilim (some sort of alien race) on the Earth basically confirms my point. Either the author/s or the editor/s of the original scripture decided that the details of the Nefilim presence was a sort of 'need to know', or even a potentially destructive influence on the reader, and therefore very little detail is given.

I saw the testimony of a man who worked at NASA who was a Christian - he stated that he believed God wanted the modern alien/UFO presence to be known by humanity, but that those with the power to authorise disclosure had decided not to. As per my original post, a scripture comes to mind where YHWH says outright that some things are hidden, secret, and the only way for these things to be made known is to call on God directly:

Jeremiah 33:3
Amplified Bible (AMP)

3Call to Me and I will answer you and show you great and mighty things, fenced in and hidden, which you do not know (do not distinguish and recognize, have knowledge of and understand).

or an alternative translation:

Jeremiah 33:3
New International Version (NIV)

3 ‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’

edit on 27-4-2012 by FlyInTheOintment because: highlighting a point of clarification

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

read the post above this, and realise that your judgmentalism is coming from your poor understanding of me and my beliefs.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

An excellent and timely post. Couldn't have said it better myself even if I chewed over it for ages. Big star!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Nothing says there is not, but there are so many things I could argue of why the Bible especially the OLD testament is just plain out of Touch.

Ok fine...Harry Potter world blinded by witchcraft or religous ignorance...Touché

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Where's your evidence that Jesus believed in a young earth? How can we tell what he believed about certain Old Testament excerpts, seeing as he didn't overtly reference most of them? One thing that is certain is his wisdom and understanding (impressing the religious teachers as a boy) and that in his ministry as Messiah he taught in parables. Put the two together and BAM - we have a God who sometimes chooses to talk in parables. Therefore, some of the Biblical record may well be written in parable form.

I won't argue the 'old earth vs. young earth' argument, as the conclusion I've drawn cannot be shifted towards 'young earth'. Why do I believe in the fossil record and (generally) with the geological records? Because God is not the author of confusion, and if fossils/ the materials of our planet are somehow designed to look old, then only God would have the power to do so. Satan couldn't be credited with that much power - he is a prince of the air / ether, and not a physical being able to exert power over the physical matter in the Universe (except when acting through human beings).

Basically - as God is not the author of confusion, He wouldn't seek to confuse us with trickery in the fossil/ geological record. Et-cetera.
edit on 27-4-2012 by FlyInTheOintment because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Exactly because there is no transitional forms in the fossil records hence evolution is a fraud. Jesus did believe in a Young earth since he created it and I think he knows how old the earth is. I also have evidence to prove this but you wouldn't believe me anyway so...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Absolutely would describe myself this way. My religion is a religion not a substitution for science. If god exists, he's obviously a mysterious, ontologicallly distinct being. I believe in Jesus Christ but to say that the bible contains all knowledge about the universe is foolish. It doesn't even contain all knowledge about god.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

It doesn't even contain an accurate description of god, as far as it tries.

At least, not accurate enough to give us a clear understanding today, should we rely solely upon the Bible.

If you read my previous posts, you will find a more in-depth explanation of my views towards the Bible and religion.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Mark 10:6-Jesus talking, and he would know because he was alive and in heaven at the time.

But ‘God made them male and female’ from the beginning of creation

I think it's very hard to be a christian agnostic, it's more like a fuzzy spirituality.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

My post raises points that were relevant to one user in particular, hence the reason I put it in a reply specifically to her. She herself admits I make a good argument, so I don't see your problem.

With that said, I agree with everything else you say in your post. The only issue I have is exactly how one "calls" upon God. And for that matter, what IS god exactly, that you may know how to "call" upon Him/Her/It?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Hard compared to what? Christianity?

So you find it easy to believe in things like the atonement, Jesus' resurrection, virgin birth, everything created in seven days, etc, etc, etc? That every word of the bible is "God Breathed" even though there was no such thing as the bible when those words were written?

It's so interesting the various things different people find difficulty believing in.
edit on 28-4-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: add

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
If you don't understand something in the Bible, believe it anyway. Who are you to condemn God's word, and exalt the philosophies of men?

(Isaiah 55:8) "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD."

(Proverbs 3:5) "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

(1 Corinthians 14:33) "For God is not the author of confusion.."

(2 Peter 1:20-21) "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.."
edit on 28-4-2012 by netgamer7k because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join