It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone here believe they are a sort of Christian Agnostic?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by netgamer7k

Exactly my point. You first must believe that the entire bible is "God's Word", and not the philosophies of men. I for one find this quite difficult. Who are you to make the claim that the bible is "God's Word", and condemn the words of those who are inspired by God to question what is spoon fed to them?

edit on 28-4-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: add

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

edit on 28-4-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I was raised Christian.
Until about the age of 8 when I started to question things that just didn't sound right to me.
Even at that age I could tell that what I was being told was not matching up with what I was feeling inside and with what I was seeing in my mind.

The minute I started to ask hard questions, I was no longer allowed in Sunday school.

My relationship with God since then has grown a lot. I found that I had to walk alone with the creator because the message I was getting was nothing like what the church was teaching, at least not a lot of it. The bottom lines are still there, the morals are still there, but the fear of eternal damnation is not. That is not the God I know.

I think everyone should have a very personal relationship with God. You can pull a lot out of the bible, but do you actually use what you read? Do you actually look for answers within? Do you test?

The fruits of your labors is what tells me who you are.

God made me who I am, and my relationship with God is a very hands on thing.
I sometimes work directly with the spirit world,
and there is nothing evil about it. People don't understand what it means to be able to communicate with the other side, they don't understand what it is someone like me does.
Believe it or not, it is the work of spirit,
and God is not only ok with that, it is encouraged to stop the pain and suffering of others on a level that most people can not do.

Personally, I don't think the creator is very happy with Christianity anymore. The meaning have been lost,misinterpreted, used and abused to control the masses.

I have been told before that I have an Agnostic view, but I don't know if that is the case. I have my view that I got from personal experience working with the spirit world, which will no doubt make a lot of Christians stop immediately and try to tell me that I am under the influence of the devil.

Instead of blind faith, I had to experience for myself so that I would KNOW what is true and what is man's creations. Discernment is a gift.

It breaks my heart to know that I cannot walk into a church and be myself.
You see, I know God is real, and loves each and every one of us for who we are as a unique part of the creator.

People need to look more into their own hearts and see what is there. I don't think enough people do.

Sorry if I went off on a tangent, it just bums me out sometimes when people think there is only one way to God, when I know for myself, through personal experience, that it is not true.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

The warping of the truth was necessary.

Do you bother to explain algebra to your 5 year old? No? Why not? Because their mind is too simple to grasp the mechanics of such complicated concepts. They would rather ride their tricycle than focus on things that give them headaches. It's a natural response.

The same with the Bible. They tried to explain the science in simple terms...failing that, they made up a bunch of stuff that got across the bones of their messages, and that sufficed for the age. The unfortunate side effect was, everyone became attached to it, and no body wanted to change it to suit the age. That would mean admitting that the first version was a lie, and then everything would go BOOM! Because mankind is a stupid species, despite the ability to build planes and computers. We have absolutely no common sense when it comes to coexistence. And so we were forced to stick with the old version of the Bible, otherwise we would have gone crazy and reverted to cavemen or whatever.

It was necessary...but now, we must hope we have the strength to make the transition...otherwise, we will go no further. Progress will be lost forever. We will remain the lowly, incompetent Homo Sapiens...and we will (I hope) eventually die out.

Why would I hope for our species to die out? Because if we don't, everything else will. There will be no more natural births, only natural deaths (if that). Everything will be man-made, man-engineered, or man-produced. There will be no such thing as nature...because our current version of progress means we have to control everything, and controlling everything is producing or guiding it according to our standards and desires...

And if one thing is absolutely clear, it's that we don't want what's healthy for us. We never have.
edit on CSaturdaypm232344f44America/Chicago28 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I am agnostic in that I don't know if there is a God, or if Jesus is my lord and savior. I do know that I agree with the teachings of Jesus, and try to live my life according to those teachings, because they make sense to me. Does that make me a Christian Agnostic? Why does one have to accept Jesus as your lord and savior to be a Christian? I don't think Jesus really demanded that. I know there is that scripture that says something like "I am the way and the only way to heaven is through me", but to me that means that his way was his teachings on how to live your life. If you live your life according to those teachings, you are living a Christ-like, or Christian life.

It seems like traditional Christians are more obsessed with the whole worshiping of Jesus as lord and savior over living a Christ-like life. I think Jesus would do a major face palm at this. I think He would say, "you've missed my point entirely. I would much prefer you just live your life as I have told you, rather then to worship me as your lord and savior." Just my opinion anyway.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I don't know if it was necessary as much as it just is what it is.

From my point of view, mankind in general as a species is capable of both great good and great evil. There is nothing supernatural about it, it is just the way this planet has shaped us. We now stand at a point where all of our collected knowledge can be read and examined by anyone, and I hope that people look and search all of these different aspects of life, because right now every single one of us is recording and learning in a way the species never has been able to before, this is uncharted territory for human beings and it has happened in a very short span of time. We are here to witness something GRAND, and we are, we just don't realize it for the most part.

Kind of like how I see evolution, to me, it is perfection in motion, always changing to meet the situation in a perfect harmony and evolving. Is that not what everyone claims "god" is? Perfect? I see no conflict between science and spirit in this matter, they both agree.

As to what God is, now that I don't know.

I only know that there is a higher intelligence at work, but it seems to be wrapped in layers and layers of reality and multiple layers of existence and vibration.

I see God as everywhere and in everything experiencing itself in all of it's aspects.

Maybe I am just crazy though, that is not for me to judge, only for God.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I'd like to invite everyone who participated in this thread to read my new one, linked below.

I had a terrifying/amazing experience of OOBEs and dreams last night, very much related to the kind of thoughts I was trying to get across in this thread - and btw, I accept that by creating this 'Christian Agnostic' thread, along with my thread on 'Christianity: The only way to Heaven?', all I seem to have done is to stir up division and sow doubts/ confusion, all the while suffering from much greater confusion in my own life...

Still - last night has completely refreshed my outlook on life, so I invite y'all to take a look:

OOBE/ Dream experience. Motto: Never give up...!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by netgamer7k

The last point about no scripture being of private interpretation - that is fair, but to counter slightly I would hesitate to say that some scriptures are skimmed over/ not investigated in the correct way by the overwhelming majority of Christians.

I had an experience last night that completely blew me away, and all day today I've had a sense of His presence like never before - God is awesome, and that is the understatement of forever. You can read about the experience I had in the thread I made (if it interests you) - I linked it in the post above this one.

All the best

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Yup, I grew up Christian, noticed a lot of inconsistencies between what I was told and what I read in the Bible and experienced myself, began to lose faith, then noticed it was the people who were actually not practicing the religion correctly, not the religion itself that is causing all the problems, so now I've had the wonderful opportunity to look atit again from a new perspective, and now I accept it as a good religion, but not the only good one.

See, it doesn't matter what religion you practice really. It just matters how you perceive it and what you do. No two people really follow the same religion. We each have our own. You could have a church full of "Christians", but some of them hate gays with a passion, others believe gays can go to heaven, some give exactly 10% of their income to the church, and some give nothing, and some give a whole lot of extra money hoping to look good in front of everyone. Some believe Christmas was Jesus' birthday, some are very judgemental towards others, while some believe that judging others is God's job and that to attempt to do God's job for him is, in essence, saying that God is not needed....some pray on a schedule every day at a certain place at a certain time and a certain prayer, some don't pray at all, some do quietly inside their head, some speak aloud even if they are all alone in the house, some just make up their prayers as they go, some read from a prayer book, some pray about things that directly effect them and their friends and family or community, some pray mainly for those suffering the most across the world and don't really mention their own problems, others do a little of both, zone just thank Him for the food...

So, there are obviously many other examples, but, as you can see, nobody practices religion the same. They may agree on some things. But does that make it the exact same religion? I dunno... Churches have split into seperate beliefs over a lot of different things... I don't see how arguing over whether or not Jesus was a man or a god has anything to do with how we conduct ourselves in life.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

I'm an evolutionary Christian mystic myself, which generates a rather vast domain of exploration in terms of knowledge and experience.

Everything's all about our psychological and spiritual growth and well being, and the death/resurrection of Jesus points also to an evolutionary process of radical transformation.

Conservative fundamentalist-literalist evangelical American-style Christianity I don't think has much in common with Jesus or what he had in mind and intended for us, or for him in his relationship with us. He had something much much more extraordinary and liberating and transformative in mind, imho.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join