It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boss Asks Employee for Kidney, Then Fires Her After Donor Surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
A Long Island woman claims she was fired from her job at a West Islip car dealership after donating a kidney so that her ailing boss could move up the donor transplant list, the New York Post reported.

Debbie Stevens, 47, filed a legal complaint with the Human Rights Commission of New York alleging that her boss Jackie Brucia, 61, used her for a kidney donation and then fired her from the Atlantic Auto Group where they both worked, The New York Post reports.

Story

Simply wow.
Boss: I need a kidney, can you help me?
Employee: sure have one of mine
Boss: Thanks and youre fired

Things like this make me utterly sick to my stomach, here her employee donates a kidney and while recovering from surgery, her boss has her demoted then eventually fired. Utterly sick, what kind of person does this kind of thing???
I tell ya what, I wouldnt even donate blood to an ingrate like that.

Coincidentally, I'm from that area of Long Island, its a huge car dealership they work at

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I heard about this a few minutes ago on the radio. How crazy is that?

I heard that the lady turned out not to be such a good match, but donated her kidney anyway, so her boss
could move up on the waiting list. They said she thinks the only reason she was hired was to get her kidney,
and once she gave it, her boss didn't need her anymore and fired her.

edit on 26-4-2012 by virraszto because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Because her boss is sick and probably going to die without that kidney. People will do all sorts of low down dirty stuff to stay alive and this is just another example of that.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Im fired? Ok...

Can I have my Kidney back?

No?

::pulls plug on machine keeping her alive::

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Guess we will see how this plays out.

If this woman donated a kidney for her boss,she is not so bright.
But she did help save someone else.

But,still,I'm thinking something is amiss here.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

The guy is an evil jerk obviously but who would give their kidney to their boss? I mean a loved one ok, but your boss?

What was she thinking?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by virraszto

Because her boss is sick and probably going to die without that kidney. People will do all sorts of low down dirty stuff to stay alive and this is just another example of that.

You're right about that, but people also do low down dirty stuff everyday for no reason at all. I'm losing faith that there are good, decent people left anymore. I myself have been screwed over by people I'd never imagine could be dirty and rotten to the core.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Proving one has at least a 3 digit IQ (assuming one is alive at the time) should be a prerequisite to donating an organ.

In any case, I think there are key pieces of this story that have not been brought to light.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I do this all the time. No big deal.

Plus if a worker is not complying or difficult, then termination is in order, kidney or no kidney.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
I heard about this a few minutes ago on the radio. How crazy is that?

I heard that the lady turned out not to be such a good match, but donated her kidney anyway, so her boss
could move up on the waiting list. Either way, how could her boss fire her?

Quite likely her boss is a psychopath.. They are actually fairly common in business. You'll be more apt to find them in a board room than a prison oddly enough.

Bad bosses: The Psycho-path to Success?

Psychopaths -- narcissists guided without conscience, who mimic rather than feel real emotions -- bring to mind serial killers such as Ted Bundy or fictional murderers such as Hannibal Lecter or "Dexter," the anti-hero of the popular Showtime TV series. But psychologists say most psychopaths are not behind bars -- and at least one study shows people with psychopathic tendencies are four times more likely to be found in senior management.

Think your boss is an unfeeling jerk who only cares for himself? You may be right.. and that may be what got him there..

But why is that? Why do psychopaths succeed in business?

One advantage psychopaths have is they are not swimming in the sea of emotions that color and guide most of our decision-making. "Psychopaths are great bullies," said Boddy, author of the book, "Corporate Psychopaths: Organizational Destroyers."

"They are cunning and manipulative, and great at engineering situations. Although they don't have emotions themselves, they can create emotional situations," Boddy said. "The rest of us don't even realize we're being manipulated until it's too late."

Here is another good read on it..

Psycopaths in the Boardroom - PDF

A summary from that..

Leadership qualities are very similar to psychopathic behaviour traits

Psychopathy is three times more common in senior executives than in the wider population

A psychopathic leader can be extremely effective – as long as their self interest is aligned with
the wider organisation

However, their brain chemistry prevents them from assessing risk effectively and this can lead
to value-destroying mistake

This lady's boss is displaying some classic traits of a psychopath boss.

The boss manipulated the lady to get what she wanted (a kidney). When it was done - she fired her on impulse. She clearly feels nothing about it however she didn't calculate the risk of her actions. So, now the is all kinds of bad press.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
There...There just has to be something missing from this story it is simply unbelievable that something of this magnitude could happen. Someone please tell me that the article to which I am reading is not something that is really happening and no human being would plot to do such a thing..

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
And the problem is...??

Capitalism is awesome at times isn't it. Things on this level or worse are commonplace in the third world countries that make our toys. But as long as we get our kidneys...metaphorically speaking.

Probably is more to the story as the end of the article eludes to however.
edit on 4/26/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

edit on 4/26/2012 by Turq1 because: dp

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
here's more to the story:
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
My boss would have to be a pretty tight friend for me to donate a kidney.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
That co-called 'boss' is a disgusting human being. I can not think of any label more befitting of her.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
How do we know she wasn't doing a little manipulation herself? I'm not trying to blame the victim, but we don't have all the facts here.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Can't say that I am surprised. The auto sales business is cut-throat, and employees move in and out there like people change their underway. I know from past experience. It is the revolving door. Have a slow month and you get the door. Rub somebody the wrong way and you get the door. Not part of the click or on the same page as the chosen few and you get the door.

For me personally, I would not get too comfortable in that line of work whether working on the sales side, service, or administrative, because people get fired all the time for a whole myriad of reasons. The lady should not have given the kidney, and especially to an owner of a car dealership. They may appear refined by giving to charity and wearing a nice business suit, but in the back office they talk from the side of their mouths and conduct themselves like the stiffs prowling the lot.

new topics

top topics

join