It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima is falling apart: are you ready?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drew99GT

is that the spent fuel, which is millions of times more radioactive than new fuel, is stored ABOVE the reactor core in cooling pools.

Why is spent fuel millions of times more radioactive than new fuel? I would have expected the absolute opposite. Radiation is energy that dissipates over time? Sure it might take thousands/millions of years to totally decay, BUT how is what you are saying possible?

Reactor 4 building is heavily damaged and is now leaning over. Experts fear that if another moderate Earthquake occurs (which is likely), the building "could" collapse and the spend fuel would be exposed to the environment. The result would be a catastrophic fire and release of radiation (mostly cesium 137) into the environment, and the other spent fuel on site, espeically at the common storage pool, would also ignite and expel massive radiation. Potentially 85 times the amount released at Chernobyl.

And after 1 year of fighting reactor 4 they have zero contigency plans for all those spent fuel rods in a collapsing building? What exactly were the experts thinking about, if not the most important things?

Sleep tight!

I don't think anyone outside the great pyramid of deception has been sleeping good the last 3 years. The ptb have taken stupidity to astronomical levels and people should not only fear about their death, but also the destruction of the entire ecosystem.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Another interesting article I just found....Published: April 23rd, 2012 at 10:25 pm ET

Fukushima Daini, 2F as they call, is very mysterious. Something must have happened there.

2F [Daini] is that contaminated.

There are 4 reactors in 2F [Daini] and all of them stopped. Coolant system is properly working and the temperature is stable, but it’s only reactor 4 to have been recovered. Collecting comments of subcontract companies, I asked about the contamination situation to Tepco workers. They turned to be helpless.

“Yes, true.. I wonder why it’s so contaminated. The operation floor on the top and concrete shielding plug are unbelievably contaminated. Water is even in pedestal (= The room under pressure vissel [sic]).”

A retired employee of an electric company said, “If water is in pedestal, it means pressure vessel had excessive pressure. Control rod or pipes are severely damaged. The bottom of the reactor is broken through. Like Fukushima Dai ichi, it is rational to think there was a hydrogen explosion.”

Toshiba planned to enter reactor 3 it the end of December, but they didn’t.

After Hitachi went into reactor 4 in the end of August, the rumor spread that reactor may have exploded.

Media tried to report but they couldn’t confirm.

Only few plant workers know the current situation. 2F [Daini] looks normal but subcontract companies to work around the vessel all say it’s suspicious.

enenews.com...

Bottom of Daini reactor may be ‘broken through’ — Rumors of possible explosion, not sure what all that means but I think it shows some more confirmation things are getting worse - this is the latest news I can find on it.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Well if you don't live close by, it's just the dead part of the world. If you pay it no attention it will probably go away...

www.youtube.com...

After all, it's not in my back yard, it's not my problem, let 'those guys' cover it up with dirt or something. Don't bring me down all the time, I prefer watching America's got Talent or going to Hooters or Pizza Hut. Stop telling me all that stuff, I got my own problems, my contract for my cell phone's almost up and I was thinking of getting the new **** and I just cant figure which plan is the best, I don't want to get screwed, you know how cell phone companies are. I'm also trying to figure out where to get those tennies I saw on 'OMG' on Yahoo the other day. Don't bring me down with all that negative stuff, it's no problem of mine. I wann'a get 'Rhianna ' tickets, but I want the first three rows, don't want to have to get 'nosebleed' seats in the clouds. Dang, I'v got enough to worry about, forget that japenheimer whats'it over 'there'. IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM, so stop already. I'm also wanting to test drive one of those Fiats, like Beyonce was in, their so cute, I could just see me in one, couldn't you...! Awesome. What color of nail polish do you like, don't worry you can tell me the truth. Do these pants make my butt look ........................

Sarcasm.........folks

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

XtraTL, As the Chem Plant was located in the Nuclear Complex, I do not see this being off topic. I am really surprised that you think everything is fine and dandy over there.

Following up this article..Chemical Complex is on fire with nuclear fuel in Yamaguchi The complex owner, Mitsui chemicals hold 71.1 tones of depleted uranium.

Point A is where the explosion happened. The place surrounded by the red line is assumed to hold depleted uranium. (The lower one)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
They need to burry it like
michio kaku said over a year
ago...These reacters have the
potential to destroy the entire planet.
Put it under 50 ft of concret and rebar..

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

launch it into space towards the sun? but if then if the rocket explodes there that will be a serious problem..

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Obviously and they should have already done this. This affects the world so the world needs to jump up and contribute to the project.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Concrete alone will probably not get the job done. Why not dump lots of lead and/or other heavy metal buffers FIRST and then the concrete. Pretty much sealing everything shut once and for all.

The russians did a lousy job with the result being hundreds of thousands soldiers dying from poisoning and cancer due to radiation exposure, while allowing for leakage from weak points into the black sea, aegean and mediterranean thus killing the ecosystem slowely.

We have hundreds of nuclear powerplants scattered throughout the globe, YET we are too stupid to think of the potential consequences of things going wrong? And why in the world would someone build a nuclear powerplant next to the pacific ocean and on a fault zone?

I say lets fix this problem and then BAN all nuclear energy till further progress is made OR important classified stuff that can solve problems finally gets revealed. I am sorry but I don't trust any government for anything...much less nuclear energy!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
several folks here have posted statements about how impressive nuclear power is. It is nothing more then a STEAM GENERATOR! It isn't impressive at all if this is all it does - make hot water. It does not actually generate electrons, it makes steam. Oh, wait, hold the phone, the byproducts makes weapons to kill masses of people at once. On second thought it is very impressive.

We've had a planetary nuclear war and not one bomb was dropped.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Still wondering what happens to Fluoride when it comes into contact with radiation, I've done some digging.
www.ahealedplanet.net...

The situation was so skewed that the Program F scientists published a 1948 paper that ran in the Journal of the American Dental Association, describing the health effects on humans. Griffiths and Bryson obtained the original report, now declassified, and found that the Atomic Energy Commission censored the harmful health effects that were documented. The censorship was so severe it was funny, in a sick way. Griffiths and Bryson wrote:

“This was a study of the dental and physical health of workers in a factory producing fluoride for the A-bomb program, conducted by a team of dentists from the Manhattan Project. The secret version reports that most of the men had no teeth left. The published version reports only that the men had fewer cavities. The secret version says the men had to wear rubber boots because the fluoride fumes disintegrated the nails in their shoes. The published version does not mention this. The secret version says the fluoride may have acted similarly on the men's teeth, contributing to their toothlessness. The published version omits this statement. The published version concludes that ‘the men were unusually healthy, judged from both a medical and dental point of view.’"

Animals avoided the facility where the hydrogen fluoride was used. All microorganisms were killed, so food left in the facility would never decay. The hydrogen fluoride etched the facility’s windows and the workers' glasses, so they needed to be continually replaced. The workers also developed lesions and a type of “sunburn” from working there. Nearby elementary schools had their windows etched from hydrogen fluoride releases.

So, Fluoride and radiation go way back to the Manhattan Project. So, what can we suspect will happen when radioactive isotopes get into the fluoridated water systems in the US? Nothing good.

Hodge was dead when Griffiths and Bryson discovered the damning declassified documents, but Ast was still alive and was named in the documents as active in the nuclear establishment's damage-control efforts. Ast oversaw the Newburgh New York fluoridation experiment. Griffiths and Bryson confronted Ast with the declassified documents' revelations. Ast pulled a Ronald Reagan, claiming no recollection of those activities.

There were major studies performed by the government on fluorine during those World War II days and shortly thereafter. With the exception of the recently declassified version of the report published in JADA in 1948, the others are still classified, despite significant efforts by Griffiths and Bryson to get them declassified using the Freedom of Information Act. One entire area of study still classified is that regarding the effects of fluorine on the central nervous system. Recently declassified memos show that on April 29, 1944, Colonel Warren approved a Central Nervous System (CNS) research proposal. Hodge wrote the proposal. The memo accompanying the proposal said:

"Clinical evidence suggests that (uranium hexafluoride) may have a rather marked central nervous system effect with mental confusion, drowsiness and lassitude as the conspicuous features. It seems most likely that the F [code for fluoride] component rather than the T [code for uranium] is the causative factor."[46]

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Concrete alone will probably not get the job done. Why not dump lots of lead and/or other heavy metal buffers FIRST and then the concrete. Pretty much sealing everything shut once and for all.

The russians did a lousy job with the result being hundreds of thousands soldiers dying from poisoning and cancer due to radiation exposure, while allowing for leakage from weak points into the black sea, aegean and mediterranean thus killing the ecosystem slowely.

We have hundreds of nuclear powerplants scattered throughout the globe, YET we are too stupid to think of the potential consequences of things going wrong? And why in the world would someone build a nuclear powerplant next to the pacific ocean and on a fault zone?

I say lets fix this problem and then BAN all nuclear energy till further progress is made OR important classified stuff that can solve problems finally gets revealed. I am sorry but I don't trust any government for anything...much less nuclear energy!

Something came to mind...... if it still in fact exists in some Government stockpile or in secret.

The other day ATS had a thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So pour this, then concrete, more of this, then lead and cover with concrete then dirt and what ever the last things used to cover such radioactive problems. I think it melting into the ground water is also an immediate problem to address as well. we got problems, 'the whole world' and they are not going away.......

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IanPaul

I suppose that these nuclear waste ships will find their way to a habitable planet and wind up destroying all life on it. Maybe we should send a couple of Rock and Roll CD's along with it. Alice Coopers "Dead Baby's" would be a good choice

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Good idea, i don't really care how they do it
but they need to do it... ITS OVER TEPCO
there is no saving this, there going to have
to take the lost. However they burry that hell hole
they need to do it and do it now, before we all
get radiation sickness and die...
I don't believe all nuclear power plants
to be shut down, we need them, electricity
prices would go through the roof with out it
in most places.
edit on 24-4-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drew99GT

Originally posted by XtraTL
This thread contains the biggest load of rubbish I've seen posted on ATS.

The reactors at Fukushima are in cold shutdown, all below 70 degrees C. The radiation that is being talked about is *inside the containment vessel* making it difficult for the endoscopes and other equipment to obtain photos of the *inside* of the reactor containment vessel.

There is still radioactive water that has been leaking and they are taking measures to pour concrete into the nearby sea to prevent contamination. But measurements close to the reactor vicinity show that there is only very low levels of contamination in the nearby ocean.

The reactors no longer have the capability of releasing radioactive material off site via the atmosphere.

Now please explain how, given the containment of the problem to the site and in the occasional leak of contaminated water into the ocean that the US is is any danger whatsoever?

The thread title is absolute rubbish. Concrete nuclear reactors in cold shutdown do not "fall apart". You people are unbelievable.

That is all fine and dandy.............until reactor 4 building, which is listing heavily, falls over and the cooling pool for the spent fuel rods drains and the rods become exposed to air. If another large Earthquake occurs, it's almost inevitable that all the spent fuel at Fukushima will go up like a Roman candle. Do you not agree with that? that is wha all the experts are worried about!

Why not subject the rods to hydrogen plasma?

Transmutation?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IanPaul

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by IanPaul

They don't 'have to' do anything... I am expressing an opinion about how to get this toxic stuff off of the face of the earth. The way I see it, all of those spent fuel rods do is sit there and cool off... I don't know about you but at the rate we consume energy, it's scary to think that the amount of spent fuel rods will only increase.

Ok and run the risk of totally destroying another worlds ecosystem? Or drastically changing it? Not only that, its a possibility that they could RETURN at some point and reenter the atmosphere causing even MORE damage

This is the same line of thought that lead to the dumping of crap in the oceans...

Eventually......those chickens come home to roost...........

Ok, so let me get this straight, you would rather leave it here to wreck our ecosystem, rather than the infinitesimaly small chance of 'hitting' another planet and wrecking their "ecosystem"? First, as I just recently posted, send it to the 'north' and out of our solar system, just as we can do (like with the Voyagers); second, let's just assume we could hit another star system... The closest one is thousands of light-years away from us, meaning that since we aren't even close to attaining light speed, it would take MILLIONS of years to reach another star, and by then the material would have become inert.

I don't understand your reasoning, I mean, sure I wouldn't want to send it to one of our universe' neighbors, but come on... "let's just screw ourselves because I don't want to risk the 0.0000000000000000001% chance we might ruin some aliens day"... That's the way that argument reads to me.

Actually sending them into the sun (which has been suggested in the past) would be completely harmless to the sun as it is a large thermo-nuclear unit in itself!
That has been suggested in the past.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Aye aye aye, it seems like the dominos have begun to drop... Scary future we're facing, I hope we (the world) can recover....Unfortunately, I have zero confidence in ALL the world govt's to fix this, and all the other environmental issues we see today...
edit on 24-4-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ototheb85
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

launch it into space towards the sun? but if then if the rocket explodes there that will be a serious problem..

The idea sounds great but factor in the amount of radioactive spent fuel and the many trips taken to space to launch it at the sun could be very expensive and the chance of an upper atmosphere accident/explosion could mean the spreading of more radioactive material. There's also the chance we piss off some other alien races or ruin another planet too.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Bury it in gold. Pour moulten gold on it.
Just throwing it out there.
Throw everything on it you fox.

edit on 24-4-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Why is spent fuel millions of times more radioactive than new fuel? I would have expected the absolute opposite. Radiation is energy that dissipates over time? Sure it might take thousands/millions of years to totally decay, BUT how is what you are saying possible?

I'm not a nuclear physicists; I have no clue, but apparently the spent fuel is infinitely more dangerous than new fuel.

Irradiated nuclear fuel rods discharged from commercial nuclear power plants are highly radioactive, a million times more so than when they were first loaded into a reactor core as “fresh” fuel.

hu1st.blogspot.com...

And after 1 year of fighting reactor 4 they have zero contigency plans for all those spent fuel rods in a collapsing building? What exactly were the experts thinking about, if not the most important things?

Why think about all those bad things when they can rake in all the profits and not deal with potential catastrophes or environmental costs? Seems to be standard operating procedure for most multi-national corporations. That's what you get when these companies buy governments. Everyone is screaming: "why don't governments do something about this catastrophe!" Because the companies/TEPCO IS the government.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Drew99GT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Bury it in gold. Pour molten gold on it.

It would be interesting to see how many people go there after the gold is poured to risk their lives to steal some gold.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join