Fukushima is falling apart: are you ready?

page: 14
252
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

log in

join

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Are you people insane, or just plain Ignorant?


1 mole of 238U emits 3×10^6 alpha particles per second...

...Around 99.284% of natural uranium is uranium-238

en.wikipedia.org...


while the oceans may contain 10^13 kg (2×10^13 lb).

en.wikipedia.org...

10,000,000,000,000 kilograms of Uranium occurs naturally in the oceans.

One mole of Uranium 238 is 238 grams... Or, approximately one fourth of a kilogram

This means that the Oceans release... GET READY FOR THIS...

120,000,000,000,000,000,000 Becquerel per second.

Yes, you read that right... that's 120 QUINTILLION Becquerels.

Stop fear-mongering you ignorant peasants.

"Oh No, It's going to end the world!!!!"

No it's not... Grow up.




posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
reply to post by doobydoll
 


one fuel rod could kill a billion people assuming the radioactive isotypes contained within it were spread in an even dosage among people,

This is being blown out of proportion,

This will not be the demise of humanity as we know it


If there was only one that would be great, (well not great but better) the problem is that it's not just one there's thousand of spent fuel rod there.



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl
 


Well in that case I like the previous posters idea of sending them all into space,

Cmon, we launch pointless satellites and rockets and other stupid crap into space daily, why can't we send some fuel rods away to save humanity?

TPTB never cease to amaze me.....



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

The average human body has 4400 becquerels from decaying potassium-40, which is a naturally-occurring isotope of potassium.

en.wikipedia.org...

You live in radiation, all day, every day, since CONCEPTION till death.

Deal with it like Adults, please.
edit on 24-4-2012 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

You will find out as well that mutations caused by radiation take generations to appear and that to imply otherwise is an insult to the reader. Even at nuclear weapon test sites it took generations, even though the exposure was many magnitudes higher.

Over 180 flags. Doesn't anyone here care about factual information anymore?
edit on 4/24/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)


You are a disgraceful liar. Shame on you!

Birth defects caused by depleted uranium shells (US military) in Irag. Very graphic pictures!!!

viewzone2.com...



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia
 


I was waiting for someone more intelligent than myself to come along and put this thread in place....

Thank you.

This is what I was trying to get at with my post,

You just articulated what I couldn't

God bless



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JudgeDredd
reply to post by doobydoll
 


Why can't they encase these rods in say concrete/lead tow them out to sea and sink them directly above a subduction zone, where they would be sucked under and taken back deep inside the mantle?? Is this possible or a bad idea???


I haven't got past your post yet so I don't know if anyone answered you.

The issue with mobility is that the nuclear material in question cannot be 'captured' or moved after it exceeds a specific temperature. Even after it is cooled sufficiently if containment was breached than the surrounding area where the molten corium was located will be extremely contaminated. Getting close to the cooled corium residue could prove exceptionally difficult.

Here at the wiki for Corium, they go into detail about known reactions between various materials and molten nuclear material.

Also here is a list of metal melting points.
Engineeringtoolbox

Molten nuclear material can exceed 4000 degrees F, which is easily enough to penetrate through just about any type of conventional containment chamber we can devise.

In fact many people suspect and speculate that some or all of the meltdown events at Fukushima actually sank down into the bedrock underneath the plant complex's foundation. Considering the type of chaos that went down at that facility right after the incident, I wouldn't be surprised if several cores slipped outta their grasp and into the ground.



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia

The average human body has 4400 becquerels from decaying potassium-40, which is a naturally-occurring isotope of potassium.

en.wikipedia.org...

You live in radiation, all day, every day, since CONCEPTION till death.

Deal with it like Adults, please.
edit on 24-4-2012 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)


Is this what naturally occurring radiation does to people...


Birth defects of late from American DU shelling in Iraq

There is a difference from natural radiation and human made, natural radiation doesn't leave you looking like this poor child.

viewzone2.com...
edit on 24-4-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl
 


Think about this.

We can build robots that can withstand cosmic radiation in outer space, they are part of all of our spacecraft.

We can build a machine that can get close to Jupiter and send back photos through the intense radiation around that planet.

But we can't get a robot into the reactor room of a melt down?

This should explain to you the difficulty of the type of situation we are dealing with.
It's easier to visit the bottom of the Mariana Trench or the moons of Jupiter.
edit on 24-4-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
reply to post by PageAlaCearl
 


Well in that case I like the previous posters idea of sending them all into space,

Cmon, we launch pointless satellites and rockets and other stupid crap into space daily, why can't we send some fuel rods away to save humanity?

TPTB never cease to amaze me.....


How risky do you think that might be. One problem and you are raining radioactive waste from the sky. Would you want to be the one who launched that little catastrophe plus this stuff is heavy - very heavy -- how many launches will that take. There are no simple solutions to this.



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl
 



Is this what naturally occurring radiation does to people...


Occasionally, yes....

You don't seem to know how radiation works, so I'll go ahead and ENLIGHTEN you.

Radiation's danger is much like that of water.

A little bit is barely a problem... a LOT of it can kill you.

But you can STILL drown in a bucket or cup of water, if you are unlucky.

Naturally occuring radiation is not different from "Artificial" radiation in one single aspect... it's all the same stuff.

Literally.

The only thing that you have to worry about in regards to radiation, and it's dangers, is the CONCENTRATION, and your PROXIMITY to those large concentrations.

That's it.


There is a difference from natural radiation and human made, natural radiation doesn't leave you looking like this poor child.


And this is why you are ignorant.

There IS No difference between naturally occurring radiation, and man-made radiation, because ALL of the isotopes that we use in our "Devices" is stuff that we dug out of the ground... stuff that was ALREADY THERE.

Stuff that was Naturally Occurring.

The ONLY thing that humans do, is to concentrate it.

You ignorant people believe that radiation is a form of MAGIC.... and that is why I am laughing at your feeble attempts to fear monger.

Because Radiation isn't a Magical cloud of evil that sucks the souls out of children...

It is a natural force, that obeys very strict and observed laws that science has codified and discovered.

it's not a freaking mystery.... unless you are IGNORANT.



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550
 


Very risky,

I don't know, and I'm not gonna try and act like I know,

This is a problem WAY above my pay grade!




posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Iason321
 


Well, the whole thing about launching our spent fuel rods into space, is that it's darned near impossible, and not to mention, economically unfeasable.

Current launch prices are somewhere near $3,000 to $15,000 ... PER KILOGRAM.

And keep in mind, this is for surface to *ORBIT*, not escape velocity, mind you... just to orbit.

Sending them out of the earth's gravity well would be much more expensive.

So.... really, it's not actually a feasible thing to do.



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
reply to post by PageAlaCearl
 



Is this what naturally occurring radiation does to people...


Occasionally, yes....

You don't seem to know how radiation works, so I'll go ahead and ENLIGHTEN you.

Radiation's danger is much like that of water.

A little bit is barely a problem... a LOT of it can kill you.

But you can STILL drown in a bucket or cup of water, if you are unlucky.

Naturally occuring radiation is not different from "Artificial" radiation in one single aspect... it's all the same stuff.

Literally.

The only thing that you have to worry about in regards to radiation, and it's dangers, is the CONCENTRATION, and your PROXIMITY to those large concentrations.

That's it.


There is a difference from natural radiation and human made, natural radiation doesn't leave you looking like this poor child.


And this is why you are ignorant.

There IS No difference between naturally occurring radiation, and man-made radiation, because ALL of the isotopes that we use in our "Devices" is stuff that we dug out of the ground... stuff that was ALREADY THERE.

Stuff that was Naturally Occurring.

The ONLY thing that humans do, is to concentrate it.

You ignorant people believe that radiation is a form of MAGIC.... and that is why I am laughing at your feeble attempts to fear monger.

Because Radiation isn't a Magical cloud of evil that sucks the souls out of children...

It is a natural force, that obeys very strict and observed laws that science has codified and discovered.

it's not a freaking mystery.... unless you are IGNORANT.


Thanks for the attack, I've actually had radiation treatment for cancer - I've threw up more times a day than more people do in a life time - I had an endoscope camera put down my throat to my stomach to see what looked like three scratch marks from radiation treatment that looked like claw marks - my stomach is still a mess 10 years later - not to mention all the naturally working parts of my body that were taken out from radiation like my thyroid gland. It kills everything in the human body not just the cancer, leaving you at the brink of death as they try to bring you back, great stuff, right expert.

But hey your right, I must be ignorant, and the kids that die from nuclear radiation/DU all over the world are ignorant too, right? Any time your willing to walk into the radiology center at cedar sinai and be escorted to a room a half a football field away from where the doctors and get radiation treatment that is soo natural too you, let me know how you like it.

edit on 24-4-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl
 



Thanks for the attack


Thanks for not reading a single thing I wrote.


I've actually had radiation treatment for cancer


Awwwww. You are also being hit with radioactive particles billions of times per day.


I've threw up more time a day than more people do in a life time - I had an endoscope camera put down my throat to my stomach to see what looked like three scratch marks from radiation treatment - my stomach is still a mess 10 years later - not to mention all the naturally working parts of my body that were taken out from radiation like my thyroid gland.


I'm glad that you feel this way, but your personal anicdote neither refutes my statements, nor produces a POINT of your own.

Nice bit of Red Herring there.


It kills everything in the human body not just the cancer


What?

Radiation, or Chemotherapy?

Do you even know what Chemotherapy is?

Seriously?


leaving you at the brink of death as they try to bring you back, great stuff.


Whatever.


But hey your right, I must be ignorant


No, not MUST... ARE....

you ARE ignorant.


and the kids that die from nuclear radiation/DU all over the world are ignorant too, right?


Of course.

Do you think they know how radiation works? Really?

That's silly.



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia
 


Did you just compare radiation to water in order to appreciate the danger level of radiation?

Ionizing radiation is dangerous because it causes molecules to fall apart by ionizing individual atoms within the molecular structure and thus breaking the chemical bonds holding it together.

Fail comparison.



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia


It kills everything in the human body not just the cancer


What?

Radiation, or Chemotherapy?

Do you even know what Chemotherapy is?

Seriously?


Seriously?

Radiation therapy's purpose is to use so much radiation that it kills the deformed cells outright.


Radiation therapy (in American English), radiation oncology, or radiotherapy (in the UK, Canada and Australia), sometimes abbreviated to XRT or DXT, is the medical use of ionizing radiation, generally as part of cancer treatment to control or kill malignant cells.


Wiki

Why would you attack people so impetuously when you don't even know what you are talking about?



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
reply to post by PageAlaCearl
 



Thanks for the attack


Thanks for not reading a single thing I wrote.


I've actually had radiation treatment for cancer


Awwwww. You are also being hit with radioactive particles billions of times per day.


I've threw up more time a day than more people do in a life time - I had an endoscope camera put down my throat to my stomach to see what looked like three scratch marks from radiation treatment - my stomach is still a mess 10 years later - not to mention all the naturally working parts of my body that were taken out from radiation like my thyroid gland.


I'm glad that you feel this way, but your personal anicdote neither refutes my statements, nor produces a POINT of your own.

Nice bit of Red Herring there.


It kills everything in the human body not just the cancer


What?

Radiation, or Chemotherapy?

Do you even know what Chemotherapy is?

Seriously?


leaving you at the brink of death as they try to bring you back, great stuff.


Whatever.


But hey your right, I must be ignorant


No, not MUST... ARE....

you ARE ignorant.


and the kids that die from nuclear radiation/DU all over the world are ignorant too, right?


Of course.

Do you think they know how radiation works? Really?

That's silly.


I had both chemo and radiation. Chemo first for 4 months and a month off and 6 months of radiation, the type of cancer I had was extremely aggressive so the attacked it with both. It wasn't a choice of the two
Do I know what chemotherapy is? Yes I had several different types of chemo - cytoxin was the worst and I had that for the longest period the doctors are allowed to administer it - I had a push chemo (vincristine) that did damage to the nerves in my right ear losing my hearing in the right ear.

Love this, from the one shooting ignorant "No, not MUST... ARE....you ARE ignorant." I see your point


edit on 24-4-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)
edit on 24-4-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash
 


Oh, it's you... so we meet again.


Did you just compare radiation to water in order to appreciate the danger level of radiation?


Yes.




Ionizing radiation is dangerous because it causes molecules to fall apart by ionizing individual atoms within the molecular structure and thus breaking the chemical bonds holding it together.


DiHydrogen Monoxide causes billions of dollars of property damage per year, and it can also cause acute forms of asphyxiation in high doses when it comes in contact with the lungs.


Fail comparison.


You wish.


Radiation therapy's purpose is to use so much radiation that it kills the deformed cells outright.


Yes, that is precicely what radiation therapy is.

It is using *SO MUCH* radiation that it KILLS the deformed CELLS outright.

unfortunately, radiation cannot distinguish between healthy cells, and damaged cells, so it basically just kills lots of cells in the path of the beam.

Which is why you get sick, because you are being bombarded with too much radiation.

Duh.


Why would you attack people so impetuously when you don't even know what you are talking about?


>Implying that I don't know what I'm talking about...




posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl
 



I had both chemo and radiation. Chemo first for 4 months and a month off and 6 months of radiation, the type of cancer I had was extremely aggressive so the attacked it with both. It wasn't a choice of the two Do I know what chemotherapy is? Yes I had several different types of chemo - cytoxin was the worst and I had that for the longest period the doctors are allowed to administer it - I had a push chemo (vincristine) that did damage to the nerves in my right ear losing my hearing in the right ear.



The most common chemotherapy agents act by killing cells that divide rapidly, one of the main properties of most cancer cells. This means that chemotherapy also harms cells that divide rapidly under normal circumstances: cells in the bone marrow, digestive tract, and hair follicles.

en.wikipedia.org...

lol... this would be the part where I call you ignorant, but it's getting old.


edit on 24-4-2012 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)





new topics
 
252
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

log in

join