It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beer makes men smarter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

Agreed!!! I come from a long line of alcoholics and I do not agree with this study. Alcohol is proven to stunt certain 'good' harmones in the body and then there's the fluoride issue.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
No

It makes men THINK they are more intelligent,,

edit on 17-4-2012 by JaneC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JaneC

Again, this really depends on a lot of factors, but I see what you mean.

I'm a funky lefty, right-brainer here. Once read that we can handle more alcohol than the average guy because of the way our brain is wired.

I have a somewhat objective means to measure this. I play those megatouch games at the bar. This whole year my scores have been relatively low, compared to when I was drinking.

I got my best scores after slamming several beers. If you talk to the regulars, they'll agree I was going a million miles an hour, and jumping from one complex topic to the next while slamming beers all night. One local claimed, "your liver synthesizes crack-coc aine, kid"

We all process it a little different

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The askmen article is a bit misleading. The study has nothing to do with IQ or knowledge, but rather to show that a couple of pints can relax/clear the brain enough to do simple problem solving tests quicker.

These involved being given three words, such as coin, quick and spoon, and coming up with a fourth word that links all three (in this case the word being silver).

Half drank the equivalent of two pints of beer before doing the tests, the rest carried them out sober.

Apparently a good nappy-nap does just as good, if not better...

University of Hertfordshire psychologist Professor Richard Wiseman said: ‘It is an interesting idea and does make sense.’

But he added that a good night’s sleep is likely to be just as beneficial.

Source

edit on 17-4-2012 by Zarniwoop because: woops

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
reply to post by JAY1980

Agreed!!! I come from a long line of alcoholics and I do not agree with this study. Alcohol is proven to stunt certain 'good' harmones in the body and then there's the fluoride issue.

One just has to live through it to understand how bad it really is. I hope everything worked out for the better in your situation. Took a long time but finally making some headway with my family. All it took was for people to start passing away from alcohol related issues to open the eyes.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I think for their next study, they should determine why beer makes women more attractive.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I've been drinking for quite a while now, and I could have told you long ago that, not only does it make you smarter, but it makes everything you say true somehow. Of course this was never tested in a laboratory, just a nonsanitized room with copious amounts of alcohol, and usually an equally inebriated friend or two.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Happy hour can wreak havoc on your manly hormones. Numerous studies have found that alcohol consumption reduces testosterone levels for up to 24 hours. It also increases cortisol and lowers growth hormone levels.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Most of the problem lies with the processing and over consumption these days. This also happens to be the case with most of the issues surrounding food. When beer was first made it was unfiltered and much lower alcohol content. It had entirely different properties in comparison with most beer today. I also would not be surprised if top beer manufacturers used water with fluoride in it. The filtration and processing results in a depleted product similar to most nutrient depleted food pushed these days. Think white bread vs. whole wheat... big difference. Like anything else it could be used properly but is largely abused. Alcohol in general is definitely not driving humanity forward and it could be said that it is holding us back.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Alot of the world's problems are solved while we were drinking, haven't you noticed? Sometimes we just can't remember the solution the next day

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I am a teetotaler, having only ever tasted alcohol once and not liking it. Beyond that is my moral objection to its consumption. I do not advocate for its abolition but definitely object to personally consuming it and being around those who have consumed enough to be considered intoxicated. Those who drink excessively are pretty dumb in my opinion, both for wanting to drink that much and then from the results of drinking that much. This study was of only 40 men and the level of alcohol consumption was very low, so it does not seem like a good study.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

The study doesn't say anything about getting intoxicated in order to boost intelligence.

The amount consumed corrosponds with responsible social drinking, not binge the drinking most of us are accustomed to. When used in moderation, the alcohol allows people to cast aside tensions and think their way through problems in a liesurely manner.

It makes you wonder if people aren't naturally wound too tight with everyday stresses and, maybe we need a little alcohol every once and a while to loosen up and let our minds function freely.

Used in excess, it definitely makes us act like fools and morons. Used in moderation and responsibly, it has the potential to help us think through problems more slowly and carefully. Its a fine line but, one well worth learning to tread.

See this thread I posted recently on the art of proper drinking: The art of Catholic drinking

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I am a Traditionalist Roman Catholic (friend of SSPX) so the Catholic view of drinking is generally known to me. It has largely been Protestants which turned teetotaler. Consider the prohibition era and the movement to prohibition. Those pushing for prohibition were the Protestant Republicans while the High Church Democrats (Lutheran/Catholic) were strongly opposed to Prohibition.

Like I said, it is an entirely personal objection to alcohol which I do not claim to be absolute or necessary for anyone else. Perhaps consumption would aid me with my poetry, as I have heard it does, but that shall likely never been attempted.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Beer Makes Men Smarter
They had to do a study to establish this
When i thought it was a given Fact

I think for their next study, they should determine why beer makes women more attractive.

In the UK its beer goggles

Cran

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by goochball
That's funny, cause I did my own study(called real life) and I found that drunk people are f'n idiots.

I agree. I'm going to have to call this "study" suspicious and a possible brainwashing tool (propaganda).

It seems as though the media is publishing this in the hopes that people buy more alcohol, which results in more accidents, more DUIs, more abuse, encourages underage drinking, and more debauchery in general.

I have nothing against having a drink now and then, but too many people use it as a crutch, to ply others (especially women), and begin to allow the alcohol to control them as time passes.
edit on 18-4-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
Alot of the world's problems are solved while we were drinking, haven't you noticed? Sometimes we just can't remember the solution the next day

I think you're confusing marijuana and alcohol.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Anybody want to become REALLY smart?
www.thedailybeast.com...
I wonder if they can ship a crate of this wine to another state or if it has to stay in the State of California?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
and it tastes great, makes women appear more attractive...

...and the drinker is invulnerable to criticism.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join