It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindergartner handcuffed, taken to police station after allegedly throwing tantrum

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

However my brothers were know to shoot their arrows through the neighbors laundry,

I'm 38, and that still sounds almost irresistable! If you are outside, with a bow and arrow, and there is some laundry blowing nearby......... how could anyone resist that!?!?!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Everyone who says this is child abuse needs to wake up. This is not the 60's,70's, or 80's whenever you grew up. Parents are not responsible for the kids anymore and kids are nothing more than little teenagers now. The kid needed to learn some discipline and hopefully they did. Or it sounds like the kid will be arrested again for some domestic problem in 10 years anyways.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

The family of a 6-year-old Georgia girl is upset at police and school officials after the girl was handcuffed and taken to a police station for allegedly throwing furniture, tearing items off the walls and knocking over a shelf, which injured the principal.

Police defended their actions

"Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

and claimed the girl was shaken up by being put in a holding cell.

usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

This is not the first time an incident like this has occurred.

This is child abuse, plain and simple. Handcuffing a 6 year old child.

Child Abuse. Wake up.

This is America in the year 2012. Americans should be ashamed of themselves for allowing behaviour like this from police.

Everyday its something new, a new low.

How pathetic is society to sit in silence and allow this behaviour by police to continue?

I think there's something wrong with the Education system in the USA, and I don't mean kindergarten, I'm referring to the teachers and the cops, and probably half the population. This kind of thing can only happen in the midst of very dumbed down adults.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You sound to me like a solid parent, and the school your kid attends sounds like they got it figured out aswell. Watch out what you say about popping your kid on the butt though, some people see it as abuse...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

You sound to me like a solid parent, and the school your kid attends sounds like they got it figured out aswell. Watch out what you say about popping your kid on the butt though, some people see it as abuse...

Yes, people are quick to over-react! Their school is a very good one, we are so happy. It is the regular public elementary school for our area, but we pay to have them in the early pre-K programs.

As to the over-reacting, my son was playing on the monkey bars last weekend at home, and I was helping him, and he let go unexpectedly and although I caught his fall, he still bumped his head and it left a knot. Later on we were at a large dinner, and someone asked him where the knot came from, and he told them his Dadda did it.
That evening my wife gets a call from her mother, because someone from earlier had called her concerned about the knot! My, my, my...... the world is a scary place these days! Innocent playtime, innocent questions, and overzealous do-gooders can really turn someone's world upside down if they are not careful!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoxMulder91
reply to post by BiggerPicture

They have already explained everything they need too. There is no age discrimination for detainees traveling in a police vehicle.

If anything the principle should be the one to sue for being injured by the bookshelf.

Cheers
edit on 17-4-2012 by FoxMulder91 because: (no reason given)

I think the principle should do a better job of securing furniture in his institution. It is a public facility, it is irresponsible to have unsecured shelving even if the load is only books.

I think it is reasonable to expect that a 1st grade classroom be childproofed.
As far as detaining the girl I am neutral but they should do a better job constructing their classrooms.

edit on 18-4-2012 by SanguineDenial because: addendum

edit on 18-4-2012 by SanguineDenial because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2012 by SanguineDenial because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I guess the 6 year old little girl was a risk of flight...

They also put her in a holding cell? I bet the cops felt like big men there, a job well done.
Where I come from and how I've been educated, this to me is child abuse.
Disgusting

edit on 18-4-2012 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well obviously something is wrong with this child and instead of taking her to jail they should have helped her. Children are perfect little images that capture the world that surrounds them............so we should be asking what is it that surrounds this child to create/mimic this type of behavior?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
I guess the 6 year old little girl was a risk of flight...

They also put her in a holding cell? I bet the cops felt like big men there, a job well done.
Where I come from and how I've been educated, this to me is child abuse.
Disgusting

edit on 18-4-2012 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

Other articles say she was never in a holding cell, she was kept in a break room or something, where they gave her a Coke and tried to calm her down.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I found this interesting also from the link provided in the OP.
Which is the article I base my comments on, I haven't read any other articles.

This isn't the first time we've seen schoolchildren handcuffed by police. In Colorado last month, a 6th grader was handcuffed and taken to a juvenile holding facility for disobeying an assistant principal and being "argumentative and extremely rude," according to the police report.

Notice according to the police report.
They took a little kid for being argumentative, why wouldn't I believe the little girl wasn't held in a holding cell.
Who am I supposed to believe the sherriff?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

No doubt, there are reports on the internet of 100s of cases of children being taken away from school by police. I can't imagine the attitude of failure that would motivate a teacher or principle to call the police on a 6 year old? As for the police part, I can't put any fault on an officer for doing their job, but what about the folks that actually decide to file charges?
Who does that serve? What is the purpose behind filing charges against a 6 year old?

Its all insanity.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

The fact that she actually got charged with 2 offenses only reinforces that welbeing and protection of the kid was the last thing they had in mind.

They just wanted to get rid of that pesky bugger.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

To instill in them a healthy sense of respect for authority.

It can be argued, that they shouldn't have called the police. But I don't know any 6yo that would continue to act like a fool with the police present. My parents gave me a healthy respect for authority when I was a child.

She may be young, but it's never to early to start teaching a child to respect authority.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
So, it's OK for police to handcuff a little girl, probably forcefully get her in and out of the police car, but it's not OK for her parents to reprimand her when she does these temper tantrums?

The parents probably never punish her for fear of being arrested on child abuse charges, and here the little girl is abused by police officers and it's OK because they are "The Law."

I wonder if the girl was "processed" downtown.

This world is really screwed up.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

The fact that she actually got charged with 2 offenses only reinforces that welbeing and protection of the kid was the last thing they had in mind.

They just wanted to get rid of that pesky bugger.

I am sure that those charges won't stick. I can't imagine that any DA would want to go through with a case like this.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneNationUnder
So, it's OK for police to handcuff a little girl, probably forcefully get her in and out of the police car, but it's not OK for her parents to reprimand her when she does these temper tantrums?

The parents probably never punish her for fear of being arrested on child abuse charges, and here the little girl is abused by police officers and it's OK because they are "The Law."

I wonder if the girl was "processed" downtown.

This world is really screwed up.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that any amount of force was used, more than what is necassary to apprehend an unruly 6 year old.

The assumption that they would use some sort of extreme force on a child, paints a sad picture of your mentality towards LEO's in this country.

Some of them are buttholes, most of them however are human beings with children of their own.

ETA: it's also very easy to discipline a child without being abusive. Here in Texas you are basically obligate to discipline your child if they are acting out. And spanking is totally OK, as long as it isn't leave bruises.

edit on 18-4-2012 by Cdaddy1034 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
A very wise person once said you could spank your child or give them a hug. Sometimes hugs are what accomplishes calming someone down. At the present moment, I have two good kids who are honor society material.

I put them on the time out bench in the kitchen when they acted out. This would give them a chance to sit quitely and rest. While thinking about their behavior. It worked well, no one wants to sit on the bench while Mom gives a brief lecture on morals and values. (No one was ever abused by sitting in time out.) Sometimes the parents need to also sit down in time out too. These are the critical moments in how someone learns to control their behavior.

I also wonder if the parents of the kindergardener feed her quality foods and keep a steady 8 pm bedtime to promote stability. Kids need scheduals to remain stable. This helps to be ready for a school day.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I can just see the show cops with an episode dedicated to busts as day cares.... COPS pre school division
edit on 18-4-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cdaddy1034

To instill in them a healthy sense of respect for authority.

It can be argued, that they shouldn't have called the police. But I don't know any 6yo that would continue to act like a fool with the police present. My parents gave me a healthy respect for authority when I was a child.

She may be young, but it's never to early to start teaching a child to respect authority.

Well, there is no way to say this that isn't racist, but here goes anyway.

Kids in certain demographics, like black, inner city, single-parent households, are well aware of the police from a very young age, and they don't learn any respect for authority by it. They learn violence, and hatred, and bullying, but they don't learn respect.

When my ex-wife used to do interviews for the State Attorney, she would show up at homes, white girl in a skirt suit, and the kids would go running off yelling "po-po" and doors and windows would shut in her face. 6 year olds assuming any decent looking white lady in business attire was either po-po or social services, and they didn't want to have anything to do with either one! In most cases she was sent out to interview the victims, because she wasn't a sworn officer or anything, but even the victims were not talking to some pretty white lady in a suit.

Sorry to say, but that is just the way it is. When the school calls the police on one of these kids, it is only reinforcing the negative stereotype of police, and when they get put in cuffs and into a squad car and taken to the station, it really reinforces it, and when the police decide to actually press charges, it really really reinforces it, plus it also gets a kid "into the system" where it is almost impossible to escape! Like life wasn't hard enough for these kids, now they have a juvie record that follows them forever, and the slightest thing they do is compounded by their record, and they don't stand a chance.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Was this girl on steroids or something?

It simply seems strange to have to call cops on a 6 year old because multiple adults could not handle her. I guess you would have to be there to believe it.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join