It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindergartner handcuffed, taken to police station after allegedly throwing tantrum

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
I can just see the show cops with an episode dedicated to busts as day cares.... COPS pre school division
edit on 18-4-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

Put the dummy down! Put the dummy down! Don't make us taze you!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Was this girl on steroids or something?

It simply seems strange to have to call cops on a 6 year old because multiple adults could not handle her. I guess you would have to be there to believe it.

I once saw a 16 year old girl at an under 21 club, cut another teen girl, fight her friends, fight off 4 bouncers, one of whom was a blackbelt in karate, and another was an off-duty cop in uniform. She seemed to be immune to mace. She was short and fat and mean! She literally shook off all the bouncers like fleas on a dog, and then a male friend of hers that was also a bouncer saw the commotion, grabbed her by one ear and said, "You're embarrassing me" and he led her out of the club by 1 year, while she apologized the whole way! Afterwards, at his simple request, she waited quietly to talk to the on-duty police as they arrived. It was amazing!

It is all about the level of authority, the level of respect, and the approach taken.

Still, I'm with you, and I can't imagine a 6 year old that couldn't be made to sit down or stand in a corner.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Was this girl on steroids or something?

It simply seems strange to have to call cops on a 6 year old because multiple adults could not handle her. I guess you would have to be there to believe it.

Why?

Why does this seem strange to everyone?

The safest thing for anyone to do in that situation is to call the police. You are completely protected from liability if something happens to the child, and the child can get the help it needs.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Can't you be taken into custody for a number of different reasons without "charges" being filed? Maybe even for your own protection and that of others at times. Psych holds come to mind. There may be others...I dunno.

Also, to the nazi/communis/police state sayers with this particular example as well as with many others cited here, I guess I'll push my worry button harder when they start coming to schools and homes and work places uncalled and unprovoked and start randomly arresting and dragging people away with no causeor due process. Haven't seen very much of that lately...not that the precedent hasn't sort of been set in the last decade or so.
edit on 4/18/2012 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Well, back when I was in elementary school, the teacher would have grabbed the wooden paddle every teacher had in a desk drawer, and would have taken the unruly child in the hall and given her three licks, then sent her to principals office. After getting home the parents would then beat her again. But the police were NEVER called. They didn't even have cops in school, even bad schools. Maybe because adults weren't AFRAID OF CHILDREN back then.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I don't believe how many people in this thread actually think this alright... are you people insane?

It's a 6 year old for heaven's sake!

Really... you're alright with this???

This shows how bizarre US culture has become.

Yes, the girls' behavior most likely is the result of home life, bad diet, etc... but seriously... Handcuffed and processed? (Also giving her a Coke to help calm her is just giving her more sugar for the flames). This won't in anyway develop a "respect for authority" in this girl... (respect is earned through respect given, and no respect was given to this child) rather it will enforce fear, avoidance and the flight instinct. It doesn't sound like anyone in this situation actually had the well being of the girl in mind, calmly trying to explain the situation to her, reduce her stress, understand why she was upset, and offering alternative avenues for her to be able to understand her emotions... everyone was too obsessed with litigation, and following the "law"... ha... what a joke!

I have taught in Kindergarten, dealt with trouble children and tantrums, and from my experience children are people too. Reducing them to just another problem to be dealt with is disrespectful... and the child understands that, and will become more frustrated by the situation if dealt with in such a way.

Handcuffing and punishment is not the type of behavioral attitude that we want to develop in our children, and children learn through example. The example this girl now has is "restrain and punish", which is completely wrong on multiple levels, and very sad.

When I started at the Kindy, there was a 4 year old girl that they called the Demon Child.. she used to yell profanities, make guttural screeches, pull her hair out, throw things, threaten people with knives... it did seem she was possessed at times. I made it a priority to understand and help this girl, and once she felt she had someone that she could come to with an issue, or for protection, she began to drastically improve. Within a couple of weeks, she was playing nicely with the other kids, saying please to the teachers, and had started to develop social skills. This was 15 years ago, and I recently ran into her and her parents, and she has developed into a lovely and charming young lady... her parents are still douchebags.

The first step to handling a situation like this is to empathise with the child, and make them understand that you understand them. Once this has been established, trust can be built and discourse can begin, and the child can begin to develop the skills to be able to handle their emotions.

The problem here is that most teachers are basically unskilled, low-paid placeholders, and we expect these people to "raise" our children. It should be required that anyone teaching young children have a degree in child psychology, and teachers should be one of the highest paid professions in our society... Talent follows the money... and if teaching was well paid, we would be getting a better caliber of person to essentially care for our children, and we would see less of this tripe!

Regards
edit on 18-4-2012 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Can't you be taken into custody for a number of different reasons without "charges" being filed? Maybe even for your own protection and that of others at times. Psych holds come to mind. There may be others...I dunno.

Yes, you can be "arrested" but not charged. But in this case, she was actually charged!! That is where the train really goes off the tracks!

Johnson was charged with assault and damage to property, WMAZ-TV reported, but she will not have to go to court because of her age.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
theres no excuse for a 6 year to act like that. its not child abuse. in fact if my child were to act like that at 6 years old id be happy to know she/he was taken to the police station due to the fact that the bitch chucking # around, pushing students and knocking down shelves. i see it as a safety measure to get the bitch out and move on to continue the school day. i dont tell my nieces and nephews that if there not good there gonna get coal for xmas, i tell them if theyr not good krampus is gunna come instead of santa. #ed up? yea i guess but thats how me and my siblings were raised. the child should have mental evaluations becuase obviously bitch got problems and she gives no #s about getting a fresh lump of coal unless here parents dont use discipline to teach the child wrong from right and get what she wants anyway. i think kids these days are lacking discipline, no 6 year old should be acting like that.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje
reply to post by PsychNurse

The only disagreement i have is with the school calling police before parents, and police handcuffing and detaining a 6yo.

Quoting myself here:

Did anyone even CONCIDER this might have an underlying medical condition?

Imo calling an ambulance here wouldve been more appropriate, and might have actually led to a solution on the long term.

Completely agree with you on that!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by foobarred
Well, back when I was in elementary school, the teacher would have grabbed the wooden paddle every teacher had in a desk drawer, and would have taken the unruly child in the hall and given her three licks, then sent her to principals office. After getting home the parents would then beat her again. But the police were NEVER called. They didn't even have cops in school, even bad schools. Maybe because adults weren't AFRAID OF CHILDREN back then.

I don't know how old you are, but in my day this kind of thing seldom happened because children were disciplined at home, I was taught to respect my elders and mom was very strict about her golden rule, children should be seen and not heard.

eeeeeeek

Things are different now in so many ways.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
She's six. Whoop her ass and wear the belt around your neck.

Spare the rod, spoil the child. Spankings/Whoopings DO NOT have to be brutal or abusive. They do not have to be done with electric ironing cords or paddles. A couple of strong stings across the backside would have sufficed.

You take away the parent's right to openly discipline the child, this is what you will get...we already are putting kids in prison on life sentences. That Tate boy from florida comes to mind, as well as the two 8 yr olds in AR.

This is just a mind meld attack of conditioning. Don't fall for it.

Adults know the difference between cruelty and making a point, spanking and beating.

Whoop her ass and wear the belt around your neck. As my mom and dad would have done, do it in front of the classroom. Embarrass her in her "element" and then tell the teacher YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DISCIPLINE HER to re-inforce that we don't play that up in here.

Guaranteed problem solver at that age.

This kind of behavior the child exhibited started right as she began walking and talking and was thought of as "cute" now she's 6 and its out of control.

Whoop her parents ass too.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Stormdancer777

However my brothers were know to shoot their arrows through the neighbors laundry,

I'm 38, and that still sounds almost irresistable! If you are outside, with a bow and arrow, and there is some laundry blowing nearby......... how could anyone resist that!?!?!

LOL, that's funny, men are always boys at heart, I don't mean that disrespectfully, but I see it in my husband I find it endearing.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ArchPlayer

Whoop her parents ass too.

LOL, Arch.

I think in this case seems a little deeper than just a disciplinary problem, biting a door knob?

Maybe they should have called an exorcist,

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchPlayer
Whoop her ass and wear the belt around your neck. As my mom and dad would have done, do it in front of the classroom. Embarrass her in her "element" and then tell the teacher YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DISCIPLINE HER to re-inforce that we don't play that up in here.

Only problem is, how long do you think you'd be able to do that for, before you had Child Protective Services showing up at your front door, potentially with SWAT cops in tow?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

She bit a door knob? I lol'd so hard

Have they considered that she might have some kind of mental illness? Plenty of people go berserk, but I've never heard of somebody biting a door knob

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

It's never actually specified anywhere whether she was already handcuffed when she bit the doorknob... If she was, then it makes complete sense to use any other means to escape her captors (which is most definitely how she viewed the adults in the situation), even her mouth.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
either more children are going to die and become incarcerated or more people will stand up and do the righteous thing. some people act like any action taken outside of context of the social understanding of a "relationship perceived" is bounds to shot kill lynch murder rape and violate the black peoples in this country.

criminalizing a 6 yr old girl is a crime in itself. i pray the people of america find themselves as vulnerable as this child, and at the very mercy of persons and people who treat them in kind from a position of so called professionalism.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
after reading over some of you guys posts im surprised most of you arent in kabul or north irak with your terrorist rhetoric towards american children. im disappointed i swore on the constitution, the america that this child lives in is the same one i live in and the same one u guys who think it right to beat a child not your own lives in and the same one in which police can think it right to handcuff children at 6 .

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cdaddy1034

Originally posted by Romekje

The fact that she actually got charged with 2 offenses only reinforces that welbeing and protection of the kid was the last thing they had in mind.

They just wanted to get rid of that pesky bugger.

I am sure that those charges won't stick. I can't imagine that any DA would want to go through with a case like this.

It was in the article that she wouldn't be brought infront of court because of her age (thnx for reading it also!)

But then why charge in the first place? It simply assumes guilt?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

People have it so backwards now..

Wasn't there something in the Bible that was in the lines of "Care for thy neighbor"? (sorry im not religious myself, dont know the exact saying)

Can't imagine the Bible wanting people to police their neighbors.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join