It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindergartner handcuffed, taken to police station after allegedly throwing tantrum

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychNurse
reply to post by Romekje

Are the principals walls padded and sound proof... Something happened to get her in there in the first place. They wouldn't notice police coming in, of course not! Not to mention seeing her brought out the the cruiser. No one saw a thing. Of course the other children were traumatized.

These are all assumptions..

I already pointed out that the REASON she was there, is unknown.

She might aswell have been falsy accused of something making her go into the rage she went in.

a 6yo doesnt "just" go mental throwing chairs and such, there must have been something else going on.

As for American kids being traumatized by seeing police? Gimme a break lol police has a presence on school grounds.

And how do you know the layout of the school? In my old schools offices and classrooms were kept seperate to prevent noise pollution.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

Originally posted by PsychNurse
reply to post by Romekje

Are the principals walls padded and sound proof... Something happened to get her in there in the first place. They wouldn't notice police coming in, of course not! Not to mention seeing her brought out the the cruiser. No one saw a thing. Of course the other children were traumatized.

These are all assumptions..

I already pointed out that the REASON she was there, is unknown.

She might aswell have been falsy accused of something making her go into the rage she went in.

a 6yo doesnt "just" go mental throwing chairs and such, there must have been something else going on.

As for American kids being traumatized by seeing police? Gimme a break lol police has a presence on school grounds.

And how do you know the layout of the school? In my old schools offices and classrooms were kept seperate to prevent noise pollution.

First of all think out of the box instead of so literal.. Trauma of seeing police take a six year old out of school in handcuffs. Yes that would be traumatic. And yes depending on the home environment, yes 6yr olds do have spontaneous behavior changes in public, as you have said assumption only. Beyond that your only fishing for a disagreement.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PsychNurse

The only disagreement i have is with the school calling police before parents, and police handcuffing and detaining a 6yo.

Quoting myself here:

Did anyone even CONCIDER this might have an underlying medical condition?

Imo calling an ambulance here wouldve been more appropriate, and might have actually led to a solution on the long term.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
They shouldn't be handcuffing children for any reason, BTW didn't read the post.

Obviously there is a deeper problem with this child,

Johnson's mother, Constance Ruff, says her daughter was suspended until the start of the next school year.

"She has mood swings some days, which all of us have mood swings some days," she told WMAZ-TV. "I guess that was just one of her bad days."

This statement is very telling.

Children repeat what they learn, and are a product of their environment.

My granddaughter has a hot temper like her dad, she threw a tantrum the other day, no one could pacify her, while three or four adults "yelled at her to get her to stop yelling," all I had to do was hug her, and it was all over.

Just my two cents,

But yea, it's par for the course, the school system what it is today,

THE INMATES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM.

The Kid needs help, not handcuffs.

edit on 113030p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
reply to post by blupblup

The kid wasn't arrested in front of children "man". She was a threat as long as she was in that building. You need some real world experience "dude".

You need to learn to read...

I said EVEN IF they were arrested in front of class.... and I even put in brackets (which didn't happen)

If you can't read a reply, why bother posting on here?

Moron
edit on 18/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Imo calling an ambulance here wouldve been more appropriate, and might have actually led to a solution on the long term.

I agree, we are living in a very sick society,

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

I think calling an ambulance would have been much more appropriate. I can't fathom taking a kindergartner to jail. And as to the people saying it'll teach her a lesson about obeying authority; I doubt it. More than likely it was a pretty traumatic experience for one so young.

Hell, I remember when a few 16 year olds got arrested, and some were crying. Now imagine what it'd do to a kindergartner.

Seems as though your fight against 'political correctness' is making it to where you think we should beat any kid with a metal pole until they're unconscious to make up for how slack we've been.
edit on 18-4-2012 by Basilis because: spacing

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Basilis

I can't fathom taking a kindergartner to jail.

I can't imagine the police doing it, do any of these adults have any common sense?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
What school in any first world nation, calls the police to deal with a kindergarden studen or primary grades?

NONE!

If there is injury, medical help is available or called, they time kids out, restrain if absolutely necessary, and have spots to put them, and call the parents. Note, this case was kindergarden, have you noticed them at your school? They're tiny. Adults are designed by nature to deal with small children, without police.

These cases that has been the news quite a lot has a made in America price tag!

edit on 17-4-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Here is the problem I see with this:

I have heard MANY teachers say that they are not hired to discipline your children. They are there to teach them. Part of their training in college is not "how to restrain violent children 101"

Where exactly do you think they get this training from? are you even aware of what the requirements for being a teacher are?

It's sad to me that you passing the responsibility of disciplining and restraining a violent child off on the school. They are not there to raise your damn children, that is the job of the parent. You raise them, and the school will teach them. This is why schools will expel children who are unruly on a regular basis. Because it's not their job to have to deal with that sort of behavior.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The only reason I can see for them doing it is to take the responsibility off their hands. With so many people against paddlings and what not, they were probably attempting to avoid any lawsuits by going directly to the law.

But like you said, an ambulance would have been much more appropriate. For all they know, she could have been having some sort of medical fit.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Basilis

True, it is just not normal behavior for such a young child, a child that was having behavioral problems at my grandsons school parent was called, not the police, the next day the parent had to accompany his child on the play ground.

Plus I think they need to get to the root of the problem.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Temper tantrums do not equal mental illness.

They are a NORMAL part of most children's development.

Of a total of 800 children (aged 3-12 years) attending a pediatric outpatient department, 182 (22.8%) were found to be having temper tantrums (mean age, 4.7 years). Temper tantrums were found to be most common at 3-5 years (75.3%), less common at 6-8 years (20.8%), and least common at 9-12 years (3.9%). Children aged 3-5 years were more likely to be of a lower social class (p less than 0.01), whereas in other age groups (6-8 years and 9-12 years) children were more likely to be of an upper social class. Boys dominated the study significantly: the ratio of boys to girls was 3.1:1. Boys having temper tantrums were more likely to be of an upper social class (p less than 0.001) compared with girls, who tended to be of a lower social class (p less than .01). Children showed a higher incidence of history of postnatal trauma and seizure disorder compared with the control group (p less than 0.05). Parental overprotection and marital discord were found to be stress factors in a significantly higher number of boys than girls (p less than 0.01); parental negligence was a significant stress factor for girls (p less than 0.01). Associated behavioral problems, such as thumb sucking, enuresis, tics, head banging, sleep disturbances, and hyperkinesis were found to be significantly higher among children with tantrums.

Source.

Never mind the science. Let's just treat this as a law enforcement problem.

edit on 18-4-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Out of my four children, only one threw tantrums, I solved that by ignoring him/the tantrums.

Now in my moms day, she solved it with a switch.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cdaddy1034

Originally posted by Unity_99
What school in any first world nation, calls the police to deal with a kindergarden studen or primary grades?

NONE!

If there is injury, medical help is available or called, they time kids out, restrain if absolutely necessary, and have spots to put them, and call the parents. Note, this case was kindergarden, have you noticed them at your school? They're tiny. Adults are designed by nature to deal with small children, without police.

These cases that has been the news quite a lot has a made in America price tag!

edit on 17-4-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Here is the problem I see with this:

I have heard MANY teachers say that they are not hired to discipline your children. They are there to teach them. Part of their training in college is not "how to restrain violent children 101"

Where exactly do you think they get this training from? are you even aware of what the requirements for being a teacher are?

It's sad to me that you passing the responsibility of disciplining and restraining a violent child off on the school. They are not there to raise your damn children, that is the job of the parent. You raise them, and the school will teach them. This is why schools will expel children who are unruly on a regular basis. Because it's not their job to have to deal with that sort of behavior.

If you forcefully remove kids from their parents' care so they can be schooled by total strangers, you automatically take over some of the responsibilities that come with raising/disciplining a kid.

or you want the parents to sit next to their kids in the schoolbench all day? (dont even think its allowed at any school)

I still believe this has more to it then the kid just turning violent all of a sudden. She was in the principal's office, something happened, but what? It's kept awfully silent. If blame was to be put on the kid surely it would've been in the article even if it was just to save the face of both the school and the police in the way they handled the situation. A 6yo having regular moodswings (according to her mom) should be checked out, not arrested. It's pretty much the only blame i can lay on the parents, have your kid checked if this is something that happens on a regular basis, still doesnt mean theyre bad parents, might aswell have been the first time that she went beserk like this.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Agreed, if this is normal for the child, they should be checked out.

As far as forcefully removed, that is not necassarily true. There are a lot of options for educating your child that don't revolve around public education.

Homeschooling, tutoring, private schools... to name a few.

It's not really illegal to not send your children to school, as far as I know. But it's certainly frowned upon in today's society.

ETA: Upon looking up more information, they have to receive some sort of education, in most states through 8th grade OR the age of 16.
edit on 18-4-2012 by Cdaddy1034 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I am living close to a school and to be honest whenever I watch the garden of the school, I always see a few bullies actually hurting other children for no reason. When I was a kid, I was bullied too. And some of the bullies (not to me) but given so much pain to other kids physically. Now I know that teachers try so hard to actually teach these kids to be well behaved but in cases as extreme as this one, I think police were right to handcuff the kid because it is the law (this is what you can discuss) and the kid will not be causing any trouble for a long time. I dont care how old the kid is, if he's causing so much trouble that they had to call the police, than the problem is with the kid. And as long as this helps the kid to realise that he/she has no right to hurt anyone, or start trouble for no reason, I'm okay with anyone, any age being handcuffed. This is what I think. Because these kind of extreme behaving kids grow up to be really bad examples, and maybe this action would actually help that kid.
edit on 18-4-2012 by trjack35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by loam

Out of my four children, only one threw tantrums, I solved that by ignoring him/the tantrums.

Now in my moms day, she solved it with a switch.

I have a son that wants to throw tantrums, and occasionally he gets away with it at school, and we get a dirty note from his teacher. He is only 4 years old though. Tantrums can certainly be controlled, because if I am within earshot, I simply startle him with a loud, deep, booming, "HEY! BOY, what are doing?" That stops the tantrum in its tracks, and he switches to pouting and whining, and those are solved with a timeout in a chair facing the wall. As soon as he is willing to speak up, and talk it out, he is allowed to get up. Of course, once in awhile the "HEY" comes with a pop on the butt if I am close enough to surprise him with it! Doing that once in awhile makes all the other ones more effective.

At school, if he throws a tantrum his teachers can't control, there is a teacher's aide in another room that he is sent too. She seems to have a similar authoritative effect on him, and she can calm him down every time. No principal, no police.

Sometimes he also overreacts to getting his feelings hurt, and when his teachers can't recover from that, they go fetch his brother from another class, and his brother cheers him right up.

Now, my kid is only 4 years old, and he had some major physical and mental setbacks at an early age, so this behavior was somewhat expected, but he has overcome 99.9% of the lasting effects of those struggles. For a kid that was never supposed to walk or talk, having an occasionaly tantrum at age 4 is a pretty damn good success story! Still, the point is this, even in a 4 year old with known problems, the tantrums can be controlled with good authoritative and also caring attention.

I guess that was a long way of saying I agree with you, and with the switch!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

What exactly are these children "mad" at teachers for? They're given far better education and resources today then even one year ago. They're given more chances and this day and age we cater to the foreign community and they are even taught in their native tongues in OUR land. So I'm trying to find out what exactly children have to complain about now, that when I was a kid I didn't? I don't really see where your going with this, education has gotten much better and these kids gotta get their heads out of their asses. How could you not give respect to teachers or for that matter police? Makes ZERO Sense to me and clearly if you have children they may want to remind them that if they don't respect both they'll get no where, especially the police teach um to show them no respect and then tape it so we can all have a laugh.
edit on 18-4-2012 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Every child is different, problem with the school system they can't deal with the kid that can't sit still, I feel sorry for the kids that are different, my tantrum thrower didn't do that in school, but he was the class clown, he has become a talented and awesome man, still a little different,

The school system doesn't like the different, some of us are immune to brain washing, lol

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

So I'm trying to find out what exactly children have to complain about now, that when I was a kid I didn't?

I dunno, I was happy jumping rope and playing jacks.

Life was so much simpler.

However my brothers were know to shoot their arrows through the neighbors laundry,

edit on 013030p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join