It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl Swept Away in Tsunami shows up 7 years later

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Girl Swept Away in Tsunami shows up 7 years later

www.foxnews.com

An eight-year-old girl who was swept away in the Indian Ocean tsunami has been found alive -- almost seven years to the day the giant wave hit her Indonesian village, Antara news agency reported Thursday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Wow imagine what she went through in those 7 years without her family must have been hard. But it is good she is now home. I wonder how many more children have gone through or are going through this right now and there is no help for them just hope that they get as lucky as this little girl and find their way home.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by starks1089

This story just goes to show there are many possibilities within the Universe.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel..

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by starks1089

I'm happy for this girl, but, also feel sad for her in imagining what she's been through over the last 7 years.
The article takes note that when she showed up at the cafe in the neighboring village inquiring about her grandfather who's name was the only one she knew, the people in the cafe thought she was a beggar.

She very well may have been a beggar.
The article also indicates that she seems to have wandered all over the district during her 7 years post tsunami, wandering and looking and searching.

Poor child. I'm glad she's finally found home.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
wow

I am really happy she is finally back home.

But its a sad reminder, all that time she was just wandering around, you'd think that some adult would stop her and ask questions or help, but this is not the world we live in when poverty is so high in certain places, you'll just see other children wandering also...heartbreaking.

She is one of the lucky ones to have made it back. Best be with her.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Poor girl ??

Hogwash ! Perhaps the first few months were hard on her but this girl must have had people looking out for a hungry lost child all these years.. and or it taught her to survive.. toughened her up. I believe it's most likely a combination of both.

Nothing poor about this girl or her experience. If all kids went through this it would be an awesome thing for them. they would either die because they could not cut it or it would cause them to rise to the challenge. I bet this girl becomes something Big one day.

+29 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
You're right, John. Too bad all our kids can't go through a 7 year ordeal wandering the country with nothing but the clothes on their backs. It's a waste of an opportunity if any child doesn't get a chance to go through this awesome experience.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
You're right, John. Too bad all our kids can't go through a 7 year ordeal wandering the country with nothing but the clothes on their backs. It's a waste of an opportunity if any child doesn't get a chance to go through this awesome experience.

No 8yo kid would last 7 years in the US. Too many mother #in pedophiles in this country...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

His good point is lost in bad verbiage, that's all.

I understand what he's saying, and I also understand that it's in the context of society. Unfortunately as Americans we're so spoiled that the equivalent to her 7 years wandering for us is getting a little job at 9-10 years old working 10 hrs a week. Actually doing something, learning some work ethic, and some personal responsibility outside of "clean your room". How about "learn to appreciate the fact you have a room"..

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17

No 8yo kid would last 7 years in the US. Too many mother #in pedophiles in this country...

Pedophiles are in every country and culture.

But in 3rd world areas like this they never fear being caught, so there is no need to kill the victim.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

His good point is lost in bad verbiage, that's all.

I understand what he's saying, and I also understand that it's in the context of society. Unfortunately as Americans we're so spoiled that the equivalent to her 7 years wandering for us is getting a little job at 9-10 years old working 10 hrs a week. Actually doing something, learning some work ethic, and some personal responsibility outside of "clean your room". How about "learn to appreciate the fact you have a room"..

Well the thing is, we don't want to toughen up little kids and turn into Dog Eat Dogger Survivalists.

We're supposed soften up the macho's and keep children sensitive.

Also, I am very suspicious of this story. Sound more like someone kept her, and who knows for what reason.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Poor girl ??

Hogwash ! Perhaps the first few months were hard on her but this girl must have had people looking out for a hungry lost child all these years.. and or it taught her to survive.. toughened her up. I believe it's most likely a combination of both.

Nothing poor about this girl or her experience. If all kids went through this it would be an awesome thing for them. they would either die because they could not cut it or it would cause them to rise to the challenge. I bet this girl becomes something Big one day.

You sir make me sick.

Obviously you are too young to have children of your own or you would think otherwise. Maybe when your child turns 7 you can be so kind as to abandon them in the wilderness to "toughen her up". Hopefully she will be found and you will be imprisoned and the prisoners can show you what they think of people who abuse children.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Poor girl ??

Yeah.

Poor girl.

Hoghwash?

Really?

I know i couldn't take care of myself when i was 8 let alone now at 23

Toughened her up?

You sir are a sick individual if you really believe this.

Nothing poor about this girl or her experience.

*facepalm*

Girl being torn away from her parents by a tsunami.

Yet nothing is poor about her experience?

Girl doesn't know if she's ever coming home yet it's all handy-dandy to you?

If all kids went through this it would be an awesome thing for them. they would either die because they could not cut it or it would cause them to rise to the challenge.

You're just plain sick.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Poor little thing was probably forced into prostitution. That is one big island. I'll bet many children are still missing from living relatives they don't know exist. It seems that at about 9, kids can find home again.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Seven years to the day???

December or the day after Christmas is when the tsunami happened. Its now April???

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Someone HAD to have been taking care of this little girl, absolutely no way an eight year old could have survived on their own without assistance, especially in a society where women are regarded as third class citizens, below men and cows.

Glad she got home, but I'm not buying that she survived on her own.
edit on 17-4-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Crazy story!

If they ever decided to disclose what happened to her in that time it may turn out to be a great movie.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Opps.. posted in wrong thread.. How'd that happen.. LOL.. sorry.
edit on 17-4-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: (no reason given)

Hey wait.. I just read all the replies above me.. so i'll make a post anyway..( the post I deleted was for a science thread)

My point was what this girl did was a Triumph of the Human Spirit. What would be poor was if this girl would have died out there with no help or lacking the mental ability to think for herself to make sure she survived. Obviously this did not happen.

This may not have been a horrible ordeal for her.. you cant say that... you don't know that. Sure it had to be scary at first but she proved she was stronger than her circumstances.

This IS what kids need today. Perhaps not as extreme (some would think oh that's still just horrible of me.).

Let me tell you.. for thousands of years kids were brought up in the wild and they either lived or died. YOU are here today because The Strong survived. I don't think it's such a bad thing our kids get a taste of this. It could only serve to help them in the future - if any were traumatized and left in a sadder state, it would only be because that's how society has conditioned us. Kids growing up in the wild didn't have such issues to deal with from over protective parents or society.

Oh and I'm not only old enough to have kids, I'm old enough to have grand kids. I see way too many people coddle their kids and their kids turn out to be wusses that don't have a clue how to handle the real tough situations society throws at them. Shame on me? No, Shame on you. A parents responsibility to to teach their kids how to handle tough situations and not only survive, but thrive. If you don't have the guts to teach your kids the skill they need to do this, then you are a bad parent.

This little girl didn't have this training from her parents. She found the strength to do it on her own. Nothing poor about that.
edit on 17-4-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Poor girl ??

Yes, poor child indeed.

As far as people 'taking care' of her, yes, I'm quite sure every pedophile in a 50 kilometer radius has indeed 'taken care' of this girl.

For certain, yes, I'm sure that would 'toughen' the girl up in addition to seeing and being exposed to all the dead rotting bloated bodies of tens of thousands of people right after the disaster, never knowing if any of those people were her parents or relatives.

Then she had to survive for 7 years, adrift in a land full of strangers all struggling themselves in a landscape destroyed and remade in mud, and corpses, everyone left to the lives of beggars with nothing to give a lost child even if they wanted to.
Of course, I'm sure those pedophiles helped her out with a little bit of extra protein right?

You are sick.
Your attitude is intolerable.
This poor child went through hell and actually survived against a huge number of odds despite being so young and despite everything stacked against her, and you have the audacity to say she probably needed to be toughened up?

Perhaps you could volunteer as a test subject to see if getting raped over a seven year period works miracles in your own life? We'd really enjoy hearing your input after such a forced long term experience. It'll toughen you up. It wouldn't be all that bad after the first few months.

edit on 17-4-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
wow this
is rly inspirational...

Humans can with stand
alot more then credit
is given..

hats off

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join