It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl Swept Away in Tsunami shows up 7 years later

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I read about this before Xmas old news but impressive all the same!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Seven years to the day???

December or the day after Christmas is when the tsunami happened. Its now April???

Nearly 7 years to the day.The article is dated Dec.22 2011.It's an incredible story,if true.I'm not sure I believe that she could've survived on her on given the situation.Anything is possible I guess.Not sure what this has to do with Japan though

edit on 17-4-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wow. This girl probably can make a pretty good book. I wish the details were given, but they have the right to be private. I really dont know how this didnt happen sooner. Weird how she only remembers her grandfathers name, by 8 years old I definitely knew my parents names. It is what it is, she's home now. That must have been an amazing feeling for the parents to see their daughter again.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
there are SO many gaps in this story it's pathetic ..

and I mean MANY GAPS..

slow day at Faux i guess

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Poor girl ??

Hogwash ! Perhaps the first few months were hard on her but this girl must have had people looking out for a hungry lost child all these years.. and or it taught her to survive.. toughened her up. I believe it's most likely a combination of both.

Nothing poor about this girl or her experience. If all kids went through this it would be an awesome thing for them. they would either die because they could not cut it or it would cause them to rise to the challenge. I bet this girl becomes something Big one day.

I know, I know!

Drownings, dismemberment, poisoning, extreme repeated violence, terror, not to mention rape and slavery. Kids these days just don't know how good they get it.

If the kids today were given more fatal beatings early in their lives then they wouldn't have the soft, wishy-washy attitudes they have today!

edit on 17/4/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by starks1089

This is old news from last year.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Very true, apologies I did not look at the date of the article I just happened to really like the story.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

December or the day after Christmas is when the tsunami happened. Its now April???

Nearly 7 years to the day.The article is dated Dec.22 2011.It's an incredible story,if true.I'm not sure I believe that she could've survived on her on given the situation.Anything is possible I guess.Not sure what this has to do with Japan though

edit on 17-4-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

It was moved into Japan section by mods I guess nothing to do with me lol.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Perhaps the mod that moved it was thinking of the more recent tsunami that resulted in the Fukishima disaster while this was actually the one from 2004 that killed some 200,000 people all over.

2004 Indonesia Earthquake/Tsunami

According to the U.S. Geological Survey a total of 227,898 people died (see table below for details).[52] Measured in lives lost, this is one of the ten worst earthquakes in recorded history, as well as the single worst tsunami in history. Indonesia was the worst affected area, with most death toll estimates at around 170,000.[53] However, another report by health minister Fadilah Supari has estimated the death total to be as high as 220,000 in Indonesia alone, giving a total of 280,000 casualties.[2] The tsunami caused serious damage and deaths as far as the east coast of Africa, with the farthest recorded death due to the tsunami occurring at Rooi Els in South Africa, 8,000 km (5,000 mi) away from the epicentre. In total, eight people in South Africa died due to abnormally high sea levels and waves.

Not Japan, nor to be confused with

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Opps.. posted in wrong thread.. How'd that happen.. LOL.. sorry.
edit on 17-4-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: (no reason given)

Hey wait.. I just read all the replies above me.. so i'll make a post anyway..( the post I deleted was for a science thread)

My point was what this girl did was a Triumph of the Human Spirit. What would be poor was if this girl would have died out there with no help or lacking the mental ability to think for herself to make sure she survived. Obviously this did not happen.

This may not have been a horrible ordeal for her.. you cant say that... you don't know that. Sure it had to be scary at first but she proved she was stronger than her circumstances.

This IS what kids need today. Perhaps not as extreme (some would think oh that's still just horrible of me.).

Let me tell you.. for thousands of years kids were brought up in the wild and they either lived or died. YOU are here today because The Strong survived. I don't think it's such a bad thing our kids get a taste of this. It could only serve to help them in the future - if any were traumatized and left in a sadder state, it would only be because that's how society has conditioned us. Kids growing up in the wild didn't have such issues to deal with from over protective parents or society.

Oh and I'm not only old enough to have kids, I'm old enough to have grand kids. I see way too many people coddle their kids and their kids turn out to be wusses that don't have a clue how to handle the real tough situations society throws at them. Shame on me? No, Shame on you. A parents responsibility to to teach their kids how to handle tough situations and not only survive, but thrive. If you don't have the guts to teach your kids the skill they need to do this, then you are a bad parent.

This little girl didn't have this training from her parents. She found the strength to do it on her own. Nothing poor about that.
edit on 17-4-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: (no reason given)

I love how every is claiming she was raped, beaten, etc...You don't know. You have NO idea how this child survived. It may have been a horrific experience, it may not. However John is absolutely correct in that these things you feel the need to "protect" children from, are things that they've been exposed to for thousands of years until recent times.

Personally, I grew up on the streets of Houston, from about 7 until 18 when I joined the Navy. I've had my share of ups and downs, but I can promise you i'm better off for it, either way. I can live and breathe easy knowing I'm secure in myself, my abilities, and my absence of fear. Too many people today are afraid...afraid of everything and everyone around them. "Is that person going to kidnap my child?" "Am I in danger by driving on this street?"

We're ALWAYS in danger. It's how you choose to deal with whatever situations arise that give rise to your greatest or worst abilities. Stop fearing everything, and just live life.

Whatever happens is what happens. When you accept this fact, you may find life to be substantially easier.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
"I'm not sure I believe that she could've survived on her on given the situation... "

Faux "News" left out a few minor details:

The Associated Press BANDA ACEH, Indonesia -- A girl who was swept away in the Indian Ocean tsunami seven years ago said Friday she broke down in tears this week after tracking down her parents, who had long lost hope of finding her alive. The 15-year-old showed up in Aceh province's hard-hit town of Meulaboh earlier this week, saying that not long after the wave hit she was "adopted" by a woman who called her Wati and forced her to beg, sometimes beating her and keeping her in the streets until 1 a.m. When the teen stopped bringing in money, she was told, "Go ahead, leave ... go find your parents then, they're in Meulaboh." Link

A poll conducted in October 2011 found that “Fox News viewers in the U.S. are less informed than those who watch nothing at all.”

This IS what kids need today. Perhaps not as extreme (some would think oh that's still just horrible of me.).
I see way too many people coddle their kids and their kids turn out to be wusses that don't have a clue how to handle the real tough situations society throws at them. Shame on me? No, Shame on you. A parents responsibility to to teach their kids how to handle tough situations and not only survive, but thrive. If you don't have the guts to teach your kids the skill they need to do this, then you are a bad parent. This little girl didn't have this training from her parents.

Originally posted by Druscilla
You are sick. Perhaps you could volunteer as a test subject?

JohnPhoenix may or may not be sick but he IS bringing up a very valid point. Kids are not ready for what is coming and it does NOT have to be that way. For example Dr. Stu Breisch and his family were vacationing in Kao Lak, Thailand when the tsunami struck. His son Jai had several dreams warning that something terrible was about to happen. Jai's 15-year sister Kali died during the tsunami. Many were warned and would be still alive if they had only listened to the warnings.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Was she living under water?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing an uplifting story

Just read alittle more, wow! thats crazy what she went through. I wish her all the best.
edit on 18-4-2012 by strongerthandirt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Published December 22, 2011

NewsCore

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Wow this is just baffling. I have great admiration for this girl and her ability to survive such an ordeal at such a young age. I think i wouldnt be able to survive on the streets of this country for a week on my own, let alone 7 years, and at an age of 8, and in a tsunami wrecked area. I think i'd just stand in a corner and cry all day long feeling sorry for myself.

What character she must have, this girl must be ready by now to face pretty much all challenges in life if she wasnt already.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Although this isn't that hard to believe, I simply won't because if it is either from CNN or FOX, it's about as credible as the Enquirer the last few years.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I'm so glad this girl managed to survive that terrible disaster and return to her family! What a terrible ordeal that 8-year old must've been through, and at the age of 15 returning home she will never forget the 7-years she missed with them. Poor girl will probably need counselling or something later on in life :/

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Yes, children today need to experience an ordeal. The ordeal is called EDUCATION, ACCOUNTABILITY, RESPECT, HUMILITY, RESPONSIBILITY...etc. And it needs to be taught by PARENTS, by example; NOT by throwing them into the woods, or not by totally handing the task off to a school teacher.

There is more to this poor girls story, and I am sure it's not going to be pretty.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by zayonara
Yes, children today need to experience an ordeal. The ordeal is called EDUCATION, ACCOUNTABILITY, RESPECT, HUMILITY, RESPONSIBILITY...etc. And it needs to be taught by PARENTS, by example; NOT by throwing them into the woods, or not by totally handing the task off to a school teacher.

There is more to this poor girls story, and I am sure it's not going to be pretty.

No, that would be all the wanna be elites. Children need Love, to be taught Compassion for others, and Generosity, Kindness, Goodness. Self Esteem and that they and all people Count Very Much, and to work for Social Justice and Equality!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

My point was what this girl did was a Triumph of the Human Spirit. What would be poor was if this girl would have died out there with no help or lacking the mental ability to think for herself to make sure she survived. Obviously this did not happen.

While you consider it a "triumph" it could have also as easily been a tragedy. A child that young does not have the capability to hunt to survive and im sure she was not able to find a plot and farm, nor would she know where to begin if she could. So this leaves begging and stealing.

This may not have been a horrible ordeal for her.. you cant say that... you don't know that. Sure it had to be scary at first but she proved she was stronger than her circumstances.

Yeah, im sure it was an wonderful adventure! Any kid loves to be removed from parents, house and home and left to fend for themselves. You hear about it all the time.

What kids need today are responsible parents who teach their children values, discipline and important life skills. Parents who arent afraid to turn off the TV and interact with them. Go for walks, to the park, teach them the value of hard work. But no, maybe you think the child doesnt need a strong, guiding hand. They simply need to be abandoned. Thats what parents do today. Abandon them in front of the TV or Xbox and neglect to instill important values and work ethic in their children.

Let me tell you.. for thousands of years kids were brought up in the wild and they either lived or died.

I think you have been watching too much 300. This is not Sparta and children did not grow up in the wild alone. While yes, they might have been hunters and gatherers in ancient times, they generally still had parents or elders of their tribe to teach and guide them.

Oh and I'm not only old enough to have kids, I'm old enough to have grand kids. I see way too many people coddle their kids and their kids turn out to be wusses that don't have a clue how to handle the real tough situations society throws at them. Shame on me? No, Shame on you. A parents responsibility to to teach their kids how to handle tough situations and not only survive, but thrive. If you don't have the guts to teach your kids the skill they need to do this, then you are a bad parent.

I agree. Its the parents job to do these things. Not random strangers. Not people who will use and abuse them as they wander the countryside lost.

This little girl didn't have this training from her parents. She found the strength to do it on her own. Nothing poor about that.

No idea what your talking about here. What part of the story did you read that i did not?
edit on 18-4-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join