It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the tech existed to leave earth for like a mars colony, would anyone go to form a NEW WORLD?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Bihotz
You got a great idea, I don't think though that a government is the tool to foot the bill.
A corporation.
Living in off planet has to be funded, and tax money might not be the answer, but if as someone else has pointed out, there is money to be made there: Tourism and Mining...it could happen.
Probably in conjucntion with some asteroid mining

We need a corporation, an international corp focused on space that brings all of us who want space to be the domain of the human race.

Who wants to start the First International Space Corporation?

edit on 13-4-2012 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I like Almond Joy's better than Mars. Mars doesn't strike me as a good choice.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

While I agree that it would be challenging for the average person, I think that really the first wave would consist of people who are tough and willing to sacrifice for a greater good. I think with the proper training and psychological pre-selection it wouldn't be a problem. Think of it as a life whose freedom comes from the group deciding for itself and providing for itself. Sure the guys on earth can shower for 12 hours straight if they want, but they can´t decide for themselves if they need a seatbelt or not even if they ALL agree for example. Mars life could become a sort of "way of life" for the colonists. The rough and tough honorable existence our ancestors lived and died living.

The value of the colony wouldn't be financial unless it was organized by a corporation competing on earth with other corporations whose worth is based on wealth hoarding. A noble quest to have humanity reborn again in the image of its finest qualities and people. That is priceless.

It is similar to the mindset of the colonists. They wouldn't go to like get rich as space miners. They would go because they are idealistic, positive and goal oriented. They would set out to conquer a new frontier in name of their species. Honor would come to mind as well as things like purpose and hope. They would want to be part of creating a new world void of the flaws (where possible) that caused them to want to leave the old one.

Rules set by the group are more acceptable than laws imposed by a few outside of the group. I think they would be proud to be masters of their destinies, albeit a simple and hard destiny to face. That type of person would actually thrive in the order THEY create. Rules or no rules, they would want the success of mars mission to surpass them and their petty need for comfort and excess.

It would be our greatest achievement. Our greatest testament to our ability and our potential. I know it will happen one day. I just wanted to be part of it. Thanks for your interest.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by prisoneronashipoffools

As, far as the question of, "Would I go if we were doing it?" Absolutely, no question about it. Even with the risks and hardships it would be a better life then sitting on this planet, slaving away just to buy more consumer goods and waste my free time with idle entertainment. It would be a life that had meaning not just for me but for our whole species as well, because as I worked to help build the colonies, I would be helping to expand the knowledge, influence range and power of our species, and help ensure the long term survival of our species. After, all heaven forbid something happens to the earth at least some of us would survive.

That is exactly the mindset that would be wanted to seed the new world. This is exactly why I started this thread. The purpose of waking up every day, even in hell is very much worth it if what you are building and working for is bigger than you or all you could possibly be on earth. You wouldn't even need to see it to fruition in your life time, it would be enough to at least try. Amen.

Oh and mars being like the new world 300 years ago is right. That's why I originally titled this thread about creating a new USA and asked if people would defend it from the old world. The colony would be independent. The colonists would be re-forged in their purpose and their dream of a world they make. Like a child you give birth to, NO ONE will tell you how it will be formed. The new world would be theirs.

I am glad you liked the thread. Maybe one day our descendants will help build mankind's future together. We seem like minded. Nice.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

I don't think a corporation is the answer unless in its mission statement and everywhere it can it pushed the idea that its sole purpose was fulfillment of the ideology and the MISSION.

I think something more along the lines of a NFP organization that transcends political and national ideologies. A sort of hope movement for all mankind. I would call it something along the lines of rebirth or new hope on a new world.

The dominion of space by man would not really be the purpose here. Earth can have the rest of the universe for now. We would want a new world without everything that has ruined this one. Dominion over anything instead of harmonious coexistence is part of the problem we have here. Eventually control is weakness since it inherently needs more and more unattainable perfect control.

No, we would want to live as free men with dignity and honor. We would want to ensure the survival of mankind in its true purpose; a sentient biologically mechanized miracle living full and happy, productive lives. Not some sort of rigid and powerful beast of a thing that can't be destroyed.

Thank you though. I guess Government involvement would be unavoidable. The thing is the new world would eventually not listen to them. They would eventually find that unacceptable and try to use force to subject the new world to the old one. History would repeat itself. It is unavoidable.

Live long and prosper! lol

I hope we are both right, that is the beauty of space, it is big enough for anything, especially both a noble and an evil. Sadly our planet is not any longer.

edit on 14-4-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by hollwd
reply to post by Juggernog

Are you SURE you would NEED A biodome on Mars. Are you SURE there is NOT an atmosphere that we can breath.. What about all the plants and trees and water, Artifacts that they do NOT want you to see..
What ever. I am not sure I would believe what they tell us about Mars..

Maybe we came from there.

There is an atmosphere on Mars for sure but its a thin one and it could have O2 in it but if it did I dont think it would be enough for us to breath.
The planet is just to small to hold onto a nice thick atmosphere, unless it has a huge core like Mercury does there just wouldnt be enough gravity to hold it.
Or i could just not know what the hell im talking about.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
to everyone else

we can live underground, I don't like bio-domes either. Underground facilities seem like the safest way to go as well as offering room for growth.

We will get internet.

We will only get Mars candy bars ferried to mars.

we will be alone there unless there is indigenous life there already. We then would ask to stay, no repeating the genocide our ancestors did in the Americas.

we will all be awesome for it!

If I missed your response sorry. I thank you for participating.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

maybe we could use genetic engineering to adapt our kids to have bigger lungs like mountain people have for thin air. I am not against the use of it. We would probably adapt eventually anyways. That would be interesting. A new type of human built for mars.

Or we could just slowly begin to use our over manufacturing skills to pollute mars until it can retain its own atmosphere like earth. I heard once that it would actually be good for mars to have all the emissions we create on earth. It would help the atmosphere to retain itself. I may be wrong, if so please correct me.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I found a great vid featuring Robert Zubrin and his argument for settling mars.

I am obsessed with this all of a sudden. Damn it. I want to go! I would clean the sewage treatment pipes or the methane ventilation system for the oxygen producing bacteria tanks, crawling around like a rat all day if I could go.

Robert Zubrin

Robert Zubrin (born April 19, 1952) is an American aerospace engineer and author, best known for his advocacy of the manned exploration of Mars. He was the driving force behind Mars Direct—a proposal intended to produce significant reductions in the cost and complexity of such a mission. The key idea was to use the Martian atmosphere to produce oxygen, water, and rocket propellant for the surface stay and return journey. A modified version of the plan was subsequently adopted by NASA as their "design reference mission". He questions the delay and cost-to-benefit ratio of first establishing a base or outpost on an asteroid or another Apollo Program-like return to the Moon, as neither would be able to provide all of its own oxygen, water, or energy; these resources are producible on Mars, and he expects people would be there thereafter

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I was wondering.

after watching that video over again, I realized something. In the end, the Q/A part. some asked why not try and get private funding for a mission to mars following this guys realistic 10 year plan? It is sound enough to work. Why then has NO ONE who has well over the amount of money needed to fund this, ever tried to claim mars?

They spend SOOO much money trying to dominate this world when really they could set the ground work now for them to OWN mars in less than a couple decades.

If I were sitting on a billion dollars and knew that between all my friends we had enough money to fund 10 missions to mars to COLONIZE it, why then wouldn't you?

TPTB could just roll in there, establish themselves without any resistance and then invite workers for building and entertainment.

They could make base camp a small town of Landers and habitats and then just invite people to begin building under it. They could do it secretly. By the time earth is worrying about who owns what they would be well into establishing a separate world sovereignty that could just say "no earthlings without an invitation"

Who would dare to invade mars if it has people living there for well over 30-40 years?

This is not science fiction. Do the research, we could live there now with our current technology.
Why then doesn't some one just do it. Fortunes like the one needed exist on earth many times over. It is just good business. Even if all they get is base camp. They can just throw a flag, establish a BS religion, and say we are Martians now. Then just sell off land to earthlings who want in.

OR

They could offer corporations a place to manufacture without any limitations. Experiment without any limitations. etc.

The possibilities are endless. There is like 100 times the amount of wealth on mars than there is on earth just in unrestricted business opportunities. Not to mention the incentive of having real-estate with some form of civilization established that can ride out any scare the earthlings could cook up.

It is like having an express pass to the Americas before the Asians crossed the over. Imagine if Cortez showed up only to find the French already there willing to sell him some food so he could turn around and go back home because he actually landed on new France! or whatever.

To think how much time and effort we have wasted here on crap when we could already have a second planet.

SECOND PLANET for our species!!!!!!

wow. we are dumb.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If we let Wells Fargo down and didn't bail them out for 25 billion we could have BOUGHT MARS for the most part.

is mars not worth more than F-ing Wells Fargo?

with the 116 billion we gave Fannie Mae we could have built the first interplanetary city in our history. WTF!

not to mention created jobs and industry for the next couple hundred years if not eternally until we die off.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
$601,447,107,758

yeah that's right. That's how much money we GAVE to bad banks and mortgage servicers. We could have saved our economies by having the balls to set out and motivate our species into becoming more than apes with cloths and guns.

with that dough we could have a viable civilization on mars now. Jobs, purpose, pride, unification under the common goal of doing things titans dream of. But no, we pissed it all away on bonus checks for 4th homes and yachts.

I just puked a little.

projects.propublica.org...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Here is a site I found that proposes the benefits of building on mars. The author proposes a domed city be built for an all encompassing approach for commercial use as well as tourism. His idea would generate large profits that would outweigh the danger of profit not being generated in the long run as well as the loss of life that might result from such an undertaking. He is correct IMO that such a venture should have the goal of permanent settlement for space tourism so the cost of such flights could be brought down and made more accessible to a larger portion of potential wallets. Not to mention that any setbacks would seem like acceptable losses if the goal offered a larger benefit in terms of profits and potential growth of the space industry.

Going to Mars first offers other financial benefits other than just tourism such as mining of Mars and the mineral rich asteroid belt. Then there are all the associated industries attached to tourism and mining that will spring up once such projects are in action. Settlement of Mars will be one of the most lucrative ventures ever entered into, and that's where space tourism and mining can serve to lay the foundation for such efforts. This is where I come to my proposal, my point. The initial project which will provide short and long term profits on a scale unimagined for all space exploration, tourism, mining and settlement must encompass all of the above criteria. It must be able to be expanded upon and serve many different functions. That is where all other smaller ventures fall short. I propose that a domed city be built on Mars that is able to hold 7500 people and will include a strong commercial sector, shopping areas, hotels, resorts, medical centres, a university, theme parks, swimming areas, parks, residential sectors, a large greenhouse area for food production, a space port nearby for the depature and arrival of tourists and industrial workers, roads leading to mines and a separate industrial sector near those mines. There will also be underground shelters to hold the population in case of dome problems and many other safety systems in place. This city will house 2500 permanent residents and 5000 tourists every day of the year. Enough money has already been wasted by government and private sector on unprofitable space ventures, and now is the time for something new, something that transcends all of these small time efforts and builds on them. It is time for a city to be built on Mars.

The city will utilize the very latest technologies and will be a real showcase for many companies to expose their products and services to a worldwide audience and to the tourists and residents of the city. How can such a project happen? Well the first thing we need is people with open minds, vision and open wallets. I guarantee there will be problems and disasters in this project as history has shown with other great projects but you need to keep your focus on the results. Thats what pioneers of old did and they also felt the satisfaction of being part of something grand, something that would stand as a monument to their vision and courage in the face of amazing odds. This is only a rough sketch of how it could be done and is flexible to change as long as those changes bring costs down and timeframes down.

www.redcolony.com...

edit on 15-4-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

This is actually a question i've asked myself many times before. I would love to go to Mars. To be free in a brand new world; to even start a brand new world. However, im not entirely sure i would go if i had the chance. First of all I am severly terrified of heights. Just the thought of being in a space shuttle, first racing higher and higher towards the atmosphere then the long trip through the blackness of space, makes me feel like having a panic attack already. That and I truly do love Earth. All of its beutiful colors, animals and ecosystems. Especially water. Mars is nice and all, but theres just nothing there yet. Nothing but "red". Maybe within the next hundred thousand years it will be nice enough to inhabit but until then I think I'll remain an "Earthling"

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I would be nice if several philanthropist pooled resources and just made it happen for the common good, and only people who think like yourself were sent, who only worked together for the good of others.
That would be wonderful.
But, as I think you kinda talked yourself into, in order for this to become a reality now, profit plays a role.
Mans greed, however ugly, is a great motivator.

I agree also that starting off underground is the most feasable option, small domes for working in, and space suits for exploration, but living quarters and most work places, underground. This requires mining, and making our living/work space in mineral rich locations is a no brainer. It will provide building materials, and precious minerals to send back to earth.

Man possibilities are endless, but we just got to get started right? I suggested a corporation, because it is smaller and simpler and way more efficient than any government. Its interests are more focused. With an elected board, and specific agendas, much can be accomplished unlike a government. But, it will require a serious organization to accomplish your goals, one man with a billion dollars (SPENT WISELY) might be able to get it done, but I don't think that is realistic.

Anyways, you are deffinately not alone with your dream, but organizing into reality, that would really be something amazing!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
mars-one.com...

Here we go!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom
mars-one.com...

Here we go!

The aliens work behind the scenes! When they think we are ready they will let us build on other planets.

www.zmescience.com...

astroblog.cosmobc.com...
edit on 9-6-2012 by IdiotSavantSurrealists because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
www.slate.com...

I might have missed if someone has posted this as I didnt read everyones replies, but thought it might interest people here.

from link :
That’s right—the Mars One colonists should expect to remain there for the rest of their lives, though the project website notes, “this is no way excludes the possibility of a return flight at some point in the future.” The settlers will have to hope that once Mars is sufficiently populated and developed, it will be “much easier to build the returning rocket there.” How comforting. (lol)
edit on 9-6-2012 by lifecitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I would want to stay here and clean up after all of the rich greedy polluters leave, it will be paradise here, and they are the only ones who will be able to afford it, so good riddance!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join