It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the tech existed to leave earth for like a mars colony, would anyone go to form a NEW WORLD?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

well, it can have whatever form of government the colonists want. They can have no government and roam the domes in packs of mad gangs like something out of mad max if they want. I just don't think they would go all that way just to act like animals.

I think if it were possible allot of people would sign up. Especially if they could choose what the new world would be like.

Even more would sign up if the tech existed to terraform it into a viable home in a couple hundred years. They would want to work towards creating a new home for the best of mankind. You know a NEW HOPE. Very Star Wars-ish

edit on 13-4-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

yes to all of them. You can even choose your profession. Hopefully it will benefit the colony.

What about government. What type of government would you accept/ help create?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I probably would, providing no insane people come along. But why does it have to be a new USA? Better to start from scratch. That name carries too much negative baggage.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by HexagonSun

sure. I was just assuming people would want to use some of the things that worked here, but yeah. A new humanity. A new start. I am game. It would be us deciding in this scenario. I say direct democracy. No representatives. Anything that affects us all, we all decide.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Maybe not Mars... On Mars there would probably be more rules than here! You know don't breathe too much that sort of thing.

But a new eden like world? HELL YES I would leave tomorrow!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ

sure. I was just assuming people would want to use some of the things that worked here, but yeah. A new humanity. A new start. I am game. It would be us deciding in this scenario. I say direct democracy. No representatives. Anything that affects us all, we all decide.

OK, Deal! When do we start?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

well this is supposing that all necessary technology is developed here on earth first. You don't have to worry about air, water, and to some extent food. Your space would limited until a viable terra-forming project was well developed. Assuming that one could be developed first and be possible to achieve real results in at least 100-300 years.

You wouldn't see the benefit really, but could be part of the first wave of brave settlers. Establish things to come and the order of the new world.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

let's get a whole country on the band wagon and convince them they need to dedicate themselves 100 % to establishing a mars colony. Like a new tower of Babel. Or a new Pyramid. Something to last throughout mankind in all its ages and be the fruit of mankind's intellect and dedication to reaching the stars.

A rich country would be nice, but hell maybe 3 or 4 poor ones and a well off one. Maybe even a global effort with its HQ in a friendly nation that agreed with the mission.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'll go. I don't care which government pays for it, what kinda government rules it.

I'll abide by the rules, and do whatever job I'm needed for/best at.

The opportunity to begin the exploration/colonization...wow...an opportunity that seems worth any risk or sacrifice!

One question, I can bring my bible right? And, if I talk to my fellow martians about whats in it, I won't get kicked out the airlock right?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

hey, whatever floats your boat. You can try and convert Martians to whatever you want. You can even make up a new religion and convert us colonists. As long as you do your part, you can do WHAT EVER you want with your free time as long as we all agree it doesn't hurt the group. Mary gays, smoke stuff, drive your rover without a seat belt, eat pure pigs fat while preaching about how cute Hitler was. You may be alone on some things, but if you only hurt yourself, we won't care.

Welcome new earthling to our dust bowl we will make into Eden.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ

hey, whatever floats your boat. You can try and convert Martians to whatever you want. You can even make up a new religion and convert us colonists. As long as you do your part, you can do WHAT EVER you want with your free time as long as we all agree it doesn't hurt the group. Mary gays, smoke stuff, drive your rover without a seat belt, eat pure pigs fat while preaching about how cute Hitler was. You may be alone on some things, but if you only hurt yourself, we won't care.

Welcome new earthling to our dust bowl we will make into Eden.

Ok, thanks. I'm there dude. uh, one thing, is there gonna be some form of police force or what? If people are doing whatever they want on their free time, do I need to watch my own back or what? I mean I got no ill intent toward anyone, but a free for all, as I've seen from our local occupy movement result in heavy drinking, drug abuse, and rapes. I hope, there is a plan to provide some sort of security for the those who are there for exploration, not just escape from the current governments.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

sorry didn't see your post. Yeah man. Of course a security force. We would chose the guide lines and all officers would be approved by a committee of the civilians they are to protect. If those are your talents then you could enlist. The first wave of settlers might not need more than a dozen security people since the initial population would be small.

The first wave would be chosen on earth and have the most authority. Appointment to committees would be based on time spent serving the community, no bought and paid for politicians on new earth mars colony. I guess team leaders that organize the mission would be the founding fathers so to speak. They should only be chosen a couple years before launch.

The initial security force would consist of military personnel from the host country of launch as officers, then enlisted from all participant countries. They should pass extensive psychological screening BEFORE being accepted for mission training.

oh and weapons would be limited to non accelerant based projectile weapons at most. The domes being the main concern. If the colony is built underground like I would want it wouldn't matter, no guns where possible.
edit on 13-4-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I dont think that I would want to live in a bio-dome for the rest of my life, breathing recycled air and drinking water that was yesterdays urine.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I understand the sentiment, but it wouldn't work, at least not at first. Today, in the western world, at least (just not sure about elsewhere) you can lead a relatively free life if you keep quiet and do your own thing. Everything is provided for you. If you use cash you can be almost anonymous. If you can avoid the usual traps or marriage and family, life does not have to be expensive. You might not live in total luxury, but you can get by.

On Mars your labor would be necessary to keep the colony alive. You'd be under contract and some sort of UCMJ that is harsher than our laws here. You would not be allowed to deviate from the accepted norm because it would be too dangerous for the other colonists. You'd be under a great deal more accountability than you are here.

The whole idea of a colony is to make money and send it back to the mother country. There would have to be some value to mining Mars to justify all the expense. You would also have to find a way to become self-sustaining. Right now that means expensive machinery. On the other hand, if Mars could be terra-formed it might get to the point where it could be self-sustaining. The first wave, however, would not have that luxury.

For those interested, there's a fun book out called: How to Live on Mars: A trusty guidebook to surviving and thriving on the Red Planet that describes whet you might encounter.

Also, for a splendid political and technical read, Moving Mars, by Greg Bear is really a wonderful despiction of Mars as a colony attempting to break away from Earth.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I would only go when they have the internet hooked up to the one here on earth. gaming would be impossible but atleast i could watch youtube videos since im guessing mars isnt the most entertaining of places

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Besides that .

. I BELIEVE that we / TPTB are already on Mars and the Moon.. and that THEY/WE have either some kind of Space Travel that would blow our minds if we were LET IN ON THE SECRET.or the STAR GATE. I BELIEVE that is why they did away with the FOR SHOW SPACE PROGRAM.. why waste money to just pretend. When they needed it to screw us even more than they do now. I BELIEVE we know NOTHING about what our WORLD POWERS THAT BE have already.I BELEVE that is why you can NOT get a real GOOD picture of the Moon or Mars but they can show you detailed pictures of the Moons of all the other planets. I BELIEVE all we SEE IS A LIE... from the HISTORY of our World to the News on our TV of what is happening in OUR PRESENT.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Interesting thread OP.

Though I would say they technology already exists to colonize space. We actually developed the formulas and base systems needed for space travel and colonization in the sixties. It actually doesn't take anti gravity or advanced technology to begin moving humanity out in to the solar system to colonize it. The sad fact is it's not a lack of technology it's a lack of desire and leadership on the part of humanity and I would add a lack of intelligence in our species in general. After all we would rather sit on this planet and fight over dwindling space and resources and let our leaders continuously talk about the idea of population reduction, then to begin laying the foundations and do the ground work for establishing full scale colonies and cities in space.

As, far as the question of, "Would I go if we were doing it?" Absolutely, no question about it. Even with the risks and hardships it would be a better life then sitting on this planet, slaving away just to buy more consumer goods and waste my free time with idle entertainment. It would be a life that had meaning not just for me but for our whole species as well, because as I worked to help build the colonies, I would be helping to expand the knowledge, influence range and power of our species, and help ensure the long term survival of our species. After, all heaven forbid something happens to the earth at least some of us would survive. Not only that one thing that many of the other posters seem to forget, when they mention being enslaved in the colonies, they are already enslaved on the earth, and with about a four month travel time, it would actually probably give the colonies more freedom, because it would take longer for the earth government to move forces and exert control. It would make the colonies on mars much like the colonies of the new world;after all it took months to send ships to the new world as well, it would make them sort of out of touch with the parent government and therefore more free then here. That is with conventional technology of course.

Anyway I would go and actually I would ask all the others who would go with me, what took you all so long?

Cool thread and flag, OP
edit on 13-4-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Are you SURE you would NEED A biodome on Mars. Are you SURE there is NOT an atmosphere that we can breath.. What about all the plants and trees and water, Artifacts that they do NOT want you to see..
What ever. I am not sure I would believe what they tell us about Mars..

Maybe we came from there.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
some of our ancestors probably abandoned there for some permanent uninhabitable reason(s) and colonized earth. that would account for our unique Rh negative hominid blood as well as the doubling up of chromosomes 1 & 2 to be reproductively compatible with neanderthalsensis, erectus, etc.

does mars get strong quakes? underground/subterranean cities might be a good way to dodge big meteors.

terraforming would be fun. how long is the trip one-way, 6 months?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

I would love to go.. If it was really a frontier.. and not full up already of Locals and TPTB.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join