It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viking robots found life on Mars in 1976, scientists say

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
There's been a sort of quasi rule involving 'alien' anything and that's a 25-50 year window before it's talked about.

This was discovered almost 40 years ago.
There is a definite desensitizing and preconditioning (cleansing if you will) on this planet right now.

This information is almost subliminal to the average person who doesn't park their butt on forums like this.
But...the average person (when asked) will say they believe in life off the planet.

That wasn't the case almost 25 years ago. We were still considered black sheep for thinking so outside the box.

I think what in part is happening is, China is about to find or even disclose what they're finding on the Moon which are structures. And the United States is trying to soften the blow even though.....we're getting primed to accept this life changing moment of truth.

There has never been a doubt in my mind that not ONLY are there artifacts on both Mars and the Moon but .....Beings too. Some alien. Some Humans. I have no doubt at all that that is true.

You'll see.

Totally agree with you, i believe there has been a 'project' of sorts, working towards changing how reality is perceived by people, in the past 50 years or so, slowly but surely people have been changing, generation by generation has grown more into believing or simply accepting things as natural, while the first generation simply saw these concepts as fantastical and incredible, now we simply say well why not, is natural that life can exist somewhere else, it exists here right? and the universe is so big... and so on.

I don't think this could happen just by having some movies and books about aliens, we have movies and books about wizards and other magical things since 50+ years ago, yet no one believes in fairies, dragons or other magical creatures (well some do but lets not go into that
), also, aliens are always 'evil' in most movies, yet people tend to believe they are good guys, how so?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by robhines

what policy? the imagined one where they are hiding all this juicy info on aliens and past civilizations on other planets that would get them tens of trillions of dollars to increase their operations, instead of constantly getting their funding cut? i'm confused. NASAs budget is incredibly tiny, why would they hold back anything of such significance?

the answer is they wouldn't. some people would just like to believe that, even make up incredibly silly theories to explain it.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaifan

Originally posted by DaTroof

Critics counter that the method has not yet been proven effective for differentiating between biological and non-biological processes on Earth, so it's premature to draw any conclusions.

Misleading thread title. Lock. Ban. Delete.

Good thing you're not a mod, the actual news article on msn is titled like that, you should be Locked. Banned. Deleted instead

Ohh Really Banned Deleted you Say!! towards ( DaTroof )

how about this !

Now his Title on this Thread is Official !!

NASA’s Viking robot found life on Mars in 1976?
By Edwin Kee on 04/12/2012 19:50 PDT
www.ubergizmo.com...

Someone has been seeing this Thread and posted it on this Site ! ubergizmo

Now the Op can Revert Direct his place to this Site ... Above..

any who I have No Doubt Life Could be On Mars !! Especially Underground !

Doe ATS want to Refute Me !!!

when Some People here (like DaTroof ) does NOT do Research and Stop and think ! about !!! ...........

THIS!!!!!!!!

Earth microbes on the moon
Three decades after Apollo 12, a remarkable colony of lunar survivors revisited
science.nasa.gov...

Apollo 12 and the remote possibility of interplanetary contamination

It is widely claimed that a common type of bacteria, Streptococcus mitis, accidentally contaminated the Surveyor's camera prior to launch, and that bacteria survived dormant in the harsh lunar environment for two and one-half years, supposedly then to be detected when Apollo 12 brought the Surveyor's camera back to the Earth.[4] This claim has been cited by some as providing credence to the idea of interplanetary panspermia, but more importantly, it led NASA to adopt strict abiotic procedures for space probes to prevent contamination of the planet Mars and other astronomical bodies that are suspected of having conditions possibly suitable for life. Most dramatically, the Galileo space probe was deliberately destroyed by sending it to crash into Jupiter to avoid the possibility of contaminating the Jovian moon Europa with bacteria from earth. However, independent investigators have challenged the claim of surviving bacteria in Surveyor 3 on the Moon. (See Reports of Streptococcus mitis on the moon.)

Title: Surveyor III: Bacterium isolated from lunar-retrieved TV camera
Authors: Mitchell, F. J. & Ellis, W. L.
Journal: Proceedings of the Lunar Science Conference, vol. 2, p.2721
Bibliographic Code: 1971LPSC....2.2721M
adsabs.harvard.edu...

Yet some say ( investigators ) that it didn't happen

Our Earthen Terrestrial Bacterial Survived for 2 1/2 years and could of been More ...

Put this Animal on the Surface or Underground of Mars and I would believe
there's a Possibility that it would Survive

Tardigrade
en.wikipedia.org...

The animal that can survive the deadliest conditions in the world - The waterbear.

well with all that chunks of Ice in the Ort Cloud Field who the Hell knows..
if some life on this planet did come from there to here billions to millions to thousands of years ago that eventually became Terrestrial over the years ! and where the Ice Come from!! in the Ort Cloud ?
from other Stars

Colonization of trans-Neptunian objects
en.wikipedia.org...

Ten Mysteries of the Solar System

by Ian O'Neill on August 18, 2008
1. The Oort Cloud

The outer reaches of the Oort Cloud is pretty much the edge of the Solar System, and at this distance, the billions of Oort Cloud objects are very loosely gravitationally bound to the Sun. They can therefore be dramatically influenced by the passage of other nearby stars. It is thought that Oort Cloud disruption can lead to icy bodies falling inward periodically, creating long-period comets (such as Halley’s comet).

edit on 13-4-2012 by Wolfenz because: thought i was finished ...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
So is this link in the initial post supposed to be godly or smth? All sorts of crap is written on the net, whatever scientists say is being exaggerated in articles. There is no discovery other than the one a decade ago found which however was not certain was even a microbe. This 'article' can be got over with. /Thread

That;s why limiting the freedom of what you say should be done, call it press freedom if you like. Because of that hoaxers exist, and all misleading crap. leaving people in confusion.
edit on 13-4-2012 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
what Im thinking is

if a distant Star went supernova and the Planet it had ... that had Life On it
and the Debris from that Was Lively ( Say Bacterial ) planet became Icy Comet, Meteors Asteroids etc..
that eventually came Contact to Our Realm of the Ort Cloud Field then Other bombardment from other Novas Super Novas etc..Debris hitting the Ort Cloud like they were on Billiards Table

is it Possible ? I would like to believe so ...

I Call it Seeding ... Eventually Our Solar system will do the same to Others!! Bringing life to Others Stars

well The Proof of bombardments is on the Face of Our Moon and Planets

Something in our Great Ancient Past has Happened

The Possibility's of how go Here is Endless by exploding Suns to Civ type 3 Beings

but that I Have Problems is ! a Word called...

Isotope

Every Planet and Star ( Sun) & Its Materials has a Signature ! ( Thumbprint )

to make it Terrestrial or Extra Terrestrial !

Unless ET Isotope can become Terrestrial over Time ... ?

any Scientist can say that it Could ??

edit on 13-4-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have never doubted for one moment there is life on Mars. For my money I would like to send a probe to Olympus Mons. It is the largest volcano in the Solar system. I think you would find some very interesting things there including life at bacterial level and if you dig down you will found even more exciting things too. Regarding Disclourse, we have certaintly been on a Cosmic Journey Project. Timothy Good spoke of it in his book Ailen Liason. I would say we are now well into Stage II. Next step will be Oh look we have picked up a signal from ET. Obama will have fun with that one or if he loses the next election his successor. First Contact with the hallowed Landing on the White House Lawn scenerio will follow next but I dont think that will happen for another 30 or so years yet. But hey I would be happy with the Signal First Contact. The best part? Turning round to all those who laughed at me for being "simple" or "weird" or simply just with "head in the clouds" and say I told you so! THAT will be very satisfying indeed!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEnlightenedOne
:

a) If you choose once again to distance yourselves from this, why so? Who are you protecting?
b) why does it seem like you promote ignorance about life beyond our planet instead of giving us some truth?
a reply,

blah, blah and blah.

First off, the issue that there were experiments made on Mars in the late 70s to determine life which were INCONCLUSIVE is not new. It's something known for many decades already.

One experiment confirmed life, the other was inconclusive. By double and cross-checking results, SCIENCE came to the conclusion that there was not enough evidence.

An inconclusive experiment means: IT COULD BE, IT COULD NOT BE. We are, excuse my english, just not fricking sure since the experiments we did with Viking did not produce a clear result.

You are "attacking" Nasa saying they are "promoting ignorance"...or whatever other wild theories you might come up with..while in reality they just did the sensible thing.

What do you expect? They announce "LIFE FOUND ON MARS!" in the papers while the experiments would simply not give enough evidence for this? As in..based on speculation as opposed to being 100% sure based on FACTS and the outcome of the experiments?

By writing such a letter you just make yourself look like a fool. I don't think that science has ANY AGENDA WHATSOEVER to "hide" such a finding...but they have a legitimate right to say there is likely no life if they do experiments and the outcome does not 100% confirm is. EVERYTHING ELSE is speculation.

You will get the answer next time they send a probe up there with proper experiments, and if the new experiments will (hopefully) be conclusive and wont leave room for error. In the mean-time, you can of course continue with your conspiracy speculations etc...but won't make you look less ignorant and foolish.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Viking robots found life on Mars in 1976, scientists say

www.msnbc.msn.com

New analysis of 36-year-old data, resuscitated from printouts, shows that NASA found life on Mars, an international team of mathematicians and scientists conclude in a paper published this week.

Further, NASA doesn't need a human expedition to Mars to nail down the claim.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4/12/2012 by dbates because: Edited title to reflect article

New analysis my butt, they knew it back in '76, just more lies.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
blah, blah and blah.

And blah blah blah to you too, thanks!

Originally posted by flexy123
I don't think that science has ANY AGENDA WHATSOEVER to "hide" such a finding...

Same, but I think there's people out there that have an agenda to hide such findings that scientists make. It even has its own name, "muzzling". Here's one instance, even though it's an unrelated topic : Ottawa ‘muzzling’ scientists, panel tells global research community

Anyway, I already said I thought it was stupid to do what I did, if NASA e-mail back I'll apologise too, I was in a bad mood, and thought, and I still do think, that they'll make sure to distance themselves from this whilst at the same time trying to make it clear that they don't believe they found any evidence. So not only will they deny any responsibility for what this thread is about, but they'll also take a few shots at it before they're done too in an attempt to discredit it.

Let's just see where this ends up anyway, and let's hope I'm completely wrong.

Anyone else, please pm me if you want to comment on my daft e-mail, and sorry again, for being human. I just think they're about to once again, stop us from having hope and truth, and when it's one agency doing that to basically the world, well I can never explain how much it gets my back up, but will just have to deal with it in a better way.
edit on 13-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

This article give credence to the fact that NASA and all it's little programs should be suspended, shut down the whole thing.. I'm representing all the folks who are now "DEAD" who could of had this information, to enjoy the fact that "we are not alone" while they were alive!!!!
I really believe one day some other Country is going to say: HEY!!! we found Life or artifacts on the moon/Mars, why didn't nasa mention this or, how come they didn't see this !!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

We could have biodegrade plastic like substances from hemp or mushrooms but noone will look into or fund it because its illegal or does not make the oil company's money .. We could power the WHOLE world by putting Hydro electric generators in the Ocean to capture the momentum of the Waves to create energy .. to hell with damns ... there is constant waves in the ocean... But that would mean they could not bleed us dry for precious substances ... And tell me this .... WHY has there not been a Motor created for the MASSES that does not use Gasoline in Liquid form ... but uses the VAPORS .... when Gas burns its not so much the liquid BUT the vapors that burn .... YOU know they could and have created a motor of some sort that could blow the vapors to push the pistons up and down.. its a mild explosion that causes a motor to run any way... I'm sorry for my rant but I'm so pissed off ...*The way WE all let these SCUMs*

Did you vote for the green party last time there were elections?

Oh wait..you didn't...such as 99,9% of the population of the US who gave a hoot and voted for Bush or whoever clown is it at present.

You cannot blame "them"..if the majority of Americans is oblivious to such matters anyway...what counts for THEM is that gas for their SUV is cheap and taxes are cut...that's so far as 90% of Americans are concerned..so the blame is NOT only with the politicians, it's the people themselves.

And..uh yes that's OT, i dont even know how we got there now...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
You have homeless people on the streets, so many looking for jobs, you have a welfare society and soon the universal healthcare cost will be higher than the nation's GDP but you want MORE funding to NASA???

NASA firstly won't tell you anything they find, they are more secretive than the soviets, plus you can't afford

Come on man

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I think they have known for many decades that there was life on Mars at one point in time. But, I don't think there is life on Mars today. The planet appears to be dead.

What makes you say that?

Scientists continue to say they can see evidence of liquid water action on Mars' surface (damp areas of craters that change with saturation), and now they are saying that at least as of 36 years ago, they detected it.

Mars hasn't seemed to change all that much, so if there was life there 36 years ago, it likely still is.

Can't wait to see if more comes out about this.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I am not so worried about life on Mars(though new forms of biology to discover would be great) as much as I am worried about exploration. All this seems to want to put to rest exploration plans but I highly want a team to try to visit Mars in my lifetime.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The whole space program is a joke. I don't believe anything I hear from NASA, astronauts, scientist etc. We will never know what's going on up there. Probably nothing that we've been told.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Hottest Topic, nice one all!

About time we had a decent thread at the top again.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
You have homeless people on the streets, so many looking for jobs, you have a welfare society and soon the universal healthcare cost will be higher than the nation's GDP but you want MORE funding to NASA???

NASA firstly won't tell you anything they find, they are more secretive than the soviets, plus you can't afford

Come on man

It might give young americans something to be proud of rather than their militaries ability to destroy the world.

It might inspire bright young people to tackle science and engineering which could generate wealth rather than profitable but parasitical sectors of the economy.

The engineers inspired by the last space push are all getting old and retiring.

Increase NASAs budget a bit and challenge them to do Mars by the end of the decade. The engineers would rise to it and the next generation be inspired. The overall cost to the country would be minuscule in comparison to other programmes.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
For previous on NASA, anyone remember this?

"Richard Hoover has discovered evidence of microfossils similar to Cyanobacteria, in freshly fractured slices of the interior surfaces of the Alais, Ivuna, and Orgueil CI1 carbonaceous meteorites."

The NASA scientist that thought he'd found ET fossils in meteorite rock. NASA didn't like that one either, and I'm having to use a previous post from my blog for a quote because the Journal Of Cosmology is a bit of a nightmare when it comes to linking, they just write pages and don't link well sometimes :

The publication of Richard Hoover’s paradigm shattering discovery of microfossils within carbonaceous meteorites, unleashed an ugly storm of violent, histrionic invective not seen since the Middle Ages when they burned scientists for making discoveries that threatened the established order. Charlatans and quacks quickly emerged, and the media unabashedly published their ravings, recklessly casting delusional filth upon the reputations of the Journal of Cosmology and its editorial board, and the hundreds of esteemed scientists whose peer reviewed work we have published; a roster which includes two Senior Scientists Science Directorates at NASA, over 30 top NASA scientists, and four astronauts.

How can science advance if the media and NASA administrators promote frothing-at the-mouth-attacks on legitimate scientists and scientific periodicals who dare to publish new discoveries or new ideas? Skepticism is natural. Doubt is healthy. But science cannot progress under a cloud of intimidation and fear.

Link : Journal of Cosmology - Hoover Paper

Link to the actual paper which has commentaries from respected scientists : journalofcosmology.com...

And a related thread from here on ATS : www.abovetopsecret.com...

If that all came to nothing, you can bet this will too if they don't like it.

edit : Wow, was that the shortest hottest topic duration ever?

Thread on NASA's response to the Hoover paper anyway, just found it : www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 13-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelligence101
[NASA...blah blah] We will never know what's going on up there. Probably nothing that we've been told.

That's the reason why NASA is and always has been pretty active to engage a lot with kids and schools, actually making it possible for school kids to have experiments on the Space Shuttle etc..etc.. as well as websites and all kinds of educational material? So..they do this so "we will never know", right?

Did you know that NASA has

marsed.mars.asu.edu...

a Mars education program

>>
Overall, the goals of MESDT are to:

Expand the opportunity to perform authentic Mars research with high school students;
Provide education and outreach to as broad an audience as possible;
Include as many diverse groups as possible;
Take student-directed research to the next level.
>>

This is just ONE random example where they invite and attempt to actually engage and educate people.

Or what about

quest.nasa.gov...

>>

NASA Quest Challenges are FREE Web-based, interactive explorations designed to engage students in authentic scientific and engineering processes. The solutions relate to issues encountered daily by NASA personnel.
+ Read More
LCROSS Back-to-School Special
A year after LCROSS impacted the Moon in search of water, scientists are ready to share the results of that mission. Watch the Webcast!
+ Read More
PRODUCTS
NASA Quest offers a wide range of FREE online tools and resources for teachers, students, parents and others including Web and print lesson plans, educator guides and workbooks:
>>

etc..etc...

But...yeah, you see how NASA is actively "hiding" everything from us, this is the reason everyone can go on countless websites and GET EDUCATED.

By the way, in the late 90s, when they re-imaged the "Mars Face" with the MOC (Mars Orbiter Camera - correct me if i am wrong) they transmitted the images "live" and made them immediately available for anyone on the internet. I remember how excited i was, they didn't even process them but instead made it possible that millions of people could see the pictures right the moment they took them.

Why do they do this? Why (actually) did they even bother to re-image the mars-face...if their ALLEGED agenda is to hide everything...why do we even have mars images..why can you even go on a virtual mars tour in Google mars or on countless websites, digging through ZILLIONS of images with incredible high resolutions?

Ah..right..because NASA is so busy "hiding" anything, this is why you can download Gigabytes of Mars/Moon etc. images to your computer right now....this is why we have the privilege that millions are spent on Mars probes..and then YOU and ME can benefit from the findings, look at the images and results. It doesn't even cost a penny, all you need to have is a curiosity and their findings an images are openly accessible for anyone.

Why should they even do this in the fist place? Oh right, because they are so ultra secretive?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think it's ridiculous to think or say that there is no life in the solar system outside of Earth...Ludicrous

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join