It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Google and Censorship In China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Google, the famous search engine has censored its results to not show those site censored by the Chinese government. A third party research firm, Dynamic Internet Technology Inc, has found that Google leaves out certain results if it is blocked by China. Searches from the United States show those sites. Officials at Google have admitted that they recently decided to omit blocked results for searched originating in China. They claim that the do not want to frustrate users with links they are unable to reach. "Google has decided that in order to create the best possible search experience for our mainland China users we will not include sites whose content is not accessible," company spokeswoman Debbie Frost said Friday.�

From its inception, Google has promised to be a model Internet company. From its slick office just down the street from me, to its quick and efficient searches, Google has pledged to �Do No Evil�. Censorship is above all one of the most evils that a oppressive government can inflict upon its citizens. Despite its explanation, Google is in effect a party to censorship in China. Censorship is indeed rampant in countries like China, Iran, North Korea, and until recently Iraq. Does Google want to be associated with these regimes as well. Do they intend to comply with the censorship rules in these other countries as well? Will they at the insistence of the Chinese government censor searches in say Hong Kong? How would American citizens feel if Google would block searches to Republican Candidates or Democrats?

One of the tools that the Chinese government uses to control its population is censorship. The censorship can be two ways. Keeping information from the people and keeping its information from the world. Sometimes this censorship can have fatal results. In the case of SARS, the government squashed any and all reports until a courageous doctor blew the whistle on the story. He payed for it by serving time in jail. How many people in other countries died because of it? Censorship covers up the barbarism and atrocities in Tibet as well. Most importantly of all citizens of China are unable to access news that has not been approved by their government. It is important that the average Chinese citizen be aware of other events and other opinions that are NOT in line with their government. I call upon the directors and founders of Google to stop the aiding and abetting of the Chinese governments censorship efforts. Global communications allow an exchange of ideas and principals on an unprecedented level. This is only possible in an uncensored environment.

Thank You
FredT

Related News Links:
story.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 24-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Here we have the average ignorant american.

How would American citizens feel if Google would block searches to Republican Candidates or Democrats?

What makes you think they don't.

People in China probably think the same way you do. ie: Poor Americans not getting a chance to watch Farenhiet 9/11.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Lol, and where is this news?

China has blocked sites and has had content filters on all internet traffic ever since the internet was made available there.

Google is doing the right thing imho. Expanding their bussines to a huge part of the world population and obiding by Chinees laws(up to a certain level, you can still search whatever you want it you have some netsmarts)

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
Here we have the average ignorant american.
People in China probably think the same way you do. ie: Poor Americans not getting a chance to watch Farenhiet 9/11.

Hmmm, I don't know anybody who wanted to see the movie could. In as far as the fact that view me as an "average ignorant American" should I simply write you off as a brainwashed stooge of the ChiCom government propaganda department?

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Its not google blocking the sites, they just make it easier for them to browse so they don't have to goto tons and tons of "restricted" sites, to find what they are looking for.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Huria86
Its not google blocking the sites, they just make it easier for them to browse so they don't have to goto tons and tons of "restricted" sites, to find what they are looking for.

I do get that. However, it simply smacks of capitulation. Let the people see what they cannot get and maybe, just maybe, they may start making demands of thier government that leads the way to changes.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I guess this is what happens when you make your stock Public.
(ok get me for my one liner)

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
[Hmmm, I don't know anybody who wanted to see the movie could. In as far as the fact that view me as an "average ignorant American" should I simply write you off as a brainwashed stooge of the ChiCom government propaganda department?

FredT, Your posts are always well written and sensible.

The fact that most foreigners (and some Americans) believe the average American to be stupid or just ignorant truly riles me up. From what I've read, it was in fact Lions Gate Entertainment that was trying to prevent the sharing of the movie and neither Moore nor the Bush administration. If the U.S. were truly blocking information on the internet, then how could all of those who oppose the government on so many issues have any ammo for their arguements? In fact... I downloaded the movie about 2 days ago. Sheesh.

websurfer.. before you go calling anyone "ignorant" you may want to make the effort to do some research and avoid appearing ignorant yourself.

top topics

join