It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible Isn't Stupid, We Are

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by netgamer7k

Originally posted by xxThexGreatxEscapexx
The bible has a ton of contradictions. You'll never get anywhere with it unless you learn the original language the bible was translated from. Latin and Greek, Leo Tolstoy did it.

It has zero contradictions, and if you find contradictions you don't get what you're reading. You don't need to buy books, or attend Bible college, or attend seminary and become a doctor at this, to know how to study the Bible. If you start reading, God will teach you along the way on how to study the numbers, colors, language structure, prophecy, what Scripture calls similitude that is Bible typology, and symbols; He will teach you these things. How to compare spiritual things with spiritual things; how to see something here and to compare it to there. The one rule on how to study Scripture is to open the Bible and start reading.

The Bible has been translated from Hebrew, Greek and a little bit of Aramaic in Daniel to English. The OT and NT are the most common ancient texts throughout the world, no one can deny that. To claim it has been changed through the centuries is simply false, because we would be able to identify where and when it was changed due to the massive number of copies.

WRONG !!!

No matter what targets the Christian zealot paints around what arrows...

No matter how much twisting and turning of Scripture verses they use in order to MAKE their explanations "fit" a quandary...

No matter the squirming machinations they put the Bible through to ensure that their "answers" solve the equation...

In the end 2+2 can not equal 63 !!!!!

If there are no contradictions in the Bible then please prove this man wrong.
Many have tried but none have ever succeeded.

edit on 6-4-2012 by lapi7 because: additional content

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bitsforbytes
reply to post by illuminnaughty

I don't know about you but the 10 commandments are pretty clear!

As for the rest well look at it this way: give a book of advanced mathematics to a kid and you will see him ask 1001 questions. Much like we are with the holy books. If men wrote it then why do other men have such a hard time understanding it? Why have we not learnt from the lessons they teach? Thy shall not kill. Big puzzle there huh?

What we struggle with is the end of days or other revelation that God Himself says we will never know until the time is right. So sit back and let us follow the ten commandments and we will be fine.

But we want all the answers now! I want Google to give me the meaning to life! NOW! Please. Patience is a virtue best acquired by waiting. The answers will come in time, I hope.

Which 10? The Catholic (Christian) and Hebrew versions are different. I go with Hebrew since it's the original. Well, not the original but close to it. The ORIGINAL is Chapter 125 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead - 1400 years before the Hebrew 10 commandments.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by enzomedici
reply to post by Starchild23

The bible is a ridiculous book. If you are over the age of 10 years old and still quoting the bible, then you are an idiot.

So, you have within the limited confines of your skull the true meaning of the Bible? You know this for a fact, and can explain it to us?

Please, if you can sell it to us, try.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by enzomedici

The bible is a ridiculous book. If you are over the age of 10 years old and still quoting the bible, then you are an idiot.

Although I personally have to agree with you in that the Bible is a "ridiculous book," I would also have to point out that it was the source of many historical and even some scientific discoveries. Men with high IQ's and open minds are able to decipher the Bible without adding their own opinion and emotion to the mix. Many of the stories are literal stories from times before written history - it's just an unfortunate truth that so many people cling to it today as if a book has the power to allow their "magically-bound-soul" to rise to heights beyond their lesser peers around them, who do not think the same way.

Apologies for the harsh words, Christians.

A Yupik Eskimo once asked a preacher - "Would I have been damned to this 'Hell' if you had not brought Jesus Christ to me?"

To which the preacher replied - "No, my son. You would not have been able to be either saved or damned without knowing of the good lord. If you do not know Jesus, then you cannot be judged as one who does."

The Yupik Eskimo, Dumbfounded, Replied - "Then why did you bring Jesus to me?"
edit on 6-4-2012 by thegagefather because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleSun

As for the rest well look at it this way: give a book of advanced mathematics to a kid and you will see him ask 1001 questions. Much like we are with the holy books. If men wrote it then why do other men have such a hard time understanding it? Why have we not learnt from the lessons they teach? Thy shall not kill. Big puzzle there huh?

What we struggle with is the end of days or other revelation that God Himself says we will never know until the time is right. So sit back and let us follow the ten commandments and we will be fine.

But we want all the answers now! I want Google to give me the meaning to life! NOW! Please. Patience is a virtue best acquired by waiting. The answers will come in time, I hope.

Which 10? The Catholic (Christian) and Hebrew versions are different. I go with Hebrew since it's the original. Well, not the original but close to it. The ORIGINAL is Chapter 125 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead - 1400 years before the Hebrew 10 commandments.

Actually, the Torah's 10 Commandments are not the original, as it is know that Moses was given many, many more commandments than 10, but they were chopped off by the church/temple at a later date because... And yes, this was their reason... "There were too many."

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

You have a point in saying that we are part of a greater system that we will probably never fully understand, but to me it takes an unacceptable leap of faith to argue this is due to the existence if a deity.

We are ourselves the highest power, along with every other organism possessing life force; just one system sharing the same resources. If want to give the universe the name God then fine, that isn't a problem, but why then add the dogma and doctrine of Christianity, Islam, Hinduism etc.

There is certainly a natural order to things, repeating patterns to be found in life and so on. But this does not require the existence of an invisible man in the sky, watching over you and keeping track of everything you say and do. If he has his divine plan he keeps to, then what good does prayer do?

Many religious folks like to state that their chosen God is the only one there is, and all other religions in truth worship the same being, this is closer to the truth. But what you all are worshipping is the order of nature, and then also all the nonsense that man has added to it to create organised religion. However, the universe also shows characteristics of chaos, and this helps to disprove the existence of a deity in my opinion.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
- Epicurus (attributed)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thegagefather

Actually, the Torah's 10 Commandments are not the original, as it is know that Moses was given many, many more commandments than 10, but they were chopped off by the church/temple at a later date because... And yes, this was their reason... "There were too many."

So now one of the most fundamental elements of modern Christianity is a known lie?

Since when do priests have the right to interrupt their most-important god's instructions?

Here is proof that the Bible was overseen by hypocrites.

However, I maintain my belief that religion is merely one face of the war on entropy...saving our sorry butts from extinction.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Star & Flag for you my brother.

Finally...somebody actually gets it.

A so-called Christian who I know once told me:

"Wake up !

All of this love stuff is effeminate.

Our job isn't to love people. Our job as CHRISTIANS is to share the Word of God so that people who hear about it can receive the good news of what Jesus Christ did and be saved by Him.

This IS the work of Love in the first place.

Keep relaxing the way you do and you will soon reap the consequence of being lukewarm.

Didn't Jesus Himself say He would spit you out of His mouth?"

I almost fell out of my chair...I replied to him:

OUR JOB ISN'T TO LOVE PEOPLE????

WHAT BIBLE ARE YOU READING???

I will keep you in my heart that you TRULY turn to Christ and become saved.

"By their fruits you shall know them" --Mt. 7:20

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law." --Gal. 5:22-23

You display very little, if any, evidence of possessing these fruits!

It is NOT my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who I disbelieve...but as the self-righteous Pharisees who thought that they too could do no wrong, and understood the law fully, as Christ did "correct" them so do I in all good conscience of the Holy Spirit attempt to speak sternly and with fortitude to you that as I do not know all things AND NEITHER DO YOU. And to smugly sit in your palace of arrogance and complacency believing that you are correct in ALL THINGS pertaining to The Word, Christ, God and His Holy Spirit so do I (as did Christ) warn you quite sternly to examine your place in the Body with all humility, love and patience towards others who believe differently than you do!

To you Christs teachings deal more with the strict and legalistic adherence to YOUR interpretation of proper doctrine, systematic theology, exegetical theology, eschatology and binding legalities of Scriptural interpretation.

To me Christs MAIN teachings deal with love!!!

Yes...Divine Love.
I DO believe that it's all about Love, and for that I make no apologizes.

"...You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. And the second is like it: you shall love your neighbor as yourself' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets" (emphasis mine)
--Mt. 22:37-40

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God: and EVERYONE(emphasis mine) who loves is born of God and knows God.He who does not love does not know God, for God is love."
--1 John 4:7-8

"If someone says, 'I love God,' and hates his brother, he is a liar;..."
--1 John 4:20a

Regarding your so-called knowledge, interpretation and practice of Scripture according to the WORD that you claim to believe love STILL comes first...NOT DOCTRINE!

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and I understand all mysteries and have all knowledge,(emphasis mine) and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but I have not love, it profits me nothing." (emphasis mine)
--1 Cor. 13:2

God judges the measure of our love for Him based upon how much love we show to others!

Paraphrased: "...Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. for I was hungry and you fed Me; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me."
-- Mt. 25:34-37

Paraphrased: "...Depart from Me, you cursed into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angles:
for I was hungry and you fed Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; I was naked and you did not clothe Me; I was sick and you did not visit Me; I was in prison and you did not come to Me..." "And these shall go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous (My note: Those who by their works, not their knowledge of doctrine, scripture and church attendance, showed love and compassion) into eternal life."
--Mt. 25:34-46

I'll state it once last time: It's about Love !!!
Yes...Divine Love.

I DO believe that it's all about Love, and for that I make no apologizes.
You stick with your emphasis on fighting and debating your unalterable, unquestioning, legalistic approach to scripture, doctrine and systematic theology.
And I'll stick to my "effeminate Christian" ideals of Christ’s love...and on that Day we'll see what we shall see!"

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegagefather

The original given to Moses was destroyed. The other set was actually the second set given to Moses and was changed from the original. So it even goes deeper, which set of 10 commandments from the original Hebrew do you want to follow? The other "commandments" as seen in Leviticus are not given by God, they were written by the priests. So the full 613 Commandments were not written by "God". Ugh. What a mess. Thankfully those who wish to truly know the truth can decipher it for themselves if they take the time and effort to know what they want to believe in.
edit on Sat Apr 7 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

[SNIP]

First off, it's not a "Confederate flag" it's actually the Southern Naval Jack. Perhaps you should properly school yourself prior to making unfactual and completely inaccurate historical assumptions.

Secondly, you dare to make such an unlettered, ill-conceived, biased judgement on my motives, life, heart and soul?
And you think I'M the racist ???
How do you know I'm not black ???

Perhaps you should actually READ my post about Divine Love for ALL MEN first.

Then it would be wise to apply the little sub-title under your user name "War on stupidity" to yourself my friend.

edit on 6-4-2012 by lapi7 because: additional content

edit on 4/6/2012 by dbates because: Removed quoted text

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

The original given to Moses was destroyed. The other set was actually the second set given to Moses and was changed from the original. So it even goes deeper, which set of 10 commandments from the original Hebrew do you want to follow? The other "commandments" as seen in Leviticus are not given by God, they were written by the priests. So the full 613 Commandments were not written by "God". Ugh. What a mess. Thankfully those who wish to truly know the truth can decipher it for themselves if they take the time and effort to know what they want to believe in.

The commandments are just words of advise from another people, from another space, time, or perhaps even dimension.

We SHOULD have transcended the need for them by now, as society is thousands of years old, giving up plenty of time to sort out our petty squabbling over who's right and who's wrong. Who's deserving and who's damned.

Perhaps it is religion which allows us to remain closer to apes than homonids - because it allows us the illusion of superiority while simultaneously allowing the ones who think of themselves as superior to CLAIM that we are all equal as god's children.

Lastly - Those "original" 10 commandments are not the original at all. The ones you're refering to are the originally unaltered 10 chosen, the current 10 were altered to coincide with the law of the land at the time.

However, there were originally (supposedly) over 600 commandments.

www.therefinersfire.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

Every time someone sporting a confederate flag says "Finally, someone actually gets it"
A racist angel gets it's wings.

As a southerner, I take great offense. The Confederate flag is not about race or slavery. Anyone who knows history knows that. It is not about racism, it is about heritage - we founded this country as much (if not more than) anyone else did. Jamestown, the birthplace of our nation is located in a Confederate state. Even President Lincoln stated many times that the war was not about slavery. But then again, you probably think Lincoln freed the slaves too if you believe that a confederate flag has anything to do with racism.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The commandments are just words of advise from another people, from another space, time, or perhaps even dimension.

We SHOULD have transcended the need for them by now, as society is thousands of years old, giving up plenty of time to sort out our petty squabbling over who's right and who's wrong. Who's deserving and who's damned.

Perhaps it is religion which allows us to remain closer to apes than homonids - because it allows us the illusion of superiority while simultaneously allowing the ones who think of themselves as superior to CLAIM that we are all equal as god's children.

Lastly - Those "original" 10 commandments are not the original at all. The ones you're refering to are the originally unaltered 10 chosen, the current 10 were altered to coincide with the law of the land at the time.

I said that. There are 613 of them. And I stated they aren't the original and that they were ripped from the Egyptian Book of the Dead. = )

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Just for fun, here's commandment 330 - 361, all relating specifically to marital affairs and incest.

N330 Leviticus18:7 No relations with one's mother
N331 Leviticus18:8 No relations with one's father's wife
N332 Leviticus18:9 No relations with one's sister
N333 Leviticus18:11 No relations with step-sister
N334 Leviticus18:10 No relations with one's son's daughter
N335 Leviticus18:10 No relations with one's daughter's daughter
N336 Leviticus18:10 No relations with one's daughter
N337 Leviticus18:17 No relations with a woman and her daughter
N338 Leviticus18:17 No relations with a woman and her son's daughter
N339 Leviticus18:17 No relations with a woman & her daughter's daughter
N340 Leviticus18:12 No relations with one's father's sister
N341 Leviticus18:13 No relations with one's mother's sister
N342 Leviticus18:14 No relations with wife of father's brother
N343 Leviticus18:15 No relations with one's son's wife
N344 Leviticus18:16 No relations with brother's wife
N345 Leviticus18:18 No relations with sister of wife, during wife's life
N346 Leviticus18:19 No relations with a menstruant
N347 Leviticus18:20 No relations with another man's wife
N348 Leviticus18:23 Men may not lie with beasts
N349 Leviticus18:23 Women may not lie with beasts
N350 Leviticus18:22 A man may not lie carnally with another man
N351 Leviticus18:7 A man may not lie carnally with his father
N352 Leviticus18:14 A man may not lie carnally with his father's brother
N353 Leviticus18:6 Not to be intimate with a kinswoman
N354 Deuteronomy23:3 A mamzer may not have relations with a Jewess
N355 Deuteronomy23:18 No relations (harlotry) with a woman outside marriage
N356 Deuteronomy24:4 Remarry not your divorced wife after she has remarried
N357 Deuteronomy25:5 Childless widow marry none except late husbands brother
N358 Deuteronomy22:29 Divorce not wife, that he has to marry after raping her
N359 Deuteronomy22:19 Divorce not wife, after falsely slandering her
N360 Deuteronomy23:2 Man unable of procreation (eunuch) not to marry Jewess
N361 Leviticus22:24 Not to castrate a man or beast

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

Every time someone sporting a confederate flag says "Finally, someone actually gets it"

As a southerner, I take great offense. The Confederate flag is not about race or slavery. Anyone who knows history knows that. It is not about racism, it is about heritage - we founded this country as much (if not more than) anyone else did. Jamestown, the birthplace of our nation is located in a Confederate state. Even President Lincoln stated many times that the war was not about slavery. But then again, you probably think Lincoln freed the slaves too if you believe that a confederate flag has anything to do with racism.

As as someone who understands the nature of the power cord, as well as that little red 'x' in the corner of the window, I can only laugh at this.

Your region of birth is dust in the wind compared to a subject that has started more wars, and taken more lives, than you have cousins.
edit on CFridaypm454525f25America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

reply to post by lapi7

As as someone who understands the nature of the power cord, as well as that little red 'x' in the corner of the window, I can only laugh at this.

Your region of birth is dust in the wind compared to a subject that has started more wars, and taken more lives, than you have cousins.
edit on CFridaypm454525f25America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

reply to post by lapi7

It actually does have a lot to do with racism.
And Lincoln actually did free the slaves.

He cared more about keeping the country together, but it was ALWAYS part of his agenda to emancipate the slaves, especially since the rest of the world already had emancipated their slaves at the time.

You can argue this, but it just proves you haven't done the research or (more likely) you're decidedly ignorant.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lapi7

I feel like you're yelling at me.

Are you yelling at me?

Surely not.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I said that. There are 613 of them. And I stated they aren't the original and that they were ripped from the Egyptian Book of the Dead. = )

Well, they actually were written by "god" since he would have existed previous to the Egyptian Book of the Dead, and if he actually had a "son" who did all the fantastically magical stuff Jesus did, you probably know how the God "Horus" mirrors Jesus of Nazareth in nearly every single aspect of their recorded lives.

This is just another reason why I believe these were literal stories from ancient times.

Stories, which at the time changed the world in such an immense way, that we still talk about them today. It's just unfortunate how we can take stories in a book and delude ourselves into thinking it allows us the right to murder someone else... Especially when RIGHT THERE IN THE BOOK it says THOU SHALT NOT KILL (even muslims)

That refering to the Bible, of course. The Koran tells it's followers to lie to and murder all nonbelievers of Allah and (perhaps - I'm not sure about this last bit) the prophet Muhammad.

Not that it matters though, Christians and Muslims do the EXACT SAME THINGS, it's just one is a hypocrite about it while the other blatantly celebrates the negativity of it's institution.

Both blindly follow the words of their obviously man-appointed (and not god-appointed) leaders.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join