It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible Isn't Stupid, We Are

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by football6
Everything you speak of OP, is great. These are good things you are saying. However, the fact remains that the bible is a man-made book. Every word in the bible was written by people. These are merely good lesson stories, if anything at all. You can certainly let it guide your life, but understand that if you let it be in control of your life, you are putting yourself under the control of man.

If we don't have something to guide our lives, how do you expect us to survive morally?

Are we capable of guiding ourselves? I don't think so.
The Bible is more about propaganda than actually being a moral compass. If you want a religion as a basis for morality, then look no further than Buddhism and similar paths. The whole philosophy is about how one should live to be truly benevolent. And it works - not a single death in the name of the Buddha, or any other crimes against humanity. It's one of the most peaceful religions in the world, no doubt. But Christianity and the Bible has far too much confusion and political dogma, and once you pick that off of the bones, there's not much left but some of the sayings of Jesus for the most part. Probably the most important thing you can take from the Bible is "God is love." Not fear, not damnation -- l o v e.

There's not enough in there. No. Not nearly enough for me - far too many loose ends. I had to look elsewhere and I'm glad I did because I'm a better person today than I was before. I used to hate/mock (not a whole lot but I admit I had some) when I was a Christian, no more though. There's nothing I can hate in the world, because hating anything is hating what we are, where we came from, and where we're going. Respect and love all, even those who's views differ from your own. Saying people are going to a hell for eternity for not believing a religion is childish and ignorant, sorry. We draw our own conclusions, such is life, such is the grace of love.
edit on 6/4/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs
Atheism is more logically sound than Theism in one important way.

The absence of empirical evidence of a God or Gods.

Atheism lacks the empirical evidence that there is not God or Gods.

Theism lacks the empirical evidence that there is God or Gods.

What they have in common? Ism.

Ism: action, state, condition, doctrine, thing finished or done.

In short, we exist.

What's the point in adding anything to our ISM?

It ism fine just the way it ism.

One can be sitting in my garden and tell me the bush behind me is on consumed in fire. I can deduce without turning around that it is not so. How? No evidence that it is on fire. No smoke. No heat. No smells. No weird shadows being cast. God is like this flaming bush, a story that was told with no smoke, heat, smells, or shadows.

While I see what you are saying, I will tell you that you have overlooked one point:

God, in this case, is the bush, not the story.

If someone says the bush is on fire, it is because the person is telling a lie.

You turn around and see the bush that is there, and you see it is not on fire. Yet, the bush is still there. Maybe you planted the bush from a seedling bought at a nursery, maybe your grandparents planted the bush, maybe the bush germinated from a seed dropped by a bird as it flew over, hundreds of years ago.

The point is, you may not know exactly how the bush originated, but it is there nonetheless.
edit on 4/6/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

the Christian Bible is a playbook for those who willingly accept the Gospel Virtual Reality paradigm
each actual actor creates this alternative reality/morality play role for any number of different reasons
~ their price of admission into this 'theater' is 'faith & belief'....

the old adage that Ignorance is bliss applies here, not because of a skewed knowledge of facts
but rather being unawares that the role they engage in, is both contrived and an artifical fantasy role which only has relevance to the rest of the cast of believers... their brethern

the 'dungeons & dragons' since 1500 bce till the present

It is unfortunate you believe this, since the control and manipulation, despite its immorality, is a necessary tool.

They needed to give us a story about where we came from, which explains why we have rules.

They needed to use that story to tell us rules, in the most basic way of all: legends. The Bible is a book of legends.

They also needed to convince their priests that the tale was real, in order to sell the story. They would use real characters from real places, and get their testimony before changing it to suit their needs. Of course, they would have to wait for about 300 years so the people could die off. Couldn't have them ruining a perfectly good story.

In fact, it may have been Peter himself who began the corruption of the Bible...there is a rumor that Mary Magdelene was meant to carry on the church, but Peter stole the chance from her after Jesus died. In a fit of pique, he could have rewritten the portions concerning her, then gotten used to it and changing everything else. Could it be Peter who started the corruption?

In any case, real people in real places. Except they hadn't the faintest clue what was being written about them. And so, the entire Bible could be fabricated...but suppose the information was cryptical, or maybe added in later? What was taken out of the Bible, in fact? Maybe so much more would be revealed if we read every book that was originally submitted for inclusion...find out what the rules really meant, or perhaps settle once and for all that the book is a load of tosh!

And yet imagine a world without religion. A world without faith. A world that survived strictly on numbers and logic. We would become a narrow-minded society, completely militant, unthinking zombies, following the commercial system and putting in hours just to pay for their own products and give their hard work back to the system. Or, on the other end of the spectrum, you have full-blown chaos and anarchy, a national meltdown.

People without this faith have no guidance, and no argument against moral or existentialism. They have no proof that there is a purpose, or that there is anything beyond death but a black void. They lose momentum, or they lose sight of their moral compass. They lash out, they binge, they fall off of the narrow knifeblade that is human nature and topple into the scorching fires of extinction.

That's right. Without religion to provide a homing beacon, our race would go extinct...or worse, be reduced to a handful of cannibalistic tribes utterly faithful to the War God.

This is why we need rules. We cannot govern ourselves, because we are too intelligent. We will figure out ways to depend entirely on our survival, and we register fear too clearly. In some cases this is good, but when you are on an island with a dozen other people, it gets out of control. Man cannot control himself in the matters of fear and survival. That is why we need rules...our extremist behavior. We are an emotional, impulsive species by nature. Why would you NOT tie it down a little?

The rules are not precisely what our priests think, nor would they understand the precise nature of the reality those rules govern. However, considering the Bible was written in ancient times, when a helicopter would be feared as a demon and an average soldier would be a god of war, you have to understand why it was necessary to keep matters so simple...to give cryptic messages, which could be obvious from the first read but actually have a more important meaning.

However, science has not yet caught up with what religion is attempting to comprehend, and so we'll have no real answers for a little while yet. I am hoping they begin to piece it together in my lifetime, so I may see the merging of the two greatest force of human rationale: science and religion. The marriage of purposes, the evolution of destiny. It will be an awe-inspiring moment, more so than the esteemed "I Have A Dream" speech.

And so, we are, at the moment, somewhat shy of being capable of receiving or decrypting those hidden meanings yet...thus, we remain ignorant.

Such is the way of the world.

edit on CFridayam181826f26America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

The Book of Enoch was never included, in the Bible.
Like many other little books.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Just FYI, Jesus does not mean "God is my Salvation", that may be someones interpretation, but at the time of the Council of Nicea, they chose the name Jesus Christ, to represent the composite character they had created out of the stories of several historic figures, from combining several theologies.

The name Jesus, meant "NEITHER HE NOR SHE". They used the name Christos, which referred to the title of one who is attuned to Divinity. It was a kind of title. There were many Christed entities in history before the entity Jesus was called the Christ, and this term "Christos" was well-known. Thus Jesus, NEITHER HE NOR SHE, a neutral entity that had the qualities of male and female: the tenderness of the female and the strength and determination and fierceness of the male.

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by stayhuman011
Just FYI, Jesus does not mean "God is my Salvation", that may be someones interpretation, but at the time of the Council of Nicea, they chose the name Jesus Christ, to represent the composite character they had created out of the stories of several historic figures, from combining several theologies.

The name Jesus, meant "NEITHER HE NOR SHE". They used the name Christos, which referred to the title of one who is attuned to Divinity. It was a kind of title. There were many Christed entities in history before the entity Jesus was called the Christ, and this term "Christos" was well-known. Thus Jesus, NEITHER HE NOR SHE, a neutral entity that had the qualities of male and female: the tenderness of the female and the strength and determination and fierceness of the male.

Peace

So what we really need to read, right now, is a transcript of that council meeting.

What exactly did they discuss there? Why were those decisions made?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
Atheism lacks the empirical evidence that there is not God or Gods.

No it doesn't. The empirical evidence is the LACK of empirical evidence you have that God does exist. If you tell me an elephant just walked through my garden, I can look down and see that there are no elephant tracks. I can then conclude that an elephant did not walk through my garden. God is like that.

While I see what you are saying, I will tell you that you have overlooked one point:

God, in this case, is the bush, not the story.

If someone says the bush is on fire, it is because the person is telling a lie. You turn around and see the bush that is there, and you see it is not on fire. Yet, the bush is still there. Maybe you planted the bush from a seedling bought at a nursery, maybe your grandparents planted the bush, maybe the bush germinated from a seed dropped by a bird as it flew over, hundreds of years ago.

The point is, you don't know exactly how the bush got there, but it is there nonetheless.

So, if God is like the bush, which I can look at and see, and take a clipping off of and replant elsewhere, where is God? Cut me off a piece of God and show him to me. Introduce me to God. You can't, because he is just a story.
edit on 6-4-2012 by Furbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

According to these lines, the Bible is full of "dark sayings" and "parables", otherwise known as riddles or secrets.

So far, so good.

Nothing was ever told in a straightforward manner, even if stated clearly, because their dialect differs so much from ours.

Eh, what? Sorry, man you just jumped the shark here. I can believe that the Bible has dark sayings, parables, and riddles, but I don't see how you've come to the conclusion that nothing that is in the Bible is ever straightforward.

I think a more likely option is that certain things are "hidden" while others are revealed. Here's some Bible quotes to back it up:

The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law. (Deuteronomy 29:29)

So, there are "revealed things", and they belong to the people of God (Israel).

He said, “The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, “‘though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.’ (Luke 8:10)

Again, certain things are revealed to certain people.

I'm not sure how you've drawn the conclusion that the entire Bible is one big riddle, or filled with a ton of riddles...

Cheers,
Cody

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs
No it doesn't. The empirical evidence is the LACK of empirical evidence you have that God does exist. If you tell me an elephant just walked through my garden, I can look down and see that there are no elephant tracks. I can then conclude that an elephant did not walk through my garden. God is like that.

Ahh, but what you aren't saying is that empirical evidence is subjective. If, to me, the whole world is evidence of God, but to you, I'm just crazy... this doesn't mean there is no evidence, it just means you refuse to accept the evidence I submit to you.

So, if God is like the bush, which I can look at and see, and take a clipping off of and replant elsewhere, where is God? Cut me off a piece of God and show him to me. Introduce me to God. You can't, because he is just a story.

Easy: God is love.

If you are loved by your parents, you learn how to love. You then love your friends, your siblings, your spouse, your children. The love you give them teaches them how to love, and they pass on that love to others.

So, God as a being may be a story.

But Love is real and love can be passed on and seeded and grown and seen.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

Okay, Mr. Atheist. I want you to read this aloud to yourself.

The American astronomer George Greenstein confesses this in his book The Symbiotic Universe:

How could this possibly have come to pass (that the laws of physics conform themselves to life)?…As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather Agency- must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?2

An atheist, Greenstein disregards the plain truth; nevertheless he cannot keep from wondering. Other, less prejudiced scientists on the other hand, readily admit that the universe must have been specially designed for mankind to live in. The American astrophysicist Hugh Ross ends his article "Design and the Anthropic Principle" with these words:

An intelligent, transcendent Creator must have brought the universe into existence. An intelligent, transcendent Creator must have designed the universe. An intelligent, transcendent Creator must have designed planet Earth. An intelligent, transcendent Creator must have designed life.3

Does that tell you anything? This is someone who has devoted money, time, and sweat to the study of these matters, someone who is paid to form logical conclusions from the data is collects and analyzes. What credentials do you have?

And explain to me this quote:

The calculations of British mathematician Roger Penrose show that the probability of universe conducive to life occurring by chance is in 1o to the 10,123rd power. The phrase "extremely unlikely" is inadequate to describe this possibility.

Is this number in any way unclear? The chances of this universe successfully cultivating our species were 10, multiplied by itself 10000000000000000000000000000000
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times, to one. Astronomical.

So, let me ask you this: Do you feel lucky, punk? Because you sure are.

edit on CFridayam141442f42America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

reply to post by St Udio

And yet imagine a world without religion. A world without faith. A world that survived strictly on numbers and logic. We would become a narrow-minded society, completely militant, unthinking zombies, following the commercial system and putting in hours just to pay for their own products and give their hard work back to the system. Or, on the other end of the spectrum, you have full-blown chaos and anarchy, a national meltdown.

People without this faith have no guidance, and no argument against moral or existentialism. They have no proof that there is a purpose, or that there is anything beyond death but a black void. They lose momentum, or they lose sight of their moral compass. They lash out, they binge, they fall off of the narrow knifeblade that is human nature and topple into the scorching fires of extinction.

That's right. Without religion to provide a homing beacon, our race would go extinct...or worse, be reduced to a handful of cannibalistic tribes utterly faithful to the War God.

I do not believe that would happen.

All my friends, that are Atheists.
Are friendly, and orderly.

There's no reason, a God based faith, would make any more peace.
What I conclude, is that many wars have been faught, in the name of a Religion.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomten

reply to post by St Udio

Are you going to base your entire theory of atheist society off of a handful of buddies you hang out with? Try hanging out with atheists you don't like.

As I said, narrow mind.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I agree with you.

Religion != Faith.

Religion != Goodness, Kindness, Care, or Love.

It doesn't matter what one believes or puts faith in, all that matters is what one gives to others.

If one gives only hurtful feedback, they are not giving peace.
If one gives only loving feedback, they are giving peace.

Peace cannot be found in any specific doctrine or belief; it is found in all of us.

We just have to accept one other as we are, not how we've been told everyone else should be.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkATi

I think a more likely option is that certain things are "hidden" while others are revealed. Here's some Bible quotes to back it up:

Here's your quote.

It's full of layers and clues, hints intended to be understood when the moment was right.

Here's my quote. Is your question answered? ...To be understood when the moment is right...

Sometimes, the moment is right, and the secret is revealed. Sometimes, we expect the moment to be right and believe we have captured the secret, only to discover later that perhaps we were wrong...

So, there are "revealed things", and they belong to the people of God (Israel).

This is one of those times when I call bs. Why? Because no loving god will ever favor one nation over another. It's called conditional love, which directly contradicts the Bible...as well as the god I believe in.

I'm not sure how you've drawn the conclusion that the entire Bible is one big riddle, or filled with a ton of riddles...

One, it says so. Two, it doesn't make any sense if taken literally. And three, do you have a better explanation that has support from the Bible and doesn't sound like a lot of blind faith?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminnaughty

I don't know about you but the 10 commandments are pretty clear!

As for the rest well look at it this way: give a book of advanced mathematics to a kid and you will see him ask 1001 questions. Much like we are with the holy books. If men wrote it then why do other men have such a hard time understanding it? Why have we not learnt from the lessons they teach? Thy shall not kill. Big puzzle there huh?

What we struggle with is the end of days or other revelation that God Himself says we will never know until the time is right. So sit back and let us follow the ten commandments and we will be fine.

But we want all the answers now! I want Google to give me the meaning to life! NOW! Please. Patience is a virtue best acquired by waiting. The answers will come in time, I hope.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

reply to post by St Udio

Are you going to base your entire theory of atheist society off of a handful of buddies you hang out with? Try hanging out with atheists you don't like.

As I said, narrow mind.

I am not narrow minded.

My theory is not just based on a few friends.
That was just an example.

What you see in the world, is Extremist's of different Religions, fighting to get their Religion
to be the dominant one. By Terrorising and killing people of other faiths.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Furbs

Okay, Mr. Atheist. I want you to read this aloud to yourself.

The American astronomer George Greenstein confesses this in his book The Symbiotic Universe:

How could this possibly have come to pass (that the laws of physics conform themselves to life)?…As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather Agency- must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?2

An atheist, Greenstein disregards the plain truth; nevertheless he cannot keep from wondering. Other, less prejudiced scientists on the other hand, readily admit that the universe must have been specially designed for mankind to live in. The American astrophysicist Hugh Ross ends his article "Design and the Anthropic Principle" with these words:

An intelligent, transcendent Creator must have brought the universe into existence. An intelligent, transcendent Creator must have designed the universe. An intelligent, transcendent Creator must have designed planet Earth. An intelligent, transcendent Creator must have designed life.3

Does that tell you anything? This is someone who has devoted money, time, and sweat to the study of these matters, someone who is paid to form logical conclusions from the data is collects and analyzes. What credentials do you have?

And explain to me this quote:

The calculations of British mathematician Roger Penrose show that the probability of universe conducive to life occurring by chance is in 1o to the 10,123rd power. The phrase "extremely unlikely" is inadequate to describe this possibility.

Is this number in any way unclear? The chances of this universe successfully cultivating our species were 10, multiplied by itself 10000000000000000000000000000000
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times, to one. Astronomical.

So, let me ask you this: Do you feel lucky, punk? Because you sure are.

edit on CFridayam141442f42America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

Your passage actually sends mixed messages, as Theology often does when it tries to get involved with hard sciences.

It only had to happen once, and it did. I am not lucky or unlucky, I merely am.

Not at all sure what you are getting at. Did you prove God's existence in there somewhere?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bitsforbytes

I don't know about you but the 10 commandments are pretty clear!

Did you know the Arabic edition, which is almost identical, has 14 commandments? Figure that one out.

As for the rest well look at it this way: give a book of advanced mathematics to a kid and you will see him ask 1001 questions.

We've been as far as the moon. We've seen as much as an atom...the rest is a CGI model for visual basis. We don't know exactly how gravity works, and we can't explain the supernatural.

How can we assume that we know exactly what the Bible means? Everyone has a different interpretation...why do they choose to believe in theirs? Because it's right? Because they chose it, so that makes it right?

How can something be so absolute, and have so many different meanings? How can it be utterly true, and yet be one of the most disputed materials in history?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

I did, actually.

Take a bonfire and do some studies on it. Every 4 billion times you let it burn out, and then suddenly, one time, it turns into an ice sculpture. Obviously an outside influence suddenly changed its inevitable course. Sounds preposterous, yes, but I think Earth forming randomly is preposterous. Something so intricately designed does not happen spontaneously.

"I have seen estimates of the ratio of deleterious-to-beneficial mutations which range from one thousand to one, up to one-million to one. The best estimates seem to be one-million to one (Gerrish and Lenski, 1998). The actual rate of beneficial mutations is so extremely low as to thwart any actual measurement (Bataillon, 2000, Elena et al, 1998). ... In conclusion, mutations appear to be overwhelmingly deleterious, and even when one may be classified as beneficial in some specific sense, it is still usually part of an over-all breakdown and erosion of [the] information [in the DNA]."

Genetic Entropy & The Mystery of the Genome, page 24 & 27

Genetic Entropy

Also, such odds are not even remotely close to betting odds...are you truly so blind to numbers? Those are dead chances. Someone with that probability of surviving, 1 to 10 to the 1000th power, would choose suicide because it's virtually guaranteed anyway.

Failure of our world forming was virtually guaranteed. The only logical conclusion is that something stepped in. The question is, what?

I was talking to someone recently about a tree in the woods. I pointed out how every part of it worked in sync to keep the tree alive, and how something so simple could last through snow and heat much more efficiently than man even without using man-made products. I showed out the structure was designed specifically to catch rain and grip soil, and how bugs could even exist within the tree and aid in its survival.

Man, I told the person, couldn't design something like that. If they started the genome from scratch, started with the most basic materials (atomic level, pretty much) they could not construct a tree.

If we can't do that, then what can? Something beyond our ken. Something that surpasses understanding, but exists everywhere, something with the data to create trees with a whim, completely from scratch.

We think we are amazing, but we are simpletons. We can't even build a real tree.
edit on CFridaypm040415f15America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
Ahh, but what you aren't saying is that empirical evidence is subjective. If, to me, the whole world is evidence of God, but to you, I'm just crazy... this doesn't mean there is no evidence, it just means you refuse to accept the evidence I submit to you.

Which is why peer review of empirical evidence is paramount. It keeps people from simply saying, "Look at what God made!" Peer reviewed empirical evidence says.. "Uh.. God didn't make that, here is the reason for why this happened." As man got more and more sophisticated, the believers had to continue to push back the size of God's building blocks. However, science continues to break down the doors of Theology by finding out the reason for things.

1. God made Earth flat! (Nope.)
2. God made Sun revolve around Earth! (Nope.)
3. God created man! (Nope.)
4. God created DNA! (Nope.)
5. God created the natural laws by which we live! (Nope.)
6. Well.. GOD CREATED THOSE ANOMOLIES AS WELL! *puts fingers in ears*
7-Infinity LALALALALALALALALALALALLALALALALALALALALA

Easy: God is love.

If you are loved by your parents, you learn how to love. You then love your friends, your siblings, your spouse, your children. The love you give them teaches them how to love, and they pass on that love to others.

So, God as a being may be a story.

But Love is real and love can be passed on and seeded and grown and seen.

I reject God is love, because God, according to the Bible, has caused the wholesale genocide of multitudes of cultures.

I counter God is Love with God is Genocide.

If you are taught genocide by your parents, you will learn how to kill. You will then kill any that do not conform to your ideas of what a person should be. The fear and murder you bring teaches them that God wishes them death, and they pass that death on to others.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join