It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible Isn't Stupid, We Are

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by PurpleSun

Originally posted by thegagefather
reply to post by lapi7

Every time someone sporting a confederate flag says "Finally, someone actually gets it"
A racist angel gets it's wings.

As a southerner, I take great offense. The Confederate flag is not about race or slavery. Anyone who knows history knows that. It is not about racism, it is about heritage - we founded this country as much (if not more than) anyone else did. Jamestown, the birthplace of our nation is located in a Confederate state. Even President Lincoln stated many times that the war was not about slavery. But then again, you probably think Lincoln freed the slaves too if you believe that a confederate flag has anything to do with racism.

As as someone who understands the nature of the power cord, as well as that little red 'x' in the corner of the window, I can only laugh at this.

Your region of birth is dust in the wind compared to a subject that has started more wars, and taken more lives, than you have cousins.
edit on CFridaypm454525f25America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

Who cares?
It's just blatant racism trying to defend it's blatant racism by saying it's symbol of we-wanted-slaves-and-had-absolutely-no-other-reason-to-fight-our-own-kin-but-will-say-we-did-without-giving-an-example is not racist.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

I feel like you're yelling at me.

Are you yelling at me?

Surely not.

Not at all my friend. IMO you are the one who has the Biblical admonition regarding "Love" as our entrance way into the Heavenly realms absolutely correct.

I was recounting a conversation that transpired between myself and a christian who believed that "love" had nothing to do with being a true Christian. it was him that I took such encumbrance towards.

I apologize that it came out so misconstrued...

link   
Double post...sorry.

edit on 6-4-2012 by lapi7 because: double post

link   

reply to post by lapi7

Every time someone sporting a confederate flag says "Finally, someone actually gets it"

As a southerner, I take great offense. The Confederate flag is not about race or slavery. Anyone who knows history knows that. It is not about racism, it is about heritage - we founded this country as much (if not more than) anyone else did. Jamestown, the birthplace of our nation is located in a Confederate state. Even President Lincoln stated many times that the war was not about slavery. But then again, you probably think Lincoln freed the slaves too if you believe that a confederate flag has anything to do with racism.

As as someone who understands the nature of the power cord, as well as that little red 'x' in the corner of the window, I can only laugh at this.

Your region of birth is dust in the wind compared to a subject that has started more wars, and taken more lives, than you have cousins.
edit on CFridaypm454525f25America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

It actually does have a lot to do with racism.
And Lincoln actually did free the slaves.

He cared more about keeping the country together, but it was ALWAYS part of his agenda to emancipate the slaves, especially since the rest of the world already had emancipated their slaves at the time.

You can argue this, but it just proves you haven't done the research or (more likely) you're decidedly ignorant.
edit on 6-4-2012 by thegagefather because: (no reason given)

You clearly do not know history. Lincoln did not free the slaves, the Congress did. Yes, Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation which liberated the slaves in the rebellious states. But it did not liberate the slaves in the slaves states like Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri and Delaware (which did not secede from the union). Those slaves remained slaves. Lincoln's ambition was to save the Union, not liberate slaves. His decision to issue the Emancipation Proclamation was political (and some might say "symbolic" only).

Moreover, since the only affected states were in the Confederacy, (where Lincoln's proclamation would obviously be ignored) it had no real effect.

Slavery was not abolished until the adoption of the 13th Amendment. And that was passed by Congress (not Lincoln) and adopted by the states after Lincoln's death.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

As someone who graduated college in 3 years, attended Georgetown University School of Medicine and member of the Prometheus Society, I congratulate you on understanding the nature of power cords (an elementary concept). Perhaps when you can debate with me over "ontic" vs. "epistemic" interpretations of quantum states I won't need to dumb down my intelligence to have a conversation with you.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

It actually does have a lot to do with racism.
And Lincoln actually did free the slaves.

He cared more about keeping the country together, but it was ALWAYS part of his agenda to emancipate the slaves, especially since the rest of the world already had emancipated their slaves at the time.

You can argue this, but it just proves you haven't done the research or (more likely) you're decidedly ignorant.

You clearly do not know history. Lincoln did not free the slaves, the Congress did. Yes, Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation which liberated the slaves in the rebellious states. But it did not liberate the slaves in the slaves states like Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri and Delaware (which did not secede from the union). Those slaves remained slaves. Lincoln's ambition was to save the Union, not liberate slaves. His decision to issue the Emancipation Proclamation was political (and some might say "symbolic" only).

Moreover, since the only affected states were in the Confederacy, (where Lincoln's proclamation would obviously be ignored) it had no real effect.

Slavery was not abolished until the adoption of the 13th Amendment. And that was passed by Congress (not Lincoln) and adopted by the states after Lincoln's death.

I know a lot about history.

Lincoln issued the Proclamation under his authority as "Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy" under Article II, section 2 of the United States Constitution.[3] As such, he had the martial power to suspend civil law in those states which were in rebellion. He did not have Commander-in-Chief authority over the four slave-holding states that had not seceded: Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland and Delaware. The Emancipation Proclamation was never challenged in court. To ensure the abolition of slavery everywhere in the U.S., Lincoln pushed for passage of the Thirteenth Amendment. Congress passed it by the necessary 2/3 vote in February 1865 and it was ratified by the states by December 1865.[4]

It was LINCOLN who PUSHED for the THIRTEENTH AMENDMENT. NOT CONGRESS.

If you think it wasn't Lincoln, you're wrong. Plain and simple. The idea that Lincoln was not mainly responsible for freeing the slaves, and ALL OF THE SLAVES is a growing movement by Southern Sympathizers.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
i am an atheist and can concede that religion has done a lot of good for the world (though i don't deny it has done a lot of bad). idc what religion (or lack thereof) someone follows as long as they are a reasonable person with a reasonable worldview. if you are a Christian who hates homosexual, or even believes they shouldn't be allowed to marry; if you are a Muslim who believes that people who turn away from Allah should be killed; if you are a Jew who is an apologist for all the evil that has been committed against the Palestinian people in Israel, and know full well about it, but refuse to recognize these atrocities because of some religious duty to support the Israeli state; if you are an atheist who looks condescendingly on religious people and finds everything they think to be second rate simply because they choose to believe in something you feel is irrational, then you, my friend, are a bigot. however, these people are only marginal examples of the types of people who exist in this world. most people today are reasonable and tolerant. if we understand that, we can all get along and this will not be an issue.

to sum this up, do i feel Christianity is irrational, in all its forms that i am aware of? absolutely, just as i expect them to feel my beliefs are. am i tolerant, however, of them and their beliefs? absolutely, especially considering the fact that someone is a Christian tells me very little about them.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

As someone who graduated college in 3 years, attended Georgetown University School of Medicine and member of the Prometheus Society, I congratulate you on understanding the nature of power cords (an elementary concept). Perhaps when you can debate with me over "ontic" vs. "epistemic" interpretations of quantum states I won't need to dumb down my intelligence to have a conversation with you.

What does MODERN medicine have to do with philosophy?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lapi7

reply to post by lapi7

First off, it's not a "Confederate flag" it's actually the Southern Naval Jack. Perhaps you should properly school yourself prior to making unfactual and completely inaccurate historical assumptions.

Secondly, you dare to make such an unlettered, ill-conceived, biased judgement on my motives, life, heart and soul?
And you think I'M the racist ???
How do you know I'm not black ???

Perhaps you should actually READ my post about Divine Love for ALL MEN first.

Then it would be wise to apply the little sub-title under your user name "War on stupidity" to yourself my friend.

edit on 6-4-2012 by lapi7 because: additional content

I see that you consider your point so weak that you do not have the intestinal fortitude to either acknowledge my reply or offer me an apology. Yet you have the unmitigated gall to go around labeling, defining, demeaning and judging the hearts, motives and souls of other people whom you don't even know? You paint ALL things in terms of "black or white" only. (no pun intended) If you are ever called out for jury duty God help the defendant if he or she does not look, act, sound like or wear the "appropriate" clothing or have the "proper" demeanor to suit you. For you the case would be over before one word of testimony was heard...yet I'M the "racist" !!!

You are a hypocrite of the first class with an ego the size of a Brama Bull.
I choose to maintain my dignity. This matter bears no further discussion!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lapi7

You do realize you are raging over an internet connection, right?

Highly effective. Almost as effective as unplugging the tower and going out for a beer.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Demigodly

Thank you for explaining that bit for me. I just couldnt get my head round that part of it. A guy and a woman. Two male sons and ones kills the other one. Then go`s off to find a wife.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

A certificate on the wall doesn't make you a genius. It makes you a master at regurgitating facts obtained through rote memorization.

Basically, your degree is a sycophant award. That's how it always is.

Besides, this is off topic. Please continue discussion as related to Biblical materials and its accuracy.
edit on CFridaypm010104f04America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

The Prometheus Society has nothing to do with philosophy. It is an IQ society. 1 in 50 pass the Mensa test while only 1 in 30,000 pass the Prometheus test. In terms of intelligence, we are the top Top 0.0001% (99.9999th percentile; 1/1,000,000) in the world each member with an average IQ of over 171, sd15 / 176 sd16.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleSun

So you're a member of this Prometheus Society?

And if so, what can you bring to this table of enlightenment?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

First off, it's not a "Confederate flag" it's actually the Southern Naval Jack. Perhaps you should properly school yourself prior to making unfactual and completely inaccurate historical assumptions.

Secondly, you dare to make such an unlettered, ill-conceived, biased judgement on my motives, life, heart and soul?
And you think I'M the racist ???
How do you know I'm not black ???

Perhaps you should actually READ my post about Divine Love for ALL MEN first.

Then it would be wise to apply the little sub-title under your user name "War on stupidity" to yourself my friend.

edit on 6-4-2012 by lapi7 because: additional content

I see that you consider your point so weak that you do not have the intestinal fortitude to either acknowledge my reply or offer me an apology. Yet you have the unmitigated gall to go around labeling, defining, demeaning and judging the hearts, motives and souls of other people whom you don't even know? You paint ALL things in terms of "black or white" only. (no pun intended) If you are ever called out for jury duty God help the defendant if he or she does not look, act, sound like or wear the "appropriate" clothing or have the "proper" demeanor to suit you. For you the case would be over before one word of testimony was heard...yet I'M the "racist" !!!

You are a hypocrite of the first class with an ego the size of a Brama Bull.
I choose to maintain my dignity. This matter bears no further discussion!

Riiiiight. Well despite your very hurting WWF inspired hit to my ego, I'll go ahead and point out the dignity you keep intact is indeed knee-deep in racism.

The Southern Naval Flag, Hm?

Funny how the South Specifically came up with their Naval Flag for the Civil War.

There were only three flag designs adopted, with later, minor variants made to those designs, that served as the official national flags of the Confederate States of America and used during its existence from 1861 to 1865. Since the end of the American Civil War, personal and official use of Confederate flags, and of flags derived from these, has continued under some controversy.

The state flags of Mississippi and Georgia are based on Confederate flags. The flag of North Carolina is based on the state's 1861 flag, which dates back to the Confederacy and appears to be based on the first Confederate flag. The flags of Alabama and Florida appear to be of Confederate inspiration, but are actually derived from the Cross of Burgundy flag, which flew over the territory of Spanish Florida.

Oh, and I did respond to you earlier, I just didn't press "quote" next to your name.

So cool - You're just represent the Southern State's powerful, world-class Navy. Oh wait - They don't have one.
So then I guess you must be representing the Navy of 1861. Oh wait - They were useless, in fact, one of the leading causes for the south losing was the fact that they were so easy to embargo via the sea!

Well, I'm sure you have your reason. It's just, until you actually give me a valid one that isn't "NUH UH! IT'S NOT RACIST!"
I'm going to care about offending you just as much as you care that your flag offends black people.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

reply to post by PurpleSun

So you're a member of this Prometheus Society?

And if so, what can you bring to this table of enlightenment?

I already shared. Try to keep up with the group.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by eboyd

Just remember not to base your atheism off of any arguments involving God not acting the way you would expect a god to.

After all, we know next to absolutely nothing about God, and the little bit we do know, we haven't realized yet. It's a very, very, very long process.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

You do realize you are raging over an internet connection, right?

Highly effective. Almost as effective as unplugging the tower and going out for a beer.

I'm not raging at you whatsoever my friend.

When you asked if I was yelling at you I replied back to you the following:

"Not at all my friend. IMO you are the one who has the Biblical admonition regarding "Love" as our entrance way into the Heavenly realms absolutely correct.

I was recounting a conversation that transpired between myself and a christian who believed that "love" had nothing to do with being a true Christian. it was him that I took such encumbrance towards.

I apologize that it came out so misconstrued... "

Sorry for any misunderstandings...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

reply to post by lapi7

No **** the Prometheus Society isn't a philosophical organization.

Guess what, I went to college too, and I control satellites for BOEING, NASA, and many other customers.

You don't need to dumb anything down for me.

Epistemology Listeni/ɨˌpɪstɨˈmɒlədʒi/ (from Greek ἐπιστήμη (epistēmē), meaning "knowledge, science", and λόγος (logos), meaning "study of") is the branch of philosophy concerned with the nature and scope (limitations) of knowledge.[1][2] It addresses the questions:

What is knowledge?
How is knowledge acquired?
To what extent is it possible for a given subject or entity to be known?

In philosophy, ontic (from the Greek ὄν, genitive ὄντος: "of that which is") is physical, real or factual existence.

"Ontic" describes what is there, as opposed to the nature or properties of that being. To illustrate:

Roger Bacon, observing that all languages are built upon a common grammar, stated that they share a foundation of ontically anchored linguistic structures.
Martin Heidegger posited the concept of Sorge, or caring, as the fundamental concept of the intentional being, and presupposed an ontological significance that distinguishes ontological being from mere "thinghood" of an ontic being. He uses the German word "Dasein" for a being that is capable of ontology, that is, recursively comprehending properties of the very fact of its own Being.
Nicolai Hartmann distinguishes among ontology, ontics and metaphysics: (i) ontology concerns the categorical analysis of entities by means of the knowledge categories able to classify them. (ii) ontics refers to a pre-categorical and pre-objectual connection which is best expressed in the relation to transcendent acts and (iii) metaphysics is that part of ontics or that part of ontology which concerns the residue of being that cannot be rationalized further according to categories

Both of these philosophies are heavily criticized, so I'm sure your debate on their nature, and their relevance in our lives, would be fairly based in opinion - and not fact.

Anything else your college brain would like to be corrected on?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

edit on 6-4-2012 by thegagefather because: Double Post!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join