It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Device Makes Wheelchairs Obsolete

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+73 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This Amazing Device Just Made Wheelchairs Obsolete for Paraplegics (Gizmodo.com)

The young man in this video looks like he's riding a Segway. But Yusuf Akturkoglu was paralyzed after falling from a horse five years ago, and he's being mobilized by an amazing device invented by Turkish scientists. It's going to change lives.

It's called the Tek Robotic Mobilization Device, and it not only allows people who can't walk get around more independently than any device has before, but it also helps them stand up on their own, which is crucial for maintaining basic health functions in people who have spinal cord injuries.

Robotic support brings freedom to paraplegics - Tek RMD

This 'robotic support' device looks fantastic, like a James Cameron version of the Segway.

From Tek RMD (Robotic Mobilization Device) - TekRMD.com

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

IIRC Dean Kamen who invented the Segway also invented a snappy assist chair that can climb steps, lift you to the top cabinet etc.

Yep!

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Very cool! I found myself at the beginning of the video thinking "that's nice but how easy is it to get "in" this thing" then it went on to show how easy it was. Really a game changer for folks that are wheelchair bound. I would think this would be at the top of the list for mobilization being that it allows them to stand or sit....that alone is huge!

Thanks for the thread.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
all i have to say, it's much more dignified, than rolling around looking at peoples ass and balls all day.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This is incredible!!!!!!!

Way to go, science!

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Looks like they are around $15K USD for one and went on sale in turkey last month. Story I read says they will be available to US and Europe soon.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
And here we were in middle school making fun of all those kids that were playing with robots. Seems they us didn't they?

Very cool though. I couldn't imagine being in the position of those people, and it's great that people are solving the many challenges they are facing.

edit on 3-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Truly wonderful, but I doubt anyone without medical could afford such a device.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Well since we live in a world run by money, and the value of money is worth more then human life.
what i think they forgot to mention was that you need to be rich to own it.

Or take out a bank loan
or wait 20+ years for the price to go down.

edit on 3-4-2012 by Fisherr because: wired error.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Or you could hold a fundraiser and apply that towards the cost.

My cousin has cancer. She's in her twenties. Last month they had a benefit fundraiser and raised over 37,000 dollars.

Don't let the cost deter you. Yes, it's expensive, I'm sure. But how much money does the insurance companies pay in terms of treating complications that occur from laying down non-stop? This could be considered preventive care and may even save insurance companies $$$...meaning they will gladly endorse it.

And, of course, in the next few years there will be other versions to hit the market, thereby hopefully bringing the cost down.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
That is awesome!!! I watched a show years ago in which they were working on a wheelchair that could raise people up to a standing position and many of them were brought to tears at being able to see and communicate with people at eye level. We all take it for granted, but having to view the world from a seated position is disconnecting and borderline humiliating. It would be great to see that become a thing of the past

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Simply amazing...this is how technology (and BRAIN) must be used, only for people welfare. S+F

I also believe money is not the issue and who needs such a fantastic device shouldn't be afraid of the costs and start some fund raising actions. Thanks for sharing, OP. Very appreciated.

Hundroid

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Seriously unimpressed.

This is like touting the newest car that gets 100 MPG.
I would say the same thing.
I refuse to be impressed with trickled down technology that placates us and causes us all to stand in wonderment.

Regrow that dudes friggin' spine, then I'll be impressed.
Give us a car that runs on magnetic motors, then I'll be impressed.

Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.

How about a new 'procedure' that makes wheelchairs obsolete?
Now you've got my attention.

Nice thread though, your heart is in the right place op.
Sorry to be so negative.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Starred and flagged.

This made my day.

So much doom and gloom and now this.

Nice to see such a handsome, young man able to get up, get out and be independent.

I feel for him having a spinal injury but now with putting modern technology to good use, he has found some freedom.

Thank you for sharing and bringing some hope and happiness into my life.

Nice to see people that are physically restricted now have real options - we need to be pouring more money into this type of research vs the military.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I seen something better than this in the works.
It was like robotic al legs you could walk up stairs and you bend your knees.

but nice find OP

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

My guess...if you were a quadriplegic or confined to a wheelchair, you'd be more impressed.

I'm not insulting you, just pointing out a different perspective.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Always glad to see such innovations, thanks

Here is a relative thread on Bionics that will be used to assist the disabled with mobility. It seems this Segway will be available sooner and probably cost less. Man if there anything should be free, it is these devices that can make such huge differences in people's lives. I would much rather some of my taxes go to these efforts than war.

Peace,
spec

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Wow, this is amazing! I bet it also does wonders for one's self-confidence as well. The user can feel more in control and "normal". I like that it fits into small spaces better, too! Really cool, thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Looks like it would be awesome - as long as you're on a linoleum floor. Where are the wheels?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

You refer to the iBot which is also an improvement on the wheelchair, which can go up stairs. Also a great invention, although it's pretty bulky and still keeps you in a seated position. Maybe these two inventors should get together?

reply to post by Vasa Croe

Looks like they are around $15K USD for one and went on sale in turkey last month. Story I read says they will be available to US and Europe soon.

Once manufacturing in mass start the economies of scale would reduce unit costs. What you have now is a specialty item from one source.

reply to post by SavedOne

That is awesome!!! I watched a show years ago in which they were working on a wheelchair that could raise people up to a standing position and many of them were brought to tears at being able to see and communicate with people at eye level. We all take it for granted, but having to view the world from a seated position is disconnecting and borderline humiliating. It would be great to see that become a thing of the past.

I think that's the single greatest thing about this device, being able to "stand", and interact with the world in a more dignified position.

reply to post by Screwed

Regrow that dudes friggin' spine, then I'll be impressed.

We should be investing far more effort and money in stem cell research, the perhaps one day we can regrow some dude's friggin spine! Unfortunately irrational people who fear science have blocked stem cell research.

I refuse to be impressed with trickled down technology that placates us and causes us all to stand in wonderment.

Keep in mind Christopher Reeve spent the last years of his life waiting for that great technology that would let him walk again, and he died waiting. I think he would have appreciated even an incremental step in the right direction.

reply to post by ofhumandescent

Nice to see people that are physically restricted now have real options - we need to be pouring more money into this type of research vs the military.

Couldn't agree more! Although to be fair to the military they do invest a great deal of money in medical research, due to the high number of injuries from the Iraq/Afghanistan wars. But that's only because they are also the number one proponent of constant warfare and the US defense budget is a grotesque example of corporate welfare for the miltary-industrial complex of contractors, that robs us all of our humanity.

reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Here is a relative thread on Bionics that will be used to assist the disabled with mobility. It seems this Segway will be available sooner and probably cost less. Man if there anything should be free, it is these devices that can make such huge differences in people's lives. I would much rather some of my taxes go to these efforts than war.

I would bet the first buyers/users of these devices will be institutions, then perhaps corporations and governments, that provide them to their employees, who use their own wheelchairs at home, but enter into one of these once at their workplace. Would make performing their jobs much easier.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join