It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Device Makes Wheelchairs Obsolete

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

First post in several weeks for me, but wanted to tell you that I agree. I have an uncle that is in a wheelchair, due to ischemic damage from a motorcycle wreck in which he died. This would not work for him at all, as the stability (or lack thereof) creates an equal problem for him (long story, but his arm was ripped off, and for some ungodly reason they decided to reattach it, leaving him with only skin and a major artery holding the arm to his body).

The use of technology, in the way it is currently being used (mechanical assistance) is, in and of itself, borderline humiliating. Each and every deviation from "normal" is humiliating. This device may make some folks feel a little better for the short term (emotionally, anyway), but in the long term this is just another expensive band aid. There is hardly anything revolutionary about assembling common parts into a new yet familiar configuration.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Premature to think it will replace a tool which is light portable and takes very little time to get in and out of when compared to this machine.

I see so many things that would doubt if it would even kick off to be sold in masquantitieses.. wheels to small to handle the slightesobstructionsns and it moves so slow.. Unless one has ample time in the day... and an abundant amount of patience.. not going to happen.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Awesome, although you'd need a lot of upper-body strength to use one. I wonder if Christopher Reeves could have used one. Anyway, in time hopefully they will become more affordable, as they will be a God-sent to those who can use them.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

What about people that cant stand up, Nowhere can I see this to replace my grandfather's wheelchair.

Well it's intended for people who can't stand up. That's the whole idea.

reply to post by Mr_skepticc

These things would most certainly be a fortune. I am sure the prices would be lowered with mass production, meaning mass ordering of them happens. I just don't see insurance paying for them as long as the original wheelchairs exist.

Insurance may pay for part of the cost, grants, loans, fundraising are other ways to potentially defray the costs.

For everyone complaining about the price ($15,000 USD) being too high, can I ask you what you paid for your car or truck?

Regarding it's design, I think the real potential is a marriage between this device and the Segway, which would bring it better maneuverability and an established production line.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Promoting expensive medical options by saying "insurance will cover the cost" is just another way to say, "Sure you can have it. We will ALL chip in and buy it for you." Not saying that insurance SHOULDN'T cover the cost, but knowing people who work sales in a medical related call center (processing "leads" from field salesmen), insurance will cover just about anything for anyone. But that soapbox notwithstanding....

I do some financial reporting and the payroll for a parking company. We have several lots in a few bigger Texas cities, as well as twice as many contracts for valet. One of the rules of the valet (imposed by the insurer as a risk mitigation strategy) is that if you have a car that is altered in anyway, even with a simple brake extension, your car cannot be valet parked. Imagine how humiliating it is for someone taking a date out only to be told that they cannot have their car parked (and will then have to park in an open lot several blocks away).

We are at a point where mechanical assistance has taken us as far as it will go. We need either nano or micro mechancals, or a medical solution. Anything less is just placating the "poor disabled people" while making a buck off those insurance companies (i.e, you and I).

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Sorta on topic ...

About a year and a half ago we started looking at wheelchairs for me. In the mean time, when we'd go places we'd use the local wheelchair .. like at the art museum or the Franklin Institute etc .. and my husband would push me in the chair through the exhibits. I swear that as soon as he started pushing the chair, I'd get sleepy. As much as I hated using them, they were relaxing. I now understand why babies fall asleep in strollers.

Side note - the plaquinel that I'm on has helped ease the neuropathy in the legs and so, at this time, we have stopped looking at wheelchairs and we haven't bought one. Anyways ... I don't know why I told you all that ... thought it was funny .... falling asleep being pushed in the wheelchairs ...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

i read your post, and envisioned a middle aged man pushing his wife through the mall in a wheelchair. One of the most beautiful and heart touching mental images I have had in a while. Nothing more beautiful and pure than tending to someone you love.

I'm such a sap. LOL

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Thank you for bringing us this knowledge Blackmarketeer.

I found delight in observing the eyes of the young man in the video. In them, I saw a pride he was working to take hold of. I wish him all that pride and more.
edit on 4-4-2012 by apsalmist because: Respect editby]
edit on 4-4-2012 by apsalmist because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is cool. Sure makes it easier for those ppl in chairs to do things inside. If they need something for getting around outdoors, some ppl I know created an action track chair. It's sweet. Check it out.

www.actiontrackchair.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

This is a very cool breakthrough! It looks very futuristic and efficient.

My one piece of constructive criticism- The old fashion wheelchair was a good form of exercise for handicapped people. Not only for maintaining the strength of their arms, but just general aerobic abilities. This new method seems to replace any type of labor or physical activity. I would like to hear some input from wheelchair bound people. Is propelling yourself your main source of physical activity? Does this machine provide the stability for people to do upper arm exercises? Would wheelchair bound people be willing to trade off the free aerobic exercise for this sleeker and easier way of moving around, or would you use them at varying intervals??

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I failed. Smack me. lol

I either can not aim for the right thread anymore, or it was a bug with the site ?

edit on 4-4-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

this is fantastic ..! great find OP and thanks for sharing...! s+f

im going to send this link to my wheel chair bound cousin who has cerebral palsy and cannot walk - without the help of 2 people and a zimmer frame... this could change her life ...! a bit pricey but im sure she could get some sort of funding...? or maybe they will start being manufactured en masse - that way it will be more affordable for people who have little money...
truly amazing the technology coming out these days ......

thanks again OP

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

That wheelchair was pretty cool. It's amazing watching it stand on two wheels.

Related but off topic slightly.
He also invented a water purifier that can provide clean water from just about any water source, including human waste, radiation, heavy elements, and other toxins. He demonstrated it on Colbert once (sorry can't provide a link I'm on my phone).

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

well im not a wheel chair bound person... but, sadly my cousin is. she has cerebral palsy and cannot walk at all without help... she has a light weight normal wheel chair and a VERY heavy, clumsy electric one...

i can tell you that many people i know who are wheel chair bound do other exercises anyway... for example; my cousin goes to lots of different exercise/activity classes - firstly, it means she has a larger social life (a very good one at that!) - secondly, because she goes to different classes, they exercise different parts of the body - thirdly, she really enjoys the classes, it makes her feel better about herself, and more importantly makes her happy..!

i definitely do not think that her main source of physical activity is propelling herself around in her chair... one reason is that she doesnt like it because it hurts her arms. shes only a wee thing, stands at about 4' 9", she has the tiniest arms and legs and she can only push herself around for so long... and because she does so many other activities and exercises - she has no need for that to be her main source of activity. also shes always been able to lift herself up using her arms, even when she was small... i suppose because of her being so light this helps her alot.

but this new chair looks fantastic..! im going to send her the link and see what she thinks... i will let you all know if she gets back to me with a reply

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

Unfortunately, while this is a great invention, the fact that nothing that ever makes it into production is ever 100% efficient (more profitable that way), which means that it is not a matter of if, but when it breaks down. I can not imagine the kind of funk a paraplegic would be in if it broke down in a supermarket. Especially considering the level of general apathy among people these days, so it's unlikely that people would jump at the chance to help either.

As a number of technologies go through the pipe line, those that prove more practical and can be manufactured with reasonable cost will see them come to the general market. As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, the augmented limb scaffold system offers very much normal human like mobility in a robust and adaptable format.

That can accommodate artificial, actually augmented scaffolds fitting in conformal mode that are independently powered, and can be legs, arms or a combination and unlike so many other types of artificial systems these are tied into neuro-synthetic sensors and can go anywhere any one who can us their own legs to go. The key is adaptive capacity and includes artificial limbs with tactile hands that feel as our natural ones do, or better as the military is pursuing it and poring vast sums of cash into this because of the tragic need that people loose limbs all the time in combat.
edit on 4/4/12 by arbiture because: correct spelling

edit on 4/4/12 by arbiture because: same as above

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Okay, some cool improvements, but it isn't clear that it's ready to make wheelchairs obsolete yet.

The video seems like an amateur promotion piece as they continually repeat the awkward name of the device as if anyone can remember such a poor name - perhaps they should stick with the acronym.

What the video seemed to lack or ignore is anything other than a perfectly smooth flat floor. Where was the demonstration of going over thresholds or just a step or two? At least the big wheels on a wheelchair make it easy to negotiate a step or two with a hop or assistance.

A bunch of hoopla to bamboozle the viewer from seeing the caveats.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

I'm wheelchair bound. I use a manual chair to self propel. I only have use of one arm, one leg.
I see your point and it's a very good one. For example, yes i would love these standing devices posted in this thread but it would be lazy of me to use, it's much better I try to stand on my own and use some muscle power.
Obviously being in a staitonary position isnt using any muscles. Sitting all day is bad for circulation.

I think the OP device was intended for occasional use.

Being able to stand opens up so many new avenues, besides health benefits. You can get into a smaller, more confined area instead of being left on the sides or the back of an area, not being able to see what's going on , this wouud be the selling point for me.

Being able to stand is a major accomplishment!
edit on 4-4-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Sorry to hear about that, but thank you for your reply.
It seems like this new "chair" would be very useful, and due to its electrical nature it would need to be recharged. giving people time to use their previous, more strenuous chairs.

I wonder how long the battery life for this new one is compared to the older motorized chairs. And again, whether or not they are stable enough for users to perform upper body exercise.

great invention though, next step- mechanized suits!!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
im a quadriplegic without the use of my fingers so im not likely able to use this but its pretty cool. i rather see a cure and im sure most likely there already is a cure for many things but government would lose to much money fixing a easy solution. imagine a pill to cure aids or cancer or paralyzed people all the jobs that would be gone and population increasing. just my thought

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
wow its great.
you would tip over in seconds on the british streets.
you would need four wheel dirive and Big wheels.

and if you have this in britan
you would lose All you invalid benefits.
they would say you can get about like a normal person!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join