It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA CONFIRMS Monsanto ecological Disaster: GMO Corn has bred Mutant, bT-resistant Super Bugs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 1nfiniteLoop

Nope, IMHO they just want to maximise their market share, this is from 2007..I'm pretty sure the picture is even rosier for them now. They are going for total control of all the basic food staples at bare minimum.

QUOTE: "The lack of competition and innovation in the marketplace has reduced farmers' choices and enabled Monsanto to raise prices unencumbered." - Keith Mudd, Organization for Competitive Markets, following Monsanto's decision to raise some GM maize seed prices by 35%.

The top 3 companies (Monsanto, DuPont, Syngenta) together account for $10,282 million, or 47% of the worldwide proprietary seed market.

ETC Group conservatively estimates that the top 3 seed companies control 65% of the proprietary maize seed market worldwide, and over half of the proprietary soybean seed market.

Based on industry statistics, ETC Group estimates that Monsanto's biotech seeds and traits (including those licensed to other companies) accounted for 87% of the total world area devoted to genetically engineered seeds in 2007.

The company claims that it licenses its biotech traits to an additional 250 companies. In 2007, almost half (48%) of DuPont's seed revenue came from products that carried a biotech trait. UK consultancy firm, Cropnosis, puts the global value of GM crops in 2007 at $6.9 billion.

Gene Giant's Tech Cartel:

Cross-Enabling Agreements: Anti-trust regulators (anyone out there?) in Brussels and Washington take note: The Gene Giants are forging unprecedented alliances that render competitive markets a thing of the past. By agreeing to cross-license proprietary germplasm and technologies, consolidate R&D efforts and terminate costly IP litigation, the world's largest agrochemical and seed firms are reinforcing top-tier market power for mutual benefit. The trend isn't new, but the tech cartel deals are getting bigger and bolder.

www.etcgroup.org...

According to FAO estimates 75% of the genetic diversity of crop plants were lost in the last century. A survey by RAFI found that approximately 97% of U.S. Department of Agriculture lists have been lost in the last 80 years.

Filipino farmers once grew thousands of kinds of rice. Today only two varieties account for 98% of the area sown. Mexico has lost an estimated 80% of its varieties of maize. Of 8000 traditional rice varieties being grown in China in 1949, only 50 remained in 1970.

www.primalseeds.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1nfiniteLoop

Originally posted by LadyTwoCrowns

So if this is the case, WHY is Monsanto doing it at all? What's the alterior motive?

To feed the world by keeping food production in line with population growth? Does humanitarianism count as an ulterior motive?

Uhmmm. First, what you will learn in economy class, is: Company is founded for profit. In many cases - and Monsanto is primal example - is profit in direct contradiction to "humanitarianism". Unless you see something like "humanitarian bombardment" as not contradictory. Byproduct of (not only) Monsantos Agent Orange is crippling Viet Nam babies till today. At the moment Monsanto recognize this situation and start to repair their crimes, I'll start to think about it as about "humanitarian" company.
edit on 6-4-2012 by JanAmosComenius because: syntax

BTW I created account on ATS to be able to see your activity. There is NO surprise that you are here just to promote GE/GM and/or provide a damage control for GE industry - specifically Monsanto. Feel free to ring Mods because of my accusations.
edit on 6-4-2012 by JanAmosComenius because: add

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanAmosComenius

Originally posted by LadyTwoCrowns

So if this is the case, WHY is Monsanto doing it at all? What's the alterior motive?

To feed the world by keeping food production in line with population growth? Does humanitarianism count as an ulterior motive?

Uhmmm. First, what you will learn in economy class, is: Company is founded for profit. In many cases - and Monsanto is primal example - is profit in direct contradiction to "humanitarianism". Unless you see something like "humanitarian bombardment" as not contradictory. Byproduct of (not only) Monsantos Agent Orange is crippling Viet Nam babies till today. At the moment Monsanto recognize this situation and start to repair their crimes, I'll start to think about it as about "humanitarian" company.
edit on 6-4-2012 by JanAmosComenius because: syntax

This is why I anticipate failing bioethics. I see a fundamental divide between technology and how it's applied, especially during warfare by military personnel. I can't blame Monsanto or Dow Chemical for the military's use of their herbicides and the resulting side effects any more than I can blame Albert Hofmann for the social effects and misuse of '___'.

BTW I created account on ATS to be able to see your activity. There is NO surprise that you are here just to promote GE/GM and/or provide a damage control for GE industry - specifically Monsanto. Feel free to ring Mods because of my accusations.
edit on 6-4-2012 by JanAmosComenius because: add

If I contacted the moderators each time a paranoid accusation was thrown about on a website dedicated to conspiracy theories…suffice to say, paranoid accusations come with the territory.

I wasn't aware that I was required to post to a diversity of topics irrespective of my literal or self-perceived knowledge on said issue. It sounds like if I were to discuss topics I were ignorant about it would run counter to this "Deny Ignorance" slogan. I also doubt that anybody would appreciate me highlighting any colorful opinions I might have of social issues with relevant Tim Minchin or Avenue Q songs. www.youtube.com... If you think people dislike me now, it would take little imagination to predict the animosity that I would garner if I peppered my posts with musically supported sarcasm.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JanAmosComenius

Jan,

1nfitineloop says he's a biotech student, and I believe him.... not all genetic engineering is "evil"; production of human insulin from engineered bacteria is a humane method of production that can be used by vegetarians and vegans. Yes some people may say it's not as good as pigs or cows insulin, but for some people that is preferable to killing animals.

As bacteria can reproduce asexually, once you have a simple single celled organism transformed it is far easier to ensure the cell isn't a huge mess from the transformation event, little rally billions of identical cells can come from that tested line. The process then just extracts the insulin or other medically relevant protein for use, leaving the rest behind. It is quite different from modifying and releasing multi-cellular organisms out into the environment for us to eat as a whole with all the unintended potential effects.

When I went to university, I was hoping to save the world from cancer; I really didn't know what some "for profit” enterprises have done for us.. I only found only by pure luck. Later in a different career path (switched out of disillusionment) I swallowed more codswallop for a while until I woke up and smelled the coffee....... (Thank you Noam Chomsky and some good friends for getting me to think).

edit on 6-4-2012 by AliceBlackman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Isn't genetically engineered Insulin Prescription-only and developed to treat a particular DISEASE?

What DISEASE is transgenetic transbacteroviral Corn commercially distributed for consumption by the general public, being sold in Walmart and most every grocer/supermart, meant to treat? Health?

And why is it allowed not just Over-the-counter, but completely unlabelled/disclosed? What are they HIDING??

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

To be fair, corn is arguably less likely to cause you to go into a coma than injecting yourself with insulin while not experiencing hyperglycemia.

I have to say, I like this video from that guy a lot more.
www.youtube.com...
I like his objective observations and thoughtful discussion of the subject matter. It's a lesson for the rest of us on how to stay objective and not jump to conclusions.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

This is why I anticipate failing bioethics. I see a fundamental divide between technology and how it's applied, especially during warfare by military personnel. I can't blame Monsanto or Dow Chemical for the military's use of their herbicides and the resulting side effects any more than I can blame Albert Hofmann for the social effects and misuse of '___'.

Funneling hundreds of tons of poisons to army is pure altruism
Ones again company is founded for profit and management will do anything to fulfill this goal. Corporations do not have much responsibility and Monsanto do not have any responsibility at all. That is why there are various regulators. Members of such agencies are often former Monsanto employees or contractors and often go back to Monsanto when their mandate ends.

I'm not opposed to bio-tech per se. I'll quote myself from other thread:

I think that ordinary people tend to embrace development in almost any scientific realm. It is flow in GM industry why so many people reject modern GM technology. It is not because people "hate GM without reason", people hate current GM industry. It is same reason why people hate banksters! Both are greedy bastards without responsibility but big influence on national and international scale.

You can find some reasons why I'm so angry with Monsanto in this post.

Not only Monsantos management but Monsanto scientists also are responsible for this mess. They are a) blind b) psychopaths c) evil because they must know very well that something fishy is in Monsanto "business" practice. They sold theirs souls for possibility to work in this field. Goethe depicted such fools in his famous Faust.

Let say Monsanto production is flawless (and it is not) - still Monsanto business practice is in my eyes simply criminal. So not only armies are obvious problem in bio-ethics. The head is rotten.

If I contacted the moderators each time a paranoid accusation was thrown about on a website dedicated to conspiracy theories…suffice to say, paranoid accusations come with the territory.

I do not think that accusation was too paranoid. Payed shills are standard tool of damage control. Monsanto is pioneer in this field and your activity here suggest such practice. If I'm wrong, please forgive me. We are living in bad times.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The first time I read about GMOs I thought well that's a pretty cool idea I mean in a perfect world it would help to feed people without potentially harmful pesticides and irradiating food for longer shelf-life. Only problem is one would think that before they replace 90% of regular crops with GM crops they would go through extensive testing beforehand. I guess this is not the case because with all things the competition is too great so they need to put their products on the market as soon as possible

With that said, after reading the wiki page on GM food I fear for the US. Notice the large percentage modified in US as opposed to the rest of the world in the table under the "Development" heading. If you take into account that most GM seeds might not pass extensive testing or that extensive testing might not even be necessary before they make it available to farmers I'd say the US is pretty much screwed and the rest of the world is not so far off.

For me, I started steering clear of buying supposed fresh fruit and vegetables at the super market when I realized that most fruits and vegetables are artificially ripened to compensate for the time they spend transporting it from the farm to the supermarket. For instance here in South Africa we grow lots of fruit for export and ironically because there's more money in exporting than selling locally we get the crappy fruit wile the export quality is supposedly a higher grade but what really happens, in the case of bananas, from what I've seen first hand, is that the bananas they choose for export are picked very very early so their basically inedible, as in hard and green. Now I'm not 100% sure how but by the time they reach their intended destination they're nice and soft and yellow just like ripe bananas should look while back at home we get the ones that are picked later, still green, but not so green. Now I'm no expert but I would think that naturally ripened fruit are healthier than artificially ripened.

What this means for the US is the food you grow might be potentially unhealthy (in the case of GM foods) and the food you import might not be a healthier option. Also I personally think these frozen mixed veg you get from the super market are a joke and they probably have a quarter of the nutritional value of fresh veggies.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
it came to my attention that it is being implied here n there that other stores are selling unlabelled GMO corn.

not yet true, as while GMO corn 'ingredient' may be in packaged/processed foods already,

Walmart's unlabelled Monsanto GM corn will be the first ever GM corn made available to unsuspecting consumers as fresh whole ears right on the cob in the produce section!

raw fresh sweet corn on the cob in the produce section as if it were straight from the farm like good old days.

with no disclosure the fresh corn has been spiced with bacterial and/or retroviral DNA to produces BT toxin in its cells which the consumers will be ingesting. things not found in natural corn.

edit on 14-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
just a little bump

nature always finds a way...
naturalsociety.com... soon-overcome-monsanto-as-super-rootworms-destroy-crops/#ixzz1z8qwyjh1

At least 8 populations of insects have developed resistance, with 2 populations resistant to Bt sprays and at least 6 species resistant to Bt crops as a whole

ahhhh...... thought they said it couldnt happen..and part of the problem is that monsanto is the one 'monitoring' the cases of resistance to the GM crap...i wonder how far the mutations will go? and if insects are mutating and developing a resistance..whats gunna happen to those that eat GM stuff....i feel a moive comming along

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join