EPA CONFIRMS Monsanto ecological Disaster: GMO Corn has bred Mutant, bT-resistant Super Bugs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

The FDA is the one that needs to go. The EPA is bad enough but they're no where near as evil. Monsanto would not be as powerful as it is without its FDA buddies to party with on the weekends.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
really sucks that we need some government agency to let us know that GMOs are horrible and really causing problems!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It's kinda late now to complain about this. Our focus now should be in finding ways to repair the problem. This should be paid for by the ones who created the mess and not by the American public. After the wealth of the ones that created this mess is exhausted then it will have to be funded by us. The Execs of the company need to be held liable for this and all their wealth stripped, even their bank accounts that are hidden. Our government can locate these accounts. The big investors should be investigated also if they have influence on the corporation.
Yeah right, this will never happen under our present system
Europe will probably take action and drain all their money before the USA gets any money. Europe is already contemplating suing the US government for allowing their businesses for conducting wrongful acts.
I've read articles about that. Here's a good article that I stumbled across a while ago. It's not exactly pertinent to this article but it has relevance to the business tactics. ec.europa.eu... I do much of my research in other parts of the world because they are more aware of the deceit that is happening.

I have to add that Monsanto can fix this if they want. They have some of the best minds in the world working for them.
edit on 2-4-2012 by rickymouse because: add

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
wile reading all this about the gene splicing and methods and the mutacions life has taken. its no wonder all the latest flu going around,and god knows what people are being injected with,.perhaps to tolerate the gm foods.one thing is for sure,i dont see this practice going away,it is mutating just the same,no turning back,just keep adapting to the problems that arise. it would be intresting to know what humans will be like in a millenia after our mutacions. as one said,"the gene was let out of the bottle",no turning back. i believe we are being changed as well.
edit on 2-4-2012 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
the problem is, with this, and MANY, MANY MANY other issues revolving around shotty work practices, and loose corner in the name of profit, is the profit.

Why do you think some guys in lab coats, worked for who knows how long to come up with this procedure in the 1st place, to make a virtual atm, in the process they do not care what happens, as long as they can reap the money.

Give rid of the freely unjust market, focus on quality and need, and watch things change for the better, until then I'm gonna go Amish. Go Go gadget ... aww crap.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
This is what happens when scientists know just enough to manipulate nature, but not enough to understand the devastating consequences of their actions. Monsanto allows them to splice genes and set the monstrous creations loose in the environment because they hope to take over the entire food supply and everything related to it, and the only way to accomplish that is to replace everything that is natural with copyrighted, gene-manipulated lookalikes.

Monsanto scares the hell out of me.

They know what they are doing, none of these scientists "don't understand the devastating consequences of their actions". These consequences are nature at work. if they understand how to manipulate nature,they understand how nature works. The results may be unwanted, but not unanticipated. Hitler had plenty of doctors and scientists that were willing to do his bidding, Monsanto has theirs. Some have ethics and morals, the others are employed.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
Great, just great, way to go Monsanto, now farmers cannot rely on the the natural Bacillus thuringiensis toxin naturally present in the soil to help keep earworms & rootworms at bay... because Monsanto's bT GMO corn has passed on a mutation for resistance to bT toxin to them

Great to see Mother Earth winning the war against her attackers.

I think the worms will lose their resistance and become "normal" again once the need for it no longer exists.

Sure the farmers will get a blood nose out of it before things return to normal, but that is what they get for supporting Monsanto in their war against Earth. If they didn't, this never would have happened.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

i can tell you,us humans posess the ability to not need gadgets.its just been slowly rendered useless for the dependence of external items to do the very same thing but at a price in your local walmart,lol. www. is a step down from uww.
edit on 2-4-2012 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Head of the FDA...........Margaret Hamburg! Expertise, Biological terrorism! Parents, known eugenicists!

Why in the hell is someone who has expertise in biological terrorism in charge of what we eat???? Not too hard to read between the lines is it?

Just look into the people running the FDA, USDA etc etc.... Almost all of them used to work for Monsanto!

Wakey Wakey!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The government needs to stand up and REVOKE their charter now. Enough is enough already. Unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath on that considering the past and present members within government that were past Monsanto employees and vice versa. The revolving door has been one of many things that have made our government and it's supposed representation of the people a joke. In all honesty I am surprised a government agency (EPA) blew the whistle on this.

United States of Corporate America indeed.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

This is what happens when scientists know just enough to manipulate nature, but not enough to understand the devastating consequences of their actions. Monsanto allows them to splice genes and set the monstrous creations loose in the environment because they hope to take over the entire food supply and everything related to it, and the only way to accomplish that is to replace everything that is natural with copyrighted, gene-manipulated lookalikes.

Monsanto scares the hell out of me.

What she said.

...and makes me so mad I just can't think straight.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
OP, thanks for posting.

I have a question. Is staying away from soy beans and not eating corn enough, or can we literally not eat meat because the animals are being fed GMO product, therefor GMO ends up in most meat supplies unless grass fed?

Hi, you are correct meat, including farmed fish is being fed GMO's. Also you can not assume grass fed means it was only grass fed. In addition GMO alfalfa was given the go ahead for planting last year (it's a grass feed stuff that grows really well like a weed and it's pollinated by bee's so it's going to spread fast).

www.reuters.com...

My advice is to eat more vegetarian meals to be able to afford USDA Organic meat/diary/eggs. However if the Alfalfa spreads in a couple of years it may be hard to find these items ..(at which point they'll probably push through a change to Organic standards to allow GMO's, they've already been pushing for that.)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBlackman

Wow and I thought it couldn't possibly get worse.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
We are going to have setbacks in our quests to provide food for our growing populations, this is just one of them. If we learn from our mistakes they become learning experiences. Our leaders need to learn from these kind of mistakes, they presently aren't. This neglect for rationality is what hurts us the worst. I doubt if everyone in the country wanted to change something if it ever would get changed. They would just reincorporate the process under a different name or change the laws to exclude us from knowing anything about things. We've allowed a perpetual monster to be created. I do not think our government needs replacing by any means, I think it's policies and laws should be reviewed by honest and knowledgeable people. Get rid of loopholes in the laws, they are way too confusing and loopholes allow individuals or organizations to gain power. I know, I'm a wimp when it comes to unreasonable changes just for the sake of change. Would that make me a conservative?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Not exactly news. The WSJ article is from seven months ago, though the letter to the EPA was from early March.

This is really no different from pests developing a resistance to any other pesticide. Pesticide resistance is not restricted to GM plants.

Pesticide resistance is the adaptation of pest population targeted by a pesticide resulting in decreased susceptibility to that chemical. In other words, pests develop a resistance to a chemical through natural selection: the most resistant organisms are the ones to survive and pass on their genetic traits to their offspring.[1]
source

The OP is incorrect (and terrible at constructing a sentence) when he says:

and caterpillars in subsequent generations have developed a mutant strain RESISTANT to Bacillus thuringiensis which had never yet occured before Monsanto splicing the Bt into Corn genes and upon consumption passing on a Bt resistant strain in subsequent generation.
Resistance to the Bt toxin was documented long before Monsanto introduced its product and was of great concern. From 1994:

However, resistance to Bt was documented recently in field populations of diamondback moth in Hawaii, the continental US, and Asia.

Scientists in industry, government, and academia now recognize evolution of resistance to Bt in pests as the greatest threat to the continued success of Bt.
source

There is no ecological disaster though there is a problem for those growing Monsanto's rootworm resistant corn. The problem is, there are a lot of acres planted with Monsanto's corn. There is the potential for these resistant worms to reduce production levels.

Monsanto, in an effort at damage control, has recommended the use of insecticides to protect the corn crops. The letter to the EPA says:

"Recommendations to apply insecticides to protect transgenic Bt corn rootworm corn strikes us as a clear admission that the Cry3Bb1 toxin is no longer providing control adequate to protect yield," the scientists wrote.

"When insecticides overlay transgenic technology, the economic and environmental advantages of rootworm-protected corn quickly disappear," the scientists wrote.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Foes of GM crops should actually look at this as a victory. A demonstration that GM crops are not all that Monsanto would have us believe.
edit on 4/2/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Nice run on sentence at the beginning OP.

The "natural Bacillus thuringiensis naturally present in the soil" didn't/doesn't have any effect on insects. It never had an effect as an insecticide within the soil. So if your idea is that the bt in the soil offered some sort of deterrence to those insects, and now with bt resistant insects, they've overcome that challenge and will spread like wildfire...that would be wrong.

The bigger problem could be, unless you're a Monsanto shareholder, if Monsanto's GMO products made spraying of bt on plants as a natural/organic insecticide useless.

Ecological Disaster....no, Monsanto on the other hand? Seems more likely.

edit on 2-4-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
We are going to have setbacks in our quests to provide food for our growing populations, this is just one of them.

There's one major flaw in your deduction.
Monsanto's caretakers don't give a squat about providing food to anybody. The quest is the money. More is better. No matter what the consequences are. Basically what they're trying to achieve is put mother nature on leash, put price tag and start counting incoming bucks. All growing crops, flowers, vegs and so on, belonging to Monsanto, not giving seeds.

We do know that is never going to work. Propably they know it as well. But it never hurts to try, right?

And when the # is going hit the fan, and mother nature will strike back (because what's happening now is just a teaser).... who's gonna pay the price? They or the entire human specie?

Really scary thing is that Monsanto teamed up with BASF on GMO field. Great company, that brought Zyklon-B to the humankind, and was main receiver of slave labour from a place called Auschwitz-Birkenau.
But after a war, it appeared that they were the "good" nazis, so McCloy with his power as High Commisioner of Germany let them (board members and other high officials) out of prisons (which they were send in by Nurymberg Tribunal).
Here's my thread about BASF if anybody wants to educate himself about Monsanto's brother in arms.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I wouldn't see it as a victory considering what'll come next, heavier more outlandish ways to get what they want. So this next harvest we might see additional pesticides being used since the gmo corn isn't holding back the horde.

I bet it could happen. If 99% of corn eating insects developed resistance to bt and Monsanto had to start from scratch....that whatever new genetic modification they use on the seeds, they'll leave in the bt genes. Before you know it we could be eating corn that is uselessly producing 6 pesticides that are inert and since the new genetic modification is starting to fail, 2 additional pesticides, just to be safe of course.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Now you watch what happens. See if Monsanto starts suing the other farmers and stating the study is flawed. They will claim that their crops have been infested with non Monsanto crops because of bees carrying pollen or something. They have already started some of this.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Well, I guess its settled then.

We're all going to die.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join