It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please stop posting about the most sick crimes you can find

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marrr
For all of the haters...consider this.
Perhaps the OP was simply asking you to at least take a minute before you post a reply or start a thread and think to yourself..."What am I contributing with what I am about to post"? Are you posting just to flame somebody..to start an argument...posting to get stars...or are you posting to uncover truth with your post?

This is a big part of the issue as well.

I think the central problem, is the quality of the actual people that we get on this site, now. ATS has attracted a lot of sick, angry, racist, unintelligent posters at this point...so we get a lot of sick, angry, racist, unintelligent material being posted.

That is also why said sick, angry, racist, unintelligent people object and become even more angry, when someone suggests that they stop being sick, angry, racist, and unintelligent. They don't want to stop, because they enjoy it, and they think that is how they should be.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123

Lets not beat about the bush, its not for education. People that are saying that they want to know about some crime that happens in their local area, well that one doesn't add up. You will find out about it on the local news / newspapers or on the internet, it will not appear as an exclusive on ATS.
Plus how much local news is there on ATS? This is a global site in any case.

It's exclusive if your the first one
with it on ATS.
Just like the treyvon martin case
the people on ATS were able
to circumvent the MSM and post
ALL the credible information they could find.
Finding, and pointing out the lies media outlets
have given us as news, is pretty important in fighting
the information war. MAYBE not a conspiracy to you,
but I find a HUGE cover up and false reported news
a conspiracy if there ever was one.

~PoPs
edit on 1-4-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

I'm with ya on this, there's a shock mentality and the attempt to manipulate peoples reactions. Stars and flags only help some define their own value, and doing it with gore instead of real stories of value, is a slimy way displaying your social (on ATS) standing. It used to be the avitars, the most illustrious or magnificent were thought of by the traffic here as the leaders or sages of the site. It's not censorship, it's displaying a little taste. Though there are plenty who delight in reading shock jock and Jerry Springer .....journalism......ha. There are limits to what should be printed in exceedingly bad taste, just as there are social and moral bottom of the barrel stuff unfit for print.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I think the central problem, is the quality of the actual people that we get on this site, now.

Yah, more and more I have to skip on down it seems.

ATS has attracted a lot of sick, angry, racist, unintelligent posters at this point...so we get a lot of sick, angry, racist, unintelligent material being posted.

Yah? so... skip on down.

That is also why said sick, angry, racist, unintelligent people object and become even more angry, when someone suggests that they stop being sick, angry, racist, and unintelligent.

See above.

They don't want to stop, because they enjoy it, and they think that is how they should be.

Like I said...

See how easily I dismissed what you said? Literally, since I have no control over what someone else may say, I pay it no mind...just like that (snap fingers). Even if they are offensive, they can't' offend me, cause I won't let them. If I do respond, then they win. Ignore em, go around. Saves space in your brain pan for real interaction.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leftist
Given that, people are looking at ATS and other “conspiracy” sites in a new light. We have the potential to bring back a little of the dignity that the MSM has tossed over its shoulder like a rusty tin can. But the fate of places like ATS hangs in the balance – will it become a serious news source or will it remain the “lunatic fringe” ?

Actually, Leftist, the irony is that this site's decline in quality, has been directly proportional to the growth of its' population. I've seen it happen.

This site was a much better place when it truly was fringe, or genuinely non-mainstream. The Internet as a whole has suffered as a result of the increase in its' user population. If I could have found a way to maintain the state of the net in the early 90s, indefinitely, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

And what I am trying to say to you is, that retreat is not a viable option. I wouldn't know how many times I've recently heard about moderate Muslims supposedly immigrating to the West, in order to get away from the extremist demographic; and then the extremists just follow them.

If you keep falling back and running away, you ultimately get to a point where you have no more ground left to give; and then what do you do?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I disagree with the OP. Everyone has a right to post in here. We should be allowed to have the information. If you don't want to read it, then you do not have to read it. It should be allowed to be posted though. I personally think that same news story about the human sacrifices which I read about somewhere else yesterday is a good example of what needs to be posted on this site. Just like how I read in the newspaper this morning that the state of Kansas and Missouri are planning on using a different tornado watch system this tornado season. If it works well enough to scare the people into going to a tornado shelter in the ways they hope. Then they will implement it in all other areas. They are announcing a plan of the government to do a beta test to use terrorist tactics to force people to move to safer locations. If it is successful then they will use it on the rest of the country. Hmmm! That just seems plain wrong to me. Using fear to get people to do something, they normally would do. Just remember there are plenty of things that belong here. Even your right to complain about what people post should be allowed. I however disagree with your stance and felt the need to say so.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

One and two sentence replies ("wisecracks") can kill good discussions Please be an example for our newer members and make every post matter.
ATS policy on comments that do not add to the discussion

edit on 1-4-2012 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

If you keep falling back and running away, you ultimately get to a point where you have no more ground left to give; and then what do you do?

STAND YOUR GROUND!

ATS is not an island though
or even a country.
It is outer space baby
you can't run out of ground
unless the servers run out of space
edit on 1-4-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

You need to stop running from reality. Its the real world, F'd up crap happens all day everyday. Get over yourself...big baby.

Welcome to the internet

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Well, OP I am not addicted to reading horrible stories that is an assumption on your part, that most of us are. I would say though those stories should be posted and not because I want to as you put it "oh ah" at atrocity, but because I don't want to do what you are suggesting doing, which is turn a blind eye and pretending it doesn't exist.

One of the main reasons why such atrocities go on everyday, is not because it is just human nature, but because far to many people turn a blind eye to atrocity and they pretend it doesn't exist. Or if they do admit to themselves that it happens, they acknowledge it and immediately put it out of their mind, then they turn around and fill their mind with consumerist entertainment. They blind the eye of their mind from the truth of the world and while they look away, people continue to be killed, raped, tortured, oppressed and destroyed.

Actually, reading your post, tells me that in fact instead of less of these stories their need to be more, because you seem to be getting to point you can't take it anymore, now if instead of screaming that people should stop showing the horror of the world to you, if you instead start screaming that people should stop committing atrocities, then you may actually become an awakened force for positive change in the world.

In fact, I say, people should see more of these stories, it should be shoved into their faces, constantly, they should have no respite or escape from it, until the point that the masses of humanity, become so sickened by it, that we actually stand up together and try to stop it. Ignoring it as you suggest, really changes nothing, and in my opinion, if you turn a blind eye to it, in reality, your abstinence and apathy, makes you an accomplice to all the atrocities of the world.

But, since you can escape those stories and you clearly want to go back to sleep, then as others have suggested, just......don't.....read......those.....threads.

edit on 1-4-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
maybe we could leave the forum modding to, i don't know....the forum mods. that would probably be super. if you feel a thread is out of line for this website, feel free to alert it, otherwise we have mods to determine if threads made are within the scope of ats.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have said this same essential message to myself plenty of times while browsing topics, but I don't think I could have conveyed it as well as you have here. It's like people get off on their reactions to these things and feel others must desire the same. Not me.

It's kind of like how children prefer negative attention over none at all. There is plenty of disgusting, sick news out there, and it's served up to people only because it generates revenue for the news sites (as well as keeping people distracted and passive).

I doubt this will make a dent in the number of stories like these, but at least those of us who object to it know there are others out there like us.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42
I doubt this will make a dent in the number of stories like these, but at least those of us who object to it know there are others out there like us.

There are, my friend. There are.

BTW, you might want to check out this thread as well, at some point...as one example of some of the truly great stuff which people are still posting here at times.
edit on 1-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

And what I am trying to say to you is, that retreat is not a viable option. I wouldn't know how many times I've recently heard about moderate Muslims supposedly immigrating to the West, in order to get away from the extremist demographic; and then the extremists just follow them.

Well the thread idea was what do we do about the "noise" on here. My answer stands. Don't overreact , pay no mind. A persons opinion only bears the weight we give it. If negative, then feeding into that is well...

However, if they follow you home and (finding you there) they are going to kill you for your opinion then...
Don't overreact pay, them no mind. They may in fact take you out and nail you to a cross. What to do. Don't over react, forgive them as they drive nails. Easy to say... if you do you resist the temptation to become like them i.e., you win.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
Please stop reading them.
Your gonna drive yourself crazy.

You can't. The thread titles alone are enough. You can't browse through topics without hearing about all the twisted, sick stuff people demand to hear about. It just makes you want to stay in your house and never leave or go on vacation because all you remember is the gruesome trash news you hear about on a regular basis.

It's the same reason I wouldn't watch the news, because you can't filter out all the negative stuff that drags you down. That all has a negative impact on our minds, and some of us have obviously had enough of it. So, we end up having to choose no news if we are to avoid things like this.

If we had client-side filtering options (ones operated from the computers of individuals, so it wouldn't soak up ats server processing power), we could filter out the things we rather not hear about. Of course, that doesn't exist. It doesn't even exist on any major news site I know about, so until someone (one of us with concerns?) develops something that allows this, we're stuck digging through the dumpster of news to find what we're looking for. At the same time, I realize this is all a matter of personal taste and opinion, so I am in no way trying to speak for the entire site or proposing ats step up and enforce anything. I believe 100% in options and freedom of information.

But, I'm with you OP! Time to take out the trash and cleanse our minds!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I stopped going to the Breaking News forum a long time ago. People flood that forum with the sickest, grossest most sensational headlines they can find for stars and flags. The topics don't even relate to "ATS niche topics like UFO's, government secrets, etc." and the articles are copy+pasted from all the main stream news sites.

edit on 1-4-2012 by freelance_zenarchist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I absolutely and totally agree with you. It is because of posts of that nature that ATS has become nothing more than an extension of the MSM that suffers from the illusion of being different from it. The funny thing is, I see countless posts of the type that you mentioned that say that the MSM gave the stories no mention, and yet their sources are all from the MSM. To think that ATS is not part of the MSM now underscores the ignorance of most who sign up here these days (I mean, just look at the fact that they use Google AdSense). Sadly enough, I used to think of ATS as my only source for "fringe" information, but now it is nothing more than a glorified mainstream BBS.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by freelance_zenarchist
I stopped going to the Breaking News forum a long time ago. People just compile the sickest, grossest most sensational headlines they can find for stars and flags. The topics don't even relate to "ATS niche topics like UFO's, government secrets, etc." and the articles are copy+pasted from all the main stream news sites.

I don't completely agree with this. There is some material there which in a way, I actually consider positive. EvanB started a thread an hour or so ago about a truckers' union strike in the UK. Some might question why I consider that positive, but I think it indicates that working people are being willing to stand up for themselves, which I consider a good thing.

You are correct, however, that far too much of it is sensationalistic crap, and we need to get rid of it.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I don't need to know about corrupt police bashing people

Then maybe the social issues forum is not the place for you?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join